What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Zach Zenner Thread - Oh yeeaaaaaaah. (2 Viewers)

Was on nfl.com watching highlights of ZZ and the had it tagged as "Zach Zenner FB 21 yd run." Is this an error or are the lions kicking around the FB designation?

Is he at the point yet where he is a necessary handcuff to AA in re-draft?
Unless your league is very deep, I don't think he's rosteable in redraft. Bell is going to be the RB1a and Ameer RB1b. The rest are carp fighting for scraps IMO
Is Bell ever going to practice? Zenner could be starting a couple weeks at this point. Why not use your last pick on him?
What am I missing here? How could he be starting a couple of weeks when he's still behind Bell, Ameer & Riddick?
If Bell doesn't play. Some people think there are 2 roles here, Bell/ZZ and AA/Riddick. So if Bell is out ZZ gets those touches. It's not a 1,2,3,4 depth chart. It's a A1, A2, B1, B2 chart.
Correct. Lions aren't going to play AA/Riddick as an everydown guy. So who is going to take the goal line work and rotate in? If Bell isn't playing that only leaves Wynn and Zenner and I would put Zenner ahead in that case

Joique Bell - RB - Lions

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said RB Joique Bell is "moving along really well" in his recovery from offseason knee and Achilles surgeries.
Bell said he's made "good progress" though the Lions are still "playing it by ear." He hasn't suited up for any of the Lions' preseason games and has yet to resume practicing. Bell doesn't expect to be limited upon his return. Promising rookie Ameer Abdullah will have a role regardless of Bell's health.
Source: ESPN.com
Aug 30 - 9:47 AM

Zach Zenner - RB - Lions

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein expects RB Zach Zenner to play on special teams and get a "few carries here and there" if he makes the roster.
Zenner has piled on 162 rushing yards in three preseason appearances. He's likely done enough to secure a roster spot ahead of George Winn, though his workload won't be significant enough to warrant fantasy consideration.
Source: ESPN.com
Aug 30 - 9:59 AM

Was on nfl.com watching highlights of ZZ and the had it tagged as "Zach Zenner FB 21 yd run." Is this an error or are the lions kicking around the FB designation?
There's some hype that they'll list him as a FB in order to for him to make the roster cut. Perhaps even use him as FB especially in short-yardage situations, but that's jumping the gun a little. Still, even that would be a big boost for someone who was expected to be on the practice squad before the Jags preseason game.

My guess is ZZ makes the cut and might have some impact while Bell recovers, but I don't see a lot here unless Bell stays hurt. Or maybe if ZZ proves too good to bench, but that would be after a few heavy RBBC weeks. I think if you're drafting 5 or 6 RBs anyway, there are worse lottery tickets, but minus predicting injury you might be looking at someone who's lucky to get 50 touches all year.

Dr. Jene Brammel is on Twitter speculating Bell has microfracture surgery. Lions beat reporter Dave Birkett is reporting that he was told Bell had surgery in January to clean up his knee and achilles. Obviously, it was more than that. Jene says microfracture recovery is about 9 months. That seems like it could be in line with what we are seeing. That might mean Bell is not ready for the first few weeks and there is no guarantee he comes back the same.

As someone who had microfracture surgery last year I can tell you it is a very big deal. If that is what Bell ended up having in January it would be extremely aggressive to assume he returns with NFL-caliber starting RB ability anytime soon.

Zenner's value is if Bell does not come back. Despite the demise of AA suggested by many here, he is the only Lions back with a definite significant role and a clean bill of health.

As someone who had microfracture surgery last year I can tell you it is a very big deal. If that is what Bell ended up having in January it would be extremely aggressive to assume he returns with NFL-caliber starting RB ability anytime soon.
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/understanding-microfracture-helps-with-timeline/

Here is a good article to learn more. All micro-fractures are not equal. It depends on age, condition of the person with the injury, location of the injury (weight bearing vs non weight bearing) and the size of the injury. The article references Kelce. He had his microfracture surgery in October and it was recently reported that he wasn't able to start running until just before training camp. He also said he did not feel 100% (although when he got the ball, he sure looked 100%). I saw a separate study of NBA players that had the surgery. The average recovery time was 9 months which is basically right where Kelce was. That puts Joique into September/October. It is a troubling sign for Bell and a very positive sign for AA and ZZ.

Just grabbed zenner at 2.7 of a 12 team rookie draft. I'm thinking there is little risk after watching his preseason snaps and productivity on tape. Should easily overtake the injury-riddled 29 y/o Bell for early down and gl touches.
Yeah, not really.

