What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (1 Viewer)

If last year is any indication, I think Foster is going to struggle in a feature role on top of the injury and wear and tear. Even if he stays healthy, I can't see him being effective touching the ball 20+ times a game week in and week out.

Don't rule out Ajayi just yet despite his poor camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
If last year is any indication, I think Foster is going to struggle in a feature role on top of the injury and wear and tear. Even if he stays healthy, I can't see him being effective touching the ball 20+ times a game week in and week out.

Don't rule out Ajayi just yet despite his poor camp.
In his Ajayi's first 3 games last year, in a backup role after a chest injury, Ajayi looked very good, especially his ability to break tackles.  He's also a good receiver. In the preseason, I saw that he doesn't always have the vision and/or patience to follow his blocking. He isn't awful, but also has a potential durability problem long term - knee-on-knee. 

Jay Ajayi will not play Sunday after not making the trip to Seattle.

Per beat writer Adam Beasley, Ajayi is going to be inactive because the Dolphins "need their RBs (behind Arian Foster) to play special teams." Foster is shaping up as a workhorse, even in a difficult matchup. One Dolphins player told Beasley that Ajayi was "upset" when he lost the starting job to Foster, and the team decided to leave Ajayi at home instead of bring him on the team flight. Ajayi is barely worth rostering in 12-team leagues.

MIAMI DOLPHINS: Putting pressure on Ajayi to step up. Arian Foster winning the starting job with the Dolphins is a testament to the veteran running back's work in returning from an Achilles tear at age 30.

It's also an indictment of Jay Ajayi's offseason and training camp, as the 2015 fifth-round pick was supposed to be the No. 1 back for Miami.

But along the way, according to a team source and another person informed of Ajayi's status with the team, Ajayi didn't respond to the challenge Foster's arrival presented. The Dolphins' coaches wanted to see Ajayi dig in, work hard and force the team to keep him in the top spot while Foster -- who signed in July -- complemented him. Instead, they saw Ajayi sulk and struggle through a subpar preseason (18 carries for 49 yards and a fumble).

The hope now is Ajayi will finally respond to seeing Foster begin the season as the starter.

"The message has been received," one source said.

-- Mike Garafolo
Yeah, major pouting.

I'm out. A guy shouldn't need motivation. A guy shouldn't be beat by a guy coming back from an achilles. Foster is a definite stud but I'm afraid this says more about Ajayi negatively than it does about Foster.

Ugh, no practice today (hamstring) on rotoworld.  Precaution or rubber band legs popping already?
He's sore - he had a huge workload. The rest of the rotoworld blurb said it all: 

"It's likely a maintenance day after Foster played the entire game against Seattle. Even with Jay Ajayi expected to be active this week, Foster is an RB2 for Sunday's Patriots matchup."

They updated it to say "hamstring" - earlier today it just said maintenance day. 

Dude's old - they're resting him. I would wait until Friday's practice report to draw any conclusions. 

There's really no reason to even comment on Foster not practicing on a Wed or Thurs. There will be a lot of absences this season.

Jamaal charles born december 27 1986 coming off season ending acl injury.  This is his second season ending acl injury in 4 years, and one of the other years he was limited by a high ankle sprain.  As of now he is still on the pup list and his return date is unknown.  His healthy backups were highly successful without him and the team is expected to use them more. Last year charles had 537 yards and 5 tds in 5 games 

Arian foster born august 24 1986 - 4 months and 3 days older than charles - has drawn praise for annihilating his conditioning tests.  The team has said they want to ride their rb1.  Foster is expected to be their rb1.  Ajayi and drake have both been injured.   Last year foster had 390 yards and 3 tds in 4 games.  

Charles is going at 2.2.  
Before August 6th

Arian Foster's injury is believed to be a groin strain.

Per Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Foster's status for Sunday is "iffy" but he shouldn't miss more than a game or two. Foster hasn't shown much through two weeks, averaging a mere 2.9 yards per carry on 16 rushing attempts. Jay Ajayi would likely draw the start if Foster has to sit out against Cleveland in Week 3. Sep 20 - 12:38 PM

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

I can't imagine Foster coming back at full force again this year. He'll re-injure his ###### again and again or he'll tear something off the bone. Please forgive me if I do enjoy watching the Foster owners squirm. This guy has burned me so bad in the past.

Doubtful for this week.  Anyone think he has a decent chance to be a meaningful fantasy contributor this year?  I need to retool my rb situation and getting tired of him.

Foster has a chance to be good in certain games. I think he's the most talented RB on the roster but there are higher upside options out there on the WW due to his fragility and the MIA offense that would prefer to throw the ball. 

Foster has a chance to be good in certain games. I think he's the most talented RB on the roster but there are higher upside options out there on the WW due to his fragility and the MIA offense that would prefer to throw the ball. 
This to me is a positive for his value, not a negative. At least in PPR leagues. A team that lives on the short passing game is pretty ideal IMO for a back who lately gets most of his production in the passing game.

Doubtful for this week.  Anyone think he has a decent chance to be a meaningful fantasy contributor this year?  I need to retool my rb situation and getting tired of him.
I read Armando Salguero(sp?) the other day and he said Foster wanted to play this week but it was the team that wanted to hold him out. This is good news for Foster on many levels as it sounds to me like his return in week 6 is a foregone conclusion and the other part of that's good news is fact he is getting the kid glove treatment which usually is indicative of the teams knowledge of how critical you are.

So I think he'll be back next week and dominating RB touches. He's not ran well since 2014 but even when he ran poorly in his limited playing time last year and this season his work in passing game made him highly productive. So yes he has a better than decent chance of being a meaningful fantasy contributor this season, for how long is probably the biggest question.

