What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Zach Zenner Thread - Oh yeeaaaaaaah. (1 Viewer)

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein believes Zach Zenner will have "some sort of role" with Ameer Abdullah (foot, injured reserve) out.

Zenner was inactive the first two weeks, but Rothstein thinks he could have a goal-line role and help close out wins in the fourth quarter. Dwayne Washington, who beat out Zenner in the preseason, is also well suited for those roles and should get the first crack. Washington did have some ball-security issues in the preseason, however, and Zenner's role could grow if those issues pop up again.

Source: ESPN

Are we going to see more ZZ this weekend?
I don't think Washington is practicing so it seems likely that ZZ will be in line for some work.  Maybe 8 touches with an upside of 15?  He should also get any short yardage/goal line opportunities.

But don't get overly excited as Phili has a very good defense.

Anyone starting?

Both D. Wash and Theo out.

Great matchup vs WASH run D. Both Dodds and Bloom just moved him up to the #15-#20 RB play.

Had 15 carries last week. 

I'm desperate and considering over the likes of D. Booker, M. Davis, M. Gillislee.

Is he a last minute play today ? Riddick inactive, D Wash carted off last week and limited all week in practise. Zenner ran well last week in the 4th quarter 

Is he a last minute play today ? Riddick inactive, D Wash carted off last week and limited all week in practise. Zenner ran well last week in the 4th quarter 
He ran well against the Saints. The Bears have a good D-line & due to Swanson's concussion Tomlinson is starting at LG (he's one of the worst OL in the league.) I wouldn't recommend ZZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zenner or Washington?  Both available in lots of leagues but no news on who will pick up lion share of carries. Big choice here could provide great opportunity for some owners in need. 

Zenner or Washington?  Both available in lots of leagues but no news on who will pick up lion share of carries. Big choice here could provide great opportunity for some owners in need. 
Washington also dealing with an injury. IMO this is not a great opportunity even if ZZ gets most of the work because the line matchup favors the Bears.

starting tonight in, most likely, a losing effort.

what can we expect?

what does he need to assert his role on the team?

what are his dynasty senarios looking like?

:excited:

starting tonight in, most likely, a losing effort.

what can we expect?

what does he need to assert his role on the team?

what are his dynasty senarios looking like?

:excited:
Seattle's strength is stopping the run. I don't expect the Lions to be effective running the ball today.

Interesting matchups otherwise. Like who's got the edge between the Lions ineffective pass rush and the Seahawks bad o-line? Detroit can't throw deep down the middle, very little vertical game, and the Seahawks have been ineffective stopping that over the last six weeks. 

But the Seahawks D-line versus a Detroit line with two starters out, I don't think that's intriguing at all.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/02/06/miles-killebrew-zach-zenner-detroit-lions/97540066/

Detroit Lions veterans tout Zach Zenner, Miles Killebrew for 2017

HOUSTON -- Now that Super Bowl LI is in the books, it’s time to turn attention to the 2017 NFL season.

The draft combine is in a couple of weeks, and free agency after that. Before long will come off-season workouts and the draft.

With that timeline in mind, two veteran Detroit Lions were asked to pick a young player (or two) who might be ready to take a significant step forward this fall.

Offensively, wide receiver Anquan Boldin singled out running back Zach Zenner as a player ready for an expanded role in 2017.

Zenner, who sat behind Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick and Dwayne Washington to start the year -- and all three of those players will return in 2017, as well -- finished the season as the Lions' starter. He ran for 136 yards on 32 carries and had another 66 yards receiving in the final two games of the regular season.

“Just seeing his growth,” Boldin said. “Whenever you have a young guy like that who’s able to play every down, that’s big. He’s a guy that can run the ball effectively, he can catch out of the backfield, he can pick up blitzes. I saw him personally mature over the year, and he grabbed the coaches’ confidence. They weren’t shy about putting him in there. When they did put him in there, he responded well.”

(RotoWire) Zenner is re-signing with the Lions, Kyle Meinke of MLive.com reports. Analysis: Zenner's strong finish in 2018 could put him second in line for carries behind Kerryon Johnson, though it's still too early in the offseason to project the 27-year-old's role with much certainty. Zenner took 51 carries for 237 yards (4.6 average) and three touchdowns over the final four weeks of the 2018 campaign, plus he maintained a key role on special teams even after his involvement on offense skyrocketed.

Zenner signing with the Saints today per Ian Rappoport. Former Detroit OC Joe Lombardi is the Saints QB coach now, and Zenner is familiar with a lot of the playbook (concepts, anyway).

Doesn't mean he is being plugged in directly for a gimpy Alvin Kamara, though. More likely, Zenner's presence allows the Saints to elevate former 3rd RB Dwayne Washington for a few weeks.

Bad sign for Kamara.

Murray owners, smoke em if ya got em! 
(I’m flipping a coin between Murray & Montgomery if Kamara is out, which I’m betting he will be) 

Zenner may get “breather back” duties if Murray gets tired. 

Doesn't mean he is being plugged in directly for a gimpy Alvin Kamara, though. More likely, Zenner's presence allows the Saints to elevate former 3rd RB Dwayne Washington for a few weeks.
If Kamara is out it’s gonna be feature back Murray. 

I thought Jay Ajayi would have been an option in New Orleans.
I wonder if Ajayi's knee is still not quite right. Consider that the Saints gave WR Cameron Meredith a long trial period to come back from a bad knee injury -- he even made the opening day 52 last season. But due to that experience with Meredith, maybe the Saints are more averse to injury risk these days.

I wonder if Ajayi's knee is still not quite right. Consider that the Saints gave WR Cameron Meredith a long trial period to come back from a bad knee injury -- he even made the opening day 52 last season. But due to that experience with Meredith, maybe the Saints are more averse to injury risk these days.
Ajayi is a long-term option for a team, not a 2 week stop-gap. Doesn't really fit in to New Orleans plans.

Users who are viewing this thread