What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official David Cobb - RB Titans Dynasty & Redraft: (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said rookie RB David Cobb will get an extended look in the second preseason game.

After putting on a show with the backups, the Titans will likely give Cobb a chance to show what he can do with the first-team offense. After Bishop Sankey struggled mightily in the preseason opener, a good showing by Cobb could put him on the right side of Tennessee's likely backfield committee.

Related: Bishop Sankey

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter
Aug 20 - 12:38 PM

This guy has a bit of an Al Morris rookie year vibe brewing. Let's see how he looks with and against the ones over the next couple games. If you're more than just curious, you may need to find a way to preemptively stash him, just in case. He looks like the perfect GL back to me (and more).

If you believe in Mariota (I do), then Cobb is a great way to invest in the MM stock on the cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy has a bit of an Al Morris rookie year vibe brewing. Let's see how he looks with and against the ones over the next couple games. If you're more than just curious, you may need to find a way to preemptively stash him, just in case. He looks like the perfect GL back to me (and more).

If you believe in Mariota (I do), then Cobb is a great way to invest in the MM stock on the cheap.
I can see a loose connection but not a strong one. MM should be very good, not so sure on Cobb.

Here's how it works for me... I like Marcus Mariota. I think he's a better version of Kaep. But on my teams he's not worth rostering b/c I would never start him (ARod, Ben), yet I could use a lil RB help.

You know what a successful MM brings as soon as week 1? Opportunities for the players around him. Mr. Cobb, c'mon down.

Here's how it works for me... I like Marcus Mariota. I think he's a better version of Kaep. But on my teams he's not worth rostering b/c I would never start him (ARod, Ben), yet I could use a lil RB help.

You know what a successful MM brings as soon as week 1? Opportunities for the players around him. Mr. Cobb, c'mon down.
sure, there's a connection. But I'd rather invest in Wright or Walker if it's purely out of liking MM.

haven't made my mind up about Cobb yet.

Sankey has shown no ability in the NFL to put his head down and gain yards when the line doesn't succeed.

Andrews has been able to make something out of nothing, even if it's just a few yards.

This week, Cobb will be challenged with doing just that against an amazing Rams DL. It is an outstanding test for a young RB but it's also asking an awful lot. I think week 2 might temper this Cobb enthusiasm.

Week 2 should be the first week we really get to see the Titans use Fowler. He only played 10 plays in week one. He's not a common FB but can carry the rock and catch passes. I prefer FBs in the run game versus single back sets so I think this is a big plus for Sankey, Andrews, and Cobb.

Andrews also gets first team reps and has since day one of the offseason.

He's been their GL back more than any other in practice and the one that came in cold to take the GL carries from Cobb later in the game. He's also the only young back not regularly beaten up by Croom for pass blocking. Cobb is easily the worst in pass protection and doesn't seem at all likely to get 3rd down action.

What seems to be happening though is Cobb and Sankey are the bluechips while Andrews is viewed as the veteran ordinary type. To try and make it something to put in context. Andrews is in year 2 like Sankey, just for context.

Cobb and Sankey get the chances but when they goof, Andrews is always the one the coach calls on and he gets it done.

What doesn't seem to be there, which is greatly in Cobb and Sankey's favor, is a "let's make Andrews the lead back" sentiment from Whis or the OC.

I think they should and figure Andrews has more than earned it, but that talk has not been there.

The fans seemed to want Cobb talk this week and the reporters gave it to them but Roto and others missed that Andrews will also be running with the ones this week.

Sankey will too. It sounds like he's going to have a quick leash and maybe just a series, but he's still getting first crack at it.

This should also be the first time Sankey is used as 3rd down back with his improved pass-blocking but not quite there yet. I think he could be great in this role and do so well he takes himself out of the lead RB contention. He's got the hands, he's got the speed, he's very comfy running outside, loves the sideline...I would not be surprised if he inadvertently categorizes himself this week as a 3rd down back.

The starters will go til some point in the second quarter. If the Rams DL plays like they can, there will be some 3 and outs. I expect it won't be the opportunity everyone is looking for but more second half success for Andrews and Cobb once the Rams second and third string are in.

You Cobb fans and Cobb FF owners should be hoping to see him get GL work and 3rd down work. That's where he needs to step up and what would push him more toward winning the lead back role to get enough stats to make you happy this FF season. Today it is a cluster for FF where each probably isn't valuable enough for redraft-maybe as bye week coverage. Don't forget McCluster getting re-categorized as RB from WR, and given the 3rd down back role which everyone seems to want him to lose.

