What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (1 Viewer)

I have a question for Raven fans about the last Browns TD to Elijiah Moore.
It bothers me.
To me, it 'seemed' like the Raven DB had a perfect line on Moore but just plain-ole-quit. It looked like he did a lame hip check and didn't try to make a tackle.
That REALLY bothers me.
I just have to ask if any Raven fan saw the same thing?

I have a question for Raven fans about the last Browns TD to Elijiah Moore.
It bothers me.
To me, it 'seemed' like the Raven DB had a perfect line on Moore but just plain-ole-quit. It looked like he did a lame hip check and didn't try to make a tackle.
That REALLY bothers me.
I just have to ask if any Raven fan saw the same thing?
Do you have a video clip? I don't recall the exact item you're asking about.

OK, NOW after seeing it and where the GL is, I can see Moore was crossing the GL as the first DB 'let-up' on hitting him.
I saw the game in a LOUD bar and didn't get multiple views. The Raven logo threw me since it has a solid white line at the bottom so I guess I must have thought Moore was five yards from the GL.
It looked like a guy quitting on a big play that irked me but Moore was crossing the GL so I can't fault him for not taking a cheap shot.

Baltimore's next 5 games: Rams, @ Jags, @ 49ers, Phins, Steelers. They are gonna have to earn a good record with that stretch.

The Ravens have 15 players with at least .5 sacks and lead the NFL in total sacks, yet they blitz the least of any team. OLB Bowser hasn't played at all and Edge Ojabo's out for the year, but they still get tons of pressure. DT Madabiuke leads the team in sacks with 10 and is getting ready to be a very rich young man. I yawned when they signed Jadaveon Clowney (I wanted Justin Houston back), but he has been stellar all year. They signed Van Noy off of his sofa after the season started and I think he has 5 or 6 sacks.

It may not be this offseason, but pretty soon Baltimore's DC MacDonald is going to start getting HC offers.

I'm not sure how to handicap tomorrow's game vs L.A. The Rams are on a roll and the Ravens can be a bit schizo. The weather is going to be warm, but rainy & windy. That 7.5 point spread feels high to me, but I thought the spreads against Seattle & Detroit were high, too. I think the Ravens win, but I wouldn't bet much on it.

Baltimore's next 5 games: Rams, @ Jags, @ 49ers, Phins, Steelers. They are gonna have to earn a good record with that stretch.

The Ravens have 15 players with at least .5 sacks and lead the NFL in total sacks, yet they blitz the least of any team. OLB Bowser hasn't played at all and Edge Ojabo's out for the year, but they still get tons of pressure. DT Madabiuke leads the team in sacks with 10 and is getting ready to be a very rich young man. I yawned when they signed Jadaveon Clowney (I wanted Justin Houston back), but he has been stellar all year. They signed Van Noy off of his sofa after the season started and I think he has 5 or 6 sacks.

It may not be this offseason, but pretty soon Baltimore's DC MacDonald is going to start getting HC offers.

I'm not sure how to handicap tomorrow's game vs L.A. The Rams are on a roll and the Ravens can be a bit schizo. The weather is going to be warm, but rainy & windy. That 7.5 point spread feels high to me, but I thought the spreads against Seattle & Detroit were high, too. I think the Ravens win, but I wouldn't bet much on it.
The defense has been so much fun to watch this year. Usually I think you’re pretty happy with a couple guys making big steps year to year. This year it feels like almost every young player took a massive leap- Stephens (didn’t see that one coming at all), Hamilton, Madabuike, Stone, Queen continued his great play next to Roquan, even Oweh has graded out strongly. Then combine those jumps with the 2 vet edge rushers you mentioned playing great ball as well as older returnees like Pierce and Marlon (when on the field) playing well and you have a defense with several playmakers at every level. Very fun. The weather today gives me pause but I think it’s a sloppy win I’ll say 23-9. If the weather wasn’t a factor I think coming off the bye we’d blitz them like we did the Lions and Seahawks.