Just grabbed zenner at 2.7 of a 12 team rookie draft. I'm thinking there is little risk after watching his preseason snaps and productivity on tape. Should easily overtake the injury-riddled 29 y/o Bell for early down and gl touches.
Yeah, not really.
Yeah, slow the roll. Joique has been activated and is back.

Link includes video:

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/638434573664260097
He looks slower than ever.

Rotoworld:

Zach Zenner - RB - Lions

Lions rookie RB Zach Zenner is not expected to have a large offensive role this season.

Joique Bell and Ameer Abdullah should serve as the Lions' primary backs with Theo Riddick filling in occasionally in passing situations. Zenner's role should be similar to the one served by George Winn, who carried the ball 19 times while mostly contributing on special teams a season ago. If Bell gets injured or is ineffective, however, Zenner could see his role expand.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Sep 7 - 9:06 AM

:no:

Rotoworld:

Zach Zenner - RB - Lions

Lions rookie RB Zach Zenner is not expected to have a large offensive role this season.

Joique Bell and Ameer Abdullah should serve as the Lions' primary backs with Theo Riddick filling in occasionally in passing situations. Zenner's role should be similar to the one served by George Winn, who carried the ball 19 times while mostly contributing on special teams a season ago. If Bell gets injured or is ineffective, however, Zenner could see his role expand.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Sep 7 - 9:06 AM
:yes:

I'm really considering dropping Shoelace for him and then I can have my personal all time back up/potential running backs (aka worst) stable.

Woodhead

McFadden

Matthews

C.Michael

D.Robinson

I'm going to hold on to the dream. The guy looked great on the caries he got in preseason and all its going to take is a few carries in a real game for this to settle itself out. Definitely, not flashy. Doesn't dance or make guys miss. Just consistently does his job, hits the hole and uses speed to get around the corner. He's also a big kid that isn't afraid of contact. Academically superior athlete. Only real knock is the college production. 3x 2k season with a lot of carries against lesser opponents in blowout games. I understand this is an uphill battle, but there isn't a better Cinderella story in the league.

I wouldn't count on Jim Caldwell having a quick hook for Joique. He seems to be from more of an old school camp and I imagine has a higher tolerance for a dependable veteran that he trusts even if he brings a low YPC. For at least the first half of the season I think injury is the only way that Zenner gets a shot at legitimate PT.

Any chance this guy finds some PT with the running game struggling?
I would say that is very doubtful. The issue is not the performance of the RBs but poor offensive line play. That's not likely to change as it's not just injuries - they're just not very talented.

Zenner had zero offensive snaps Week 2, four on the season. Barring injury the opportunity will not be there for him in 2015. But it's quite possible I'm wrong, being a random internet guy and all.

With Joique sitting out practice today and it looking like he may sit, is anyone picking up Zach Zenner in redraft?

I'm thinking he could be a nice speculative add this week if Bell does sit. At least I think he should be on watch lists.

Zenner is a nice get in dynasty if you have the space. In redraft, I'd be looking at Theo Riddick.
Yeah he's rostered in all of my dynasty leagues, I was asking specifically for redraft.

I'm thinking that Riddick's role doesn't change at all if Bell sits and that Abdullah/Zenner will split the missing carries. Big question for me is whether they'll feed all (or nearly all) of those carries to Abdullah or use Zenner in the same role as they've used Bell.

It's intriguing at the very least.

In the preseason (Joique didn't play at all) it was Riddick who got the starts and early down work. Then they mixed in Abdullah in a similar way to what is currently being done. Zenner came in after starters were pulled games 1/2, looked good, and got some run with the starters in game 3.

No idea what direction the DET backfield will go if Bell is out, but given how the line and run game has looked have a hard time backing any of them @SEA on MNF.

Gun to head, Theo gets several catches, perhaps some nice PPR totals as DET tries to play from behind.

Seems strange to me that there was a rotoblurb before last week's game that Joique's role will be reduced if he "doesn't find his old form soon," then doesn't have a good game, and now mysteriously has an ankle injury and isn't practicing even though there was no sign of such an injury in game.

I think the Lions are either planning to see what they have in Zenner or let Abdullah handle all of Joique's carries. If Joique misses practice again Friday I plan on picking up Zenner as an end of the bench stash and see how things play out.

With Joique sitting out practice today and it looking like he may sit, is anyone picking up Zach Zenner in redraft?

I'm thinking he could be a nice speculative add this week if Bell does sit. At least I think he should be on watch lists.
I added Theo in both my leagues. He's shown PPR value in the past.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/10/03/detroit-lions-zach-zenner/73274574/

Bell's ankle may open door for Lions rookie Zenner to play​

With Bell struggling with an ankle, perhaps he can provide much-needed spark to running game​

... Joique Bell missed his second straight practice with an ankle injury Friday, and the Lions might turn to Zenner to spark their struggling running game.

