What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official David Cobb - RB Titans Dynasty & Redraft: (2 Viewers)

Coachspeak and what they'll really do are two separate realities.

The coach isn't going to anoint a rookie. Bottomline if Cobb can come in and break some tackles and rush for 75 yards or more and put the rock in the end zone....He's playing!

And IMHO he's got a good chance to do since no one else on the team seems to be able to do so right now.

He's got young, strong, healthy legs as everyone in the league is starting to wear down over the season. I'm holding.
Coach speak seems to gel with coach action so far.

And David Johnson has been pretty magical with his limited touches and his touches are still being limited in Arizona. Wisenhunt and Arians both came out of the Steelers organization too.

With limited options available on the WW at this point of the season I understand getting excited about guys like Cobb but I wouldn't look at him as anything more than a lottery pick and considering the team he is on he's probably closer to a Scratcher than a PowerBall ticket.

Again, Wisenhunt said quite clearly that he doesn't feel obligated to declare a lead RB and that he will let the situation dictate who is in the backfield on any given play.
Since Andrews did well on like 27% of plays and the talk shifted to him, it was like Whis responded by shutting em' all down.

The line has played poorly, much like 2014, and the only holes come when the McCluster is far behind the LOS and the defenders run themselves out of position thinking it's a pass play. If you look back there's nothing for anyone. It's either a wall with no holes or a defender gets the RB a half second after he gets the handoff.

The screens that he said were to combat a great run D were always thrown to Hunter's side and he wasn't getting any action there. The DB could totally cheat and this couldn't be more ineffective. A LB spying the RB and a CB ready for it made the screens look painfully bad.

As I mentioned before, phasing out the FB was foolish just like in 2014.

So imo the last couple weeks has been on horrible coaching decisions, not on any RB. It has been rare to see a decent opportunity for a RB to make a play.

The Falcons have a good run D (I don't think it's great, I think stats look as such because teams try to match Jones and passing game) that will be hard to run on. Most coaches take their token runs to keep a D honest with a FB and bruiser back. That'd be Andrews. If they had Parcells or Gibbs or Cowher this would be "a different animal" and they might even put Klug in on first down to show determination to the D and OL. But nope, the Titans have Whisenhunt who has to be cute and despite little success with RBs operating in his single back set anywhere, he prefers it.

A commonly bad play call, possibly with defender in backfield...I guess that guy should be McCluster.

The only hope for this week is Jones dominating, Mett trying to match with his own arm Hunter and DGB prove too big or too fast for their DBs and the RBs can get some underneath work. It's instead probably going to be Falcons looking smooth as silk and everything the Titans do looking very forced

ETA as far as this thread. Cobb was horrible without a FB. Cobb fans need to look for that with their hopes. He certainly looks like a RB that needs a FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

David Cobb - RB - Titans

TitansOnline's Jim Wyatt believes rookie RB David Cobb (calf, I.R./recall) will be activated when first eligible Week 9 against the Saints.

Cobb began practicing this week and reportedly said he felt as good as he had in a long time after Friday's practice. Cobb will likely be part of the fantasy wasteland known as the Titans' backfield committee when he returns, but he has the talent to demand a large share of the workload. He is worth a stash in deeper leagues.

Related: Terrance West

Source: titansonline.com

Oct 24 - 9:23 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranking NFL backfields from No. 1 to 32

Excerpt:

It's no fun ranking teams this low because one standout rookie can change everything. Maybe that will happen in Tennessee, where coach Ken Whisenhunt summed up David Cobb's "impressive" tape by calling him a "three-down back." Jeremiah labeled Cobb a "sneaky Rookie of the Year candidate," saying: "I'm a big fan of David Cobb. He's a really good player, just a hard runner and I think his game translates very well to the next level. I know that Sankey's been a big disappointment early on and I think Cobb could wrangle away that job and he'd be one to watch."
I know this is really old.

But any chance Whis still thinks this?

The most likely role for Cobb when he gets back is take over from Sankey and Andrews stays lead dog maybe moving up to 12-15 carries a game?

There's no way to tell really is there.

Rookie running back David Cobb, on IR/recall since the start of the season, is happy to get the change of scenery that comes with starting to practice again. The Titans have a three-week window to move him to the active roster or put him on IR, says Glennon.

To which I say: Cobb should be an upgrade to the Titans running back committee. I like to dream of a scenario where he’d get a lead role and more carries than anyone else over a long stretch.
- Paul Kuharsky, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/16458/rb-david-cobb-has-a-chance-to-be-back-for-nov-8-at-saints

I picked him up as a speculative add after losing foster. I chose him over guys like blue, Polk, and darkwa (the only Rb that I now regret not picking up over Cobb BC I just have a feeling he takes over the Giants backfield).

