What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (3 Viewers)

Okay, I'll be the wet blanket. :oldunsure:

I love Saul as much as the rest of you, but he's highly effective in the relatively small doses we get of him. Might his shtick get a little (a lot?) annoying having to carry his own show?
I think these are legitimate concerns. I think it will be much harder to write great dialogue for Saul as the main character of a show than it was to write a handful of witty quips for Saul as a supporting character in Breaking Bad.

it does feel like it could be a better show on a channel like HBO or Showtime along the lines of Weeds. Comedy/drama mixed together and most likely in a half-hour format.

Still, I have a feeling they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think it had a lot of potential.

it does feel like it could be a better show on a channel like HBO or Showtime along the lines of Weeds. Comedy/drama mixed together and most likely in a half-hour format.

Still, I have a feeling they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think it had a lot of potential.
The potential they see are a cult following for one of the most popular characters in a hit series. Isn't that the typical "potential" that's seen with spin-offs?

Just out of curiosity, why do you think HBO would be better than AMC?

I don't think it has to be super funny. I think BB and Dexter have humor in them, but are not comedies. I would like to see maybe a little more comedy than those, but still a drama. And I don't think they need VG to make it work. Bob Odenkirk is a genius when it comes to humor. And with the right writers I think this has awesome potential.

I love Saul as much as the rest of you, but he's highly effective in the relatively small doses we get of him. Might his shtick get a little (a lot?) annoying having to carry his own show?
Take your negativity to Belize.

I don't think it has to be super funny. I think BB and Dexter have humor in them, but are not comedies. I would like to see maybe a little more comedy than those, but still a drama. And I don't think they need VG to make it work. Bob Odenkirk is a genius when it comes to humor. And with the right writers I think this has awesome potential.
Mr. Show was some of the funniest t.v. I've ever seen. I wonder if they'll bring Cross into this. Have to believe he'll at least get a cameo or two.

AMC does hour-long dramas very well but hasn't done any half hour comedic dramas yet.

Mr. Show was some of the funniest t.v. I've ever seen. I wonder if they'll bring Cross into this. Have to believe he'll at least get a cameo or two.
:goodposting:

I think if Cross is involved this show has way more than potential.

AMC does hour-long dramas very well but hasn't done any half hour comedic dramas yet.
Fair enough.

I think the show has great potential. In his first few appearances on the show, Saul was a really funny character. He still is, but right now he's in the middle of a huge mess, the drama is at it's peak, and aside from an occasional quip, there just isn't room for a whole lot of "funny" on Breaking Bad.

But the character, Saul, and the actor, Odenkirk are great and certainly could carry a show, provided that the writing and supporting cast are funny as well.

Good Posting Judge said:

Who can say, really? It might be terrible, but I think it's worth a shot for any BB fan.
I agree with both of this things.

Probably best to focus on a different client each week with a variety of guest stars for Odenkirk to play off of. that would be right in his wheelhouse.

Would be nice to have a few episodes after and he gets word that Walt perished, perhaps a little Jessie reunion.

Prequel though would be insane with all the cases and idiots he encounters before he meets the great Walter White.

A hybrid could work. An ongoing thread/story in present day with long flashback episodes relating to what's going on now with him thinking back etc.

That could include flashbacks to the breaking bad storyline of scenes we didn't see play out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am I the only one who thinks this will probably be terrible.
Probably won't be the only one who will be wrong, no.It's gonna be fantastic.
Odds far more like that it will be terrible. Spinoffs usually are.

And the Saul character was terribly written on BBad. Just a walking cliche, over and over and over and over again.
You go to hell. You go to hell and you die!
Now you've done it.

And the Saul character was terribly written on BBad. Just a walking cliche, over and over and over and over again.
Now you've done it.
:mr garrison:

It's only gunz.

Now you've done it.
:mr garrison:

It's only gunz.
It would have been better if you'd told him to go to Belize.

Now you've done it.
Now he's done it appropriately.

It's nothing personal it's just that your approach sucked. They can't all be winners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now you've done it.

It's nothing personal it's just that your approach sucked. They can't all be winners.
My original request still stands.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Chaka said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
tommyGunZ said:

Now you've done it.

My original request still stands.
My Link

Homer J Simpson said:
tommyGunZ said:

You shut your whore mouth.
Well he just guaranteed a smash hit with his comments.

I admit I'm pretty pessimistic about this show (I'd love to be proven wrong). But I didn't know it was even possible for a person to dislike the Saul character in BB. That's one of the best supporting characters ever IMO. Saul provided exactly the right amount of comic relief while still being a real character and moving the story along in places.

Users who are viewing this thread