"He's ready," offensive coordinator Lombardi said. "If you guys knew him, you'd know he's ready. He's going to be just fine whatever is asked of him. If all our running backs wake up on Sunday with the flu, Zach Zenner can do it all."

Lombardi was noncommittal about Zenner's role against the Seahawks, but with Bell's injury history and declining production — he has gained 22 yards on 20 carries — the Lions are running out of excuses to get their undrafted rookie more involved.

Zenner was one of the team's most productive players this exhibition season, leading the NFL with 183 yards on 35 carries. He has good vision, better-than-advertised speed, and at 222 pounds, has proven he's not a liability in protection.

Rookie second-round pick Ameer Abdullah likely will start and get the bulk of the carries Monday, but with Theo Riddick relegated to mostly third-down duties, the Lions need a change-of-pace back to complement Abdullah if Bell can't play.

"I'm not sure (what my role will be)," Zenner said. "I like to go in with an open mind to any game. You never know how it's going to go. You might have a game plan and you might need to adjust, or it'll go exactly the way it's planned. As far as what I expect, like I said, open mind. Whatever they ask me to do, I'll be ready."

Coach Jim Caldwell said Zenner has made improvements as a player in recent weeks, even though his only contributions have come on special teams. And he called the trust coaches have in Zenner "quite unusual" for someone with so little experience.

"He won't have any problem knowing what he's doing, that's for sure," Caldwell said. "He's going to know what to do, and it's just a matter of doing it."

The Lions (0-3) rank last in the NFL in rushing yards and attempts, and they will face a stingy defense Monday that will have Pro Bowl safety Kam Chancellor back in the lineup for a second straight game.

Lombardi pointed to the collective struggles running the ball as one reason for the team's offensive struggles, but he expressed confidence the ground game will turn around soon.

And while Zenner could play a bigger role this week and going forward, Lombardi cautioned not to count Bell out.

"It's Week (4)," Lombardi said. "Joique obviously has done a lot of great things here. We know what he's capable of. He's coming off an injury, and there's always a little bit of trying to see where a guy is. You're testing him out.

"We felt like Joique was ready to be what he's been, and we think he's real close. Joique, whatever his statistics are, that's on all of us. It's not just Joique

Bell being ineffective as you would say it. We know that his stats aren't what we're hoping they are, but that's not indicative that Joique Bell isn't the player that we know Joique Bell to be."

I think there's not only a chance, I think it's an inevitability. Bell is a journeyman who is both old and injured. He's 29 and the team is struggling. No reason to keep pounding him at 2 yards a carry as it isn't helping you win games.

Watching his highlights I love how after a td or big runs he just gives the ball to the ref. no showboating, excitement or anything. Just do his job

Watching his highlights I love how after a td or big runs he just gives the ball to the ref. no showboating, excitement or anything. Just do his job
Country strong. Hard worker. Coaches dream. Not the most athletic but picks up the nuances.

Country strong. Hard worker. Coaches dream. Not the most athletic but picks up the nuances.
Those all sound like code words for "he's white."

;)
Real lunch pail type of guy. Like a mix of Danny Woodhead and Mike Alstott.
1) Scrappy
2) High motor
3) Gamer
4) Sneaky athletic
5) Gritty
6) Winner
7) High football IQ
8) Fundamentally sound
9) Plays the game the right way
10) Lunch pail guy
11) Heady and/or cerebral
12) Deceptive speed
13) Intangibles
14) Gets the most out of his abilities
15) Has a lot of heart
16) Grinder
17) Out-hustles
18) Someone you’d love your daughter to date

kutta said:
Darryl Talley said:
Any chance he steals the job with a good performance?
No
I'm talking about Bell's job.
I know. And I still say no. He had a few good runs against third stringers in preseason. He will never be a relevant FF guy.
He also had good runs against first stringers in the preseason. And he showed he is a very good athlete at the combine. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty skeptical about ZZ because the odds were so long. Given Joique's work ethic I figured he'd hold onto the job. Just making the final 53 & being active three weeks in a row were pretty impressive accomplishments for an UDFA.

Now that he's apparently going to get an extended look as the big back, a couple things of note: it's not just that he ran well during preseason. You should also factor in a great TC, good mini-camp & the buzz from OTAs. I bring those things up because that kind of consistency goes a long ways toward gaining the trust of the coaches & confidence of teammates.

TOUGH matchup. But he's been doing all the right things for 4-1/2 months. He's game ready.

Users who are viewing this thread