Cobb comes into a situation in week 9 where there is very little competition in front of him for the lead role. Sankey sucks. Andrews is pedestrian, mccluster isn't a lead back. The opportunity is there.

I picked him up as a speculative add after losing foster. I chose him over guys like blue, Polk, and darkwa (the only Rb that I now regret not picking up over Cobb BC I just have a feeling he takes over the Giants backfield).

Cobb comes into a situation in week 9 where there is very little competition in front of him for the lead role. Sankey sucks. Andrews is pedestrian, mccluster isn't a lead back. The opportunity is there.
I'm thinking like that as well, with Foster gone, looking for a solid double here with Cobb...

although I am intrigued by Darkwa as well....I think I'm gonna take a chance on Cobb and hope he helps me in the stretch run...

Well I lost Foster. Considering picking this guy up over Blue and all the other crap in the wire
Me too. Like stated above it's a lottery pick....might pay off.
He was kind of a no brainer add for me. Not that he's definitely going to pay off but he has such a great situation that it's a bit hard to ignore. Coming back into the lineup with fresh legs on a team where the current RBs have been doing dickall to win the job? Sign me the #### up. He's like a better version of Brandon Lafell in that sense. I picked him up too (two weeks early) but there are so many mouths to feed on that offense I'm not sure it pays off.

Why did a guy who ran for 2800 yards in 2 years in the Big 10 in the 5th round?
Doesn't have the amazing measurables. Was injured during the combine so didn't participate. What he does offer is great vision, patience and pass protection.

#SkiUMah
He has been terrible in pass protection. Every draft review and Whisenhunt's own view at Senior Bowl seemed to indicate he wasn't, but when he got there. He was brutal. The game is faster and the blitz schemes more complicated but they expected he'd pick it up.

Sylvester Croom, longtime NFL RB coach, got so angry he left the sideline and went onto the field to scold him. He's been coaching like 30 years and that has never happened.

From PK

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Earlier we referred to an article that has running backs coach Sylvester Croom expressing major disappointment in the blitz pick-up work of his guys.

Things did not improve at Friday morning’s Tennessee Titans practice.

Rookie David Cobb was beat by undrafted rookie linebacker Dezmond Johnsontwice. Cobb didn’t plant his feet and was off balance, and coaches let him know it. The second win for Johnson was with a quick swim move.

Cobb did recover for a nice snap against Zach Brown.

From Glennon

One thought that strikes fear into the hearts of theTitans is that of an unblocked rusher getting a free shot at rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota.

As athletic as he is, Mariota can’t avoid every hit.

That’s why Titans running backs coach Sylvester Croom is making pass protection the top priority for his young group of backs, who will often represent the last line of defense between punishing linebackers and the presumed quarterback of the future.

In the early stages of training camp, however, the demanding Croom isn’t very happy with what he’s been seeing.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do in that area,” Croom said. “We’ve got to get a lot better on our pass-protection technique. Right now, our linebackers are embarrassing us in practice. They’re killing us. Our backs have to get a lot better at picking up blitzes.”

I swear i responded to this earlier, but thanks Bri. I didn't see he had troubles with blocking. He seemed to do a great job for us. Hopefully he can figure that part out :)

Rotoworld:

David Cobb - RB - Titans

Titans RB David Cobb (calf) expects to be activated from injured reserve-designated for return this week.

Cobb said he is "ready to go" for Week 9 against the Saints. Cobb looked like the Titans' best between-the-tackles runner in preseason games, but coach Ken Whisenhunt seems to love his multi-back rotation of Dexter McCluster, Antonio Andrews, and others. Cobb is worth a stash in 16-team leagues.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Nov 2 - 3:55 PM

Sankey screwed up kick returner job so McCluster probably has to take over that role. With Wright and Douglas banged up, McCluster might have to line up at WR a little, too, at least in the short term. That might mean less snaps at RB for McCluster so maybe there really is room for Cobb in this crazy rotation.

Sankey screwed up kick returner job so McCluster probably has to take over that role. With Wright and Douglas banged up, McCluster might have to line up at WR a little, too, at least in the short term. That might mean less snaps at RB for McCluster so maybe there really is room for Cobb in this crazy rotation.
Whis announced that Sankey was demoted and that McCluster will be both the KR and PR moving forward.

He also said Cobb was overweight during the weigh in and because of this he's not guaranteed any touches this week.

Whis announced that Sankey was demoted and that McCluster will be both the KR and PR moving forward.

He also said Cobb was overweight during the weigh in and because of this he's not guaranteed any touches this week.
And I'm the Titans fan. :bag:

what he said. I've been telling you guys the negative viewpoint for a long while now so I'm not surprised. What gets me is that he's not just overweight but overweight where Whis says he needs to consult the trainer. That trainer part seemed to include extra concern. Here it is, judge for yourself

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Six-Big-Topics-from-Ken-Whisenhunts-Press-Conference/e925288f-89d2-4949-a37c-23db4bea67c1

Whisenhunt wouldn’t commit to making that move this week, however. The Titans could wait until next week before making a decision.

Whether or not Cobb would immediately be in the mix for carries, well, that depends on his conditioning.

“It depends on what his weight is, and what kind of shape he is in,’’ Whisenhunt said of Cobb. “He was a little heavy last week at weigh-in, and that was something I wasn’t too happy about. That is all part of the evaluation of him.”

Whisenhunt said he needs to consult with the team’s trainer.

“He made progress last week,’’ Whisenhunt said of Cobb. “The one thing you have to be careful about doing is thinking he is full-go, and then he has a setback. We’ll integrate him as much as we can to find out.

“There’s no guarantee he’ll be back. I think we have a week from today to make the final decision.”

I keep thinking the timing is perfect for West to get another chance.

Has there ever been a young RB written off so quickly? He did lead the Browns in rushing last year. I guess it's like Shula used to do. All we saw was new guy thrust into new offense with very little practice reps and no camp. I gotta figure with several weeks under his belt, it's worth giving him a look, making Sankey inactive, and forcing Cobb to wait a week and lose some weight.

This is not to say Whis' decisions are all full of wisdom and understanding, just my guess

It's really wide open. I'm just rostering Cobb BC he's the only unknown.

We know Sankey sucks.

We know Andrews is pedestrian.

We know Terrance west was ok at times but mostly pedestrian on Cleveland and in limited action in Tennessee.

We know mccluster isn't a feature back.

We don't know cobb's potential though. He could rise to the top or flop and stay in a committee.

But he's the most intriguing out of the lot.

We know Sankey sucks.

We know Terrance west was ok at times but mostly pedestrian on Cleveland and in limited action in Tennessee.

We don't know cobb's potential though. He could rise to the top or flop and stay in a committee.

I would say we know that Cobb's got some work ethic concerns based on comments from camp and now coming in chubby after his long layoff. Doesn't bode well IMO.

papacapps said:
How does Ken Whisenhunt's firing affect Cobb's status or playing time?
Still think out another week. Fat, chubby, overweight...whatever word, just can't be catered to.

Sankey- Whis' firing, is the GM who drafted Sankey next? Does that matter here?

West- out of doghouse...like I said above your post

Andrews- still looks best in limited role. Last week he got some fire in his belly and some of those runs were beastly. I don't think you bench that normally but he could be most at risk here if there is any "help GM keep his job" type thoughts.

McCluster-looks good as 3rd down back, suits him...probably no reason to change this. His body type isn't really made for a featured back role. I'd guess he's well set.

Fluellen- the very typical hard working hustling practice squad guy that has no chance in playing but if the active guys keep messing around could be activated to send a message. Less than one percent chance. Only thing worth noting is (with West's fumbles and incoming attitude, Sankey's running into a wall, Cobb's weight) it might not be too too far of a long shot. If Andrews is a UDFA "hidden gem" in the GM's pocket, maybe this guy could be too. Again, less than one percent chance.

Next week it will still matter that Cobb can't pick up the blitz. If there's a new twist in the O, that might help him as they all start new. He has to have a FB so make sure Fowler is more active this week too. Cobb is very much not a single back set type of RB and looked horrible at it.

JFS171 said:
rickyg said:

We know Sankey sucks.

I would say we know that Cobb's got some work ethic concerns based on comments from camp and now coming in chubby after his long layoff. Doesn't bode well IMO.
Agree.

Also, he's had very little time with the team - missed training camp, missed some preseason, IR all these weeks.

The Titans biggest problem has been protecting the quarterback. I doubt they'll trust this 5th round rookie RB out there in pass-protection for Mariota. Andrews, while not elite, is decent-to-good at running, receiving, pass-blocking. He's a well-rounded player, and probably the best pass blocking RB right now.

I think we're going to see a heavy dose of Andrews for a while. Cobb should eventually earn their trust, probably before the end of the season, but I don't expect it in the next few weeks.

