What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (2 Viewers)

Heh, heh, gotta love Gruden sticking it to windbag Stephen A Smith in presser before flight to Cincy. Did a great job keeping pretty much a straight face. 😶 Only thing that woulda made that better is if he called all the other coaches in the league and had them do the same thing. Boobie Clark and Isaac Curtis? Right in my wheelhouse.

For those who haven't seen, comes up at about 2:00 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZg2twy4e4

Baltimore Ravens

On July 1, 2016, XXXXXX XXXXXX was suspended for the first four games of the 2016 NFL season for violating the substance-abuse policy.

On June 30, 2017, XXXXXX XXXXXX was suspended for one year without pay for again violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

On August 7, 2018, XXXXXX XXXXXX was reinstated by the league after the year-long suspension.[7] He was waived on September 1, 2018 and was signed to the practice squad the next day.

Oakland Raiders

On November 26, 2018, XXXXXX XXXXXX was signed by the Oakland Raiders off the Ravens practice squad.

Welcome to the team, Darren Waller. 😀 Seems like he's learned some life lessons.

https://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/TE-Darren-Waller-impresses-in-Raiders-loss-13470659.php

He's pumped and playing with a chip on his shoulder.   Give him time to get settled and sign his brand new, expensive contract.  Four or five games don't make a hall of famer.  Give him time time to get settled.
That is as good of an explanation as I can think of. 

You can't blame a particular coach or system because drops have been a consistent issue for him from day 1 with the Raiders. I think he got jolted into getting his head into the game with the trade. His remarks have shown that it was somewhat traumatic for him but resulting in a good wake up for him. 

I've been a Gruden defender all along, but signing Peterman is just embarrassing.  As Raider fans we take enough crap already, we don't need things like this making it easier to pile on.

I've been a Gruden defender all along, but signing Peterman is just embarrassing.  As Raider fans we take enough crap already, we don't need things like this making it easier to pile on.
I enjoyed the angle that Peterman was going to be the scout QB and Gruden's angle is that the interceptions in practice will be a nice confidence boost for the secondary! 

I enjoyed the angle that Peterman was going to be the scout QB and Gruden's angle is that the interceptions in practice will be a nice confidence boost for the secondary! 
he didn't really say that thing about the interceptions, did he?!

What a bunch of fools over in Buffalo letting an asset like Peterman go. Do they even Gruden QB camp?

It's almost not fair if teams are just going to fill our roster like this. Kind of sucks though as we're going to have one hell of a QB controversy between Mccarron and Peterman. But I guess these are good problems to have and common when you have a roster that oozes talent like ours

No.  It wasn't an angle that Gruden shared for a reasoning of signing him. 
phew. this season has been crazy enough, and Gruden has been disappointing enough, that I thought it might actually be true.

ok. back to trying to ignore the Raiders since they bring me nothing but sadness (but, yes, the TiVo is still set to record the Monday night game. I just can't quit you....)

The Raiders are reportedly in talks with the Giants about using AT&T park next season. Good to hear I was afraid we wouldn't have a dirt infield to play on next season crisis averted. 

My season comes down to what the Raiders do tonight.  That was a fun statement to type out.  Really hoping to see the young guys get some run tonight. 

I have Denver D going against the Raiders tonight and I’m down by 7.5. 

Even better, my opponent is a big Broncos fan. So I can win my league and beat a Broncos fan by his beloved Broncos defense doing well against the hated Raiders. Looking for any silver lining I can this year :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the Raiders last game in Oak... I’m sad. And I hope they win it. So much of the NFL is about tradition and the home bases, Oakland has been among the best all time.

I like the fight of the Raiders over the past month. I can almost convince myself to be a little optimistic about next year. Someone straightening me out, please. 

I like the fight of the Raiders over the past month. I can almost convince myself to be a little optimistic about next year. Someone straightening me out, please. 
Their last three games were against teams who will (or should be) looking for new Head Coaches next season.  All 4 of their wins have come against lame duck HCs. 

DocHolliday said:
Raiders better not do anything stupid and find a way to win.  
Screw this kind of thinking.  Perhaps the last game in Oakland, against the Broncos, and you can stomach losing that game?  GTFO with that mess.  I don't give one flying #### about draft position, there's no way I want to remember the donkeys getting the last win in the stadium we have called home, especially against a bad team with a horrible coach and below average QB.  Win the game and deal with draft position later.

That was a proper send-off.
There is a good chance that they play another year in Oakland. The Raiders only withdrew their lease offer because they are trying to pressure the city of Oakland to drop its lawsuit (which is seeking to stop the move to Las Vegas). This is all just a negotiating tactic -- and a bad one that that.

They can't go to Vegas yet. They're not going to play a year in San Diego or Los Angeles (although I do think it would be hilarious if they played in L.A. for a year and out-drew both the Rams and the Chargers). They could potentially lease San Francisco's stadium, but I suspect that the 49ers will want too much money, which will make the city of Oakland's rate of $7.5 million suddenly seem much more attractive.

Personally, I think the city of Oakland should call the Raiders' bluff and tell the team to eff off. Make them scramble for a venue so that they end up playing at a community college somewhere.

Screw this kind of thinking.  Perhaps the last game in Oakland, against the Broncos, and you can stomach losing that game?  GTFO with that mess.  I don't give one flying #### about draft position, there's no way I want to remember the donkeys getting the last win in the stadium we have called home, especially against a bad team with a horrible coach and below average QB.  Win the game and deal with draft position later.
Yippee!   My team won 4 games this season.   Sorry for thinking ahead and trying to get the best players possible so our Raiders actually win a playoff game some year.   I don't give a crap about this season.  This team needs a new start.  2020 can't come fast enough.   

Yippee!   My team won 4 games this season.   Sorry for thinking ahead and trying to get the best players possible so our Raiders actually win a playoff game some year.   I don't give a crap about this season.  This team needs a new start.  2020 can't come fast enough.   
I have been as down on the Raiders as anyone this year but throwing in the towel on 2019 seems a tad premature. There has been at least one worst-to-first team in 15 of the last 16 seasons. This year there are two (Bears & Texans). So how about a little more can-do in your attitude friend?

I'm also okay with winning against the Broncos for their last game ever in Oakland....hell I could probably find contentment with 6-10 every single year so long as those six were against Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs.

I'm okay with beating the Broncos and losing Bosa as a result.

I'm (still) not okay with trading a generational talent for a late first round pick, plus a trade up of spots from an early 2nd to a late 1st in two years. Phillip Buchanon and Tyler Brayton. Chucky should've known better. ####### Raiders.

I'm okay with beating the Broncos and losing Bosa as a result.

I'm (still) not okay with trading a generational talent for a late first round pick, plus a trade up of spots from an early 2nd to a late 1st in two years. Phillip Buchanon and Tyler Brayton. Chucky should've known better. ####### Raiders.
Would rather have Bosa than beat the Broncos this year but I think the Cardinals are so bad that we wouldn’t have "won" the first overall pick anyway, so, with that in mind, I’m glad we embarrassed the effin Broncos. 

I have been as down on the Raiders as anyone this year but throwing in the towel on 2019 seems a tad premature. There has been at least one worst-to-first team in 15 of the last 16 seasons. This year there are two (Bears & Texans). So how about a little more can-do in your attitude friend?

I'm also okay with winning against the Broncos for their last game ever in Oakland....hell I could probably find contentment with 6-10 every single year so long as those six were against Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs.
Wow.  I cant believe you are settling for our team to be losers.  If we all keep our expectations that low, the Raiders will always have fans.  Call me crazy but I am not content with six wins/season.  I know a SB appearance is unlikely since there are so many other more talented and better managed teams but I want to see the Raiders win a playoff game some day again. 

Funny, that you mentioned the Bears.  They fleeced some other team to really bolster their D.  Wonder if the Raiders could be at the other end of the fleecing soon to help us go from worst-to-first! 

Looks like 4th overall pick for us. And no better than the 25th and 28th picks according one article I just read. The raiders better take BPA ably every damn pick in the first 3 rounds this year  we have so many holes to fill 

Not many glimmers of hope this season either. 

Looks like 4th overall pick for us. And no better than the 25th and 28th picks according one article I just read. The raiders better take BPA ably every damn pick in the first 3 rounds this year  we have so many holes to fill 

Just be glad the embarrassing season is over.   We get to watch Cooper and Nack in the playoffs now.   Just how good did those trades work out for the Bears and Cowboys?   Giving away Mack will sting for years and the media is going to remind us all of that blunder for many seasons.   

Sounds like Mike Mayock will be the next GM. Always have found him entertaining though I thought recently he had become similar to other guys in just repeating and ranking similar to what whispers he was hearing from front offices around the league. 

Mayock is going to be an easy one to take shots at.  Good luck Raiders Fans
Gruden will take the brunt of that. As Gruden goes so will Mayock. If you’re a guy who has never worked in a front office before I think this may be ideal for him to have some deflecting with the HC in place that has control over personnel decisions. Not saying it’s a good hire but it’s at least a space where if they blow some of these draft picks he’s not 100% on the hook.

Gruden will take the brunt of that. As Gruden goes so will Mayock. If you’re a guy who has never worked in a front office before I think this may be ideal for him to have some deflecting with the HC in place that has control over personnel decisions. Not saying it’s a good hire but it’s at least a space where if they blow some of these draft picks he’s not 100% on the hook.
Depending on whether Gruden actually listens player acquisition probably wont be an issue, especially when mining the bottom of the barrel. Contracts, free agents, and self assessment? That's where the problems will happen. Gruden doesnt have a clue and expecting Mayock to would be crazy. 

This is the type of goofy thing the Raiders would do. There's a huge difference between talking to a whole bunch of people and then pretending that the work is yours and actually evaluating talent and figuring out contracts on your own.

Mayok is a talking head IMO, not a guy who can do this on his own.

This is the type of goofy thing the Raiders would do. There's a huge difference between talking to a whole bunch of people and then pretending that the work is yours and actually evaluating talent and figuring out contracts on your own.

Mayok is a talking head IMO, not a guy who can do this on his own.
A general manager is not a scout or even a director of scouting.  They are a person who must remain well connected and know which research or input on players is trustworthy; then filter through all that input from scouts and weigh it all accordingly to make decisions.  I think Mayock is pretty well equipped to at least take a shot at that role.

Every NFL team has cap experts and that is 100% of their job.  As far as we know, those folks are still in the building for the Raiders despite Reggie's absence.

All of Mayock's opinions have, by the nature of his role, been very public; so it's pretty easy to go back and cherry pick the very good calls and very bad ones that would stand out since it's all out there for years to come.  I suspect you would see much of the same from any successful NFL GM if their private draft notes were public record.

What I do like about this hire, is that I don't see Mayock as just another Gruden underling.  We all know Greg Olsen is not a true NFL OC, at least in the traditional sense of the role.

We definitely won't get Bosa, but perhaps we'll have a shot at Houston DT Ed Oliver.   I know that the kid had the blow-up on the sideline, but he is an absolute monster.    Not just a run stopper, but collapses the pocket from the interior.   

I'm still seething from the Mack trade too, but it is what it is.   I want best player available with the later two first rounders; Goodness knows that we have a ton of needs.    I"m really concerned with how much Derek Carr has regressed.   

Users who are viewing this thread