What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2012 Off Season Thread (1 Viewer)

'RGIII HTTR said:
Lorenzo Alexander switching to inside linebacker

By Mike Jones

With London Fletcher freshly inked to a new contract and fellow inside linebacker Perry Riley set as the other starter, the Washington Redskins plan to groom Lorenzo Alexander as the primary backup at both positions.

Dallas Cowboys punt returner Dwayne Harris (17) is tackled by Washington Redskins linebackers Lorenzo Alexander (97) and Perry Riley (56) in a game Sept. 26 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas (Photo by Toni L. Sandys/Washington Post)The Redskins last season used Keyaron Fox and Rocky McIntosh (after Riley took McIntosh’s starting job halfway through the year) as backups at the two inside spots. But both had inconsistent 2011 campaigns and are free agents.

Enter Alexander -- the team’s special teams captain and jack-of-all-trades player (he has played seven different positions during his five-year career).

Alexander, who in 2010 started 12 games at outside linebacker, experimented with the inside linebacker position last offseason during player-led workouts and off and on during training camp. He did that to help make himself more versatile after the addition of 2010 first-round pick Ryan Kerrigan, who last season never missed a snap at the outside linebacker position opposite Brian Orakpo.

Now, it appears Alexander showed coaches enough in those practices for them to move him to the inside.

“I’m sure I’ll still be used all over the place, but my primary focus this offseason will be inside linebacker, fully learning the position and responsibilities,” Alexander said.

The Redskins have two promising young players as backups at outside linebacker in Rob Jackson, who last season spelled Orakpo, and 2010 seventh-rounder Markus White. But for now, Alexander is the only potential reserve at inside linebacker under contract.

In the last two years, Alexander has leaned heavily on Fletcher as he learned the linebacker position, and he says being able to absorb more information from Fletcher -- the anchor for Washington’s defense over the past five season– will further aid his development.

“He’s so knowledgeable, so to be able to learn from him as I transition to inside linebacker and continue to develop in my sixth year is going to be huge,” Alexander said. “I’ll be able to play behind him and learn, and then when he retires, if I’m still fortunate to be around here, I’ll be able to slide right in and take over.”

--------

This is the kind of scary stuff that seems to still rear it's head up year after year. Do top tier or successful teams really rely on things like this? Top back-up has NEVER played the position before??? Uhhh, square peg in round hole! Please tell me they have another plan than this...draft a guy, a FA...
I highly doubt that Lorenzo Alexander will be the primary backup. Is Fox still available? I think he filled in quite a bit last year at ILB.Alexander is a great hustle player and a special teams ace. But he does not really excel at a position outside of special teams. So he has been moved around to increase his value and flexibility. I thought he did surprisingly well at OLB, but I wouldn't want him playing there a significant amount of time. The same will probably be true at ILB.

Look for the Redskins to draft 1 or 2 ILBs and have Alexander play there until they are comfortable with rookies as filling in at the position.
Agreed. Read somewhere that they were sniffing around Goff, who played for the Giants last year, to sign as a backup. I'm guessing that they'll draft 1 ILB and sign at least 1 other veteran ILB for cheap. I like the move inside for Alexander since the Skins already have 2 young backups at OLB.

wash post

Week 1: Sept. 9 at New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m.

The Redskins take on a Saints team that still will be trying to find its way without suspended head coach Sean Payton and without interim coach Joe Vitt. Even so, the Saints will again have one of the league’s best offenses, thanks to QB Drew Brees, RB Darren Sproles and WR Marques Colston.

Week 2: Sept. 16 at St. Louis Rams, 4:05 p.m.

As a result of their repeated last place finishes, the Redskins and Rams will face each other for a fifth consecutive season. Mike Shanahan and new Rams coach Jeff Fisher are close friends and Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett once served as defensive coordinator and interim head coach in St. Louisl. It was the Rams who traded the second pick of the draft to Washington in exchange for the 2011 first- and second-round picks, and first-round picks in both 2013 and 2014.

Week 3: Sept. 23 vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m.

The Redskins aim to pull off a feat similar to the one the 2011 Bengals accomplished. Cincinnati surrounded rookie quarterback Andy Dalton with a stingy defense, an effective running game and talented receivers, and posted a 9-7 campaign, earning a wild card playoff berth. Now, the Bengals want to take another step forward.

Week 4: Sept. 30 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4:15 p.m.

New Redskins secondary coach Raheem Morris faces the team he served as head coach for the last three seasons. If they remain healthy, the game also will feature a meeting between the NFL’s ironmen – Washington’s London Fletcher and Tampa Bay’s Ronde Barber – both of whom enter the season having played 224 consecutive games.

Week 5: Oct. 7 vs. Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m.

The Falcons, coming off of a 10-6 campaign, ranked seventh in the NFL in scoring (25.1 points a game) last season and expect Julio Jones to build on a rookie season when he recorded 54 catches for 959 yards and eight touchdowns. But Atlanta lost both its offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator during the offseason.

Week 6: Oct. 14 vs. Minnesota Vikings, 4:15 p.m.

The Vikings visit the Redskins for a second consecutive year, and look to pick up their third consecutive victory over Washington. In last year’s Christmas Eve meeting, Minnesota overcame the loss of both quarterback Christian Ponder and running back Adrian Peterson to win, 33-26, behind backups Joe Webb and Toby Gerhart.

Week 7: Oct. 21 at New York Giants, 1 p.m.

The league’s longest-running rivalry is renewed as the Redskins visit the defending Super Bowl champs. Two of Washington’s five victories in 2011 came against the Giants, who figure to welcome the Redskins’ quarterback to the NFC East with a physical attack led by pass rushers Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and Osi Umenyiora.

Week 8: Oct. 28 at Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.

In their first regular season meeting since 2008, the Redskins figure to face a challenging assignment as they take on Ben Roethlisberger & Co. on offense and James Harrison, Troy Polamalu and the gang on defense.

Week 9: Nov. 4 vs. Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m.

This meeting is expected to feature a meeting between the last two Heisman Trophy winners: Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, and the Redskins Robert Griffin III. In his first meeting with the Redskins last season, Newton passed for 256 yards (completing a season-high 78.3 percent of his passes) and a touchdown. He also rushed for 59 yards and a touchdown in Carolina’s 33-20 victory.

Week 10: Nov. 11 Bye

Week 11: Nov. 18 vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m.

In a game that is expected to feature the first duel between Robert Griffin III and the quarterback he is often compared to, Philadelphia’s Michael Vick, the Redskins try to reverse their home fortunes against the Eagles. Washington has lost three straight home games to the Eagles. Last season’s 20-13 loss at FedEx Field began the 1-5 skid that ended Washington’s season.

Week 12: Nov. 22 at Dallas Cowboys, 4:15 p.m.

Washington pays Dallas a visit for its first Thanksgiving Day game since 2002. It also could be Robert Griffin III’s first professional game in his home state. The Redskins have lost three straight games in Dallas. Their last victory on the Cowboys’ home turf came Sept. 28, 2008.

Week 13: Dec. 3 vs. New York Giants, 8:30 p.m.

In their second meeting of the season, Washington will either aim for a second consecutive sweep of the Giants,or look to avenge an early season loss. It’s been a while since a late-season meeting between these teams meant something. Will things change this year?

Week 14: Dec. 9 vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.

The hard-running Ray Rice comes to town, one of the toughest assignments of the season for the Redskins defense. Meanwhile, Washington’s offensive linemen will try to fend off Terrell Suggs and his mates to give a rookie quarterback time to make plays.

Week 15: Dec. 16 at Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m.

The Browns wanted the chance to draft Robert Griffin III, but Washington outbid them, agreeing to send three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis. Neither team exactly lit it up the last time these two rebuilding franchises faced each other in 2008, as Washington squeaked out a 14-11 victory at FedEx Field.

Week 16: Dec. 23 at Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m.

Swept by the Eagles in 2011, the Redskins look to reverse their fortunes in Lincoln Financial Field. A lot could be riding on this meeting if the teams are battling for a playoff spot.

Week 17: Dec. 30 vs. Dallas Cowboys, 1 p.m.

The Redskins welcome the arch-rival Cowboys, and attempt to beat Dallas at home for the first time since the 2010 season opener, when Washington pulled off a 13-7 victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
'RGIII HTTR said:

By Mike Jones

With London Fletcher freshly inked to a new contract and fellow inside linebacker Perry Riley set as the other starter, the Washington Redskins plan to groom Lorenzo Alexander as the primary backup at both positions.

Dallas Cowboys punt returner Dwayne Harris (17) is tackled by Washington Redskins linebackers Lorenzo Alexander (97) and Perry Riley (56) in a game Sept. 26 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas (Photo by Toni L. Sandys/Washington Post)The Redskins last season used Keyaron Fox and Rocky McIntosh (after Riley took McIntosh’s starting job halfway through the year) as backups at the two inside spots. But both had inconsistent 2011 campaigns and are free agents.

Enter Alexander -- the team’s special teams captain and jack-of-all-trades player (he has played seven different positions during his five-year career).

Alexander, who in 2010 started 12 games at outside linebacker, experimented with the inside linebacker position last offseason during player-led workouts and off and on during training camp. He did that to help make himself more versatile after the addition of 2010 first-round pick Ryan Kerrigan, who last season never missed a snap at the outside linebacker position opposite Brian Orakpo.

Now, it appears Alexander showed coaches enough in those practices for them to move him to the inside.

“I’m sure I’ll still be used all over the place, but my primary focus this offseason will be inside linebacker, fully learning the position and responsibilities,” Alexander said.

The Redskins have two promising young players as backups at outside linebacker in Rob Jackson, who last season spelled Orakpo, and 2010 seventh-rounder Markus White. But for now, Alexander is the only potential reserve at inside linebacker under contract.

In the last two years, Alexander has leaned heavily on Fletcher as he learned the linebacker position, and he says being able to absorb more information from Fletcher -- the anchor for Washington’s defense over the past five season– will further aid his development.

“He’s so knowledgeable, so to be able to learn from him as I transition to inside linebacker and continue to develop in my sixth year is going to be huge,” Alexander said. “I’ll be able to play behind him and learn, and then when he retires, if I’m still fortunate to be around here, I’ll be able to slide right in and take over.”

--------

This is the kind of scary stuff that seems to still rear it's head up year after year. Do top tier or successful teams really rely on things like this? Top back-up has NEVER played the position before??? Uhhh, square peg in round hole! Please tell me they have another plan than this...draft a guy, a FA...
I highly doubt that Lorenzo Alexander will be the primary backup. Is Fox still available? I think he filled in quite a bit last year at ILB.Alexander is a great hustle player and a special teams ace. But he does not really excel at a position outside of special teams. So he has been moved around to increase his value and flexibility. I thought he did surprisingly well at OLB, but I wouldn't want him playing there a significant amount of time. The same will probably be true at ILB.

Look for the Redskins to draft 1 or 2 ILBs and have Alexander play there until they are comfortable with rookies as filling in at the position.
Agreed. Read somewhere that they were sniffing around Goff, who played for the Giants last year, to sign as a backup. I'm guessing that they'll draft 1 ILB and sign at least 1 other veteran ILB for cheap. I like the move inside for Alexander since the Skins already have 2 young backups at OLB.
disagreeI bet ILB is Lo Al's best position. he was out of position at OLB, but gave it his all. Inside, he should be focused on stuffing the run and less on pass coverage. this guy was originally a lineman, and they asked him to cover! absurd. look for him to team with Fletch to shut down ground games.

'RGIII HTTR said:

By Mike Jones

--------

disagreeI bet ILB is Lo Al's best position. he was out of position at OLB, but gave it his all. Inside, he should be focused on stuffing the run and less on pass coverage. this guy was originally a lineman, and they asked him to cover! absurd. look for him to team with Fletch to shut down ground games.
I thought in a 3-4, ILBs have more coverage responsibility than OLBs. OLBs rush the passer on half the passing downs. ILBs don't rush that much as all. It looks like as Alexander gets older, they are expecting him to cover more ground.

The Washington Redskins should change their demeaning racist 'Redskins' team name because it is a disparaging ethnic slur to Native American Indians. It is an insult.Once I moved about like the wind. Now I surrender to you and that is all - Geronimo (Apache medicine man and warrior)
Redskins is more offensive than some names like Warriors. Hated when Marquette quit that name. The "Skins" could alter the name slightly to something classier. Like Warriors.Not a Redskins fan but could be an exciting team this year.

From PFT:

Plenty of you have asked in recent days for an update on the status of the grievance filed by the Redskins and Cowboys after the removal of $46 million in total cap space from the two teams by the NFL. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, a hearing will be held in May. The grievance will be handled by Special Master Stephen Burbank, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
:boxing:

I like Lorenzo Alexander a lot. He's one of the good guys on the team, both on the field and off. My personal opinion is that he's good enough to back up a number of positions, but not good enough to be a starter at any of them.

I'm not sure what all the worry is about, regarding Lorenzo Alexander. Fletcher and Riley are the starters, and will stay on the field a lot. The team will have another ILB on the roster come week 1. If anything, moving Alexander to ILB is just a way to maximize keeping promising young players and significant special teams players all on the roster. The article mentioned Rob Jackson and Markus White at OLB. If Alexander remained at OLB the team would still need to roster 2 backup ILBs, so he'd be eating up a precious roster spot. The move allows the team to keep him on the roster for ST purposes, as well as keeping Jackson and White, whom they apparently like, too.

The "braintrust" wants to get rid of their leading receiver from last year.

In an interview with Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Radio on Wednesday, Gaffney said that he wants to remain with the team. The feeling doesn’t seem to be mutual as Gaffney said that Mike and Kyle Shanahan told him he didn’t need to report to work for the first two weeks of the offseason program. That timeframe would take him through the end of the draft, a period that would indicate what the Redskins are looking for in a deal.
Sometimes I wonder if they have any clue at all about personnel, or whether they just throw darts.

In an interview with Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Radio on Wednesday, Gaffney said that he wants to remain with the team. The feeling doesn’t seem to be mutual as Gaffney said that Mike and Kyle Shanahan told him he didn’t need to report to work for the first two weeks of the offseason program. That timeframe would take him through the end of the draft, a period that would indicate what the Redskins are looking for in a deal.
Sometimes I wonder if they have any clue at all about personnel, or whether they just throw darts.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Gaffney was a 2nd tier WR before he got to the Redskins, and he will probably be that later on. Mike Shanahan once said that you don't get rid of someone until you know you have someone better to replace him. So they must feel that between Garcon, Morgan, and maybe Hankerson, they ahve someone better to replace Gaffney.

If Santana Moss was welcomed to the off-season conditioning program, it could mean that he is in this years plans.

Sounds like they are upgrading at the position, I see this as a good thing. Gaffney seemed to be allergic to yards after the catch anyway

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Gaffney was a 2nd tier WR before he got to the Redskins, and he will probably be that later on. Mike Shanahan once said that you don't get rid of someone until you know you have someone better to replace him. So they must feel that between Garcon, Morgan, and maybe Hankerson, they ahve someone better to replace Gaffney.

If Santana Moss was welcomed to the off-season conditioning program, it could mean that he is in this years plans.
I agree. Gaffney is a 31 year old receiver with little to no yards after the catch ability and is coming off a career year. If they can get something for him now is the time to do it.

I agree. Gaffney is a 31 year old receiver with little to no yards after the catch ability and is coming off a career year. If they can get something for him now is the time to do it.
The most they'd get for him is a 6th or 7th round pick. Likely no one will trade for him.It's odd to me to see the advantage in getting rid of the guy who was their most productive WR last year, by a long margin. NFL.com stats.

Garcon and Morgan have proven nothing here except that they're signed. Hankerson has proven little. Moss has proven he's in decline. They should hold on to Gaffney at least through training camp, and maybe the preseason as well. There's no guarantee they have anyone who will do better --- just wishing and hoping. I'd be glad if Morgan, Garcon, and Hankerson all outperformed him, but assuming they'll do so is just dumb. His last 2 years were 65 and 68 catches for 875 and 947 yards.

Mike Jones

The Redskins’ regular season schedule ties for the sixth-easiest, based on their opponents’ combined records. The teams Washington will face in 2012 went a combined 125-131 (.488 winning percentage) in 2011.

Last season, Washington had the fourth-easiest schedule, facing foes with a combined 121-135 record (.473 winning percentage). The Redskins went 5-11, however.

The most they'd get for him is a 6th or 7th round pick. Likely no one will trade for him.It's odd to me to see the advantage in getting rid of the guy who was their most productive WR last year, by a long margin. NFL.com stats.

Garcon and Morgan have proven nothing here except that they're signed. Hankerson has proven little. Moss has proven he's in decline. They should hold on to Gaffney at least through training camp, and maybe the preseason as well. There's no guarantee they have anyone who will do better --- just wishing and hoping. I'd be glad if Morgan, Garcon, and Hankerson all outperformed him, but assuming they'll do so is just dumb. His last 2 years were 65 and 68 catches for 875 and 947 yards.
I always assumed Gaffneys success here was mainly due to the chemistry he had with Grossman. How many WRs do they have going into TC? Somebody's has to be cut.

I always assumed Gaffneys success here was mainly due to the chemistry he had with Grossman. How many WRs do they have going into TC? Somebody's has to be cut.
The prior year Gaffney had similar numbers with Orton.Receptions last year by WR'sJabar Gaffney 68 Santana Moss 46 Donte' Stallworth 22 Leonard Hankerson 13 Terrence Austin 12 Anthony Armstrong 7 David Anderson 6 Niles Paul 2 Brandon Banks 1 Plenty of cut options there besides the top guy. The next 2 on the list combined for as many catches as Gaffney. And all the others totaled 41. Gaffney had about 40% of all WR catches last year.

'fatness said:
Plenty of cut options there besides the top guy. The next 2 on the list combined for as many catches as Gaffney. And all the others totaled 41. Gaffney had about 40% of all WR catches last year.
Except they aren't trying to cut him. They are trying to get something of value for him. With the FA additions, the return of Hankerson and the very possible addition of at least one more WR added to the roster through the draft, there's just not going to be enough starting spots available for the talent (and contracts) on the roster. As the stats you posted show, Gaffney is about the only WR from last year that will garner anything of value.I'm a Gaffney fan for what he did/was for our struggling team last year, but if the coaches feel they can be better and younger, and add another draft pick, without him, I'm OK with that. The future of the franchise isn't a Gaffney/Grossman connection. It's a Griffen/WR X connection, and it's probably best if that WR is isn't on the wrong side of 30.

'fatness said:
'thayman said:
The prior year Gaffney had similar numbers with Orton.Receptions last year by WR'sJabar Gaffney 68 Santana Moss 46 Donte' Stallworth 22 Leonard Hankerson 13 Terrence Austin 12 Anthony Armstrong 7 David Anderson 6 Niles Paul 2 Brandon Banks 1 Plenty of cut options there besides the top guy. The next 2 on the list combined for as many catches as Gaffney. And all the others totaled 41. Gaffney had about 40% of all WR catches last year.
Gaffney doesn't play special teams, right? I really don't see a spot available on the roster for him:These guys are pretty much locks to make the roster, and I'm pretty sure only one of them will play special teams (Paul):GarconMorganHankersonPaulAssuming they carry 6 wr's, that leaves 2 spots for the following guys:Moss GaffneyAustinArmstrongBanksRobinson(Anderson? not sure if he is still on the roster)Unless they draft a db or wr who returns kicks, or give the job to Paul, one of these guys they keep needs to be able to return kicks, which Gaffney doesn't. Moss excels at being a slot wr, which Gaffney doesn't. If 100% healthy, Armstrong is a good deep threat AND plays special teams, as compared to Gaffney who is a possession wr who doesn't play teams. Only way it makes since to keep Gaffney, imo, is if Hankerson doesn't fully recover from his injury and they put him on IR (or there is another wr injury in training camp). What they're doing makes sense to me - try and trade Gaffney and get something for him. If they aren't able to find any takers (which is the most likely scenario) then I would be for bringing him to training camp as insurance in case of a wr injury, but they're so tight against the cap, they may have to cut him.

'fatness said:
'thayman said:
Gaffney doesn't play special teams, right? I really don't see a spot available on the roster for him:These guys are pretty much locks to make the roster, and I'm pretty sure only one of them will play special teams (Paul):GarconMorganHankersonPaulAssuming they carry 6 wr's, that leaves 2 spots for the following guys:Moss GaffneyAustinArmstrongBanksRobinson(Anderson? not sure if he is still on the roster)Unless they draft a db or wr who returns kicks, or give the job to Paul, one of these guys they keep needs to be able to return kicks, which Gaffney doesn't. Moss excels at being a slot wr, which Gaffney doesn't. If 100% healthy, Armstrong is a good deep threat AND plays special teams, as compared to Gaffney who is a possession wr who doesn't play teams. Only way it makes since to keep Gaffney, imo, is if Hankerson doesn't fully recover from his injury and they put him on IR (or there is another wr injury in training camp). What they're doing makes sense to me - try and trade Gaffney and get something for him. If they aren't able to find any takers (which is the most likely scenario) then I would be for bringing him to training camp as insurance in case of a wr injury, but they're so tight against the cap, they may have to cut him.
Armstrong did nothing at all last year. If it's about keeping the best players, he, Robinson, and Banks should go. Banks was a nice novelty that didn't pay any big dividends. Austin can return kicks (I think?), Morgan can return kicks, Banks is unneeded. I agree with you, that if they can't get anything of value for Gaffney (and I don't think a 6th or 7th is value), keep him through training camp. Getting rid of vets too early when they have something left in the tank can be a mistake --- they traded Campbell to make way for McNabb, then had to resort to Grossman when they yanked McNabb. Suppose Garcon gets hurt and Hankerson isn't fully recovered --- Gaffney will look a bit better then than "Some Guy". I think they're trying to dump him due to his Twitter problem and to make salary cap space. At a weak position, I'm not sure that's wise at this time. Unless someone decides to offer something substantial for him, which is unlikely.

Unless they draft a db or wr who returns kicks, or give the job to Paul, one of these guys they keep needs to be able to return kicks, which Gaffney doesn't.
Josh Morgan has returned kicks in the pros and had PR/KR experience in college.
Ok I didn't know that. Good to know. I wonder if he's in the team's plans for returning kicks or if they want someone else to do it.

'fatness said:
'thayman said:
Armstrong did nothing at all last year. If it's about keeping the best players, he, Robinson, and Banks should go. Banks was a nice novelty that didn't pay any big dividends. Austin can return kicks (I think?), Morgan can return kicks, Banks is unneeded. I agree with you, that if they can't get anything of value for Gaffney (and I don't think a 6th or 7th is value), keep him through training camp. Getting rid of vets too early when they have something left in the tank can be a mistake --- they traded Campbell to make way for McNabb, then had to resort to Grossman when they yanked McNabb. Suppose Garcon gets hurt and Hankerson isn't fully recovered --- Gaffney will look a bit better then than "Some Guy". I think they're trying to dump him due to his Twitter problem and to make salary cap space. At a weak position, I'm not sure that's wise at this time. Unless someone decides to offer something substantial for him, which is unlikely.
Armstrong did nothing last year because he had nagging injuries all season. In 2010 he had just as many receiving yards as Gaffney did last year. If Armstrong is 100% healthy and back in 2010 form, I'd rather have him than Gaffney, since he's a legitimate deep threat and the only other deep threat on the roster right now is Garcon. RG3 throws an excellent deep ball. He should one of the better qb's at throwing the deep ball in the league from day 1, and ideally this team needs a couple of legitimate deep threats at wr. Also, Armstrong plays teams while Gaffney doesn't.Robinson looked bad last year and I think he'll struggle to make the practice squad. I agree with you and others on Banks. The only way it makes sense to use a precious roster spot on a return specialist like Banks is if he's elite (i.e. top 5 return man in the league) and Banks hasn't proven he's elite. Austin really hasn't shown much either.I think a 6th or 7th round pick for Gaffney would be solid value. If you can get ANY draft pick for a player that's likely to be cut in training camp, you're getting good value.

Gaffney for Talib "Talk about it..."

Fatty, I think Gaffney didn't help himself with Twitter. I'd also point out that he has never stayed anywhere too long, maybe he's not that great of a teammate or locker room guy. Then again, as pointed out...he doesn't play special teams and clearly will be 4th WR at best for us as Garcon, Morgan and Hanktime will get majority. Only so many possession WR's can fill a WR corps. Not to far off or it's a very similar situation for Hines Ward in PIT IMO.

Niles Paul preparing to switch to tight end

As the Washington Redskins began their voluntary offseason conditioning program this week, second-year pro Niles Paul started preparing to switch from wide receiver to tight end. Paul, whom the Redskins drafted in the fifth round out of Nebraska last year, played in 13 games as a rookie, recording two catches for 25 yards. Most of his action came on special teams, but he did start two games at receiver and pleased coaches with his effective blocking.In the last three games of the season, with Chris Cooley on injured reserve, and Fred Davis suspended, the Redskins used Paul sparingly as a backup tight end. Apparently, Mike Shanahan and his assistants liked what they saw.

“Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I’d feel about switching to tight end,” Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. “I told him, ‘I’ll play wherever you want me.’"

Armstrong did nothing last year because he had nagging injuries all season. In 2010 he had just as many receiving yards as Gaffney did last year. If Armstrong is 100% healthy and back in 2010 form, I'd rather have him than Gaffney, since he's a legitimate deep threat and the only other deep threat on the roster right now is Garcon. RG3 throws an excellent deep ball. He should one of the better qb's at throwing the deep ball in the league from day 1, and ideally this team needs a couple of legitimate deep threats at wr. Also, Armstrong plays teams while Gaffney doesn't.
I love Anthony Armstrong. In 2010 he was the player on the team I rooted for most, since he had been cut so many times and said he refused to let coaches cut him any more. But I think it's a mistake to assume he'll be back to his "one year only" forum, and to cut Gaffney based on that assumption.
I think a 6th or 7th round pick for Gaffney would be solid value. If you can get ANY draft pick for a player that's likely to be cut in training camp, you're getting good value.
If Gaffney's likely to be cut, I don't think it's for football reasons. I don't see any Redskin WR from last year who's likely to outperform him this year. It is possible that some do, and we'll know that in training camp and preseason. But it is not likely. Football is essentially about putting your best players on the field, not "getting value". And I don't think taking a longshot at a 6th or 7th round player (if they're lucky enough to get that from another team) who is likely drafted to play some position other than WR is improving what was a woeful WR group last year.

Armstrong did nothing last year because he had nagging injuries all season. In 2010 he had just as many receiving yards as Gaffney did last year. If Armstrong is 100% healthy and back in 2010 form, I'd rather have him than Gaffney, since he's a legitimate deep threat and the only other deep threat on the roster right now is Garcon. RG3 throws an excellent deep ball. He should one of the better qb's at throwing the deep ball in the league from day 1, and ideally this team needs a couple of legitimate deep threats at wr. Also, Armstrong plays teams while Gaffney doesn't.
I love Anthony Armstrong. In 2010 he was the player on the team I rooted for most, since he had been cut so many times and said he refused to let coaches cut him any more. But I think it's a mistake to assume he'll be back to his "one year only" forum, and to cut Gaffney based on that assumption.
I think a 6th or 7th round pick for Gaffney would be solid value. If you can get ANY draft pick for a player that's likely to be cut in training camp, you're getting good value.
If Gaffney's likely to be cut, I don't think it's for football reasons. I don't see any Redskin WR from last year who's likely to outperform him this year. It is possible that some do, and we'll know that in training camp and preseason. But it is not likely. Football is essentially about putting your best players on the field, not "getting value". And I don't think taking a longshot at a 6th or 7th round player (if they're lucky enough to get that from another team) who is likely drafted to play some position other than WR is improving what was a woeful WR group last year.
One element that you are missing is that every roster decision is made base on projected production for this coming year AND future potential production. Hankerson may not be able to outproduce Gaffney in 2012, but his future potential makes him a near lock to be on the roster. Since Gaffney is 31, his potential upside is very limited, making him less valuable, whether the Redskins keep him or trade him. Also, for the amounts of money they are paying Garcon and Morgan, I would certainly hope they will at least equal Gaffney's production from last year. If they don't, Shanahan has made a big mistake in free agency.

I guarantee a WR ends up with better stats in '12 than Gaffney did in '11Why are we talking about Jabar freaking Gaffney anyway?

From PFT on the last of Restricted Free Agent Signings. I still think the collusion involved with the Redskin cap penalties will come back to bite the NFL.

Less than a day to go, and no RFA offer sheets have been signed

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT

Once upon a time, restricted free agents signed offer sheets with new teams. Sometimes, those offer sheets were matched. Sometimes, they weren’t. Either way, it was a key part of the player movement/contract process.

Lately, restricted free agency has dried up. In 2010, when the rules of the uncapped year pushed eligibility for unrestricted free agency from four years to six years of service, only one player (former NFL running back Mike Bell) signed an offer sheet. That led to a collusion claim from the NFLPA.

This year, with 42 restricted free agents and the period for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets expiring at midnight, no offer sheets have been signed.

For players like Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who reportedly wants huge money, it makes sense to keep the first-round pick that would go to the Steelers as compensation and use it on a rookie who would be paid far less money over the next five years. But for players like Steelers starting left guard/backup center Doug Legursky, who could have been had with no compensation at all, the fact that no one tried to sign him makes no sense.

Unless, of course, teams have agreed among themselves not to try to sign each other’s restricted free agents. Which would be collusion.

After 2013, restricted free agency will become even less relevant (if that’s possible), given that all contract for drafted rookies now are at least four years in duration. Thus, come 2014, only undrafted players or players cut within three years of being drafted and not claimed on waivers will ever be restricted free agents.

Still, with the relationship between the NFL and NFLPA suddenly deteriorating, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if the union claims that collusion has forced the 42 restricted free agents to play under one-year deals in 2012.

From PFT on the last of Restricted Free Agent Signings. I still think the collusion involved with the Redskin cap penalties will come back to bite the NFL.
So do I. And now the NFL has filed something or other to block the Redskins' and Cowboys' arbitration hearing. What the NFL has done will not withstand any public scrutiny at all. NFL seeks dismissal of Redskins’ and Cowboys’ salary cap case

Several teams in the league, Baltimore and San Diego among them, are pissed that the Redskins drove up player salaries, raising the cost of franchising players. That's what the penalties are about, not "competitive balance".

Niles Paul moving to TE could make things difficult for Cooley

An interesting development, I'd say, given the Redskins' current tight end situation. The star of the group is Fred Davis, who was the Redskins' most dynamic receiving threat in 2011 before missing the final four games due to a drug suspension. The fan favorite is Chris Cooley, who missed 11 games with hand and knee problems and carries a $6.23 million cap figure for 2012. Adding Paul to the mix to see whether he can become a viable option is worthwhile both ways. With all of the new options at wide receiver, it's probably Paul's best way to try and make sure he has a spot on the team. And from the team's standpoint, if he shows he can play it, it allows the Redskins some flexibility in their decision-making with regard to Cooley.

The Redskins like Cooley and love to be able to run two-tight end sets that help set the perimeter for the offense. But they do have salary-cap concerns, in large part because they're losing $18 million in cap room each of the next two years as punishment from the league for their spending behavior in 2010, and $6.23 million is a lot for Cooley if he can't get on the field. They could ask him to take a pay cut or restructure, but their leverage in such a negotiation would be limited if they didn't have another option for replacing him. Cooley is also a candidate to be cut, in which case, obviously, the team would like to have replacement options.

Chris Russell

NFL Network's @AlbertBreer says "The #Redskins & #Cowboys have a heck of a chance to win this one." on the @NFL @NFLPA cap penalties.
I'm not sure what "winning" will look like here other than to be able to say, "See, we didn't do anything wrong." I mean, yeah, if the timing works, they won't have the penalty next year. But, this year's penalty being removed doesn't really help since there's nobody left to spend money on.

Chris Russell

NFL Network's @AlbertBreer says "The #Redskins & #Cowboys have a heck of a chance to win this one." on the @NFL @NFLPA cap penalties.
I'm not sure what "winning" will look like here other than to be able to say, "See, we didn't do anything wrong." I mean, yeah, if the timing works, they won't have the penalty next year. But, this year's penalty being removed doesn't really help since there's nobody left to spend money on.
A couple of supplemental picks in next year's draft might take some of the sting out of the Skins getting screwed by the NFL this year. I'm not sure if an arbitrator has the power to make that happen however.

Chris Russell

My hope would be they add 18mil to next year's cap for us, but I but they just lift the penalty add we get the room this year. Damage will still be done by missing some signings, but they will get creative again and make sure the space is used by restructuring guys and gaining even more room for next year.

Draft team needs: Washington Redskins

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

The Washington Redskins need to make something happen.

No, Mike Shanahan needs to make something happen.

In Shanahan's two years as Redskins head coach, the club is 11-21 -- the worst two-year record of any coach hired by owner Dan Snyder.

So change must come, and it will. With the second pick of the draft, the Redskins will take Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III and maybe, just maybe, solve the problems at quarterback that have plagued them for years.

But there's still one problem: They play in the NFC East, home to three teams that should be better than Washington, including the defending Super Bowl champions. Change will come in Washington, but the question is: How long before it has an impact?

QB: The Redskins need a quarterback like Washington needs air conditioning in July. And they'll get one when RG3 is available with the second pick of the draft. Washington hasn't had a credible quarterback for years, but they'll have one now. I know, they mortgaged the future for him, but they had no choice. As one coach put it a couple of months ago, if they didn't get Peyton Manning or one of the two top quarterbacks in this draft, they were going to lose their jobs. Well, they're getting one of the two best quarterbacks in the draft. The urgency was there because the Redskins couldn't win with John Beck and Rex Grossman, period. Griffin becomes the immediate starter, and Mike Shanahan keeps his fingers crossed. RG3 can't afford to have growing pains ... not after what Washington paid to get him.

RB: I never used to worry about this position with Shanahan's teams because he always seemed to find a 1,000-yard rusher, no matter where the player was drafted or where he played. Only that hasn't been the case in Washington. In Shanahan's first season there, the team had no 1,000-yard rusher. Ditto for the second. And in neither year did the Redskins rank higher than 25th in rushing. People wonder what's wrong with Washington's quarterbacks; you might ask instead what's wrong with their running game. Shanahan didn't have great quarterbacks in Denver after John Elway retired, but he still won -- and he won because he could run the ball. With the 'Skins, he has been forced to try a running back-by-committee approach, largely because of injuries, but now he'll give the job to Roy Helu -- with Evan Royster in the wings. Helu produced three straight 100-yard games at the end of last season before he was hurt. Then Royster stepped in and finished with two more 100-yard efforts. If Helu can stay healthy, the Redskins may be ready and able to produce a running game.

WR: No sooner had free agency begun than the Redskins dropped millions on free agents Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan before trying to sign Eddie Royal, who wound up going to San Diego. That tells you a little about the situation at this position. It's not good. Santana Moss is supposed to be the top receiver, only he wasn't last year; Jabar Gaffney was. Moss, who missed four games, put up his lowest totals as a Redskin last season. Also, he turns 33 in June. I don't know what he has left, but I do know he's a descending player -- one of the reasons the Redskins went shopping last month. Gaffney is not expected to return, so the Redskins could be in the market for depth. But they invested so heavily in this position during free agency, I can't imagine them making a move before the middle or late rounds. Remember, they have Leonard Hankerson and Anthony Armstrong as fallback possibilities, and that's not all that bad.

TE: Keeping Fred Davis was important. The guy is young, talented and a perfect safety net for a new quarterback. He was leading the club in catches, yards receiving and TD receptions when a positive drug test cost him a four-game suspension. Chris Cooley has been the lead dog here, but not lately. With him missing 20 games the past three years, you have to start wondering what his future looks like.

OL: The Redskins made no moves here in free agency outside of re-signing center Will Montgomery, which tells you they think they're OK at this position. But that's the problem, because they're adequate and nothing more. Left tackle Trent Williams is the best of the bunch, but he missed the final four games due to a drug suspension. Williams is young and promising, but he's not consistent. Right tackle Jammal Brown isn't young (31), but he is consistent -- consistently ordinary, failing to flash the form that made him a Pro Bowl left tackle in New Orleans. Montgomery is the best of the rest, though guard Kory Lichtensteiger looked decent before bowing out last season with a torn ACL. Reserve Willie Smith held up surprisingly well in relief of Williams late last year. Still, Washington could use help here, though it won't come early.

DL: No unit on this team improved as much last season as the defensive line. Defensive end Adam Carriker seemed more comfortable in defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's 3-4 scheme, while newcomers Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen plugged leaks -- particularly Cofield, who was a marked improvement at nose tackle. Kedric Golston is reliable, but he's coming off a season-ending knee injury, while defensive tackle Chris Neild must show more than he did as a rookie. There is room here for backup help.

LB: Ageless London Fletcher returns for another season, and his turning 37 next month should indicate he's slowing down. Only he's not. Fletcher went to his third straight Pro Bowl last season, and for good reason: the guy's a tackling machine. So he returns as captain of the defense. Washington is set outside with Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo and felt comfortable enough with Perry Riley at the other inside spot that it let Rocky McIntosh, who fell out of favor with the coaching staff and lost his starting job, test free agency. Lorenzo Alexander is a decent backup, but his playing time last season was reserved almost exclusively for special teams.

DB: No area has been overhauled as much as the secondary, where the Redskins should have three new starters -- including both safeties. It figures. Washington was burned by big plays last season, and management resolved to do something about it. So it signed free agents Brandon Meriweather, Tanard Jackson, Madieu Williams and Cedric Griffin and will start Jackson, Griffin, Reed Doughty and DeAngelo Hall. Meriweather stunk in Chicago, Tampa Bay let Jackson walk and Griffin, who started for Minnesota but was benched late in the year, was cut by the Vikings after six seasons. Meriweather didn't fit the Bears' Cover-2 scheme, and it will be up to secondary coach Raheem Morris to try to get the former first-round draft pick motivated and focused. Jackson was cut after he failed a physical, but he's expected to be ready by training camp. Make Morris a factor there too, with the Redskins hoping he finds something in one of his former Tampa Bay players.

A couple of supplemental picks in next year's draft might take some of the sting out of the Skins getting screwed by the NFL this year. I'm not sure if an arbitrator has the power to make that happen however.
The arbitrator has the power to decide compensation.

My hope would be they add 18mil to next year's cap for us, but I but they just lift the penalty add we get the room this year. Damage will still be done by missing some signings, but they will get creative again and make sure the space is used by restructuring guys and gaining even more room for next year.
I think that's exactly what the Skins will do if the $18 million salary cap hit is reversed for this year --- restructure contracts to take the hit this year, freeing up more cap space and giving a big F U to the other 30 teams.

DB: No area has been overhauled as much as the secondary, where the Redskins should have three new starters -- including both safeties. It figures. Washington was burned by big plays last season, and management resolved to do something about it. So it signed free agents Brandon Meriweather, Tanard Jackson, Madieu Williams and Cedric Griffin and will start Jackson, Griffin, Reed Doughty and DeAngelo Hall. Meriweather stunk in Chicago, Tampa Bay let Jackson walk and Griffin, who started for Minnesota but was benched late in the year, was cut by the Vikings after six seasons. Meriweather didn't fit the Bears' Cover-2 scheme, and it will be up to secondary coach Raheem Morris to try to get the former first-round draft pick motivated and focused. Jackson was cut after he failed a physical, but he's expected to be ready by training camp. Make Morris a factor there too, with the Redskins hoping he finds something in one of his former Tampa Bay players.
Thanks for posting that. I bolded the part that scares the hell out of me.

No reason to be scared right now. I doubt Clark Judge has any idea who will be starting week 1.

i dont know how this guy would know this, im putting very little stock in his guess.

heck, he doesn't even mention jarvis jenkins in his D line assessment.

he doesn't seem to plugged into the skins to me.

Users who are viewing this thread