What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (2 Viewers)

Mastery.

There is nothing more foolish and magnificent than a person who thinks life can be mastered because, even if you win, you are without peer and, therefore, alone when you do. Defeat will always be waiting for those who would master. Tolan & Gilligan were framing this with the immense number of Latinate words in the curriculum vitae within Chuck's obituary. Shanty Irish becomes Lace Curtain Irish becomes Master of the Universe becomes obsessive compulsive and finally confabulates a force of nature to dominate him because his triumphs always leave him empty & alone but he can't stop the fight without spitting on all he's done. This type always either declares victory and cops out at some point or eventually explodes because the only real mastery is humility. No one to blame and everyone to blame so why blame? nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Jimmy is more concerned about what Kim thinks. He's never really had any moral compass, and it was only people like Chuck and Kim in his life that motivated him to do the right things. 

Until Howard shared what he did, in Kim's eyes it was what they did to Chuck in court that led to the result, and that was weighing on Jimmy. But ss soon Howard said what he said, Kim would see what Howard did was what did it, and Jimmy doubled down on that by responding to Howard, that it's his cross to bear now. 

With Chuck gone, and once Kim is out of his life, all reason to feel guilty about anything he does will be removed from his life.
That works better for me. 

Jimmy was suffering from guilt... until he learned Howard was the one that pushed him to suicide. Guilt gone. 
Jimmy wasn't suffering guilt about the insurance causing his death because he literally just learned it in that conversation with Howard. It was more like a defense mechanism. Like he felt like a POS so now hes gonna make Howard feel like a POS too.

Jimmy wasn't suffering guilt about the insurance causing his death
I didn't say he was.

As i clarified in my following post he was suffering from guilt of involving Kim in what looked to be the reason Chuck killed himself.

As soon as he realized Kim had nothing to do with Chuck's death, he was fine. 

So that bear cross weighed so heavy on Howard that he gave up practicing law, became destitute, and finally wound up struggling to make ends meet as a cab driver in Omaha, huh? One can only imagine the thoughts going through his head when the ghost of the man who robbed him of everything randomly asked him for a ride to the mall.
Well done.  

So what happens with Chuck's buyout money?  Is HHM still on the hook for that?  I cant imagine Chuck had time to cash that $3M check, plus there were to be two other payments. 

I would wager Chuck would have Skinny Pete or Ernesto in his will before Jimmy.  Is Rebecca a rich woman now? Electromagnetic Sensitivity Disorder Association of America (EMSDAA) soon to be flush with cash? University of Pennsylvania soon to have a new dining hall named after Chuck? 

I hate cliffhangers. 

Jimmy was suffering from guilt... until he learned Howard was the one that pushed him to suicide. Guilt gone. 
Definitely suffered from guilt initially but I think this is the turn in his character where we see Jimmy fully morph into Saul Goodman.  No F's given.  Kim will soon be leaving him. This has nothing to do with Howard.  

As much as I love the show, seeing Jimmy's character 'develop' is really depressing.  

Definitely suffered from guilt initially but I think this is the turn in his character where we see Jimmy fully morph into Saul Goodman.  No F's given.  Kim will soon be leaving him. This has nothing to do with Howard.  

As much as I love the show, seeing Jimmy's character 'develop' is really depressing.  
Lol for 3 (or is it 4 now?) seasons there have been hundred times where we've said "this is what turns Jimmy into Saul"

I loved Jimmy's taunting of Howard but Chuck's suicide still falls on him and he has to know that. Jimmy railroaded Chuck which led to the Bar hearing and that's how the Liability Insurance Company found out about Chuck's condition, which ultimately led to his suicide.
This is the actual moment Jimmy goes to the dark side.  He knows it’s his fault and is like “#### it”.  

I think Jimmy is more concerned about what Kim thinks. He's never really had any moral compass, and it was only people like Chuck and Kim in his life that motivated him to do the right things. 

Until Howard shared what he did, in Kim's eyes it was what they did to Chuck in court that led to the result, and that was weighing on Jimmy. But ss soon Howard said what he said, Kim would see what Howard did was what did it, and Jimmy doubled down on that by responding to Howard, that it's his cross to bear now. 

With Chuck gone, and once Kim is out of his life, all reason to feel guilty about anything he does will be removed from his life.
good, really good summary.

Mastery.

There is nothing more foolish and magnificent than a person who thinks life can be mastered because, even if you win, you are without peer and, therefore, alone when you do. Defeat will always be waiting for those who would master. Tolan & Gilligan were framing this with the immense number of Latinate words in the curriculum vitae within Chuck's obituary. Shanty Irish becomes Lace Curtain Irish becomes Master of the Universe becomes obsessive compulsive and finally confabulates a force of nature to dominate him because his triumphs always leave him empty & alone but he can't stop the fight without spitting on all he's done. This type always either declares victory and cops out at some point or eventually explodes because the only real mastery is humility. No one to blame and everyone to blame so why blame? nufced
I like your take on things because they are out there,  but just close enough to grasp with some time.

keep it up.

as for your last sentence I would replace your last word to uplifting, but I get your feel as he is a decent guy right now.

different strokes & all.

What timeline does the shift from Saul to Cinnebon Gene look like? 
By Gene's hairline and pride of routine, i'd say he's had his new identity at least 3 yrs. What flummoxes me about timeline is that if Gus has bought the laundry, as they were hinting at the end of last season, we're right up on the time that Walt & Jesse started cooking together. That would mean that Slippin Jimmy would only have been Better Call Saul for about a year and a half. Dont seem right.

Lol for 3 (or is it 4 now?) seasons there have been hundred times where we've said "this is what turns Jimmy into Saul"
There isn't a single missing link for evolution man, it's a slow grind.  But if I were to pick one point in time it was when, "s'all good man."

Last edited by a moderator:

(Finally watched this episode)  I can't rationalize it being solely what Kim thinks.  Kim was obviously fine with thinking it was the trial because she was consoling Jimmy, not the other way around.  Hell, she's probably glad Jimmy doesn't have to deal with his messed up brother anymore.  

Reading comments that Odenkirk made on the episode it was supposed to be Jimmy in denial, suppressing any emotions, and then compartmentalizing his relationship with his brother.  The compartmentalizing ignited with Chuck telling Jimmy that he never mattered, then wondering if Chuck really killed himself, realizing he was he to blame for tipping off the insurance company, to did he really kill himself so that would be the last thing he ever said to him.  As soon as Howard took the blame Jimmy wrapped that compartmentalization up with a bow and said to himself, that's good enough for Saul.

The taxi driver was played by Don Harvey.  I read that he is a busy actor and speculation is that they wouldn't just fly him in just for a nothing part.

Also show is already renewed for a 5th season.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Damn, "Mr. Show" ended 20 years ago.
I really need to revisit this show.  I never gave it a chance when I was younger but the clips I've seen have been hilarious.  Cant really lose with Cross and Odenkirk.  

Loved the Mike scene at Madrigal, especially how they revealed that he stole that other guys ID. I was wondering if I was supposed to know who that guy was.

And even the scenes with Nacho. So much told with few words.

Great start!

The look on Kim's face at Jimmy's attitude change after the "your cross to bear" line is very telling.  It is like she is seeing him for the first time.
Agreed.  I won't be surprised if their relationship hasn't completely fallen apart by the end of this season. 

Also, remember the line in Season 3, Ep 4 of Breaking Bad where Saul tells Walt that his 2nd wife cheated on him with his step-father?  Makes me wonder if we will see either of these wives, although that line could be construed as Saul making something up to talk Walt off the ledge (it was right after Mike got Walt away from trying to confront Ted). 

I have no doubt WW will make some type of appearance on this show. At first it would've been too gimmicky but the show is so good on its own now they can do it without feeling gimmicky. 

shadyridr said:
I have no doubt WW will make some type of appearance on this show. At first it would've been too gimmicky but the show is so good on its own now they can do it without feeling gimmicky. 
Saul vs. Walter in New Hampshire laser tag ... but they don't recognize each other.

That was a great episode. 

That last scene was brutal. Awful way to die. 

And clearly the cousins are capable of nothing more than just standing there looking mean and intense. :lol:  

God, i don't know how these guys do it. 

I can watch each scene and it leaves me feeling like im watching the clip they show at the oacars before announcing each movie for best picture.

Every scene is just good or great....and most have hardly any action or gotcha moments. Most shows can go the whole seasons where you get a few of thise scenes. This show and BB just brings it ....every.... single....time. 

Kim's scene was powerful.  She nailed it

Best tv on the air at this time...bar none

Its the type of show that you hate seeing the hour end...i love how they tease us with little bits of Mike  then Gus ....then Jimmy...they dont linger too long on any one character ...leaves you wanting more ...perfection

Users who are viewing this thread