The defense has been so much fun to watch this year. Usually I think you’re pretty happy with a couple guys making big steps year to year. This year it feels like almost every young player took a massive leap- Stephens (didn’t see that one coming at all), Hamilton, Madabuike, Stone, Queen continued his great play next to Roquan, even Oweh has graded out strongly. Then combine those jumps with the 2 vet edge rushers you mentioned playing great ball as well as older returnees like Pierce and Marlon (when on the field) playing well and you have a defense with several playmakers at every level. Very fun. The weather today gives me pause but I think it’s a sloppy win I’ll say 23-9. If the weather wasn’t a factor I think coming off the bye we’d blitz them like we did the Lions and Seahawks.
Yeah, Stephens really opened my eyes this year. I had kind of slotted him as a serviceable backup, but the light-bulb turned on and he's been their best CB.

The Ravens have a bunch of impending FAs on D this off-season: Madabiuke, Queen, Clowney, Washington, and others. They can't sign them all, but they've been dancing that dance for many years. I'd like to see Travis Jones ramp it up some.

You're more optimistic than I am about today's game. Ball security is going to be a big deal and Baltimore hasn't been a world-beater in that category this season.

I'm about 100 miles WSW of town and it's raining pretty good here. No wind yet, though.

Yeah, Stephens really opened my eyes this year. I had kind of slotted him as a serviceable backup, but the light-bulb turned on and he's been their best CB.

The Ravens have a bunch of impending FAs on D this off-season: Madabiuke, Queen, Clowney, Washington, and others. They can't sign them all, but they've been dancing that dance for many years. I'd like to see Travis Jones ramp it up some.

You're more optimistic than I am about today's game. Ball security is going to be a big deal and Baltimore hasn't been a world-beater in that category this season.

I'm about 100 miles WSW of town and it's raining pretty good here. No wind yet, though.
Wind shouldn’t be an issue today. Just a lot of rain. I think we’re rested and physical and should be able to make it really difficult on their offense. Grind it out on the ground. Lamar owner will be angry.

I’ve assumed for awhile that Queen will be gone. Hope we’re the ones to make Madabuike a rich man. We’ll probably let Clowney walk if he’s got multi year interest and try to add a couple get edge rushers on similar 1 year deals like we did with Houston, Clowney, Van Noy the past couple years. I believe we extended Washignton in august.

Wind shouldn’t be an issue today. Just a lot of rain. I think we’re rested and physical and should be able to make it really difficult on their offense. Grind it out on the ground. Lamar owner will be angry.

I’ve assumed for awhile that Queen will be gone. Hope we’re the ones to make Madabuike a rich man. We’ll probably let Clowney walk if he’s got multi year interest and try to add a couple get edge rushers on similar 1 year deals like we did with Houston, Clowney, Van Noy the past couple years. I believe we extended Washignton in august.
Thanks for the correction on Washington.

Zeitler's a FA, too - right?

Thanks for the correction on Washington.

Zeitler's a FA, too - right?
I believe that’s correct. Great game prediction by me!

I thought Lamar Jackson was awesome yesterday. His completion % wasn't great. but I counted 4 passes right in his receiver's hands that were dropped. To be fair, OBJ bailed Jackson out at least once on a poor throw. What impressed me about his play most was his pocket presence - he moved around in that little 2 yard box really well to buy his receivers time. Plus, that TD pass to Flowers was perfect.

Speaking of OBJ, I was reticent about his signing. But he has made big play after big play over the last month.

The defense didn't have its best day, but the Rams came in on a heater and Stafford was brilliant yesterday.

I'm happy Wallace got his moment is the sun (well, rain). Dude has just never been able to crack himself into much playing time on offense. But he kept his spot by working hard and playing ST (Justice Hill has stayed around in the same manner).

@Jax, @SF, Miami, Stillers

Key to Lamar is the other team's offense. If the opposition can score, Jackson has to keep his foot on the gas.

Think there's a decent chance this can continue.

Week 15: @Jax. Hopefully Lawrence is even healthier next week. JAX secondary made Flacco look like Mahommes yesterday.
Week 16: @SF. Don't think I'm that scared of this matchup. SF has suffered some injuries and it's easier to pass on them vs. run.
Week 17: Miami. Lord this game could break scoring systems.

Ravens are 7-1 in their last 8 games, winning by an average score of 32-18. They've scored 30+ in six of those games. I'll go with a prediction of them winning 31-20 on Sunday Night.

Ever since the start of the 2020 season, a lot of us here have felt like the Ravens' good starts were a house of cards, likely to fall down at any minute - and we've mostly been right! But this year feels like their best football might still be ahead of them (and they could very reasonably be 12-1). Ronnie Stanley getting healthy and back to Pro Bowl form would be huge for this team - he looked a lot better vs the Rams, coming off the Bye and also having Mekari rotate in for a series or two each half. Harbs said they wanted to help keep him fresh for the 4th quarter vs the Rams and it seemed to help!

The Rams really impressed me, I'm on their bandwagon big time now - and I thought the Ravens' defense did very well vs them in the second half after getting punched in the nose early on. Need to toughen up that run D a little, but I am not convinced there are many teams out there that will be able to run the ball for enough points to outscore Baltimore.

Playoff picture is interesting. Ravens would be the #1 seed if they go 3-1 and one of those wins is vs Miami. I see them doing it, losing at SF on Christmas Night. The Steelers could be coming into Baltimore in Week 18 with the #1 seed on the line for the Ravens. On the other hand, if they go 2-2 and Flacco's Browns sweep their final 4 games, Browns would win the AFC North and the Ravens would be the #5 seed.

Fun season so far

also having Mekari rotate in for a series or two each half.
Mekari has also been spelling 900 year-old Morgan Moses at RT. It's almost impossible to overstate how important Mekari is to Baltimore. He can play all 5 OL positions (& play them well).

I'm feeling a Keaton Mitchell game coming Sunday night.

Losing Keaton Mitchell really really really hurts this team. Ravens were finally doing what we've been wanting for years, which is spreading defenses out with 3 WRs and then running the ball when they get a light box. Justice Hill has the ability to do a lot of what Mitchell does, but he is not as fast and fumbles way too much.

Oh well, last night was exactly the kind of win the Ravens needed. Just grind an inferior opponent into the turf. Ronnie Stanley still looks terrible, he is obviously hampered by injury and Moses doesn't look much better. Lamar was scrambling for his life in the pocket, some of the plays he made vs immediate pressure - dodging the pass rusher, resetting and connecting downfield - were amazing.

Defense got roasted one time, after Marcus Williams got hurt and someone - probably Geno Stone - totally blew a coverage. Other than that, I thought they played extremely well. Jags gameplan was to get the ball out immediately to negate the pass rush, but they couldn't sustain drives with all that stuff. Jags RBs had only 31 yards rushing, which was nice since the Ravens run D had been getting gashed a little more than usual lately. Madubuike is playing so great. I think they will figure out a way to re-sign him but we'll see. That will mean losing Patrick Queen, but oh well. He's turned into a very good player but that pretty much coincided with Roquan's arrival, so maybe they can plug someone else in next to him without much drop-off (like Ed Hartwell and Bart Scott and other old-time ILBs used to feast when playing next to Ray). I can't believe how good Kyle Hamilton has gotten so fast. Teams are going to have to start game planning around him - starting with eliminating WR screens to whatever side of the field he's on.

I'm not kidding when I say they should not even worry about trying to win on Christmas Night vs SF. Give Stanley, and Marcus Williams, and anyone else who's even a little banged up the night off. Win or lose, the New Year's Eve game vs Miami will probably decide the #1 seed. If the Ravens go 2-1, with 1 of those wins vs Miami, they're the #1. I think Monday Night is going to be a very tough spot, then the team gets home at 6 am Tuesday morning and has to start getting ready for the Dolphins.

This team has now led at the 2:00 warning in all 14 games - pretty extraordinary. I think they go 2-1 (winning the last 2 vs Miami and Pittsburgh) to take the #1 seed. If they go 1-2, I think KC takes the #1, because the Dolphins aren't going 3-0 vs Dallas, Baltimore, and Buffalo. In fact, I think they might go 0-3. If that happens and Buffalo goes 3-0 (vs. Chargers, Patriots and Dolphins) then Buffalo is AFC East champion and Miami has a very good shot at missing the playoffs at 10-7.

One other thing - Lamar's career record as a starting QB is 56-19. 56 wins puts him in a 6-way tie for 93rd on the all-time NFL QB career win list, along with Jake Delhomme, Trent Green, Bobby Hebert, Dan Pastorini and Mike Plum (didn't know that name, he played for the Browns and Lions in the late 50s and early 60s). The win last night improved Lamar's career winning percentage to .747, moving him past Roger Staubach into 5th place among QBs in the top 100 for wins. The Only 4 QBs ahead of him are Otto Graham (.814), Daryle Lamonica (.801 - wow), Mahomes (.785) and Brady (.754).

Related: Joe Flacco won his 101st game yesterday, putting him into a tie at #18 all-time with Jim Kelly, and 1 win behind Warren Moon. The only QBs with more career wins than Flacco that aren't in the Hall of Fame are the ones who aren't eligible yet (Russell Wilson, 115 wins), Eli Manning (117), Matt Ryan (124), Philip Rivers (134), Rodgers (148), Big Ben (165), Brees (172) and Brady (251). Rivers will obviously make it, and I suppose Ryan has a good chance - but neither of those 2 is a Super Bowl MVP.

In fact, I think they might go 0-3. If that happens and Buffalo goes 3-0 (vs. Chargers, Patriots and Dolphins) then Buffalo is AFC East champion and Miami has a very good shot at missing the playoffs at 10-7.
Per the NYT playoff calculator, if Miami loses its next 3 games, they still have a 91% chance to make the playoffs. It's all about protecting Tua, since he's the #1 or 2 QB with a clean pocket.

Chances to make the SB: SF-42%, BAL-21%, KC-8%, DAL-7%, BUF-6%, MIA-5%, DET-4%.

That was definitely one of the biggest regular season wins of the Harbaugh era, maybe the entire franchise history. Mike MacDonald is a defensive mastermind, I love the pressure they get with never committing more than 5 pass rushers and often only 4. The discipline of the LBs and DBs in coverage is outstanding - only bust was last week vs Jacksonville when Marcus Williams had to leave the game and someone (I think Geno Stone) blew an assignment.

Watch Purdy's final INT (the one by Queen), Travis Jones lines up at the bottom of the screen as a D End and absolutely caves in the Right Tackle, smashing his way into Purdy and causing the errant throw. And the 2nd Kyle Hamilton INT, where he gets up after being stomped into the turf like a Loony Toon is unbelievable.

Wild to think that they're playing like this and everyone feels like the offense still isn't quite clicking on all cylinders. But with that D and special teams, if they don't turn it over, they don't get beat. I wonder how Andrews is doing. His absence has let Likely flourish - and now I get excited to think about what it would be like to have them both on the field at the same time.

The bad news for Ravens fans is that I'm feeling optimistic about Sunday vs Miami - which means the Ravens are in trouble because I'm usually very wrong in my predictions

I'm usually very wrong in my predictions
:lol:

Same here. I thought they were gonna get smoked last night.

Have you heard anything about how badly Hamilton, Zeitler, & Mekari are hurt?

"He's too slow" and "Never draft a Safety in the 1st round". Oh, and "They wasted a 1st rounder on a Center". And - oops - "Don't spend on ILBs".

I'm shocked the NFL didn't flex Dolphins/Ravens to Sunday night.

Miami scares the hell out of me. I've seen what Tua & Hill have done to Baltimore before.

For whatever it's worth this far ahead, the long-range forecast is for sunny & in the 40s at game time.

Good game. Miami's a good team - just turned into one of those snowball games on them.

I read that Jackson is tied (w/Dan Marino) for 2nd-most 5 or more passing TD games by a QB before turning 27 years old (Mahomes is 1st). Not bad for a running back.

I know they can't do it, but I wish they could demote every halfway important contributor to the practice squad next week.

I had to go looking for this awesome thread on the Ravens. I love the insider information provided by all, particularly @The_Man and @Uruk-Hai. Followed here several years, but not yet this season. For some reason, the Ravens have been a little under the radar and even you guys have been quiet. Definitely a really fun team to watch play, so am greatly looking forward to the playoffs.
Best of luck to you guys. at this point, I would love to see a rematch between y'all and the Lions, with y'all and the 49ers being second choice.

I had to go looking for this awesome thread on the Ravens. I love the insider information provided by all, particularly @The_Man and @Uruk-Hai. Followed here several years, but not yet this season. For some reason, the Ravens have been a little under the radar and even you guys have been quiet. Definitely a really fun team to watch play, so am greatly looking forward to the playoffs.
Best of luck to you guys. at this point, I would love to see a rematch between y'all and the Lions, with y'all and the 49ers being second choice.
We keep it pretty quiet all the time, and U-H and I are natural pessimists always waiting for the roof to cave in, so we have even less to talk about than usual right now (plus we are jinx-phobic)

The Ravens are rated as the #3 DVOA team in history through 16 games (after 07 Patriots and 91 Washington). They have led all 16 games at the 2:00 warning of the 4th Quarter, something done previously only by 72 Miami and 07 Patriots. Since their Week 5 meltdown at Pittsburgh dropped them to 3-2, they've gone 10-1 and outscored opponents by an average score of 33-17 with at least 6 of those games vs playoff teams)

And all of it will mean nothing if they don't reach the Super Bowl. In fact, all the hype for Lamar will immediately turn to criticism about his playoff record if they don't make it. That's a lot of pressure but I think the experience of 2019 when they were in the same situation will help a lot. While I worry about how they will navigate the long layoff, this team absolutely needs a break to heal up. I can't believe what they did to Miami with their Top 3 DBs (starting CBs Humphrey and Stephens, plus all-Pro Safety Kyle Hamilton) out of the game. And Left Tackle Ronnie Stanley has struggled mightily to play through injuries all year but is finally looking more like himself and now has almost 3 weeks to get right.

Kind of wild that the most likely scenario has Flacco and the Browns coming into Baltimore for the Divisional Round. But I'll predict that match-up doesn't happen until the AFC Championship. I also think the Ravens know better than anyone how to limit Flacco (cover the TE, keep him in the pocket on those bootlegs, and make him complete 13-play drives into tight zone coverage all the way down the field) and that he'll have a long day if he does face this D in the playoffs, but that's still a few weeks away

Beating SF on the road on Monday Night, then turning around (after getting home at 7 am Tuesday) 6 days later and destroying Miami was a very memorable week. Great to see Justice Hill have his best game, and Isaiah Likely become a Mark Andrews clone when they most needed it. Bateman also had a big game and he's a guy that really can make a huge difference if he just cuts loose, stops overthinking, and starts making plays

Baltimore is the class of the AFC and entire NFL at this time. They are coming together and getting healthy on the cusp of the playoffs. They get to sit a week and get even more healthy and get extra time to game plan for a home game.
I have no idea how the playoff field will settle but at this time it looks like the following:
First round
Baltimore - BYE
Miami home - Indianapolis
Have to think Miami would take this since they are 7-1 at home.
KC home - Buffalo
Buffalo is coming on strong down the stretch and 'should' be able to get a road victory.
Jacksonville home - Cleveland
Cleveland took the Jags in Cleveland without Trevor Lawrence. The Browns have been winning on a wing and a prayer and it makes no sense, but they can rest players this Sunday and get a few back 'relatively' healthy for a road playoff game.
Of all of the home AFC projected playoff teams, Jacksonville has a home losing record so I think the Browns 'can' pull another rabbit out and win this game.

Second round
Baltimore home - Buffalo
Buffalo is tough, and Lamar has a 1-3 playoff monkey on his back. It 'could' come down to kickers so Baltimore wins by a FG.
Miami home - Cleveland
I just don't see two road playoff wins by any team, so Miami takes this one.

AFC Championship game
Baltimore home - Miami
Baltimore walks away in an easy win to the SB.

SB
Baltimore - SF
I can't see Purdy hoisting the Lombardi, I see Lamar with Ravens doing confetti snow angels.

Which Ravens RB is getting the most carries against the Steelers in the meaningless (for the Ravens) week 18 contest? Asking for DFS purposes.

Which Ravens RB is getting the most carries against the Steelers in the meaningless (for the Ravens) week 18 contest? Asking for DFS purposes.
Mel Gordon would be my guess. I think Edwards & Hill will both get some early on, but both will slowly fade away as the game goes on.

While it always stings to lose to the Steelers, I thought that Saturday result was just about a best case scenario, especially if Geno Stone isn't hurt

The 2019 won its meaningless final game vs Pittsburgh and I think that contributed to a team that got a little self-satisfied during the Bye. I think this team will be hungry, and losing to the hated rivals helps keep that edge. I also think the Steelers beat the Bills and come back to Baltimore in 2 weeks, where they lose by 20 to a fresh and angry Ravens team. But we'll see.

The other good thing out of the Saturday loss was Marcus Williams making a terrible play that cost them the game. I think he's the weak link on D and that teachable moment will keep him from making similar mistakes in the playoffs. We don't need Marcus to make the game-winning play, we just need to avoid him making the game-losing one.

My half-serious playoff prediction, Steelers beat Bills and come to Baltimore, followed by the Browns who win at Houston and KC.

Then the Ravens lose in the Super Bowl to San Francisco.

One other thing, the Ravens set an all-time NFL record by winning 10 games vs teams that finished the season with a winning record. The old record was 8 by the 2021 Titans.

The Ravens also set a record by playing 14 games in a season vs winning teams - Chargers, Titans and Cardinals were their only games vs losing teams. They went 10-4 vs winning teams, losing 2x to Pittsburgh, and to Indy and Cleveland.

These records were helped by the 17-game season, obviously - Cincy, Jacksonville and Seattle all finished 9-8, so before the 17-game season, maybe these teams would have finished 8-8 and not counted as winning teams.

Still, it's a testament to just how good the Ravens' season has been, the finished as the AFC's #1 seed despite playing a very tough schedule.

How is Andrew’s recovery coming? Any chance he plays soon?

Still also wondering about the RB load going forward.
I haven't heard a peep about Andrews' recovery. The Ravens lie so much, I wouldn't trust anything they said anyway.

I think Edwards & Hill are 1A & 1B for the rest of this season.

I haven't heard a peep about Andrews' recovery. The Ravens lie so much, I wouldn't trust anything they said anyway.

Any chance Dalvin plays and gets carries?
He could. Mel Gordon fumbled last game and RBs who don't play STs AND that fumble go into the doghouse pretty quickly under Harbaugh. I doubt we'll even get a crumb of information before this time next week, though, and I wouldn't believe a word of it in any case (unless someone is ruled out).

Are you in a playoff draft?

He could. Mel Gordon fumbled last game and RBs who don't play STs AND that fumble go into the doghouse pretty quickly under Harbaugh. I doubt we'll even get a crumb of information before this time next week, though, and I wouldn't believe a word of it in any case (unless someone is ruled out).

Are you in a playoff draft?

Yes, sort of.

Our league plays all the way from Week 1 to the SB with redrafts starting after next weeks games.

I currently have Cook deep down on my roster. I just don’t want to make the mistake of dropping him - if he’s going to get action. We can only keep 6 RB’s/Wr’s.

I couldn’t find anything news wise - so I alway like to ask the homers.

Andrews is back at practice and designated to return from IR!
Arguably the biggest news drop of day. Stars might be lining up for Lamar to win his first title.
I love Andrews, but I would not rush him back and risk an injury that could bleed into next season. That offense is humming right now and Likely has produced at Andrews' level. Jackson has been spreading the ball around a lot and I'm a bit concerned that he may fall back into "throw it to Mark no matter who else is open". I THINK Lamar is past that now, but who knows if he's under stress.

Andrews is back at practice and designated to return from IR!
Arguably the biggest news drop of day. Stars might be lining up for Lamar to win his first title.
I love Andrews, but I would not rush him back and risk an injury that could bleed into next season. That offense is humming right now and Likely has produced at Andrews' level. Jackson has been spreading the ball around a lot and I'm a bit concerned that he may fall back into "throw it to Mark no matter who else is open". I THINK Lamar is past that now, but who knows if he's under stress.
Yes you have to think they’ll be smart about not playing him if he isn’t darn close to 100%. Likely’s emergence allows for that.

Hearing good things about Cook in practice and Gordon's fumble vs the Steelers could put him in the Harbaugh doghouse, from which few escape. The big concern is if an RB brand new to the team can master in a few practices the complex ball handling with Lamar at the mesh point, where he often pulls the ball back and keeps it himself. It took Justice Hill the better part of a season to get it right

But they think he is fresh and could actually make plays, unlike Gordon who is very much just a guy at this point

It's great to see Andrews back but I think it would be very unlikely to get him back before the Super Bowl

At this point, I don't have a strong feeling about any of the possible playoff opponents. The Ravens should be favored to beat any of them, but could just as easily lose to any of them. Texans run game isn't particularly strong, and the Ravens have de-emphasized run D this year, so I think that might be a better match-up for them than the Steelers. I would guess the Ravens are a 7-point, maybe 7.5-point favorite over Houston

Monken said some very interesting stuff about how the Ravens were using this Bye week. He said during the regular season Bye (during Week 13), the players mostly got the week off while the coaches engaged in rigorous self-scouting - identifying what the Ravens do well and what they could improve on. But they didn't practice much/any of that stuff at the time, because the players were off and then they went straight into prepping for the Rams' game plan. But they've had 4 practices during this playoff Bye week, and they've used a lot of time practicing the stuff that coaches identified during the earlier Bye week - Monken singled out pass protections and route combos as examples. So I love the idea that the Ravens are now heading into their Divisional Playoff prep with a game plan that incorporates fixes to weaknesses they identified during self-scouting

I'm not a Super Bowl or Bust kind of guy because winning a championship game in a single-elimination tournament is so random. But I am very worried to think about my mental state if this team doesn't reach the AFC Championship and turn in a very strong showing there. If they crap at home in the Divisional Round as the #1 seed again, it's going to be a long 12 months of hearing Lamar can't win in the playoffs discourse.

Ravens are the better team; but HOU might be too young to realize that they shouldn't be able to hang with the Ravens. They certainly weren't "just happy to be here" with CLE, and that's not going to change in BAL. Ryan has them motivated, they have speed and they have guys stepping up. To me, they're a worse opponent than CLE. I wouldn't bet against BAL and fully expect them to be at least in the AFC Championship.......but if HOU has this as a one score game in the mid fourth quarter, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hearing good things about Cook in practice and Gordon's fumble vs the Steelers could put him in the Harbaugh doghouse, from which few escape. The big concern is if an RB brand new to the team can master in a few practices the complex ball handling with Lamar at the mesh point, where he often pulls the ball back and keeps it himself. It took Justice Hill the better part of a season to get it right

But they think he is fresh and could actually make plays, unlike Gordon who is very much just a guy at this point

It's great to see Andrews back but I think it would be very unlikely to get him back before the Super Bowl

At this point, I don't have a strong feeling about any of the possible playoff opponents. The Ravens should be favored to beat any of them, but could just as easily lose to any of them. Texans run game isn't particularly strong, and the Ravens have de-emphasized run D this year, so I think that might be a better match-up for them than the Steelers. I would guess the Ravens are a 7-point, maybe 7.5-point favorite over Houston

Monken said some very interesting stuff about how the Ravens were using this Bye week. He said during the regular season Bye (during Week 13), the players mostly got the week off while the coaches engaged in rigorous self-scouting - identifying what the Ravens do well and what they could improve on. But they didn't practice much/any of that stuff at the time, because the players were off and then they went straight into prepping for the Rams' game plan. But they've had 4 practices during this playoff Bye week, and they've used a lot of time practicing the stuff that coaches identified during the earlier Bye week - Monken singled out pass protections and route combos as examples. So I love the idea that the Ravens are now heading into their Divisional Playoff prep with a game plan that incorporates fixes to weaknesses they identified during self-scouting

I'm not a Super Bowl or Bust kind of guy because winning a championship game in a single-elimination tournament is so random. But I am very worried to think about my mental state if this team doesn't reach the AFC Championship and turn in a very strong showing there. If they crap at home in the Divisional Round as the #1 seed again, it's going to be a long 12 months of hearing Lamar can't win in the playoffs discourse.
You know I lean pessimist, GB. And I'm fully aware that I am getting ready to jinx everything. That being said......

Baltimore will annihilate the Steelers or the Texans in the Divisional Round. I know they keep losing to the Stillers at M&T, but they haven't been at full strength in any of those recent games. Houston actually scares me a little more - maybe because they are less known to me. Whoever the opponent is, I'd say something like 34-17.

Users who are viewing this thread