What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Marvel's The Defenders -Netflix original series thread*** (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
Official Trailer

Marvel’s The Defenders follows Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Luke Cage (Mike Colter) and Iron Fist (Finn Jones). A quartet of singular heroes with one common goal – to save New York City. This is the story of four solitary figures, burdened with their own personal challenges, who realize they just might be stronger when teamed together.

The Netflix original series will launch globally on August 18, 2017.

:popcorn:  

I'm looking forward to this series.  I hope they do it more like Daredevil and less like Luke Cage & Iron Fist.

ETA:  That trailer looks pretty great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to like this show but do why did they have to pick the most boring super heroes? The only part I liked of most of their solo series was the punisher parts.

I'm looking forward to this series.  I hope they do it more like Daredevil and less like Luke Cage & Iron Fist.

ETA:  That trailer looks pretty great.
I liked the Cottonmouth half of Luke Cage the best of any stretch in the series.

I want to like this show but do why did they have to pick the most boring super heroes? The only part I liked of most of their solo series was the punisher parts.
If they were awesome superheroes, they'd be in theaters.  I'd rather have these good shows about lame heroes than lame movies about cool heroes.

I'm in. Jessica Jones as a hot, alcoholic, superhero is cool enough to pull the others along.
I thought it was cool that they showed JJ and Luke Cage just letting go in the bedroom... they both finally found someone they wouldn't break in half if they actually tried in bed, which would have to be a great feeling.

Just realized that my weekend is jam-packed.  I'll be lucky to watch a single episode this weekend....either that or I don't sleep. :hot:

Sleep is overrated.

Just realized that my weekend is jam-packed.  I'll be lucky to watch a single episode this weekend....either that or I don't sleep. :hot:

Sleep is overrated.
I dont think I have anything this weekend that will prevent me watching.

Catch up on last 3 eps of GoT Friday night and then binge this!  WOOHOO

Looking forward to starting the series tonight.  Nothing much on tap for this weekend, so I should get through most of it - i have to spend a little bit of time with my family. :popcorn:

I almost stayed up until 2:00am CST to watch the first episode, but have too much going on this weekend.  Won't get to watch it until Saturday late night. 

Haven't finished yet, but this has to be the best line of the series:

My name is Elektra Natchios, and you work for me now. Any questions?

Watched 6 of the 8 friday night and the final 2 on Saturday.

Enjoyed it.  Iron Fist wasn't as annoying as he was in his series.  Loved Daredevil and Jessica Jones in this.  My sister hadn't seen any of the shows (her husband had) and she watched this and now wants to go back and watch Daredevil.  She also didn't like the Iron Fist actor.

Watched 6 of the 8 friday night and the final 2 on Saturday.

Enjoyed it.  Iron Fist wasn't as annoying as he was in his series.  Loved Daredevil and Jessica Jones in this.  My sister hadn't seen any of the shows (her husband had) and she watched this and now wants to go back and watch Daredevil.  She also didn't like the Iron Fist actor.
I'm 2 episodes in.  Feels like they are slow playing the plot and action, but I'm really liking the Daredevil internal struggle (and Karen Page :wub:  ).  All the characters have been introduced (I think).  Wish they could have included Fisk & Castle in there somehow, but that could have muddied the story a bit too much.  They have been two of the best characters in the series'.

I'm 2 episodes in.  Feels like they are slow playing the plot and action, but I'm really liking the Daredevil internal struggle (and Karen Page :wub:  ).  All the characters have been introduced (I think).  Wish they could have included Fisk & Castle in there somehow, but that could have muddied the story a bit too much.  They have been two of the best characters in the series'.
Agreed.  The first 6 kinda blend together since I watched them all back to back but I think you are right about where it gets going.

When can we talk about the end without using spoiler tags? 

Loved the season. Probably behind DD for me but ahead of the others and all were enjoyable. 

I didnt realize it was only 8 epsiodes.
Neither did I! You know when I realized it? When the credits were rolling after ep 8 and then Netflix tried to autoplay Familt Guy.  Which is extra weird because I hate that show. 

Seriously. I watched the last 4 episodes in a row tonight thinking I had 4. More to go. Changed perspective I suppose. But I lov d this series 

. Great internal conflicts on both sides. Love all the main players. 

Watched 1-4 last night and like it so far. The restaurant scene had some great interaction and 1 liners. Can't wait to finish tonight.

3 episodes in (end of episode 3 was amazing BTW). Iron Fist is so much better in this than his own series (not his acting but his powers). And Jessica Jones rocks. So many one-liners and sexy as hell.

Jessica Jones line

"You look like an #######" when Daredevil used her scarf had my wife and I laughing for 15 minutes even after the episode was done.

5 episodes in so far.  Going to try and finish it off tonight.  Definitely enjoy this series more than the individual seasons (except maybe DD).  The pace is pretty good, I think.  Just when it starts to slow down, Boom!  An action scene pops up and someone's getting hit or kicked.  I like the way the team is gelling, and the story doesn't feel/seem forced.  Looking forward to the last few episodes, but already know I'll be wanting a 2nd season sooner rather than later.  Maybe bring in some new folks like Punisher or Moon Knight in Season 2?

Wife and I watched all 8 episodes this past Saturday. We thought it was Ok-good. I wasn't familiar with the characters nor had we watched any individual series, so that may play a role in my lukewarm review:

I found Jessica Jones to be more annoying than anything else. She never really did anything but make snarky comments. None of the 4 defenders really had very interesting "powers" and most of the series was just one martial arts fight after another. It's only been a few days and I barely remember anything about it except the fighting.

I also felt the character conflicts/internal struggles were very ham-handed. I kept thinking, "OK, we get it already".

We'll probably watch next season if we remember and don't have anything else but for us it probably won't be something we particularly prioritize. Hate giving such a mediocre review since everyone seems to like it much more, which makes me think it's just me and not being familiar with the characters.

Wife and I watched all 8 episodes this past Saturday. We thought it was Ok-good. I wasn't familiar with the characters nor had we watched any individual series, so that may play a role in my lukewarm review:

I found Jessica Jones to be more annoying than anything else. She never really did anything but make snarky comments. None of the 4 defenders really had very interesting "powers" and most of the series was just one martial arts fight after another. It's only been a few days and I barely remember anything about it except the fighting.

I also felt the character conflicts/internal struggles were very ham-handed. I kept thinking, "OK, we get it already".

We'll probably watch next season if we remember and don't have anything else but for us it probably won't be something we particularly prioritize. Hate giving such a mediocre review since everyone seems to like it much more, which makes me think it's just me and not being familiar with the characters.
The backstories bring in a lot more emotion and clarifies the internal struggles with each of them.  There are a lot of facial expressions and reactions that don't make a lot of sense if you don't know what that character went through.

Enjoyed it. Thought it was generally well done. Still think Iron Fist is rather awful. I don't read the comics but is he supposed to be a powerful character? He keeps getting his ### kicked and taken prisoner without any difficulty at all. He's by far the weakest of this group and the weakest link in the Marvel/Netflix lineup. Colleen Wing is a damn good character, though, so at least something from that show is watchable. The hallway fight scene was damn good. 

Thought they did a good job generally of establishing the group and then leading into their upcoming seasons and a possible Season 2 of The Defenders. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. 

I'm through episode 4.  Episode 3 was the best so far.

Stick cutting off his hand and then walking around and fighting like nothing was wrong is the weirdest thing so far.  And there was one scene where the handless arm was actually longer than the other arm (at least shorten it up somehow people).  I'm not a stickler for these things, but I kinda laughed at that one.  Also, Stick is like an over the top badass to the point that it is cartoonish.  Love the main characters, but they've taken him a little too far, IMO.

I'm through episode 4.  Episode 3 was the best so far.

Stick cutting off his hand and then walking around and fighting like nothing was wrong is the weirdest thing so far.  And there was one scene where the handless arm was actually longer than the other arm (at least shorten it up somehow people).  I'm not a stickler for these things, but I kinda laughed at that one.  Also, Stick is like an over the top badass to the point that it is cartoonish.  Love the main characters, but they've taken him a little too far, IMO.
I agree with this.

Enjoyed it. Thought it was generally well done. Still think Iron Fist is rather awful. I don't read the comics but is he supposed to be a powerful character? He keeps getting his ### kicked and taken prisoner without any difficulty at all. He's by far the weakest of this group and the weakest link in the Marvel/Netflix lineup. Colleen Wing is a damn good character, though, so at least something from that show is watchable. The hallway fight scene was damn good. 

Thought they did a good job generally of establishing the group and then leading into their upcoming seasons and a possible Season 2 of The Defenders. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. 
I like the way they are bringing iron fist along. I think he will eventually be the most powerful of this group. They allude to him being just a child quite often. He has had no real interaction with people for like 10 years. 

Ok to watch this without watching Iron Fist, or should I watch Iron Fist first even though I heard it was bad?

Ok to watch this without watching Iron Fist, or should I watch Iron Fist first even though I heard it was bad?

Enjoyed it. Thought it was generally well done. Still think Iron Fist is rather awful. I don't read the comics but is he supposed to be a powerful character? He keeps getting his ### kicked and taken prisoner without any difficulty at all. He's by far the weakest of this group and the weakest link in the Marvel/Netflix lineup.

If you don't know Iron Fist then you should be knocking him. Why do you assume he's an unstoppable force? He gets his ### kicked plenty in books. Weaknesses make heroes more compelling to me. Daredevil is full of weaknesses as well. 

You don't have to, but it helps to know the story of the villains and their goals. You can get away with just skimming the show's wiki probably. 

Sebowski said:
If you don't know Iron Fist then you should be knocking him. Why do you assume he's an unstoppable force? He gets his ### kicked plenty in books. Weaknesses make heroes more compelling to me. Daredevil is full of weaknesses as well. 
Daredevil doesn't lose nearly every fight he's in and get taken down so easily. 

I don't read the comics so that's why I asked. If he's this terrible of a character in the comics I'm surprised he's become so popular. I agree weaknesses are compelling but a superhero consistently being weak and stupid isn't. Not for me anyway. Sorry.  

Man, the reviews on IMDB are brutal.

I've watched episodes 1-3 so far and mostly enjoyed it. It's been an incredibly slow buildup for sure though. But the end of episode 3 was a pretty great payoff.

And I agree that Iron Fist is the weak link so far. Mostly because his acting just isn't up to the same level as everyone else's. Luke Cage is still my favorite. Great characters.

And as much as I love Daredevil, the constant head tilting ticks annoy me. I know it's part of his echolocation abilities and stuff, but he looks like he has freaking Parkinson's half the time.

Daredevil doesn't lose nearly every fight he's in and get taken down so easily. 

I don't read the comics so that's why I asked. If he's this terrible of a character in the comics I'm surprised he's become so popular. I agree weaknesses are compelling but a superhero consistently being weak and stupid isn't. Not for me anyway. Sorry.  
Iron fist? Seems to be the least popular hero from the shows or movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread