What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Yeah, I remember seeing a map showing the correlation between parts of the world with high rates of Malaria which meant high rates of chloroquine usage. And those parts of the world are seeing a virtual absence of CV19.

Found it...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/
Good post. The chloroquine discussion in here last night was very informative and sure enough it was the major focus of today’s FDA led press conference.

Having said that, yes the need for clinical trials and following the proper testing protocols, etc. is completely granted and understood. But there is something to this that shouldn’t be underestimated or simply lost in the noise. 

Information I just received is that 10-day lockdown soon to be implemented nationwide...mandated by Fed and enforced by National Guard.  Will only be allowed to leave during scheduled times to grocery store.
Interesting.

My best friend just called and he said he saw a skywriting plane spell out that we were going on an 8 week shut down, everything except grocery stores, skee-ball arcades, and 24-hour yarn stores.

Anyone not think traveling domestically will come to a hault next? Just essential businesses and mail/package/cargo flights only?

Lack of testing would be my guess
It certainly could be, but I figured they have so many people in their country that at least one significant outbreak would have been apparent and reported by now.  Statistically speaking, seems almost impossible for whatever reason.

Just got a robo-call from our borough. All non-essential businesses closed starting tomorrow at 8pm. Bars and restaurants are open for take-out only and must close at 8pm. Bergen County, NJ. 
An update on my town. We are 8 miles from NYC, population of about 28,000. We have 11 known cases, 5 are hospitalized, and one died earlier today. He was 52, not sure of his overall heath. I’m thinking that may be what prompted the town to act and shut things down. 

I‘ve been pretty focused so far during all this, but this is getting real now. The man who died lived on the street parallel to ours and I am the mailman in the neighborhood. They haven’t released a name, and I have a few men in their 50’s on that street, so I’m not sure if I’ve been in contact with him recently. I’ve been wearing latex gloves out there for the past week or so, and have been practicing social distancing as best as possible. Wiping my scanner, steering wheel, door handles, etc. a few times daily with Lysol wipes. I’m 42, in decent shape and health. I feel fine and haven’t had any symptoms, but I’m pretty nervous about all of this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

My best friend just called and he said he saw a skywriting plane spell out that we were going on an 8 week shut down, everything except grocery stores, skee-ball arcades, and 24-hour yarn stores.
What a relief.  I didn't want to fall behind on my afghan production.

“The following are considered “life-sustaining” businesses and will stay open, according to WPXI in Pittsburgh:

Grocery stores

Pharmacies

Gas stations

Beer distributors

Transit and transportation systems

Taxi services”

🍺🍺🍺
As dumb as it looks to see Beer Distributors on there, my sister reminded me tonight about all the alcoholics out there who will be getting increasingly anxious if they can't get their stuff, so that may be at least part of why they're staying open.

Same logic will likely apply to junkies... there's reason to think their normal "supply chains" may be disrupted as well, potentially leading to more break-ins looking for prescription drugs.

A nearly endless chain of downstream effects to what's going on right now.

An update on my town. We are 8 miles from NYC, population of about 28,000. We have 8 known cases, 5 are hospitalized, and one died earlier today. He was 52, not sure of his overall heath. I’m thinking that may be what prompted the town to act and shut things down. 

I‘ve been pretty focused so far during all this, but this is getting real now. The man who died lived on the street parallel to ours and I am the mailman in the neighborhood. They haven’t released a name, and I have a few men in their 50’s on that street, so I’m not sure if I’ve been in contact with him recently. I’ve been wearing latex gloves out there for the past week or so, and have been practicing social distancing as best as possible. Wiping my scanner, steering wheel, door handles, etc. a few times daily with Lysol wipes. I’m 42, in decent shape and health. I feel fine and haven’t had any symptoms, but I’m pretty nervous about all of this. 
Thank you for providing this essential service. Please know it is hugely appreciated.

SF

Need to get hotels for healthcare workers to go to so won't possibly spread it at hime.

Newsom figures 20% will need hospitalisation so CA needs 20k ICU set up beds.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/14 - 75,916 reported cases - 2,640 dead - USA 2,995 cases - 60 dead

3/15 - 88,508 reported cases - 3,302 dead - USA 3,667 cases - 68 dead

3/16 - 101,557 reported cases - 3,931 dead - USA 4,663 cases - 86 dead

3/17 - 117,300 reported cases - 4,739 dead - USA 6,439 cases - 109 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

As dumb as it looks to see Beer Distributors on there, my sister reminded me tonight about all the alcoholics out there who will be getting increasingly anxious if they can't get their stuff, so that may be at least part of why they're staying open.

Same logic will likely apply to junkies... there's reason to think their normal "supply chains" may be disrupted as well, potentially leading to more break-ins looking for prescription drugs.

A nearly endless chain of downstream effects to what's going on right now.
Something I would have never thought of - but my college roommate is dating an officer in Richmond, VA.  She said that domestic calls and runaway kids are through the roof.  I asked why, what’s the connection?  If you’re stuck in house with your abuser, what do you do?

I think the idea is that most people, even if they lost their job unexpectedly, weren’t also expecting to be unable to go quickly find another job. Like right now. It’s different than just losing a job on Tuesday and then interviewing on Wednesday.
I challenge that assertion

Fauci said we are just starting to go up the curve. If we do everything right, we may be through this in a few weeks. He was shown skyping with Zuckerberg answering questions today.
That’s a moronic statement by Fauci in a country where we don’t know how many people are infected.

“The following are considered “life-sustaining” businesses and will stay open, according to WPXI in Pittsburgh:

Grocery stores

Pharmacies

Gas stations

Beer distributors

Transit and transportation systems

Taxi services”

🍺🍺🍺
Yeah, the actual list is very long of places that can stay open. And it’s confusing imo
LOL...Looks like PA protected there big industries quiet nicely.  Wouldn't surprise me if the donor lists rival what was deemed life sustaining.

Wow that's really eye opening
Or those are places that aren’t testing.  

Or infected travelers from Wuhan didn’t get to those countries until 2-3 weeks after they arrived in the USA/Italy/Europe etc.

2-3 weeks is a huge difference in a world where almost all countries became aware of this as a huge problem in a short period.  If you start doing mass quarantines when you only have 200 cases, you’re much better off than doing mass quarantines when you already have 5,000.

Every time I go out in Portland it seems like business as usual, except all the restaurants and bars being closed (open for carry out / delivery).

I’m fully stocked up on food, but am also trying to support some of the local business and food carts.  Went out to snatch this for dinner..no way I could pass on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97vvftB_2u/?igshid=f1ewb8ifmae4
WTF is that?  Looks like somebody spilled the fettuccine in a grill and scooped it out onto a plate. 

Or those are places that aren’t testing.  

Or infected travelers from Wuhan didn’t get to those countries until 2-3 weeks after they arrived in the USA/Italy/Europe etc.

2-3 weeks is a huge difference in a world where almost all countries became aware of this as a huge problem in a short period.  If you start doing mass quarantines when you only have 200 cases, you’re much better off than doing mass quarantines when you already have 5,000.
Well I also read that South Korea had a lot of success using it to treat patients

It's directed in broad terms across the Chinese Govt and NYTimes, many folks share that view point, it wasn't meant to be offensive and even if you were offended it certainly doesn't make your statement correct. It's not a "problem" to not trust the Communist Chinese or the hard left agenda driven NYTimes. Most Americans don't trust Communists. 
Respectfully, get out of here with that crap.

Every time I go out in Portland it seems like business as usual, except all the restaurants and bars being closed (open for carry out / delivery).

I’m fully stocked up on food, but am also trying to support some of the local business and food carts.  Went out to snatch this for dinner..no way I could pass on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97vvftB_2u/?igshid=f1ewb8ifmae4
WTF is that?  Looks like somebody spilled the fettuccine in a grill and scooped it out onto a plate.
Olive Garden 

Supply chains will remain functioning as long as possible. We were told by some of our customers this week (medical equipment manufacturers/distributors) to expect an uptick in business. We are being told to stay home if we feel sick, however we will still need to be online to route shipments of lab/evaluation equipment to key areas if necessary. Otherwise business as usual. In the meantime, our line-hauls and delivery agents are operating on a local level and will continue to deliver as defined by local governments. 

Side note, anyone hiring?

Respectfully, get out of here with that crap.
Any publication touting a Communist government over its own, and it was only 1 remark, not a diatribe. 

"Get out of here" 

Did you listen to Cumo today in New York? I thought he was brilliant and hit the nail on the head with his comment about Panic and Fear being as deadly as the virus so respectfully, relax my friend. 

New York State has 5367 confirmed cases, but 3615 are from New York City alone. That means New York City alone has nearly 3 times as many as the 2nd highest state (Washington  - 1376).

If a week from now they aren't worse than Italy, I will be surprised. 
NY is so screwed. And it’s not just the 5 boroughs that are technically NYC, but also all the suburbs where the commuters live. 

NY is so screwed. And it’s not just the 5 boroughs that are technically NYC, but also all the suburbs where the commuters live. 
You are going to have one of the highest total number of cases in the country, no doubt. 

I believe South Florida is just starting to get a taste for what is coming. Numbers are rising here and lots of people have been in and out of this State in the last month so tons of folks are carrying it here and just don't know it yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread