What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pathfinder or Pilot............ or Acadia..... (1 Viewer)

Yankee23Fan

Fair Tax!
Anyone have any insight on what's better to grab; a Nissan Pathfinder or a Honda Pilot?

It will be driven into the ground with many many long car rides. As you know (if you have gone in the Disney thread) we drive to Florida a few times a year. So while resale value is a consideration I'm looking for more long term happiness with the thing and being able to beat it up.

Go.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the main consideration is that I think Honda > Nissan.

I'm on my second Pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Pathfinder have 3rd row seating?
They do which is our main consideration. We need that third row and extra space that comes (should come) with it.

The Pathfinders are a little cheaper than the Pilot's but we've had Nissan's before and we loved that car so we are comfortable with the brand. I agree with Dragons that by default we just assume Honda is better than Pathfinder, but in the end if they are close to me I'll just go with the lower price obviously.

I was also playing around with the Hyundai Veracruz certified used one owner but they are discountinued so that bugs me but I have never had a complaint with Hyundai before either. The special Ford Explorer with the third row looks really nice but the third row looks like an afterthought more than a functioning area to use.

We are on our 2nd Pilot. Great vehicle. I don't have experience with Nissan. I've had 1 Accord, 3 Civics and 2 Pilots in my life and all have been great. First Pilot was totaled in an accident around 95k miles and had given us no trouble up to that point. Civics always reached about 120k miles before significant repairs were needed. Accord was my first vehicle and purchased cheap with a lot of miles. I think it lasted me a year or two. Maybe 3.

One of the small things I really like about Pilots (and this may be true for Pathfinders for all I know) is the number of cup holders and spots to store things. It helps keep provide places to put things and reduce the mess that tends to accumulate in our vehicles.

The Pilot's third row has 3 seat belts, allowing seating for 8. Does the Pathfinder seat 7 or 8?

You might not care, but I love driving my wife's Highlander. It has a 3rd row that splits (only 2 seats, not 3), so my oldest can sit back there (with 3 boys, they fit in the middle row, but it seems to be a quieter ride when they don't sit together) and we can load up backs next to him. We have driven to Florida a few times in it without needing the roof rack. I have one if I need it and used it when we went to Marco Island because we brought a bunch of beach stuff as well, which you might not need in Orlando. It drives really nice, like my past Lexus ES did, just higher up. I had an Accord coupe and loved it a long time ago, but haven't had a Honda in a while.

The only reason I mention it is that getting in and out of our 3rd row and the room in the 3rd row is much better than my parents MDX (should be very similar to the Pilot), which is newer than our Highlander (2013 vs 2012). My oldest hated sitting in the 3rd row in that car and the middle row didn't move. The middle row in the Highlander can move up so if you do like I do with the smaller kids in the middle, you can make a lot of room in the back row for kids and/or bags. Also, not sure how the Pilot is, but you can take out the middle seat in the middle row and create a pass through. We leave the seat in now because my middle and oldest son know how to pull the seat forward to get in the back, so it's nice just having an extra seat. We also have a middle console with cup holders as well. I kept that out because my oldest would use that as a step, but I guess I could put that back in. It is nice for trips.

As dgreen mentioned, I love the cup holders in the Highlander as well. There are 4 in between the driver and passenger, which makes it much nicer to go through drive throughs or to hold the drinks for the boys in the middle that for some reason think we should hold them instead of using their cup holders.

I sat in a Pathfinder and it did not seem to have the space of a Pilot. Didn't even bother test driving although it looked great.

2014 Highlander is to have a 3rd row seat do we are going to comp that with a Pilot sometime.

What about the GMC Acadia (Chevy Traverse)? My in-laws have the smaller Chevy Equinox (GMC Terrain) , and that is a nice little SUV.
Have to admit I am looking at the Acadia too. They are really nice. This is why I hate buying cars.
Hate to throw in the "what about a minivan?" question. But they are roomier, on average get better mileage, sliding doors are nice for kids, etc.