Most of all, I think what Cobb fans want to see won't happen til week 3 the earliest. That Rams DL is just too good and the Titans OL is not.

Bri - seems like you're somewhat pro-Andrews... Is there a legit chance that he gets a shot as the lead back first?

Bri - seems like you're somewhat pro-Andrews... Is there a legit chance that he gets a shot as the lead back first?
I am somewhat sure but it bugs me that so many sites are ignoring him. It's like umm he was in the game, he has been running with the ones and he is the one that scored.

Since the Titans were 2-14 many don't give them much analyzation whereas with the Pack or Hawks they'd analyze any offensive player. At least that's what I'm guessing as to the reason

As to the other part, your Q-no, not first.

I think it's going well where he could be the lead back opening day. First though was to give Sankey a shot and I'm guessing that is "done" tomorrow night, but even that might be a stretch. Next would be to give Cobb a shot, then (if he struggles) present it to the press as Andrews performed better than the others.

There's really a whole lot on him if you check out Titans writers on the web and twitter. This is not all of a sudden but a PS guy last year that earned his way up AND someone that amassed way more yards than Cobb or Sankey and just about everyone else in college.

Like I said, today (and throughout spring/summer) Whisenhunt's frustration move has been to go with Andrews. It is not to make him the lead back.

I think it's very much undecided but sites are about handing it to Cobb. No one has ever been named a starter for doing well against 3rd string in week 1. Cobb, in fact, wasn't doing well in camp and that game was a tremendous boost for him. Reports are very favorable this week and Whisenhunt said he was out of shape or football shape or somesuch, I think it gave him confidence...whatever the case he's only been good for a week. So today, it's time to build on that and with the game tmrw etc.

There's just a whole "hold on a minute" that needs to happen here and I rrrrrrrrrreally doubt any of them do well against the Rams 1s. They have Fluellen to play against the scrubs, but someone else is playing in the second half too. That expected second half success can't discard if they struggle in the first half. Gotta take in that it's way less talent they're going against.

Looking forward to the game.

STL finished the second half of 2014 a top 5 stop unit by several metrics (PPG, rushing yards, sacks and turnovers), but thay have notoriously started slow in the Fisher era - last year they had an NFL record low 1 sack through the first five games. Other than reigning DROY Aaron Donald, who is a beast against the run, the DL is more accomplished pass rushing. Plus, not sure how long the starters will play in game two of the preseason, so perhaps Cobb will be going against the second unit at times later? Daniel Jeremiah has been talking him up. Should be interesting to see how things shake out in the backfield in the next two games.

Wyatt-

Carrying the football: RookieDavid Cobb had a solid preseason opener and Whisenhunt said he could get more opportunities with the first team moving forward. But second-year backAntonio Andrews shouldn’t be dismissed. The feeling here is Andrews is making the 53-man roster, and it’s just a matter of how much he contributes. Judging from how much work Andrews gets on the practice field, he’s going to get plenty of work early on Sunday himself and could take another big step putting himself in a good spot to earn early time himself.

Whisenhunt Aug 12th-"We felt good about Antonio last year with his body of work for last year's offseason and camp," Whisenhunt said “Now he’s had a full offseason working with these guys and he's getting a lot of reps. He's doing a nice job."

Based on what Croom says, it is shocking that he wouldn't be the starting RB or at least receive a meaningful portion of work. Did you read his comments similarly?
Croom on Cobb: “I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts. But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn’t quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There’s no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.”
He's calling him lazy.

Based on what Croom says, it is shocking that he wouldn't be the starting RB or at least receive a meaningful portion of work. Did you read his comments similarly?
he who? who do you mean here?
Sorry, was referring to your boy Andrews. Croom describes him in terms that seem very positive.

Andrews is consistent, but not the starter. That tells me a lot about what they think of his upside. Sankey needs to be consistent but they think he's talented enough to make him the starter despite the inconsistency.

he who? who do you mean here?
Sorry, was referring to your boy Andrews. Croom describes him in terms that seem very positive.
I think he solidified his role as backup sub and GL back.

Sankey is still the blue-chip.

This week, tonight, we should see a good sprinkling of both for a half.

Whisenhunt was flat out frustrated with Sankey's inability to run tough and put his head down etc. in 2014. Like I said earlier, he had 3 weak runs along with the 3 sweet runs in week one.

Sankey could do a lot of damage tonight if he runs poorly. The last thing he wants to do is restore Whisenhunt's frustration.

There's something to be said for Andrews job being easier with less light or scrutiny on it.

If Andrews rocks tonight, he could be the week one starter.

Short of that, I think it'll stay the same- Sankey with Andrews as the sub, McCluster as 3rd down back.