Unless you have no other options, I have no idea why anyone would rely on Arian with the type of injuries he gets. Even if you guess right and he does play this week, he could reinjure groin, hamstring, other soft tissue at any time. The odds that he suffers an injury and scores you minimal points far outweigh the odds that he goes off and has a huge game. Go with the odds and avoid Arian.

Unless you have no other options, I have no idea why anyone would rely on Arian with the type of injuries he gets. Even if you guess right and he does play this week, he could reinjure groin, hamstring, other soft tissue at any time. The odds that he suffers an injury and scores you minimal points far outweigh the odds that he goes off and has a huge game. Go with the odds and avoid Arian.
My thoughts also. I drafted Foster and Ajayi since Foster is always hurt these days.  I dropped Foster right after the injury and have no intention on ever picking him up again. He will be hurt again in no time. 

Yep. I dropped him in both leagues I had him last week.  Too much fear of starting him and having him get hurt after two carries. I'd rather give that roster spot to someone who can be productive and helpful.  Foster is simply too unreliable anymore to start or even roster. 

I'm starting him out of bye and injury week necessity. Last I read, he was a game time decision.  If he can't go, I probably have to drop him and pick up someone to fill in. The wire is bare.

sooo...looks like he's set to start this week.  anyone have the intestinal fortitude to get him active?
Sometimes need trumps guts. 

In the league I have him, my team looks like a friggin MASH unit. My buddy sent me a text and said, "I was thinking about offering you a trade but when I looked at your roster I couldn't think of anything except Swiss Army Knives for some reason"

So yeah - Rolling with Foster this week and hoping that his PPR value as a receiver in a game that the Dolphins will be down 3 scores comes in handy. 

One thing to consider about situations like this though - I've noticed in the past that FFB writers on various sites love taking absolute stands about stuff.  And sometimes they miss. While I agree with the premise that this is a tough matchup, I also wonder about chicken & the egg with the Dolphins being this bad of a team while Foster has been out. 

I mean, they're not great, but they were better with Foster in the lineup. So maybe it's a bit of both - maybe the Fish will suck less with Foster back, even in a tough matchup. Because when he's right, he can play. He's better in pass protection, and he's a semi-elite receiver to dump off to, which IMO Ajayi is not. 

I could see Foster with 6-8 receptions and 100+ total yards with a ~40% chance of a TD of some sort. That said, I could also see Foster limping off the field after 4 carries, but that's the risk I have to take due to injury to the rest of my team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's always a risk when you start Foster that he'll leave the game early and you'll get virtually nothing from him. But, looking over his game logs it only seems to happen less than 10% of the time. Still fairly significant. His injuries seem to come early in games for whatever reason.

At any rate, they are getting pieces back to their O-Line and Pouncey is a very significant part of that equation. I don't think they are as bad as they've shown, and for all Foster's injuries, he still has elite skills when he's on the field. Whoever was able to hold on to him this season could very well be rewarded handsomely down the stretch here.

If he's healthy, and that blurb said he is a GTD, I have no doubt Gase trusts him to not make mental errors and therefore he will probably get the start.  However he hasn't flashed his elite skills since 2014.  On his 50 yard reception this year there wasn't a defender withing 5 yards of him for the first 28 yards of that play.  Props to him for making a nice juke on Earl Thomas to pick up the remaining 22 yards but that was a defensive breakdown, not elite skills.

His last 5.0+ YPC game was 12/7/14 @ Jacksonville, his last 4.0+ YPC game was 12/28/14 vs Jacksonville.

Since then he has been unable to stay healthy and has looked like hot garbage as a runner.  His sole value at this point seems to be in the passing game, where he seems to have a good feel for finding holes in coverage.  But as a runner he has been far, far below average since the end of 2014.

However he hasn't flashed his elite skills since 2014.
I would argue that although he hasn't show elite speed since that time, he has shown an abundance of elite skills in other areas, such as vision, patience, reading his blocks, catching the ball, running routes, etc, etc. Last year, while having a terrible yards per carry average, he still killed it (for fantasy purposes) in the games he played. His ability to get the ball in to the end zone is absolutely elite. If he can get decent blocking and stay healthy for any length of time, he'll absolutely be an asset this season.

I would argue that although he hasn't show elite speed since that time, he has shown an abundance of elite skills in other areas, such as 1) vision, patience, reading his blocks, catching the ball, running routes, etc, etc. Last year, while having a terrible yards per carry average, he still killed it (for fantasy purposes) in the games he played. 2) His ability to get the ball in to the end zone is absolutely elite. If he can get decent blocking and stay healthy for any length of time, he'll absolutely be an asset this season.
1) Kind of irrelevant if the mind is willing but the body isn't able.

2) He may have some Marcus Allen in that regard but it's also irrelevant if the offense doesn't get him near the goal line. And we all know that TDs are highly unpredictable. 

He has value in real football because of he can be trusted not to make stupid mistakes. But it really doesn't appear that he has much value above replacement from a physical ability perspective.

Chaka said:
1) Kind of irrelevant if the mind is willing but the body isn't able.

2) He may have some Marcus Allen in that regard but it's also irrelevant if the offense doesn't get him near the goal line. And we all know that TDs are highly unpredictable. 

He has value in real football because of he can be trusted not to make stupid mistakes. But it really doesn't appear that he has much value above replacement from a physical ability perspective.
The first game this season he had over 10 points in fantasy in what looks to be a crappy stat line at first glance. That's very useful in a Flex spot unless you're in a 10 team league.

We can argue this all day.

Users who are viewing this thread