What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

Bye Bye Wallace.

So now we have

Landry

Stills

Matthews

Cameron

I foresee a WR or LB (best available) being drafted in round one if the opportunity presents itself.

Crabtree or Bowe? Shouldnt be too cost prohibitive, and we just freed up some dough. They arguably fit 17s strenghts better than Wallace did.

Bye Bye Wallace.

So now we have

Landry

Stills

Matthews

Cameron

I foresee a WR or LB (best available) being drafted in round one if the opportunity presents itself.
What about oline or CB?
We have needs everywhere. I don't see a guard you take at 14 though. An impact LB, CB or WR seems more likely.

CB

LB

WR

G

FS

Are of the highest priority.

Bye Bye Wallace.

So now we have

Landry

Stills

Matthews

Cameron

What about oline or CB?
We have needs everywhere. I don't see a guard you take at 14 though. An impact LB, CB or WR seems more likely.CB

LB

WR

G

FS

If Wayne's is there I think Mia should take him.

Bye Bye Wallace.

So now we have

Landry

Stills

Matthews

Cameron

What about oline or CB?
We have needs everywhere. I don't see a guard you take at 14 though. An impact LB, CB or WR seems more likely.CB

LB

WR

G

FS

Need a RB and backup QB as well (why not bring Bush and Matt Moore back?). They have money to address most of these in free agency though. Frankly, they have to look into LB and FS in free agency since the draft is so weak there IMO.

CB is interesting right now. I really like what I have read on McCain, he seems like a good fit at nickle. Can Taylor or Davis be a starter? If they can't, why not look to move them too? Waynes would be an good addition as a bigger corner across from Grimes, of course.

Still have to figure out the Clay situation, as that could free up even more cash. Hope they can retain him. If not, I would be on board with a more aggressive move at WR like Crabtree or Parker in the draft. If so, a cheaper guy like Cecil Shorts would be a good fit for Tannehill.

I like a lot of the second round guards, I think that is the best bet there.

I'm excited that Miami was able to turn two players they were about to cut into something yesterday, even if it wasn't much. Saves money too.

I like the idea of Stills a lot. We're about to find out how much of Tannehill's deep ball troubles were Wallace's bad attitude.

Makes sense to focus on needs, but it is still exciting that Miami grabbed Suh and Cameron. Those are impact players.

Also, Miami gave Suh so much guaranteed money it is actually safe to buy his jersey. :)

psychobillies said:
massraider said:
Football Jones said:
You have to wonder what the Saints are doing. You could understand Graham. He's not a strong blocker & you can certainly have a top offense without a joker TE, but Stills is an up & coming WR. He's cheap & has a lot of talent.

Stills finally gets a chance to be a full-time WR. He could be one of FF's biggest surprises next season.
You have to wonder what the Saints know about Stills that they didn't like.
It might just be that Cooks and Stills are similar players, and they didn't need both. They obviously want to load up on draft picks. How bad was Ellerbe with Miami? Looks like he got the money and busted. Is that accurate?
Not sure I get the Stills hype... a dangerous deep threat but just an average NFL receiver. For Miami, he is an inexpensive Wallace replacement. Not that there is anything wrong with that or what he brings to the table. I don't think there is a huge ceiling.

psychobillies said:
massraider said:
Football Jones said:
You have to wonder what the Saints are doing. You could understand Graham. He's not a strong blocker & you can certainly have a top offense without a joker TE, but Stills is an up & coming WR. He's cheap & has a lot of talent.

Stills finally gets a chance to be a full-time WR. He could be one of FF's biggest surprises next season.
It might just be that Cooks and Stills are similar players, and they didn't need both. They obviously want to load up on draft picks. How bad was Ellerbe with Miami? Looks like he got the money and busted. Is that accurate?
Not sure I get the Stills hype... a dangerous deep threat but just an average NFL receiver. For Miami, he is an inexpensive Wallace replacement. Not that there is anything wrong with that or what he brings to the table. I don't think there is a huge ceiling.
He is 23 and has 1500+ receiving yards in the NFL. He runs a sub 4.4, and has shown he is not a one trick pony. Im not calling him a lock to be a stud or even a starter, but how can you possibly place limits on his ceiling at this point? All he has done is produce...and worth repeating... 23 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
psychobillies said:
massraider said:
Football Jones said:

He is 23 and has 1500+ receiving yards in the NFL. He runs a sub 4.4, and has shown he is not a one trick pony. Im not calling him a lock to be a stud or even a starter, but how can you possibly place limits on his ceiling at this point? All he has done is produce...and worth repeating... 23 years old.
I think he's shown he is mostly a one trick pony up to now. That's not to say he always will be. Like you said he's young, 23. I'm very curious how he does this year. Let's face it, NO is pretty much optimal circumstances for WR production. Elite QB, pass heavy offense, had an elite threat to take pressure off in Graham and extremely good play calling/scheme. Will he be as good outside of that offense? I don't know. I'm just as curious about Graham in Sea to be honest. I think most are accepting that as a major blow to his fantasy value.