It's probably time for people to take Andrews with their last pick in FF though. It doesn't seem like a hunch or guess but as close as reality as we can get in preseason, that he'll produce some. How much is debatable but some production seems certain.

In college, he had the most combined yards or all-purpose yards in a single season or somesuch and he did it twice...treating him like just some UDFA shlub doesn't seem at all fair anymore.

I think he's got a chance now. If he does well for a few weeks during the season, then people will bring up his college career and call him an oversight on draft day. He hasn't produced well in an NFL game and I don't think you can jump the shark here.

EDITED

Can't find the Barry comment now, probably pasted it earlier. Titans site

COLLEGE:
• During his four-year career at Western Kentucky, appeared in 42 games, starting 25 contests, including starts in his last 24 appearances. Notched 3,674 yards with 29 touchdowns on 618 carries (5.9 avg.). Scored 198 points on 33 total touchdowns and amassed 6,799 all-purpose yards, an average of 161.9 yards per game.
• As a senior (2013), started all 12 contests and rushed for 1,730 yards to break his own school record by two yards. Rushed for a career-high 16 touchdowns on 267 carries. Was named Sun Belt Conference Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year by The NFL Draft Report. Was a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award and Lee Roy Selmon Spirit Award and a semi-finalist for the Doak Walker Award.
• As a junior (2012), posted 1,728 yards on 304 carries, ranking third in the nation for rushing. Added 37 catches for 432 yards, 234 yards on 19 punt returns and 767 yards on 28 kickoff returns. Led the nation with 3,161 all-purpose yards, the second-highest total in a season by an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision player.

From Bri's article above, per Keaton's comments:

Croom on Andrews: “Right now, Antonio is probably the most consistent guy in the group. When you take running, pass protection, the routes, he is performing at a high level right now. You just want to see consistency and refining pass protection techniques and just consistently playing well, that is what you want to see from him. Right now he is developing into a player you can depend on. The biggest thing for him, I like to see him get his pad level down. He is a strong, powerful runner but if he can be lower it will make him even more effective.”
It feels like Andrews is locked in as the goal line guy. In years past... so what. Now with Mariota and the WR corps developing, the OL perhaps finding some cohesion, etc... that could be a valuable role, especially if it expands beyond goal line / short yardage to red zone.

He's a guy I'd try to find space for on rosters right now... all he may need is an opening. I am not saying they're equivalent in the slightest, but CJ Anderson was viewed pretty similarly at this time a year ago... a guy with some talent, undrafted, fought his way on the roster, started the season 3rd/4th on the depth chart... blew the doors off when he got his chance.

FWIW Andrews is the emergency QB this year, not Wright.

He is also the backup long snapper and backup KR.

While this means little, it does show some serious trust or faith from a coach toward him as a football player.

Russ Lande had him as a second round grade (only one that loved the guy last year) with a disclaimer that he needs to have better ball protection due to fumbling issues so IIRC the result was 5th 6th round guy. I don't think he's fumbled at all since he's been with the Titans (very little play to go on) so maybe Croom has fixed that. It was holding the ball improperly so certainly fixable. I just saw this article the other day, one sec

COLLEGE:

• During his four-year career at Western Kentucky, appeared in 42 games, starting 25 contests, including starts in his last 24 appearances. Notched 3,674 yards with 29 touchdowns on 618 carries (5.9 avg.). Scored 198 points on 33 total touchdowns and amassed 6,799 all-purpose yards, an average of 161.9 yards per game.

• As a senior (2013), started all 12 contests and rushed for 1,730 yards to break his own school record by two yards. Rushed for a career-high 16 touchdowns on 267 carries. Was named Sun Belt Conference Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year by The NFL Draft Report. Was a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award and Lee Roy Selmon Spirit Award and a semi-finalist for the Doak Walker Award.

• As a junior (2012), posted 1,728 yards on 304 carries, ranking third in the nation for rushing. Added 37 catches for 432 yards, 234 yards on 19 punt returns and 767 yards on 28 kickoff returns. Led the nation with 3,161 all-purpose yards, the second-highest total in a season by an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision player.
I do wonder if part of the issue/hesitancy with making Andrews the guy is a lack of core athleticism. He ran a very pedestrian 40, which is overrated, but he has no long speed. His 10-yard split was 1.72 at the combine and 1.65 at his pro day... neither are setting the world ablaze, but perhaps they're not death knells either. Josh Robinson posted a 1.66 10-yard split at the combine.

Where Andrews shined was in the 3-cone and short shuttle at 7.17 and 4.39 respectively at his pro day. Robinson's were 7.24 and 4.58 for comparison.

At 225lbs, Andrews flashed some pretty effective shiftiness... he's probably hard to tackle in phone booth situations. But his jumps and long speed showed a lack of explosion... maybe there's just a certain threshold there where Andrews leaves something to be desired... enough so that his team doesn't want to completely hand over the reins.

here http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/71415846/carlos-hyde-jeremy-hill-antonio-andrews-2014-nfl-draft-best-big-running-backs

And also the bad pass protection technique, he's the best Titans back at pass protection and the only one not called out this summer so I guess he fixed that or since Sankey and Cobb are awful at it, it could be best of a bad bunch.

Fourth round grade not 5th like I thought

Pasting-

3. Antonio Andrews, Western KentuckyProjection: Fourth Round

One of my favorite small school players in this year's draft, I believe Andrews is also one of the most underrated. Unlike most backs from small schools, Andrews does an outstanding job of riding a blocker's hip and sets up defenders to open the hole. While he lacks the elite speed to out-run angles, he has the burst through the hole to get behind the defense and makes a lot of big plays once in space because of his open field running skills. It always surprises me when an upright runner, like Andrews, is able to easily run through hits and break tackles to gain yards after contact as most high runners struggle with this. In order to continue his after-contact production in the NFL, he will need to do a better job of running with good pad level because defenders in the NFL are much better than he faced at Western Kentucky.

Especially rare for a big back, Andrews excels at running routes, looking comfortable running every route a back is asked to. Possessing soft, natural hands, he not only makes tough catches seem routine, but gets the ball tucked away quickly so that he holds onto it when he gets "plastered" right after the catch. If my breakdown stopped here, then Andrews would likely be a high second round pick, but his fumbling issues and below-average pass blocking are major concerns.

He carries the ball with one arm, swinging it away from his body while he runs and does not pull it high and tight when facing contact, which leads to too many fumbles (he had fumbles on back to back carries against Tennessee). Often, fumbling is enough to keep a back off the field, but when he gives a questionable effort and uses bad technique in pass protection, it can be nearly impossible to earn playing time. Andrews will need to improve greatly in these areas if he is going to become the quality starting three down back that I believe he has the talent to be.

COLLEGE:

I do wonder if part of the issue/hesitancy with making Andrews the guy is a lack of core athleticism. He ran a very pedestrian 40, which is overrated, but he has no long speed. His 10-yard split was 1.72 at the combine and 1.65 at his pro day... neither are setting the world ablaze, but perhaps they're not death knells either. Josh Robinson posted a 1.66 10-yard split at the combine.

Where Andrews shined was in the 3-cone and short shuttle at 7.17 and 4.39 respectively at his pro day. Robinson's were 7.24 and 4.58 for comparison.

At 225lbs, Andrews flashed some pretty effective shiftiness... he's probably hard to tackle in phone booth situations. But his jumps and long speed showed a lack of explosion... maybe there's just a certain threshold there where Andrews leaves something to be desired... enough so that his team doesn't want to completely hand over the reins.
Unless you're a big beast like Bettis or Bam Morris or whomever, no breakaway speed will be used against ya. I do think this will be the case with Andrews

Even if you were his biggest fan and projected he steals Sankey's spot and gets 1000 yards this year. Still, next draft they probably grab someone with home-run ability.

It usually haunts backs without it

ETA I wouldn't at all call it a lack of athleticism. He's an excellent athlete. His HS career is pretty well documented or "storied." Starting to see in the pros "he can do it all." It's just lack of top speed.

Rotoworld:

David Cobb - RB - Titans

Titans rookie RB David Cobb (calf) is week to week.

Cobb should miss the rest of the preseason. He isn’t a lock to be ready for Week 1. Cobb is merely a late-round flier.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Aug 29 - 3:36 PM

readimg through this thread, Cobb seemed to be on a decent pathway to some playing time. Is this calf injury severe, or are they just being cautious?

You never like to see the words "week to week" but coaching staff could just be hiding him out of preseason.

VikingFrog said:
readimg through this thread, Cobb seemed to be on a decent pathway to some playing time. Is this calf injury severe, or are they just being cautious?

You never like to see the words "week to week" but coaching staff could just be hiding him out of preseason.
From what I hear, if he plays this week he's all set. If he misses, they will make him inactive week 1.

They are very unhappy with the amount of time their supposed brute RB has missed with a tweaked hammy and sprained ankle.

I would guess he's participated fully in 20-25 of 70 practices since he was drafted.

There are stories of DGB's tweaked hammy and still finding ways to work, study, stay active. There aren't any of Cobb. There might be, but that's curiously absent from articles.

Don't forget the Titans did not take him on the trip to KC, they did take other injured players.

Got him with the last pick in my draft. Definitely worth a flyer and much cheaper than Sankey was last year. Maybe he'll have an opposite result.

VikingFrog said:

From what I hear, if he plays this week he's all set. If he misses, they will make him inactive week 1.They are very unhappy with the amount of time their supposed brute RB has missed with a tweaked hammy and sprained ankle.

I would guess he's participated fully in 20-25 of 70 practices since he was drafted.

There are stories of DGB's tweaked hammy and still finding ways to work, study, stay active. There aren't any of Cobb. There might be, but that's curiously absent from articles.

Don't forget the Titans did not take him on the trip to KC, they did take other injured players.

Was the IR thing expected? I think I knew he was week to week, but this seems like it came out of nowhere.
I would guess they figured he is not beating anyone out gimpy and missing so much time this offseason, he probably needs to study the playbook and watch game film and get up to speed

Rotoworld:

David Cobb's (calf, I.R./return) injury happened on a walkthrough play.

That's a new one. Cobb said his calf "popped." As a result of his walkthrough injury, Cobb is ineligible to play before Week 10. Depending on how Bishop Sankey and Terrance West fare in his absence, Cobb could be returning to a deep reserve role.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Sep 10 - 3:43 PM

Rotoworld:

The Titans plan for RB David Cobb (calf) to return to practice next week.
Cobb is on the Titans' injured reserve-designated for return list. While he can begin practicing next week, Cobb is not eligible to resume playing in games until Week 9 against the Saints. Tennessee's backfield has been the ultimate fantasy quagmire so far, with Bishop Sankey, Dexter McCluster, and Antonio Andrews all rotating. Cobb is the best interior runner on the roster.

Source: John Glennon on Twitter
Oct 12 - 4:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Cobb is on the Titans' injured reserve-designated for return list. While he can begin practicing next week, Cobb is not eligible to resume playing in games until Week 9 against the Saints. Tennessee's backfield has been the ultimate fantasy quagmire so far, with Bishop Sankey, Dexter McCluster, and Antonio Andrews all rotating. Cobb is the best interior runner on the roster.

I heard two weeks and practice for three

Rotoworld:

I heard two weeks and practice for three
The presser notes do not even mention Cobb

Rules seem to be-

He has to sit six weeks

Can't play til he's been out 8 weeks

Which would be he practices week 7, can return week 9 but Whis said practice for 3, so week 10.

What is Cobb's value when he returns? He returned to practice today and could return in a couple of weeks.

My already thin RB group took a major hit when Charles was injured...down to Ingram, West, Starks, and Jennings. I have to figure something out because nobody in my league ever trades...

I wouldn't bank on much. Wisenhunt stated that he is perfectly content running a full blown RBBC. There is no way to tell which RB will lead the team in touches in any given week. Cobb would have to do something pretty special with his touches to gain an edge on the other Tenn RBs.

I wouldn't bank on much. Wisenhunt stated that he is perfectly content running a full blown RBBC. There is no way to tell which RB will lead the team in touches in any given week. Cobb would have to do something pretty special with his touches to gain an edge on the other Tenn RBs.
Does he? I mean, the touches have been so varied and random which suggests to me they don't trust anyone and he did show very well in the preseason. If he proves to be healthy, he could run away with this job IMO and might be a great add for the stretch run.

Does he? I mean, the touches have been so varied and random which suggests to me they don't trust anyone and he did show very well in the preseason. If he proves to be healthy, he could run away with this job IMO and might be a great add for the stretch run.
Tough to figure out what Whiz will do, but it doesn't look like a huge challenge to win the starting job.

It looks like Tennessee can't wait to find somebody else to ride in the backfield. Cobb is worth a shot in Dynasty, especially if Mariota develops.

I posted in other thread... Titans tried out two RBs this week that Cobb returned. A lot of "reading into" that can be done or ignored as doing their homework.

Again, Wisenhunt said quite clearly that he doesn't feel obligated to declare a lead RB and that he will let the situation dictate who is in the backfield on any given play.

Coachspeak and what they'll really do are two separate realities.

The coach isn't going to anoint a rookie. Bottomline if Cobb can come in and break some tackles and rush for 75 yards or more and put the rock in the end zone....He's playing!

And IMHO he's got a good chance to do since no one else on the team seems to be able to do so right now.

He's got young, strong, healthy legs as everyone in the league is starting to wear down over the season. I'm holding.

Users who are viewing this thread