If you're sitting at or near the top of your league and have a spot on your bench you can be patient with, Cobb is your man. Titans are out of it and they're going to have to see if Cobb is their guy for next year, so that should mean plenty of PT from week 11/12 on. If you need something immediately, Andrews is the best of the rest. No question though... Cobb is by far the most intriguing.

oddsbodkins said:
If you're sitting at or near the top of your league and have a spot on your bench you can be patient with, Cobb is your man. Titans are out of it and they're going to have to see if Cobb is their guy for next year, so that should mean plenty of PT from week 11/12 on. If you need something immediately, Andrews is the best of the rest. No question though... Cobb is by far the most intriguing.
If he's fat and out of shape and can't pick up a blitz in practice, there's no way they need to put him in real games to see what they've got. They also have their alleged qb of the future. They're not going to risk his football life on a guy who can't understand the basics of blocking.

I mentioned West as a reason above. On the radio someone said Mularkey has enough to worry about this week. While simple, I think that's quite true too.

A lot going against him for anyone hoping he plays this week

I mentioned West as a reason above. On the radio someone said Mularkey has enough to worry about this week. While simple, I think that's quite true too.

What becomes most important to these interim coaches is winning. There's not time on their resume for cultivating a player. The one thing I am sure of is that West is the mediocrest of the mediocre. He has no high ceiling or reasonable floor.

I would have to think Andrews showed enough to keep getting used. I think it would take Cobb out classic him to get the majority of work.

I would think of this as a tenuous hold on the starter spot. If he struggles, they have backups. If he's "passable" he keeps it. Gotta keep in mind he has very few carries and it's not ADP here.

I have thought since day one he was the best back and I thought he showed why on a few runs last week that ya just sort of had to see to appreciate his toughness. I'm totally "in his corner" here, just wanted to add a grain of salt I guess. I believe he's most complete and knows the offense best and works hardest.

What becomes most important to these interim coaches is winning. There's not time on their resume for cultivating a player. The one thing I am sure of is that West is the mediocrest of the mediocre. He has no high ceiling or reasonable floor.

I would have to think Andrews showed enough to keep getting used. I think it would take Cobb out classic him to get the majority of work.
Yeah just like I said there's this "tangle" with failed draft pick and GMs job on the line. We don't know about the back door discussions.

Sankey is a flop, can Webster handle Cobb flopping? (Cobb showing up in shape, good attitude and doing well in 2016 won't matter at the current moment)

There's also this very odd treatment Cobb has received by 8 zillion writers where they behaved like he was a 1st or 2nd round pick and he was really a 5th rounder after two 4ths. GM and Whis bought into that hype some so he has an inordinary amount of exposure here.

By comparison, Fowler and Blackson in 4th have received almost no press. 7th McBride hasn't really been heard of since he was called a steal few days after the draft. That 5th round RB has been quite unusual.

oddsbodkins said:
If he's fat and out of shape and can't pick up a blitz in practice, there's no way they need to put him in real games to see what they've got. They also have their alleged qb of the future. They're not going to risk his football life on a guy who can't understand the basics of blocking.
May I ask, who was the RB protecting/blocking when Mariota was injured?

oddsbodkins said:
Even good blockers get beat by players/schemes sometimes. I'd Cobb hasn't improved he'll be getting his qb wrecked several times a game.

oddsbodkins said:
I don't think there was any, not sure. Remember it was a dirty hit, second of game by same guy.

And Cobb made RB coach Sylvester Croom leave the sideline in practice to go onto the field and yell. He's coached RBs in the NFL 30? years and never done that. We are really talking "not good" as far as blocking, not some grey area

oddsbodkins said:
I don't think there was any, not sure. Remember it was a dirty hit, second of game by same guy.

And Cobb made RB coach Sylvester Croom leave the sideline in practice to go onto the field and yell. He's coached RBs in the NFL 30? years and never done that. We are really talking "not good" as far as blocking, not some grey area
He's coached RBs in the NFL 30? years and never done that.

How the hell do you know that?

We are really talking "not good" as far as blocking, not some grey area

From his draft profile

He can step right in and play because he runs tough and he knows how to pass protect.

Your basically regurgitating some crap you read and stating it as fact.

oddsbodkins said:

He's coached RBs in the NFL 30? years and never done that.

How the hell do you know that?

We are really talking "not good" as far as blocking, not some grey area

From his draft profile

He can step right in and play because he runs tough and he knows how to pass protect.

Your basically regurgitating some crap you read and stating it as fact.
Was going to post links in reply but after that last sentence I won't. Google away if ya want

Users who are viewing this thread