What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Space Heaters (1 Viewer)

OrganizedChaos

Footballguy
My in-laws have lived with us for the last year and when it gets cold their part of the house tends to get colder than the rest. I have been hesitant to allow space heaters fearing a fire since they are so immobile if it tipped over or a fire started they not be as well equipped to deal with it but some recent cold weather has made me rethink it (something has to be done). Now the room that needs it is carpeted and about 250 sq. feet. They did use a space heater (in a carpeted area) when visiting my wife's sister and that was okay but I am still wary. I definitely want something UL or ETL certified. I looked at wall mounted systems but those seem to only generate heat near the unit vs. the rest of the room since no fan to blow it around the room. I started to key on Lasko until I saw someone's comments that theirs melted the plastic and started to burn.

This Dreo tower seems like a good unit.

Dreo Tower at Amazon

This one has a lot of good ratings. I like its ETL listed, oscillation, and remote for ease of use.

Even if I get one I still feel like I should get something to sit on the carpet vs. letting it stand on the carpet itself.

Anyone have input on safe space heaters they would recommend (or avoid) or things I should consider?

Vornado - used these for years

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at those as well. Do you use them on a carpeted or hard surface? The area where its most likely going to be located is a bit congested around it (at least a few feet away). One reason I was looking for a tower (or mini tower) to possibly disperse the heated air a little better (true tower - not the model I posted would be best) also gets the heat source further away from the carpet.

Both.....used one in my daughter's bedroom when she was young. They stay cool to the touch. And I use one in the basement still.

I don't need it in the bedroom anymore after we reinsulated the garage fwiw

Vornado are designed to flow around the room, they also have shut off and temperature control

Both.....used one in my daughter's bedroom when she was young. They stay cool to the touch. And I use one in the basement still.

I don't need it in the bedroom anymore after we reinsulated the garage fwiw

Vornado are designed to flow around the room, they also have shut off and temperature control
Sounds good. Thank you.

If safety is a major concern, maybe look into oil filled space heaters. They’re probably the safest type of space heater overall.

Really efficient too. Not supposed to do this but when I was a kid we used them to heat up our clothes and gloves and things before school.

Anyone have input on safe space heaters they would recommend (or avoid) or things I should consider?

My in-laws have lived with us for the last year and when it gets cold their part of the house tends to get colder than the rest. I have been hesitant to allow space heaters fearing a fire since they are so immobile if it tipped over or a fire started they not be as well equipped to deal with it but some recent cold weather has made me rethink it (something has to be done). Now the room that needs it is carpeted and about 250 sq. feet. They did use a space heater (in a carpeted area) when visiting my wife's sister and that was okay but I am still wary. I definitely want something UL or ETL certified. I looked at wall mounted systems but those seem to only generate heat near the unit vs. the rest of the room since no fan to blow it around the room. I started to key on Lasko until I saw someone's comments that theirs melted the plastic and started to burn.

This Dreo tower seems like a good unit.

Dreo Tower at Amazon

This one has a lot of good ratings. I like its ETL listed, oscillation, and remote for ease of use.

Even if I get one I still feel like I should get something to sit on the carpet vs. letting it stand on the carpet itself.

I just checked the one we use.
It is a PELONIS tower-type of space heater.
I did a search of the Pelonis site and this one 'looks' like the one we have.
30 in. 1500-Watt Digital Tower Ceramic Heater

I'm in a 'similar' situation. I moved back home to take care of an eldery parent and needed a space heater to 'warm-up' the bathroom in cold weather to make it comfortable. I use it multiple times a day and can vouch for 'just about any one you purchase since we've gone through two and each one has been great.

Has multiple speed and temperature settings along with a timer and sensor if it tips over or gets too hot along with an oscillator that I don't use but it's another feature.

I understand concerns, however I think the safety aspects of space heaters have vastly improved over time. I would not put it near anything 'sensitive' to heat but it should do fine if you use common sense.

I started using these the past couple months. They work, but after two months of looking at my bills, I'm about ready to throw them out. Specifically, I used to keep the house around 65 degrees in winter. The past two months, I've kept it closer to 60 and just used the space heater in my office where I spend most of my time. My natural gas usage has barely dropped at all and my electric usage has doubled since last year.

I started using these the past couple months. They work, but after two months of looking at my bills, I'm about ready to throw them out. Specifically, I used to keep the house around 65 degrees in winter. The past two months, I've kept it closer to 60 and just used the space heater in my office where I spend most of my time. My natural gas usage has barely dropped at all and my electric usage has doubled since last year.
60 degrees!?

I know that you originally asked about space heaters. But have you considered a ductless mini split system? It could provide heat and a/c. While eliminating the concern of fire hazard. They are more expensive and you might need to hire a pro to install. But then you have a permanent heating and cooling solution for that space.

Using a space heater isn't going to do much if the entire situation isn't optimized to keep everyone inside warm.

The absolute No#1 thing anyone can do to get warm in a very cold environment is to pitch a tent inside the warmest room in the entire house ( usually facing south) Layer the tent with blankets over the top, then fill the inside with more blankets/towels/clothes to form a kind of nest. Then sleep in a sleeping bag inside, while wearing a beanie, mittens and socks and layered clothing. Use a hot water bottle. Also while drinking hot liquids and "grazing" on something like celery.

The act of constantly eating something small and light will help keep you warm. But the bigger issue is to trap air.

This is where plastic sheeting rolls, big ones, and duct tape are useful. In a two story situation, move everyone into the lower floors, and use plastic sheeting to seal off other areas to the house, particularly higher ceiling points.

A lot of people want to be warm but don't like "inconvenience"

I've been homeless before. You catch a very bad case of the flu and you have to live outside full time, you can die out there. If the weather gets very cold, you can die out there. If you cannot regulate your core temperature for long enough, you won't make it.

I don't see a problem with a space heater, but it should be IMHO lower on the list of ways to optimize keeping a place warm.

I have a ten year rule for a fall back plan. Lots of people believe they are "in a good place financially" OK, if you cut off all your income streams, how long could you last? 3 months? 6 months? A year? If you can make it ten years straight, with nothing coming in, and meet your basic needs, then I'd say you are in a good place financially for the short term. For people who are not, squeeze every penny you can. If I had a choice between turning on the heat or just putting on a beanie and a sweatshirt, when I was middle aged, I'd put on the extra clothing. Cut the cable, cut your gym memberships, cut your Netflix, cut your weekly food box delivery subscriptions, cut your Amazon Prime, cut all that out. If you don't have a ten year reserve for bare basic necessities, I'd even cut out eating out.

I'm not here picking on the OP, but in general, most people have to look at doing way more with way less.

I am not cheap with other people. Many times and in many ways, I understand the importance to sometimes be generous, thoughtful, kind and measured with others. But I am mostly frugal with myself in many areas. I see prosperous times as an opportunity to prepare for the hard times to come. I did not know the pandemic was coming, but I was not spread out too thin, and I had a warchest in place, so I could weather that storm with my businesses.

Another reason to live lean is it keeps you hungry. It reminds you everything is a fight, everything is a competition and if you fail , you starve and you die.

Those were my options. Figure it out and find a way to make it happen. Or end up back on the street and die.

Do not think like a poor person. But do not think like a rich person. Think like an adaptive person.

I'm not judging the OP and I don't know the specifics of the situation,but look at the inlaws. They are beholden to someone else's household and it's very likely they don't have control over their own destiny. In so much as that's possible. Hence they have to suffer through the cold.

There's a lesson here - Put your destiny in your own two hands. If you have to bleed for that, so be it. Better to bleed yourself than to be bled by others. Because I assure you, the blood is going to get taken one way or another. This is the nature of life. This is the nature of how this game is played.

Thanks for all of the great replies. In a normal bedroom with typical spacing I think the Vornado might work well but this one is so congested not sure (especially where i want to plug it in) that it will be as good but will keep looking at them. This bedroom besides serving as a bedroom doubles duty as office with a desk and an eating area with a refrigerator, small island table (on wheels) for eating and holding dishes and has a dinette area with microwave, coffee pot, more storage for supplies, etc. Oil filled as mentioned above definitely looks to be safer. Of course they take up more floor space so its always a trade off. However, based on safety I still want to look at those some more. I looked at the Pelonis mentioned. Went to Amazon to get more reviews. Did not see the exact same model there but another towel model. At first glance it looks outstanding (everything I wanted) but then when you see some of the critical reviews about a plug being fried or plastic melting on the tower that is what concerns me. I do like the idea of extra smoke detectors and definitely want to get a heater that has a remote. Regarding the ductless mini split system this bedroom has normal heat/AC ducts. I may get my A/C company back out to look to see if there is any issue with the ductwork heading to this room. Regarding overall safety I realize we could probably get a number of heaters and there may be no issue. However, my FIL is 88 years old and trying to deal with any quick problem is where I am concerned. We do have a fire extinguisher up there but that is no guarantee he could deal with anything that popped up. So I will keep looking at ideas presented here as well as researching more on the web. Will reply back once I figure out what the heck I am doing.

I may get my A/C company back out to look to see if there is any issue with the ductwork heading to this room
In my house a couple bedrooms weren't cooling well compared to the rest of the house. I closed or partially closed some of the vents closer to the AC unit to increase the airflow to the back of the house.

Using a space heater isn't going to do much if the entire situation isn't optimized to keep everyone inside warm.

The absolute No#1 thing anyone can do to get warm in a very cold environment is to pitch a tent inside the warmest room in the entire house ( usually facing south) Layer the tent with blankets over the top, then fill the inside with more blankets/towels/clothes to form a kind of nest. Then sleep in a sleeping bag inside, while wearing a beanie, mittens and socks and layered clothing. Use a hot water bottle. Also while drinking hot liquids and "grazing" on something like celery.

The act of constantly eating something small and light will help keep you warm. But the bigger issue is to trap air.

This is where plastic sheeting rolls, big ones, and duct tape are useful. In a two story situation, move everyone into the lower floors, and use plastic sheeting to seal off other areas to the house, particularly higher ceiling points.

A lot of people want to be warm but don't like "inconvenience"

I've been homeless before. You catch a very bad case of the flu and you have to live outside full time, you can die out there. If the weather gets very cold, you can die out there. If you cannot regulate your core temperature for long enough, you won't make it.

I don't see a problem with a space heater, but it should be IMHO lower on the list of ways to optimize keeping a place warm.

I have a ten year rule for a fall back plan. Lots of people believe they are "in a good place financially" OK, if you cut off all your income streams, how long could you last? 3 months? 6 months? A year? If you can make it ten years straight, with nothing coming in, and meet your basic needs, then I'd say you are in a good place financially for the short term. For people who are not, squeeze every penny you can. If I had a choice between turning on the heat or just putting on a beanie and a sweatshirt, when I was middle aged, I'd put on the extra clothing. Cut the cable, cut your gym memberships, cut your Netflix, cut your weekly food box delivery subscriptions, cut your Amazon Prime, cut all that out. If you don't have a ten year reserve for bare basic necessities, I'd even cut out eating out.

I'm not here picking on the OP, but in general, most people have to look at doing way more with way less.

I am not cheap with other people. Many times and in many ways, I understand the importance to sometimes be generous, thoughtful, kind and measured with others. But I am mostly frugal with myself in many areas. I see prosperous times as an opportunity to prepare for the hard times to come. I did not know the pandemic was coming, but I was not spread out too thin, and I had a warchest in place, so I could weather that storm with my businesses.

Another reason to live lean is it keeps you hungry. It reminds you everything is a fight, everything is a competition and if you fail , you starve and you die.

Those were my options. Figure it out and find a way to make it happen. Or end up back on the street and die.

Do not think like a poor person. But do not think like a rich person. Think like an adaptive person.

I'm not judging the OP and I don't know the specifics of the situation,but look at the inlaws. They are beholden to someone else's household and it's very likely they don't have control over their own destiny. In so much as that's possible. Hence they have to suffer through the cold.

There's a lesson here - Put your destiny in your own two hands. If you have to bleed for that, so be it. Better to bleed yourself than to be bled by others. Because I assure you, the blood is going to get taken one way or another. This is the nature of life. This is the nature of how this game is played.
Okay I appreciate the time you have taken to reply in the thread but I really don't know where you are going with all of this. My in laws moved in with us because at their age they really should not be on their own. We converted 3 of our 5 bedrooms and gave them one of our bathrooms (which we also converted to walk in shower) so it could be as comfortable for them as possible (all of this is upstairs). We are in the process now of putting in a motorized stairlift so when the day comes they can't use the stairs we still have a workable option. It is not like they are freezing all the time (sorry if it came off that way). One of the rooms they use does not seem to have as good a heat as the others. We recently had a very bad cold freeze that made it worse than normal and not something I want them to deal with. Could be the window letting in more cold air, the ductwork to it not quite as good as rest of the house, or the general air flow. I did just check the window and duct and it seems fine but I need to check the window next time the temperature drops that low again. We have a downstairs and upstairs unit for A/C and furnace. We can't let them change the thermostat willy nilly or it would cause the master bedroom to become a furnace. I think part of the issue was how the upstairs and downstairs units were set and last night I changed the downstairs unit temperature to make sure the heated air from it was not preventing the upstairs unit from coming on when needed. It definitely is better up there this morning. I still think I would like a space heater he can run some in the morning when its colder to help some. That is really the only time he needs more heat. It is not something that would be run all day so I may be going overkill on the safety route but realizing if a fire started in one of the very rare instances he could not deal with it as quickly/efficiently as we could and it might get out of control. When I look at reviews on space heaters I can find some that have mostly fantastic reviews but then have a few comments where the plug has burn marks, plastic starts melting, smell things burning, etc. Could be in those cases they aren't using them properly (no way to know). So now I am monitoring their situation daily while I continue looking for a space heater that I feel comfortable with them using that fits into the space available.

If safety is a major concern, maybe look into oil filled space heaters. They’re probably the safest type of space heater overall.
Another vote for this option. We've used them for years in our drafty 100+ year old house. They work well and much safer than any of the other space heater options we ever looked at. Had them in kids rooms for years and never had any issues.

Vornado - used these for years

Recommend highly. Had one for over 10 years, when it wouldn't heat properly they replaced with newer model for free. Another 10+ years of hassle free safe heat

I just recently bought 2 of these and put them in my garage.
Space Heater
My garage is not heated but is well insulated so I am just trying to take the chill out.

You can wall mount them or they have stands. You can have them set on a timer or thermostat. Haven't had them long enough to give a review, but the short time I have had them they seem to work well.

I just recently bought 2 of these and put them in my garage.
Space Heater
My garage is not heated but is well insulated so I am just trying to take the chill out.

You can wall mount them or they have stands. You can have them set on a timer or thermostat. Haven't had them long enough to give a review, but the short time I have had them they seem to work well.
I've had 1 of these, same brand not the same model, in one of my bathrooms for just over a year now. Haven't had any problems.

We use Lasko bladeless with remote, a couple of the Amish infrared ones and an electric fireplace.
I have oil filled ones in the kids rooms. They are the safest and weakest. They're probably the best to accidentally leave on.
The Lasko is my favorite by far. It's fast, relatively quiet, and works fine on low most days.
The electric fireplace is possibly the safest since it's mounted to the wall, a few feet from the ground n all.
The infrared ones heat great but use the most electricity and it's more than advertised.
We did love Amaze heaters but they only lasted one season. My friends had the same problem and they won't warranty after a year and....some day those will be the best but it's not now.

I hate the tiny hint of burning smell that some give off. It's minimal to everyone else but to me it festers and I worry of fire and such by the end of winter. I don't like vornado for this reason.

Fwiw....

Users who are viewing this thread