:scared:
Have one already. I am looking for a car that will hold my fat ### comfortably and can be used in lieu of the minivan from time to time so we don't kill that thing 3 years too early. And the acadia is looking nicer and nicer.

agree with stbugs - check out the Highlander. My 2007 is running great and about to cross over 100k, I expect to keep it for another 5+ years and let my kids use it when they're driving. The 3rd row seat is smaller than adults would like but works fine for kids, mine actually fight (until I stop it) to sit back there.

When we bought back in 09, we looked at Pilots, but the Highlander was more comfortable to me. Not as many bells and whistles but that's only because we were going cheapish and used.

I love the looks of the Acadia... but I thought I read somewhere that GMC is going to sunset them.

agree with stbugs - check out the Highlander. My 2007 is running great and about to cross over 100k, I expect to keep it for another 5+ years and let my kids use it when they're driving. The 3rd row seat is smaller than adults would like but works fine for kids, mine actually fight (until I stop it) to sit back there.

When we bought back in 09, we looked at Pilots, but the Highlander was more comfortable to me. Not as many bells and whistles but that's only because we were going cheapish and used.
While not good for long trips, the Pilot's third row isn't bad for adults and still leads a little space behind it for storage.

And, at first, I did find my driver's seat in the Pilot to be a bit uncomfortable, but I'm used to it now.

Well I have now test driven a Pilot Pathfinder and Acadia....

Gotta be honest, the Acadia was the better car driving wise. Now I'm flummoxed.

Yankee23Fan said:
Anyone have any insight on what's better to grab; a Nissan Pathfinder or a Honda Pilot?

It will be driven into the ground with many many long car rides. As you know (if you have gone in the Disney thread) we drive to Florida a few times a year. So while resale value is a consideration I'm looking for more long term happiness with the thing and being able to beat it up.

Go.
Subaru Tribeca. You will thank me for the rest of your life.

You want to drive this car into the ground, right? How soon do you want that to be? ;)

GMC's quality has supposedly improved, but I'd like to hear about a GMC Acadia at 200,000 miles before buying in.

You want to drive this car into the ground, right? How soon do you want that to be? ;)

GMC's quality has supposedly improved, but I'd like to hear about a GMC Acadia at 200,000 miles before buying in.
a GB of mine had an Acadia that turned into constant headache for him before he decided to get rid of it.

:blackdot:

2000 Isuzu Trooper at 170k miles. Not looking for 3rd row, but am interested in the space they provide when removed...

FWIW - we've got a 2003 Pilot that is running strong with 165K+ on it. No major repairs, only routine maintenance. It's got plenty of room for the family (we have 3 boys) and all of their stuff (lots of sports).

My F-150 finally died after 265K+ miles, so while looking to replace that, it turned into finding the next car for my wife. The Pilot we have had bench seating for the 2nd and 3rd rows, so was an 8 passenger which was nice for carting friends around, but she really wanted the 2nd row captain;s chairs to make accessing the back row easier (with car seat in the second row, it couldn't fold forward properly to allow access to back row). We ended up getting her a Chevy Traverse and I'll know grind the Pilot down into submission for as long as it will run.

I have no experience with the Pathfinder. We've been really happy with the Traverse so far, but can;t argue with the longevity that the Pilot has provided us

You're doing yourself a disservice if you skip checking out a Toyota, IMO. Can't hurt to at least take a look.

We are on our first pilot and I have to say, so far I love the truck. I wish it was a bit higher off the ground, but the lower profile adds to the huge feeling inside. The 3rd row is great and there is still a good amount of oom behind it. Extra if you use the under compartment. Drives great, comfortable and the kids are far enough away from each othe that they can't fight too much.

We looked at the whole group of 3rd row SUVs and this one felt the biggest hands down.

When we were shopping for a small SUV for my wife, every site had the Equinox far ahead of every competitor. Fuel economy and interior room were the biggest factors, but it was also much nicer looking inside and out. It's worth noting that this was just before the Rav4 redesign so I don't know how they would compare now. But we've been extremely happy with the Equinox and have taken it on a lot of really long trips (GA to PA/CT).

The Traverse is equally strong in the larger SUV category IMO, but I think the models in that class from Toyota, Honda and Nissan are very good as well. Therefore I don't know if your choice will be as clear-cut as it was for us, but I would recommend scanning all the consumer and car sites to narrow it down, then hit the dealerships for test drives. At that point you'll probably be down to two choices, and price/features/styling will be the decider.

We have a a Enclave with a 3rd Row (walk through) with. 4 kids and never had a problem but st this point only 40k miles. We had an 09 Highlander before with a smaller walk through and got rid of it when Toyota was having all those problems.

FYI, Two large luggage fit in back with the third row too which was a big plus vs the Highlander we had. When the third row was up in the Highlander it barely fit grocery bags. I assume the new ones are bigger now, but keep that in mind.

Acadia = safest SUV on the road (along with it's cousins Envlave and Traverse). Also, thumbs up with Consumer Reports. Our next vehicle will be an Acadia.

I can argue mundane century old law with the most learned professionals in my field all day and hold my own against guys that were published and are looked at as the top of the top in law, but I can't navigate buying a fricken car.

What about the GMC Acadia (Chevy Traverse)? My in-laws have the smaller Chevy Equinox (GMC Terrain) , and that is a nice little SUV.
Have to admit I am looking at the Acadia too. They are really nice. This is why I hate buying cars.
GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse are essentially the same vehicle with some minor design differences and different engine/seating/accessories. For example, a loaded Traverse (the LTZ) generally compares to the standard semi-loaded Enclave or Acadia. They all have roomy third rows and some come standard with captains chairs (pretty cool if you dont mind seating 7 instead of 8 and want a lot of room in back but not a minivan). If the third row is important and you like these three, I would comparison shop your price range with all three and then compare them to the Highlander, Pathfinder, Pilot and even the Mazda CX-9 which also has a smaller third row.

Have never been a huge Toyota fan. Still going back and forth between Pilot, Pathfinder and Acadia. Acadia has a better price point for what I am looking for and I enjoyed driving it more than the others. In fact, I really don't like the Pilot all that much but I am allowing the Honda reputation give it the status it has on the list. Honestly, unless someone blew me away, it's probably between Pilot and Acadia at this point.

Have never been a huge Toyota fan. Still going back and forth between Pilot, Pathfinder and Acadia. Acadia has a better price point for what I am looking for and I enjoyed driving it more than the others. In fact, I really don't like the Pilot all that much but I am allowing the Honda reputation give it the status it has on the list. Honestly, unless someone blew me away, it's probably between Pilot and Acadia at this point.
If you like the Acadia and you are looking to save some or pay less, I strongly recommend you compare with the Enclave and Traverse--they are essentially the same car but prices can vary significantly depending on what you want under the hood and inside. For example, you could get a stripped down basic Traverse for a whole lot less than a standard Acadia.

Lol. I put an offer on a fully equipped acadia that I thought was fair and they want me to double my down payment to get the payment I want. If I have to spend 5 figures cash on top of a trade I want that cute chick from the at&t commercials so service me in the backseat twice before I sign.

You'd think that when tell them up front you are a lawyer they wouldn't do the usual car guy thing but apparently not. Eh still looking.....

Why are you not considering Subaru?

Lol. I put an offer on a fully equipped acadia that I thought was fair and they want me to double my down payment to get the payment I want. If I have to spend 5 figures cash on top of a trade I want that cute chick from the at&t commercials so service me in the backseat twice before I sign.

You'd think that when tell them up front you are a lawyer they wouldn't do the usual car guy thing but apparently not. Eh still looking.....
Look into the Flex man.

Why are you not considering Subaru?
The ones i am seeing are out the range i want to spend at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread