What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (2 Viewers)

Obviously the worst WC finish ever for the US who made at least the semi finals in every WC before this.

It feels like the age gap between the Press, Morgan, Rapino era and the younger forwards like Rodman and Smith is too big. Did the women have a lost generation offensively?

Once you get out of the group how you played in the group is 100% irrelevant.

They do seem like they're a midfielder short, but they showed up pretty big today. Nothing to hang their heads, or be criticized, about -- they were by far the better team today. Sometimes this just happens in soccer.

1mm is a hell of a way to go out though. Reminds me of Salah's not-a-goal vs City in 2020(?).

That’ll be my lasting image of Rapinoe, laughing and grinning as she chokes a PK in a loss.

And horribly disappointed by Sophia Smith after all the positive talk I heard about her coming into the WC, talk about overrated. In fact all 4 main ones that played this tournament stunk (Smith, Morgan, Rodman, Williams, I’ll name Morgan again for good measure). At some point someone has to, you know, put the ball in the back of the net.

I didn’t watch much of the group but seems like the US would be preparing to play Spain if they didn’t screw around and not win the group.
Yes, we called this out in the thread multiple times. As a favorite, like the US was coming in, you never want to play another good team this early.

The kind of scary part for me is that I don't think this Swedish team is any better than Japan, England or Spain. In fact they may be the weakest of that group.

Obviously the worst WC finish ever for the US who made at least the semi finals in every WC before this.

It feels like the age gap between the Press, Morgan, Rapino era and the younger forwards like Rodman and Smith is too big. Did the women have a lost generation offensively?
I don’t know why it happened but that seemed like the biggest issue with this team. Morgan and Rapinoe were past their prime and Smith and Rodman weren’t there yet. I think a healthy Lavelle and Mal Swanson would have helped generate more offense but someone still needs to finish.

I am glad the women fought so hard to get paid equally to the men’s team as they played equally well. :mellow:

So who gets to shoot now? The coach?
OMG the goalie!?!?!?!?
Never seen that before. Is that common?

I wanna say I remember Chilavert did back in the day for Paraguay but I may be misremembering.

-QG

So who gets to shoot now? The coach?
OMG the goalie!?!?!?!?
Never seen that before. Is that common?

I wanna say I remember Chilavert did back in the day for Paraguay but I may be misremembering.

-QG
Chilavert not only took his club teams PK's in games (not just in the pk competitions but in the actual game), he also at times took their free kicks.

He scored 17 times on free kicks in his career. Just nuts :)

I feel for the ladies. Glad they came out and finally played a solid game, but have to put it in the net.
Well if they played like this in the group they would have been playing South Africa today instead of #3 in the world. Kind of deserved.

I feel for the ladies. Glad they came out and finally played a solid game, but have to put it in the net.
Well if they played like this in the group they would have been playing South Africa today instead of #3 in the world. Kind of deserved.
I thought they played very well in a lot of the game vs Netherlands.

But if you play well and don't score goals, it doesn't matter. That was this teams problem.

Morgan seems to be catching flack... And I'd agree she looks a shell of herself. But still- the US attacked at its best when it went through her. She was able to get smith and rodman into their most dangerous spots and both underwhelmed for the most part.

Please stop.

Trust your original instinct and just delete this stuff.

Nah. You can white knight it all you want.
I don't know what that means... I just don't want politi-rants gumming up soccer threads
I like that he keeps posting and then deleting, then posting and editing his posts. He clearly knows it does not belong here while we are just trying to talk about the game and the program but can't help himself.

I like that he keeps posting and then deleting, then posting and editing his posts. He clearly knows it does not belong here while we are just trying to talk about the game and the program but can't help himself.

Two other people have said something similar to the issue I'm getting at. I'm trying to raise an issue without cheapness or silliness and trying to find the correct words for thoughts that I have. It's called a message board and allows for tangential thoughts. It belongs right smack here, man. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:

But if you play well and don't score goals, it doesn't matter. That was this teams problem.

Morgan seems to be catching flack... And I'd agree she looks a shell of herself. But still- the US attacked at its best when it went through her. She was able to get smith and rodman into their most dangerous spots and both underwhelmed for the most part.
This game was really a microcosm of the entire group stage.

I posted a couple of days ago a stat that no team in the entire world cup underperformed their xG with real goals more than the US.

The US continually created more chances than their opponents and the defense was really quite good.

In the end, the whole tournament came down to not putting the ball in the net.

Last edited:
Start your own thread, Rock. It's not an "issue" it's your own, valid, socio-political opinion that has nothing to do with soccer or this thread.

This game was really a microcosm of the entire group stage.

I posted a couple of days ago a stat that no team in the entire world cup underperformed their xG with real goals more than the US.

The US continually created more chances than their opponents and the defense was really quite good.

In the end, the whole tournament was not putting the ball in the net.
Yeah.. agree from an eye-test as well as the stats.

And I mentioned prior to this game- if the US scored some of those, there'd be no talk of this team looking disappointing or underwhelming. It's the beauty and frustration of the sport where sometimes the team that plays "better" doesn't win... And certainly can't win if they don't score the goals.

The US men were a step behind that last WCQ- they had so many promising attacks that were undone before they even got the goal scoring opp. This US women's team at least got to the opp part and just lacked ruthless, clinical finishing

One nice thing for the women is that they don't have to wait 4 years like the men to take on the worlds best again. They get another chance in the next Olympics.

This will be a sneaky big Olympics for the overall program as the US has never gone 2 straight tournaments before now with out making at least the finals. But with many other teams getting better and the US clearly in some sort of transition period now with the age gap in the team, it will be interesting to watch how it all evolves.

There is a good chance though that going forward that the US will simply be a top 5 team instead of the clear #1 they have been for most of their existence. That is probably good for the over all health of the women's game IMO.

Last edited:
That’ll be my lasting image of Rapinoe, laughing and grinning as she chokes a PK in a loss.

And horribly disappointed by Sophia Smith after all the positive talk I heard about her coming into the WC, talk about overrated. In fact all 4 main ones that played this tournament stunk (Smith, Morgan, Rodman, Williams, I’ll name Morgan again for good measure). At some point someone has to, you know, put the ball in the back of the net.

If there's one thing I trust Rapinoe for its to take a high pressure penalty (as she did in the 2019 final.) There's really nothing else she brings. Her reaction after missing was bizarre but I guess its impossible for any of us to empathize with a player's feelings in that kind of moment. I was happy for Sam Mewis who was a key player in 2019 but didn't get off the bench this time around until very late this game, and her only touch of the ball this entire world cup was that banger.

I’ve read this 5 times and don’t even know what it means.

That men's and women's soccer could never be equal in any respect if we're being honest.

That the outpouring of emotion over USWNT has something to do with suburban, white female politics rather than pure sport. Its popularity and resonance with white suburbanites was always very socio-political at its core.

That the world reacts totally different to notions of male and female equality across the globe than America and Scandinavia does, but in this case at least gins up and sends second-rate teams with second-rate support and funding to compete with American women

Yet this world is able to draw on soccer tradition and best the Americans occasionally because American suburbia will, in the future, be hard-pressed to compete with the world's pool of underclass athletes (meaning poor and rough and tumble) and the world soccer structures in future soccer endeavors.

That the whole thing is a big balloon that's fated soon to pop.

'Cause if honey I'm the bottom, you're the top!

Users who are viewing this thread