I think he's shown he is mostly a one trick pony up to now. That's not to say he always will be. Like you said he's young, 23. I'm very curious how he does this year. Let's face it, NO is pretty much optimal circumstances for WR production. Elite QB, pass heavy offense, had an elite threat to take pressure off in Graham and extremely good play calling/scheme. Will he be as good outside of that offense? I don't know. I'm just as curious about Graham in Sea to be honest. I think most are accepting that as a major blow to his fantasy value.
Pulling these out of the Stills thread, but they came from Rotoworld blurbs. In his first season, he clearly was a one trick pony, and did quite well with that one trick given his 6th round draft status and extremely young age. In year 2, he seemed to turn a corner with regard to the extent of his route tree and use in the passing game. Nice progression from a solid year one to a better year two. Granted, Tannehill is no Drew Brees, so expectations may need to be tempered, but the notion that Stills is a one trick pony is definitely in dispute.

Dolphins acquired WR Kenny Stills from the Saints in exchange for LB Dannell Ellerbe and a 2015 third-round pick.

We're not sure what the Saints are thinking here. Stills is a soon-to-be 23-year-old playmaker with two years left on his contract at minimum salary. It's a great get for the Dolphins, who were going to cut Ellerbe and his inflated salary anyway. Stills isn't just a deep threat, either; he was fourth in the league among receivers with his 78.8 percent catch rate last season. Acquiring Stills may mean the end is near for Mike Wallace in Miami. Mar 13 - 12:37

Kenny Stills' most common route run in 2014 was a hitch.

As a rookie in 2013, Stills mostly ran vertical "go" routes. The Saints asked him to expand his tree last year and he responded with impressive execution. Drew Brees had a 112.0 passer rating when targeting Stills, who caught 74.1 percent of his targetsand finished with a 63-931-3 line. Brandin Cooks will return to take away some of Stills' underneath looks, but there's still plenty to like here -- especially with Marques Colston nearing the end of the line.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero · 1h 1 hour ago

---> RT @corryjoel: Miami has $7.8M of dead money instead of $4.2M for Dannell Ellerbe after eating $3.6M in a pre-trade renegotiation.

Oooooof

Any chance the Fins match or counter the Bills offer on Clay?

5 years $38m, $20m gtd - 24m over the first two years.

Dont think so. Wish him luck in Buffalo.

This team needs receiving weapons if it wants the Tannehill investment to pay off. I would look for two WR's in this draft.

This link comes from a post in the Suh appreciation thread. If it is accurate in its details, it is a substantial concern. $28M against the 2016 cap? Thats a ridiculous amount, even if the cap is going up.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25109985/ndamukong-suhs-contract-could-come-back-to-haunt-dolphins
Need to resign some guys who could be "spiked" in the second year too, but have $20mm in 2016 cap space at the moment.
on 35 contracts

Miami signs JD Walton. Started at center last year for the Giants and started in Denver previously. Seems like a good signing and they want to try him at guard.

I really think the AFC East gets crazy next year. New England has lost big names on the defense. Lots of respect for Belichick and his ability to adapt but injuries and attrition could easily bring them back to the pack. Miami's defense could be formidable as could the Bills as well. If Buffalo gets good QB play, they could be scary. They have play makers on offense (McCoy, Watkins, now Clay, etc.). Lots of changes in NY but let's hope nothing goes well for the Jets.

I really think the AFC East gets crazy next year. New England has lost big names on the defense. Lots of respect for Belichick and his ability to adapt but injuries and attrition could easily bring them back to the pack. Miami's defense could be formidable as could the Bills as well. If Buffalo gets good QB play, they could be scary. They have play makers on offense (McCoy, Watkins, now Clay, etc.). Lots of changes in NY but let's hope nothing goes well for the Jets.
Percy Harvin in Buffalo too. If they get even average QB play, they will be a real tough out.

Jets got a lot better too. Their top 3 CBs are probably the best trio in football, anfter being one of the worst last year. At least in the top 5. I have a feeling they are going to make a play for Brees too. Just a gut feeling. Seems like New Orleans may have accepted that they are not a championship caliber team and may be ready to move on and get value while there still is value to be returned.

Percy Harvin in Buffalo too. If they get even average QB play, they will be a real tough out.

Jets got a lot better too. Their top 3 CBs are probably the best trio in football, anfter being one of the worst last year. At least in the top 5. I have a feeling they are going to make a play for Brees too. Just a gut feeling. Seems like New Orleans may have accepted that they are not a championship caliber team and may be ready to move on and get value while there still is value to be returned.
Wow, that does makes sense. As you know, the Dolphins could have landed Brees when he left San Diego. The Brady/Brees competition would have been great for the NFL.

Brees is my dynasty QB... I hope he doesn't go to NYJ. It could be an upgrade over N'Orleans, especially after this off-season. I just couldn't root for the Jets.

Seems like the Bills bid against themselves on Clay, his last contract discussions were under $2mm per.

Delmas was resigned, that is helpful.

Big hole at guard and wide receiver still

Always a fun day of info:

Breakfast with Joe Philbin: Notes, quotes

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- I had breakfast with Joe Philbin this morning as the media does every year at the annual meeting. I had scrambled eggs, bacon and taters. He had coffee.

Miami Dolphins football was discussed.

The highlights:

Not to beat a drum I've been on the past couple of days but it is clear Billy Turner will get the chance to win the starting RG job in training camp while Dallas Thomas gets his chance at LG. The reason Turner is at RG?

Philbin said it is as simple as he likes how Turner lines up in a right hand stance more than the left hand stance. "You can't play the position if you can't get in the stance," Philbin said. So there is that.

Philbin made the point that tight end Jordan Cameron is a much different type of tight end than the departed Charles Clay. Cameron, Philbin said, is more a seam threat. "His catch radius is bigger," Philbin said.

Philbin said he spoke with re-signed Louis Delmas on Friday and that the safety is "progressing well" from knee surgery last November to repair his ACL. Philbin stuck an optimistic tone to the Delmas recovery, even suggesting the player will be ready for the start of the season.

"We're optimistic he's going to make a full and quick recovery," Philbin said.

The Koa Misi middle linebacker experiment is back on, apparently suggesting the expected chase for free agent middle linebackers will not necessarily bear fruit.

So "as of right now" Misi is Miami's MLB again.

Dion Jordan is going to be a defensive end almost exclusively at this point. Philbin said the Dolphins want the 2013 No. 3 overall draft pick to concentrate on learning to rush the passer and he cannot do that playing linebacker.

So the plan at this point is he's going to be immersed at defensive end.

Philbin explained why he kept defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. He said he recognized the defense's performance at the end of 2014 was unacceptable but he elected to take a long view of the work Coyle had done over three years rather than what happened over the last six games of last season.

"We had a number of different discussion," Philbin said. "We went back and forth and I like our defensive staff. We have things we must do better. But at the end of the day we went in the direction that is the best thing fore the team."

Philbin said he has asked Coyle to "simplify." The Dolphins had too many personnel packages and combinations. That will change.

Philbin said Kenny Stills seems to be a "good scheme fit" for what Bill Lazor will be doing with the offense. The Dolphins studied Stills and saw that his catch percentage (targets to catches) is among the best in the NFL.

Philbin was asked more Ndamukong Suh questions than anything else. And he defended the idea that Suh has grown and matured from the stomping, groin kicking incidents that have made headlines and gotten Suh suspended in the past.

"Some of those happened a long time ago," Philbin said. "What we're focused on is his contribution and leadership. He's at a different stage in his career."

The problem is, a Detroit writer brought up the fact Suh had a stomping incident at the end of last season against Aaron Rodgers.

Philbin dismissed that.

Philbin was asked multiple questions about the improvement of the Bills, Dolphins and Jets in the AFC East as they chase the New England Patriots.

"It's going to be a very, very competitive division," Philbin said. "It's going to be fun."

What do you guys think of Gurley to Miami?
I just can't get behind drafting a guy with such an injury concern. I wouldn't rule out a RB though since Philbin and Lazor don't seem to trust Miller.
They could lean on Miller early and ease Gurley into the role. Just saw Gurley mentioned with a link to Miami as a BPA pick in his thread.

I was banking on Miller next year as a RB2/3 but a Gurley draft pick would obviously kill his value. Of course, Miller is a FA after this year is he not?

What do you guys think of Gurley to Miami?
I just can't get behind drafting a guy with such an injury concern. I wouldn't rule out a RB though since Philbin and Lazor don't seem to trust Miller.
They could lean on Miller early and ease Gurley into the role. Just saw Gurley mentioned with a link to Miami as a BPA pick in his thread.

I was banking on Miller next year as a RB2/3 but a Gurley draft pick would obviously kill his value. Of course, Miller is a FA after this year is he not?
Yes. Miller is a FA after next year along with Tannehill and Oliver Vernon, so they're going to need to figure out a way to squeeze them all under the cap.

I like the idea of Gurley to Miami just so I can draft him in fantasy and still have something Dolphins-related to root for in the last month of the season.

If he is truly a generational AP-esque talent, then you cant let a slightly above average guy like Lamar Miller stop you from drafting him. Especially if he is in his walk year. If you can get a talent like they say Gurley is, on a rookie 14th overall pick deal for 4-5 years, you have to very strongly consider doing that, and letting Miller walk unless the hometown discount is simply spectacular. I personally have never seen Gurley play aside from highlight reals, but people whose opinions I trust say he is absolutely the real deal.

I would also hope that if he falls to them that they strongly consider all offers. If another team has a real strong desire to add him and is willing to overpay, you have to consider that. We have a few glaring holes, and starting RB happens to not be one of them right now, so if we can use the draft position to plug several holes instead of fortifying a position that is already OK, then that has to be considered.

If he is as good as people are saying he is, I suspect that a team in need will trade up before 14 to grab him, rather than take their chances on waiting that long. I know most mocks have him falling into our range, but if he is truly as special as people claim, I bet someone trades up into the top 10 to ensure that they get him.

If he is truly a generational AP-esque talent, then you cant let a slightly above average guy like Lamar Miller stop you from drafting him. Especially if he is in his walk year. If you can get a talent like they say Gurley is, on a rookie 14th overall pick deal for 4-5 years, you have to very strongly consider doing that, and letting Miller walk unless the hometown discount is simply spectacular. I personally have never seen Gurley play aside from highlight reals, but people whose opinions I trust say he is absolutely the real deal.

I would also hope that if he falls to them that they strongly consider all offers. If another team has a real strong desire to add him and is willing to overpay, you have to consider that. We have a few glaring holes, and starting RB happens to not be one of them right now, so if we can use the draft position to plug several holes instead of fortifying a position that is already OK, then that has to be considered.

If he is as good as people are saying he is, I suspect that a team in need will trade up before 14 to grab him, rather than take their chances on waiting that long. I know most mocks have him falling into our range, but if he is truly as special as people claim, I bet someone trades up into the top 10 to ensure that they get him.
Exactly what I did in the shark pool mock.

Miami Dolphins: 5 Best Offseason Moves

Just looking at Miami's defensive ranks from last season, they were 6th best in yards allowed to the pass but 24th in rushing yards allowed.

I would think Suh helps a great deal especially against the run.

The Dolphins could end up running more offensive plays in 2015 if they do significantly improve their run defense.

Dion Jordon gone for the 2015 season. What a boneheaded pick that was, ugh.
Hmmm. That's perfect timing for the Dolphins, don't you think? Getting rid of a disappointing player without having to pay his salary. Seems like it would be a pretty sneaky strategy for teams to discourage certain players from staying clean and sober.

Feel like we can actually go BPA in this draft. Unlike other recent seasons we dont have a glaring flashing red light need this year. We can use help at a few places, but none are positions that 100% have to be addressed with the 14th overall pick.

If Gurley is as good as they say he is, and is a once in a generation talent, then he will probably be the BPA if he is available. You have a strong lean in another direction?

As a Lamar Miller owner, and one who has been leaning toward more loyalty to my dynasty team than my real team after decades of disappointment and disgust, the Gurley pick would hurt in some ways. However, just from a pure Fins fan perspective with no fantasy influence, I think thats who I would be hoping to get. I base this completely on what I read - dont watch a lot of college football and have never actually seen the guy play. What I read says that he is the best RB since AP. Although, I did read the same about Trent Richardson a few years ago.

ETA - If he is indeed as good as they say, I bet someone trades up to get him before he gets to 14 anyway. Especially with rumors of Miami coveting him.

Parker is a home run pick, didn't think he would make it to Miami.
I cant remember the last time a player who I liked fell to Miami and the Dolphins actually took him. This pick makes all the sense in the world. Have to invest in the offense if youre going to pay Tannehill. Nice job Hickey.

All on Tannehill's shoulders now. If he is the QB the fans are expecting him to be, there's no reason why were not 10-6. Question is will he deliver?

I kind of like the idea of trading a 6th or 7th to St Louis for Zack Stacy if thats possible. He is their 4th RB at this point, and wants out. Still very young. Nice big guy to spell Miller with, and give 8-10 carries per game. No brainer for a 6th rounder IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread