What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

You are going to have one of the highest total number of cases in the country, no doubt. 

I believe South Florida is just starting to get a taste for what is coming. Numbers are rising here and lots of people have been in and out of this State in the last month so tons of folks are carrying it here and just don't know it yet. 
And carrying out of there to other places

It’s not my primary concern. Honestly. It’s just incomprehensible. 

We are talking about total demand collapse. In a few weeks. I mean that’s really ####### hard to come back from. 
We are already seeing reports of mortgage forgiveness, cc similar, starting to kick in unemployment and stimulus checks, etc.  Solutions are being put in place to hopefully avoid a complete fallout.  

I still dont get why this is peoples primary concern, and I still dont get why the richest, bestest nation in the world couldn't find a solution to this.  
Maybe this is just me, after a few drinks this evening, just being a total nay sayer - but I don’t see us as a country doing enough of this social distancing thing to be effective.  At least not effective enough.  This virus spreads, extremely fast.  And from what I’ve seen it may very well take longer than 2 months.  It may be 6.  It could be 12.  And it may not work as all it take is us starting schools back up in August and football games starting back in September for this thing that we thought we’d beaten spiking back up again with tens of thousands of new cases and we have to do it all over again.  I think we’re going to lose hundreds of thousands no matter what we do.

Fully with you on the second point.  

Why? By the time you get to NC, it will be on lock down. Pretty close to that now. I’d be hard pressed to think of a worst time for a cross country trip.
I’m in the process of moving so I’m going either way so I drive and have my vehicle and a little stuff or fly and have two suitcases full. Moving company won’t come pack my place in WA until May. Can’t find another moving company since it’s a company sponsored relocation. Agree it’s a terrible time to move but it has to happen at some point soon so might as well be locked down in the new city. 

Sure - how many is that?  Unemployment?  Can they find a different job?  There is no job they can do?
I dunno. Maybe you should look at any job not deemed "essential" by multiple governors around the country. Those appear to be gone for now. How long will that be? 1 month? 2? 3? 

If you don’t mind me asking, What were your friends  symptoms other than fatigue? Curious how they got tested. I probably missed part of the story but I’m very interested. Whatever it is that I’ve got now has me exhausted...I can barely walk across the room right now but my only other symptom now is headache and mild body aches. 
They both had a cough, she had a fever, his kids had strep recently.  They actually went in to be tested for strep and flu.  He tested positive for strep, she was negative.  Somehow in all of that, they were tested for CV.  I haven’t talked with him in depth about it.  Happy to ask and then PM you if you want to hear more.

I’m in the process of moving so I’m going either way so I drive and have my vehicle and a little stuff or fly and have two suitcases full. Moving company won’t come pack my place in WA until May. Can’t find another moving company since it’s a company sponsored relocation. Agree it’s a terrible time to move but it has to happen at some point soon so might as well be locked down in the new city. 
Ah gotcha, bummer dude. Thought you might have been taking a joyride just to see what it’s like. 

Hate that your introduction to Charlotte is in the middle of this mess, really cool city. I live right over the border in Fort Mill, SC. There is a thread here about Charlotte, look it up. Plenty of posters on the board from the area. Welcome!

They both had a cough, she had a fever, his kids had strep recently.  They actually went in to be tested for strep and flu.  He tested positive for strep, she was negative.  Somehow in all of that, they were tested for CV.  I haven’t talked with him in depth about it.  Happy to ask and then PM you if you want to hear more.
Thank you for the information. I’m sure the cough and fever made a big difference. I have neither thankfully. 🤝

Ah gotcha, bummer dude. Thought you might have been taking a joyride just to see what it’s like. 

Hate that your introduction to Charlotte is in the middle of this mess, really cool city. I live right over the border in Fort Mill, SC. There is a thread here about Charlotte, look it up. Plenty of posters on the board from the area. Welcome!
I’m actually going to Raleigh

We are already seeing reports of mortgage forgiveness, cc similar, starting to kick in unemployment and stimulus checks, etc.  Solutions are being put in place to hopefully avoid a complete fallout.  
This is promising. But there’s a big difference between 1 month of expense relief and 2-3 months of little transfer of funds. 

Sure - how many is that?  Unemployment?  Can they find a different job?  There is no job they can do?
Wow.  For one, other than some stocking positions at Amazon or Costco, who the heck is hiring in any industry? And these folks are in an industry where no other jobs will be available for months, and many lost forever (i.e. restaurants that go under).

Sorry GB, but you seem terrible removed from the realities of a huge part of not just our economy, but our society.  Hospitality workers account for 15 Million jobs.  That's 10% of the TOTAL workforce.

The hospitality industry also has a large portion of their workforce that lives week to week, with little savings and high debt.  Including families with children. Many work multiple jobs just to pay those bills, week to week. Very few have health insurance. And what they do bring in salary wise is spent on housing and getting to/from work far more than it should be. There's very little, if anything, left. Even for many working hard as well.

With that as backdrop, where can they get jobs now? Their skills and experience, even those who are in executive positions, revolves around one industry. Are they going to become an architect (not that new buildings are going to suddenly prop up, likely the opposite)? A management consultant? A registered nurse in the next couple months?

Our entire system is facing catastrophic and cataclysmic realities.  To assume that most of these employees can "find another job" seems to be ignoring one very big reality, with any number of repercussions.

Doesn't do small business owners any good.  Not eligible for unemployment.  Guess they can all go work for a grocery or amazon while their business is closed and catch it there.

Wow.  For one, other than some stocking positions at Amazon or Costco, who the heck is hiring in any industry? And these folks are in an industry where no other jobs will be available for months, and many lost forever (i.e. restaurants that go under).

Sorry GB, but you seem terrible removed from the realities of a huge part of not just our economy, but our society.  Hospitality workers account for 15 Million jobs.  That's 10% of the TOTAL workforce.

The hospitality industry also has a large portion of their workforce that lives week to week, with little savings and high debt.  Including families with children. Many work multiple jobs just to pay those bills, week to week. Very few have health insurance. And what they do bring in salary wise is spent on housing and getting to/from work far more than it should be. There's very little, if anything, left. Even for many working hard as well.

With that as backdrop, where can they get jobs now? Their skills and experience, even those who are in executive positions, revolves around one industry. Are they going to become an architect (not that new buildings are going to suddenly prop up, likely the opposite)? A management consultant? A registered nurse in the next couple months?

Our entire system is facing catastrophic and cataclysmic realities.  To assume that most of these employees can "find another job" seems to be ignoring one very big reality, with any number of repercussions.
They can all go work in a grocery or Amazon warehouse and catch the virus there.

This whole shelter in place doesn't work unless every person still working is wearing full protective gear.

The drive from WA to NC during this time...to the extent that people are still on the highways, I would think that 3-4 day trip would be quite surreal.  Sleep in your car.

Seems like a better option to staying home for months would be to get body suit and respirator makers to start cranking out protective gear people can wear and live their lives while being protected. The lack of proper protective gear in the West seems to be a problem.

Also, we’ve all seen those videos of troops in China in full body suits and masks fumigating cities. Is there a reason that’s not going on here? If this is a war against the virus we need to go on offense at some point. 

Wow, the story of the family who lost 4 members on CNN now. One sibling talking about how it all started. Still some family members are in ICU on life support with still with no test results. On Cuomo. 😥

Doesn't do small business owners any good.  Not eligible for unemployment.  Guess they can all go work for a grocery or amazon while their business is closed and catch it there.
Owning a small business it’s like having a second family budget that you have to worry about. Imagine losing your job in your actual family and then having to close in your “second family.”  We could go under really quickly.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/spl/pennsylvania-coronavirus-list-life-sustaining-businesses-shutdown-order-20200319.html

The more I read this, the more pissed I get.  By the time you get through all the exceptions on the list, you're only eliminating 50% of the workers from going to work.  If you have this many people interacting and then going home to their family, it's getting spread around.  Basically you're accomplishing nothing, but your crushing 50% of the workforce economically. 

Oklahoma is down to 100 kits.  I know of at least four people with several symptoms who have been told that they will not be tested.

Yet actors/actresses and NBA players are getting tested with no symptoms.

Wtf
Love it when these same famous people get on their soapboxes and tell the rest of us how we should behave too.  

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/spl/pennsylvania-coronavirus-list-life-sustaining-businesses-shutdown-order-20200319.html

The more I read this, the more pissed I get.  By the time you get through all the exceptions on the list, you're only eliminating 50% of the workers from going to work.  If you have this many people interacting and then going home to their family, it's getting spread around.  Basically you're accomplishing nothing, but your crushing 50% of the workforce economically. 
There's a whole lot of "yes" on that list that isn't required to shut down.

I suspect that places like CA, WA and NY will be put on stricter lockdown at some point, especially CA since Newsom is all for going all out asap, and we're now the first state to be on shelter in place.

I'm going to try social distance myself from this thread and news for a bit. Stay healthy everyone. DVR and ignorance time.
This is smart. I have been a nervous mess thinking about “well this was my last exterior contact with anything. Then I adjust my 5 days out (even though I know it could be longer.)

We have a ton of blu rays and DVDs downstairs like 800. My 15 year old daughter went down and grabbed 12 of them after dinner and asked my wife and I, “So what are we going to watch?”

it was exactly what we needed to do. Turn phones off and just watch a crappy horror movie. 

Former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley leaves Boeing board, opposing federal aid

“I cannot support a move to lean on the federal government for a stimulus or bailout that prioritizes our company over others and relies on taxpayers to guarantee our financial position,” Haley said in a letter to the company’s management released by Boeing on Thursday.

Aren't there lots of rumors that she may replace Pence on the next ticket? If so she's building her resume a bit here. Some sleight of hand to be able to point to this, attempting to balance or obscure that she was on this same board as they used all their tax cut money and profits to buy back their own stock and enrich themselves. 

Probably not the thread for this. But as the public turns on these airlines for their unethical practices, not surprising to see someone who hopes to have a political future bail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Username checks out.

I'd recommend looking for one of these for your drive.

Oklahoma is down to 100 kits.  I know of at least four people with several symptoms who have been told that they will not be tested.

Yet actors/actresses and NBA players are getting tested with no symptoms.

Wtf
The far bigger WTF is 100 kits.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Instacart and Ubereats drivers too. It’s 5 days for Instacart to get here at the moment. 
Due to unfortunate life events I've been door dashing lately. I went out today, and it was pretty busy. Chipotle is only letting one customer inside at a time.  I had six deliveries today and five were Chipotle. They were all to businesses that are still open. Decided today that it's super not worth it so I'm done. One time I delivered to a topless guy. That's my best story. Not sad to shut it down. 

Users who are viewing this thread