What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Super Bowl LI Thread - Falcons vs Patriots *** (1 Viewer)

Lions fan, but I seem to root for NE, mostly because of Brady and Belichick.

Take the names off the jersey and play in plain jersey's, with no numbers, and who has the "better" team? I would say ATL by a smidge. Tough to account for Belichick and Brady and the winning cullture they bring. I could get ATL + 4.5 because of early big money on NE. Tough to bet against NE, but getting 4.5 is enticing.
Especially considering New England's 4 Super Bowl victories have been by 3, 3, 3 and 4.

He was quoted for a 2nd time now. First time was "pick your poison" and now he's quoted as saying "We're unstopable."

Guaranteed that's been pinned to the board.
You know it.... 

Not that these guys need any motivation to get up for a damn superbowl... but stuff like that will prob get you hit a little harder

Anarchy99 said:
How the thread on Jimmy Garoppolo is almost twice the length of the SB thread two days before the SB boggles the mind. 
It is odd.  But it appears 96% of the site's posters are trapped in that ridiculous, God awful, Trump presidency thread on the other side of the message board.  

Go Falcons!  

It seems people are more concerned with the alternative drama surrounding NFL than the game of football.

This looks to be a good game. I give the edge to Belichick, great football mind. I am rooting for the Falcons to get their first Lombardi. I am hoping for an offensive game filled with long TDs from both sides.

Anarchy99 said:
How the thread on Jimmy Garoppolo is almost twice the length of the SB thread two days before the SB boggles the mind. 
I can't remember seeing so little buzz about the Super Bowl in the week leading up to it.  The Patriots are a team many are simply sick of seeing, and not many outside of Atlanta give two ####s about the Falcons. 

I can't remember seeing so little buzz about the Super Bowl in the week leading up to it.  The Patriots are a team many are simply sick of seeing, and not many outside of Atlanta give two ####s about the Falcons. 
Muh ratings.

On-topic: Entire Patriots team questionable for super bowl 51.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I disagree, i think most of the country wanted Dal/Gb vs NE (or Pitt) and all of those matchups would have been HUUUGE. That doesn't mean I think less people will watch, everyone will still be watching, it just isn't nearly as sexy as NE v Dal or GB would have been and all the hype that would have been associated with it. 

Could still be a very entertaining game ala NE v Car but I think many suspect NE will roll and imho many will be right......

It pains me to say this, it does, but the falcs are in the Super Bowl.

But I want everyone to know, that we, as a nation - no, as a People - will emerge through this - the Patriots will defend the Nation's honor, as they have done through the decades.

Business update: It's been a solid two weeks, and has pushed this SB 'If Win' numbers for either team past the Niners/Ravens, which is the worst over the past 15 years.  

Close to a 50/50 split, but it appears the Falcons upside is higher after a win.

Things not getting enough consideration . . .

ATL will be starting 4 rookies and 3 second year players on defense that have never played against NE. The Pats will look to exploit that. The Falcons have great speed, but NE will scheme to take advantage of that as well (screens, misdirection, fakes, play action, etc.). 

In the Ryan era, ATL is a different team in the dome at home. The Falcons went 51-24 (.680) but only 37-37 (.500) away from home. To the best of my knowledge, the Falcons have not had a neutral site game in the Ryan era. There may be less of an impact in a neutral site game compared to a true road game, but that is something to consider. The Falcons averaged 38 ppg at home vs. 32.5 ppg on the road this season (+5.5 points at home). Over Ryan's career, the Falcons have scored an average of 4 fewer points per game away from home and allowed 3 ppg more defensively away from home (so a net of - 7 ppg). By comparison, the Pats with Brady have gone 118-20 (.855) with Brady at home and 89-43 (.674) away from home (away games and neutral site games).

While it's garnered a lot of discussion and most of us are sick to death of it, I don't think the Deflategate story line is getting ENOUGH consideration. NE has come this far and is one game away from giving a middle finger to Goodell and the rest of the league. While they would never say it, that is a huge motivating factor.

Blending in other material from in the thread (and maybe even some new stuff too).

In the past 5 years, NE has gone 7-0 playing indoors and averaged 33 ppg with a +16 ppg scoring differential. Over his career, Brady-led teams have gone 16-4 playing indoors.

In 8 prior games against teams that scored 500+ points in a season, BB coached teams have held those opponents to an average of 23 ppg (-11 points compared to their season average).

Over Ryan's career, against Top 3 scoring defenses the Falcons have averaged 20 ppg. Brady over his career has averaged 34 ppg against Bottom 5 scoring defenses (and that includes 6 years early in his career where the Pats were not the offense they have been the past 10 years).

The Dolphins faced the Patriots on the heels of a 9-1 stretch where they averaged 27 ppg. Playing at home, they scored 14 against the Pats and lost by 21. The Steelers faced NE on a 9 game winning streak, in which they averaged 26 ppg with a scoring different of nearly +10 ppg. They put up 17 points and lost by 19.

NE (9th) and ATL (10th) ranked about the same in red zone TD efficiency. But NE ranked 7th (50%) and ATL ranked 32nd (72%) in allowing TD's for red zone defense. 

ON TO THE GAME PREDICTION . . .

I have a hard time thinking the Falcons will hold the Patriots to under 30 points (90% confidence in NE scoring 30+ points). I also have a hard time seeing the Falcons getting out of the 20's (85% confidence ATL scores under 30 points).

Barring crazy things like a turnover filled game by NE, I see NE already with a 31-24 lead going on a long 8 minute drive in the fourth quarter to add a FG to make it a 34-24 game. The Falcons get the ball back inside the two minute warning and Ryan throws a pick to seal it for NE.

Things not getting enough consideration . . .

ATL will be starting 4 rookies and 3 second year players on defense that have never played against NE. The Pats will look to exploit that. The Falcons have great speed, but NE will scheme to take advantage of that as well (screens, misdirection, fakes, play action, etc.). 

In the Ryan era, ATL is a different team in the dome at home. The Falcons went 51-24 (.680) but only 37-37 (.500) away from home. To the best of my knowledge, the Falcons have not had a neutral site game in the Ryan era. There may be less of an impact in a neutral site game compared to a true road game, but that is something to consider. The Falcons averaged 38 ppg at home vs. 32.5 ppg on the road this season (+5.5 points at home). Over Ryan's career, the Falcons have scored an average of 4 fewer points per game away from home and allowed 3 ppg more defensively away from home (so a net of - 7 ppg). By comparison, the Pats with Brady have gone 118-20 (.855) with Brady at home and 89-43 (.674) away from home (away games and neutral site games).

While it's garnered a lot of discussion and most of us are sick to death of it, I don't think the Deflategate story line is getting ENOUGH consideration. NE has come this far and is one game away from giving a middle finger to Goodell and the rest of the league. While they would never say it, that is a huge motivating factor.

Blending in other material from in the thread (and maybe even some new stuff too).

In the past 5 years, NE has gone 7-0 playing indoors and averaged 33 ppg with a +16 ppg scoring differential. Over his career, Brady-led teams have gone 16-4 playing indoors.

In 8 prior games against teams that scored 500+ points in a season, BB coached teams have held those opponents to an average of 23 ppg (-11 points compared to their season average).

Over Ryan's career, against Top 3 scoring defenses the Falcons have averaged 20 ppg. Brady over his career has averaged 34 ppg against Bottom 5 scoring defenses (and that includes 6 years early in his career where the Pats were not the offense they have been the past 10 years).

The Dolphins faced the Patriots on the heels of a 9-1 stretch where they averaged 27 ppg. Playing at home, they scored 14 against the Pats and lost by 21. The Steelers faced NE on a 9 game winning streak, in which they averaged 26 ppg with a scoring different of nearly +10 ppg. They put up 17 points and lost by 19.

ON TO THE GAME PREDICTION . . .

I have a hard time thinking the Falcons will hold the Patriots to under 30 points (90% confidence in NE scoring 30+ points). I also have a hard time seeing the Falcons getting out of the 20's (85% confidence ATL scores under 30 points).

Barring crazy things like a turnover filled game by NE, I see NE already with a 31-24 lead going on a long 8 minute drive in the fourth quarter to add a FG to make it a 34-24 game. The Falcons get the ball back inside the two minute warning and Ryan throws a pick to seal it for NE.
I love all of this. 
Still don't really buy the Goodell motivation (It will be there for sure, but I don't factor that into the outcome).  You know what else was great motivation?  Going undefeated. 

Prediction time  - all the talk this week was about the ATL Rb combo being the best in the league.  Turns out it will be the NE 3 headed RB attack that will be the difference makers.  All 3 will get a TD along with Hogan and Edelman as NE wins 38-27.  Brady MVP. 

I love all of this. 
Still don't really buy the Goodell motivation (It will be there for sure, but I don't factor that into the outcome).  You know what else was great motivation?  Going undefeated. 
IMO, going undefeated was an escalating snowball that turned in an avalanche of pressure in 2007. NE would have been better off had they lost earlier on.

The Deflategate story line is more of a rallying call. It doesn't add pressure to the game. On a side note, I have heard several people mention that the Patriots this time around are much more relaxed, that they put together the game plan and are not scampering for last second changes and have not been scrambling to practice things, and in general went through these pass two weeks with an unspoken confidence . . . which from those cover the team that went to the other 6 SBs say is a radical departure. Who what that will translate to on the field.

Another thing that's been different this time around, BB has been very complimentary about his team throughout this season. I don't think he has gotten soft in his old age, so I think he really is happy with how the team has responded and how they've been playing. If BB is happy and satisfied, Pats fans should feel good about NE's chances tomorrow. Of course, the Pats could play terrible, give the ball away 5 times, and loose 45-10 (although I tend to doubt it).

Pats 34

Falcons 30

Atlanta plays from behind all game due to red zone issues. Final score is closer than the game would suggest with a relatively meaningless late TD late in the game.

Who is Deion Jones?
rookie MLB for Atlanta.  8-2 tackles/assists, 2 sacks, 2 turnovers and key drive ending play in the 4th.   I think they will be using him to blitz up the middle to pressure Brady with some cover of RBs out of the backfield.

rookie MLB for Atlanta.  8-2 tackles/assists, 2 sacks, 2 turnovers and key drive ending play in the 4th.   I think they will be using him to blitz up the middle to pressure Brady with some cover of RBs out of the backfield.
If ATL is going to resort to blitzing, they are going to get shredded. He ranked #1 in the league with a 134 passer rating against the blitz. 

Blow out city tomorrow, hopefully the commercials are good. Ryan has a 3 INT game written all over his Opie looking mug.

Pats 38

Falcons 17

MVP Logan Ryan

All I've heard from Atlanta fans the past 2 weeks is how are the Patriots going to stop this historic Falcons offense. If there's any team I trust to do it, it's a Belichick coached team. I think the Patriots have better weapons outside of Julio, and it'll show tonight. Add in the experience factor, the fact that the Falcons have 2 rookies starting in the secondary, the fact that Mack is playing with a fractured fibula (an injury that would keep him out 6-8 weeks if it were the regular season), and that Julio is still banged up (report just came out saying he'll be looking at surgery post-Super Bowl) and I think all of this plays into the Patriots favor. 

Patriots 34

Falcons 17

MVP is Brady

Patriots score first..off an Atlanta turnover in the red zone.

''You find out that life is just a game of inches.
So is football.
Because in either game
life or football
 The margin for error is so small.
I mean
one half step too late or to early
you don't quite make it.
One half second too slow or too fast
and you don't quite catch it.
The inches we need are everywhere around us.
They are in ever break of the game
every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.
Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the ####ing difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.''

Yep, the whole "they want to win the whole thing because of Deflategate" is good media chatter, but it is not a factor at all.  It supposedly was last year, and look how that went. If the Patriots win tonight, it will be because they outplay and outcoach the Falcons, not because one man of 53 wants to make the big, bad commissioner look stupid. 

Mack being that hurt is unfortunate...  that OL played the whole season together and to break up that chemistry in the final game will have an impact.  especially with Branch playing at the level he has for NE.  

Falcons 33

Patriots 32

MVP Matt Ryan

After this game, Matt Ryan will never again come close to this level of relevance as he had this season.

[SIZE=12pt]FUN FACTS: 51 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT PATRIOTS-FALCONS IN SUPER BOWL LI
By Ryan Hannable WEEI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Tom Brady and Bill Belichick could set lots of all-time records on Sunday. (Geoff Burke/USA Today Sports)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]HOUSTON[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] — It’s almost here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sunday’s meeting between the Patriots and Falcons is right around the corner. It figures to be a high scoring game with both offenses being among the best in the league.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]With it being Super Bowl LI, here are 51 things to know about the game.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. The Patriots haven’t scored a single point in the first quarter of any of their Super Bowls under Bill Belichick.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2. Atlanta and New England were the best offenses in the first quarter this season. Going into the game, the Patriots lead the league averaging 8.6 points per game in the opening quarter, while the Falcons are second with 8.3.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3. The Patriots have scored points in 54 of 56 quarters played with Tom Brady this season, including 31 straight. The last time they didn’t score was the first quarter against the Jets on Nov. 27.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4. The Patriots are three-point favorites in the game. The underdog has won the last five Super Bowls outright and the underdogs have covered in 12 out of the last 15 years, according to OddsShark.com. As for the Patriots, they have covered the spread in just two of their six Super Bowls with Belichick and Brady.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5. The over/under for the game is 59 points, the highest in Super Bowl history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6. Atlanta’s defense has forced a turnover in 10 straight games. The Patriots are 92-10 when not turning the ball over since 2001.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]7. Including the playoffs, New England is 178-15 when scoring 23 or more points under Belichick.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]8. The Falcons have allowed over 100 yards rushing in six out of their last seven games. In New England’s last five losses overall, it failed to rush for 100 yards, and overall in 13 of its last 16 losses it failed to rush for 100 yards.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]9. In the postseason, the Patriots are a perfect 9-0 when they have a 100-yard rusher.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]10. Since 2013 including the playoffs, the Patriots are 34-4 when Julian Edelman goes over 70 yards receiving. (He has in 10 straight games.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]11. Edelman and Chris Hogan have combined for 79 percent of Brady’s passing yards this postseason. Brady has thrown for 671 yards over the two games with Edelman and Hogan combining for 530 of them. Furthermore, the quarterback is completing 74 percent of his passes when targeting either player (29-for-39).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]12. With 10 catches, Edelman will pass Reggie Wayne (93) for second-most playoff receptions in NFL history. Jerry Rice is No. 1 with 151.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]13. The Patriots are a perfect 16-0 with Dion Lewis in the lineup since he joined the team last year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]14. With a win, Belichick (five) will pass Chuck Noll for the most wins in Super Bowl history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]15. With a win, Brady (five) will have more Super Bowl wins than any other quarterback in NFL history and tie Charles Haley for the most Super Bowl wins by any player.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]16. The Patriots defense has only allowed three first quarter touchdowns this season and none over its last nine games. The last time it did was Nov. 13 against Seattle.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]17. In the postseason, the Patriots are 23-3 when having a winning or even penalty ratio, but 7-15 when having a losing ratio.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]18. The Falcons had eight games (including the playoffs) where they faced defenses better than 20th in points allowed per game, and in those games the Falcons scored 28.9 points per game. In the 10 games against defenses 20th or worse in the league, the Falcons scored 38.9 points per game.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]19. In six games against top 10 offenses, the Falcons allowed 32.9 points a game, which is compared to 20.8 points a game in 12 games against offenses not in the top 10. (The Patriots had the fourth-best offense this year.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]20. According to Pro Football Focus, Brady’s passer rating when throwing to the right side of the field 10-19 yards down the field was 156.3.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]21. Also per Pro Football Focus, the second-best QB-WR duo in terms of passer rating belonged to Brady and Hogan at 129.9.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]22. The Patriots led the NFL with a net point differential of 191 this year. The Falcons were second with 134.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]23. The Patriots are 7-0 this year when winning the coin toss.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]24. In the Falcons’ six-game win streak they’ve taken a total of one offensive snap in the fourth quarter with the game within one score.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]25. Atlanta lives and dies with Matt Ryan. In its 13 wins, he is completing 73 percent of his passes with 37 touchdowns and three interceptions. In its five losses, he is completing 64 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns and four interceptions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]26. Since 2008, when scoring 22 or more points Ryan is 75-19, but when scoring 21 points or less, Ryan is 13-42.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]27. With Brady as a starter this year, the Patriots have only trailed in 73 of 840 total minutes of game action. New England hasn’t trailed in a game since Week 12.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]28. It isn’t just the first quarter the Patriots have issues with in Super Bowls. Under Belichick, the Patriots have only scored 17 third quarter points in the six games.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]29. The Falcons have scored a touchdown on its opening drive in eight straight games.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]30. Since 2010, including the postseason the Patriots are 57-10 when scoring first.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]31. The Patriots are 21-1 in the postseason when winning the turnover battle, opposed to 5-13 when they don’t.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]32. When leading at halftime in the postseason, the Patriots are 23-4. When they trail, they are 4-12.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]33. When leading after three quarters in the postseason, the Patriots are 23-4. When they trail, they are 4-14.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]34. With a win, Brady will become the second-oldest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning set the record last year when he was six weeks shy of his 40th birthday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]35. The Patriots will be wearing white uniforms, which is a good thing because 11 of the last 12 Super Bowl winners have worn white.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]36. In four starts against Atlanta, Brady is 88-of-131 (67.2 percent) passing for 1,193 yards with nine touchdowns, one interception and a 115.7 passer rating. The Patriots are a perfect 4-0 in those games.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]37. Tom Brady has appeared in six Super Bowls. The entire Falcons roster has appeared in five.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]38. This is Dan Quinn’s first game against Belichick. According to the NFL Network, coaches in their first game against Belichick are 3-22 since 2010.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]39. Atlanta’s defense has improved. Since Week 11, the Falcons have allowed 20.5 points per game. Before the Week 11 bye, they allowed 28.3 points.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]40. If the Patriots lose, they will tie the Broncos for most losses in Super Bowl history (five).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]41. Atlanta finished 27th in defensive scoring this season, allowing 25.4 points per game, which is the second-most ever by a team to reach the Super Bowl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]42. Ryan has thrown at least three passing touchdowns in four consecutive playoff games, longest streak in NFL history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]43. This is the sixth Super Bowl where the top scoring offense has faced the top scoring defense and the defense has won four out of the last five games.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]44. The Falcons averaged 36.69 yards per play in the regular season, which is fourth-most in NFL history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]45. If Brady throws three or more touchdowns, he will pass Joe Montana (nine) for the most playoff games with at least three touchdown passes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]46. If Brady wins MVP, he will pass Montana (three) for the most in NFL history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]47. Just by playing, Brady will have played in the most Super Bowls of any player ever (seven). He will pass DL Mike Lodish, who played in six.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]48. Belichick will also set the record for most Super Bowls (seven) coached in NFL history, passing Don Shula.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]49. With a sack, Rob Ninkovich can tie Mike Vrabel (seven) for second-most in Patriots team playoff history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]50. LeGarrette Blounts needs 70 yards rushing to pass Corey Dillon (508) for most playoff rushing yards in Patriots team history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]51. With three punts, Ryan Allen will have the second-most punts in Patriots playoff history. He currently has 33. Tom Tupa has the record of 43.[/SIZE]

NE over ATL 34-17. 

MVP -  Blount all day - 2 TDs over Atlanta's finesse/smallish defense. On defense- Alan Branch is going to own the middle.

I think Atlanta is going to have problems running the ball  even without the Mack injury. I expect a close half and then NE's physical style should wear them out in the 2nd half. 

Falcons 42-35

MVP: Julio Jones

This game reminds me of the NE/STL super bowl.
OK . . . I guess. The NE/STL SB saw the better defense and lower scoring team win and the high octane offensive juggernaut only score 17. Yet you picked the high scoring team to score 42 points and the stronger defense to implode. Please explain how your prediction bears any semblance to the STL/NE game.

Users who are viewing this thread