What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL New Orleans Saints Thread *** (4 Viewers)

Are we excited about Eli Apple?
Not yet. Not bummed, either. Just feel like this is one of those moves that could go either way.

It does seem like, at the minimum, Apple could use a change of scenery. Sometimes, players do a lot better for their second team than their first -- Saints fans don't need to look any further than Akeem Hicks and Malcolm Jenkins for recent examples. I hope the presence of a few of his former Ohio State teammates (Lattimore, V. Bell, not sure if Apple played with K. Coleman) and the steady hand of Aaron Glenn can bring out Apple's best.

I like it.  Big guy w some wheels that has played well before at a position of need.  Going to be a boring draft next year, though.  

Great trade. Looking forward to it. The complaints from Giants fans seem minuscule in light of some of the serious character issues in the league.

What do Saints experts expect from the defense vs. Cooper tonight?  Does Lattimore tend to shadow, or play one side?  Should we be worried about Dallas having only one serious receiving threat, or is the Saints pass D just soft enough across the board to make Amari a must-start?

Saints DC Dennis Allen has typically been employing a Belichickian strategy with opposing receivers: cover the #2 WR with Lattimore one-on-one, and use CB Eli Apple + a safety to cover the opposing #1.

Of course, that's only when the Saints defense is in man coverage. Sometimes they go to zone, as well. But it still means Lattimore will not be shadowing Cooper all game.

Saints DC Dennis Allen has typically been employing a Belichickian strategy with opposing receivers: cover the #2 WR with Lattimore one-on-one, and use CB Eli Apple + a safety to cover the opposing #1.
It looked great against the Falcons, I'd expect the same tonight.  Big difference in the OL play though.  Hopefully the Saints get a big push and don't have to blitz to get any pressure.

It's strange. I think we all felt better about the Saints' play going into the postseason LAST year, yet we have home field advantage this time. And when you look at some advanced stats, this is possibly our best team ever. Yet again, it doesn't feel like it, so I don't really know what the hell to think. 

The next step is Philly, Seattle or Dallas. I would least want to face Seattle of those, but they seem most likely.

It's strange. I think we all felt better about the Saints' play going into the postseason LAST year, yet we have home field advantage this time. And when you look at some advanced stats, this is possibly our best team ever. Yet again, it doesn't feel like it, so I don't really know what the hell to think. 

The next step is Philly, Seattle or Dallas. I would least want to face Seattle of those, but they seem most likely.
When the offensive line was healthy, this team was dominant.  Almost unbeatable.  The offensive decline was directly correlated to the well being of those guys.  If they get healthy in time for next week, they should be fine, and it seems like they are getting close.

Something working in the Saints' favor for next week: Drew Brees and Sean Payton are undefeated together at home in the playoffs.  And I don't expect that stat to change next week, either.

During the Super Bowl era, only six coaches have lasted more than 10 years with the same team and had at least two 11-win seasons after that first decade was over: Bill Belichick (nine), Tom Landry (eight), Don Shula (six), Payton (two), Bill Cowher (two) and Marvin Lewis (two).
- Espn.

Ginn out wide and Tre-Quan in the slot or vice versa?  Different websites show different depth charts.  Who has the more productive year?

Ginn out wide and Tre-Quan in the slot or vice versa?  Different websites show different depth charts.  Who has the more productive year?
"More productive" is going to be a low bar for these guys.  Ginn's going to have his HR games, but I think this is the year they try and find out what Tre'Quan has.  Smith was drafted to fill that Willie Snead role in the slot, gotta figure they give him every chance this season to separate from the Austin Carr's and Keith Kirkwood's of the league.  Smith had to do more outside work last year with Ginn's injury, and had a couple of nice games out there.  Long-term though, IMO his value is a big target in the slot.  I'm not the first to bring it up, but if he has a couple of big drops and Brees loses faith in him...it could be a long season.

From a fantasy perspective, I don't get a good vibe from either of them value-wise.

So long story longer, Ginn out wide, Smith in the slot, Smith for the win

"More productive" is going to be a low bar for these guys.  Ginn's going to have his HR games, but I think this is the year they try and find out what Tre'Quan has.  Smith was drafted to fill that Willie Snead role in the slot, gotta figure they give him every chance this season to separate from the Austin Carr's and Keith Kirkwood's of the league.  Smith had to do more outside work last year with Ginn's injury, and had a couple of nice games out there.  Long-term though, IMO his value is a big target in the slot.  I'm not the first to bring it up, but if he has a couple of big drops and Brees loses faith in him...it could be a long season.

From a fantasy perspective, I don't get a good vibe from either of them value-wise.

So long story longer, Ginn out wide, Smith in the slot, Smith for the win
The part of your reply (thanks btw) which surprised me was putting Carr and Kirkwood in the same tier.  I thought Kirkwood was supposed to be the next big thing?  And that Kirkwood would eat into Tre-quan's share, not Ginn's share?

The part of your reply (thanks btw) which surprised me was putting Carr and Kirkwood in the same tier.  I thought Kirkwood was supposed to be the next big thing?  And that Kirkwood would eat into Tre-quan's share, not Ginn's share?
Ginn is a FA at the end of the season so I don't know how that will play into things, but the Saints seem to really want one of those guys (Kirkwood / Carr / Smith) to be that dependable 3rd and 4 guy that can pick up the first.  The biggest X factor is Cook, who in theory should really open things up for Smith.  Kirkwood and Carr are UDFAs, and the Saints give a lot of rope to their picks (I'm looking at you, Robert Meachem) so all things being equal they'd love for Smith to take a step forward this year

Ginn is a FA at the end of the season so I don't know how that will play into things, but the Saints seem to really want one of those guys (Kirkwood / Carr / Smith) to be that dependable 3rd and 4 guy that can pick up the first.  The biggest X factor is Cook, who in theory should really open things up for Smith.  Kirkwood and Carr are UDFAs, and the Saints give a lot of rope to their picks (I'm looking at you, Robert Meachem) so all things being equal they'd love for Smith to take a step forward this year
Ginn has long speed rather than "quicks" speed. Brees hasn't been able to hit that deep throw - Meach, Devery both examples - consistently in a few years. TreQuan and Kirkwood are more similarly built but Smith is a better athlete. Carr's slighter build and timed slower. The offense will be different with Cook, Kamara and Thomas all commanding attention. Smith/Kirkwood has to be pragmatic and take advantage of the opportunities. That's what opens the offense up really, especially with Drew requiring confidence in his passing targets.

Ginn has long speed rather than "quicks" speed. Brees hasn't been able to hit that deep throw - Meach, Devery both examples - consistently in a few years. TreQuan and Kirkwood are more similarly built but Smith is a better athlete. Carr's slighter build and timed slower. The offense will be different with Cook, Kamara and Thomas all commanding attention. Smith/Kirkwood has to be pragmatic and take advantage of the opportunities. That's what opens the offense up really, especially with Drew requiring confidence in his passing targets.
Agreed.  I'm actually kind of excited this season due to Cook.  He gives them an extra dimension they haven't had there in a while.

Also good to know I'm not the only Saint fan in IL 👍

Agreed.  I'm actually kind of excited this season due to Cook.  He gives them an extra dimension they haven't had there in a while.

Also good to know I'm not the only Saint fan in IL 👍
Cook should help. We haven't had a reliable TE since Watson left after 2015. Even then he wasn't really a key piece of the offense. Cook's hopefully got that veteran guile in his profile because we need guys that rise to the occasion. Can't put the weight of success this season on Brees alone.

There is a great Saints meetup here in Chicago. There is a brass band. Fantastic food, booze, and crowd for pretty much every game. You should check it out if you haven't already...

“It wasn’t our best game. By far, it wasn’t their best game. Quite honestly, it wasn’t New York’s best game.”

—New Orleans coach Sean Payton, after the 34-31 win over Carolina gave the Saints a four-game lead over the Panthers in the NFC South—but still upset about a replay review that the league’s New York officiating center called pass interference on the Saints late in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not often the Falcons help the Saints, but that win over SF makes things interesting... especially if its part of what keeps SF as a wild card instead of a division winner

EXCLUSIVE: The New Orleans Saints are going to court to keep secret hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the area's Roman Catholic archdiocese amid its sexual abuse crisis.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1220724744833597446

Saints selected Michigan C Cesar Ruiz with the No. 24 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ruiz (6’3/307) was a three-year starting center at Michigan who earned second-team All-Big Ten honors as a true junior in 2019 by allowing zero sacks and just two quarterback hits per PFF. More athletic than most interior linemen, Ruiz wins with his first step and fluidity throughout the play. His patience and body control make him great in pass protection, but his 84th percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism really pops as a run-blocker, especially whenever asked to pull or find a defender at the second level. Only 20 years old, Ruiz has time to fix the few holes in his game to reach his Pro Bowl upside and is more than good enough to be a rookie-year starter in the meantime.

Apr 23, 2020, 11:11 PM ET

NFL Network's Albert Breer reported the Saints "have been calling around to teams early in tonight's order to explore getting a pick near the top of the second round."

Breer added that, "They don't have a 2 right now. So it may require a '21 pick." It's unclear who exactly the Saints could be targeting, but perhaps they want to add an additional weapon at WR to complement Michael Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. The have picks remaining in Round 3 (No. 88), Round 4 (No. 130), Round 5 (No. 169) and Round 6 (No. 203) in the 2020 draft, and a full suite of selections to potentially trade away from the 2021 draft. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport seemed to indicate cornerback or linebacker could be addressed.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 1:14 PM ET

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Saints are finalizing a one-year deal with free agent QB Jameis Winston.

No details have been released just yet, but the deal is supposed to be "economical" since the Saints have roughly $3.5 million in cap space available. Winston also won't be guaranteed the backup role behind Drew Brees, instead competing with Taysom Hill, who was retained this offseason with a first-round tender, while also giving the team another viable arm in the event Hill gets injured in his atypical sub-package roles. Taysom has been widely viewed as the heir apparent once Brees reportedly walks away for an analyst job with NBC Sports next offseason, but Winston could very well maneuver his way into the organization's long-term plans with a little bit of luck and successful showing. It's not what the 26-year-old had in mind after throwing for the eighth-most passing yards (5,109) in a single-season in league history last year, but there's a lot to like for both parties in this agreement if the numbers can be agreed upon.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Apr 26, 2020, 4:23 AM ET

Saints signed QB Taysom Hill to a one-year extension through 2021. 

The news breaks the same morning it has been reported the Saints are about to sign Jameis Winston to be Drew Brees' direct backup. It could be an accounting gimmick to clear cap space — the Saints are currently near the bottom, as usual — and spread out Hill's $4.66 million salary over the next two years. Coach Sean Payton's infatuation with Hill is undeniable, but he has also made it clear he does not view Hill as a legitimate backup for Brees.  

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 26, 2020, 11:54 AM ET

Saints signed QB Taysom Hill to a two-year, $21 million contract. 

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the deal includes $16 million guaranteed. Good grief. It is a staggering amount of money for a "quarterback" who attempted six passes last season even as Drew Brees missed five games. Hill handled a modest 46 touches as an offensive weapon. He was efficient both as a runner and receiver, but it is extremely hard to believe the Saints could not receive similar wild cat production from a running back or receiver. Paying Hill this kind of money when he once again will not even be Brees' official backup — Jameis Winston is poised to sign — is frankly ludicrous. It almost has to hint at an expanded role for 2020. Coach Sean Payton is one of the NFL's top minds, but he is really out there with this one.  

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Apr 26, 2020, 12:08 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread