What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

I edited my post .... Is your swing speed of 90-95 with your driver?

Your 6 iron swing speed wont match your driver.   

Are you playing regular flex?
No..I was swinging faster when I bought these clubs.  I think I need to go to a R.

Random side question....

Longest number of rounds with the same ball?!
Tough to answer. 

When I started to get "good" (<15 handi - now down to a ~8) and had a couple of rounds where I didn't lose a ball, I inevitably lost that ball almost right away the next round. My infamous story is that the lone time I've shot par and what happened with that ball has forever scarred me. I wasn't even very good at the time and I shot a relatively normal 41 front and, thanks to multiple Milwaukee's Best Ice's, I went out of my mind and shot a near impossible 31 back (including my lone hole in 1 and a chip in and a 50 footer downhill for two more eagles on the nine). The next day I played with my BIL - who is quite good and has essentially been my coach the past 7 years - and I talked a ton of #### to him and how the ball is magical, etc. First swing on first tee I, of course, put the ball in the water and probably lost like 3 more and shot 92 and coughed up a bunch of cash to him. 

Since that time and, again, as my game has improved (and my dispensable income has risen), I have been told that balls have a limited lifespan and, ideally, one should switch to a new ball after nine holes. I do this for tournaments. Further, if I play a round with the same ball it now goes into my bag as a "practice ball" and I like seeing the numerous "practice balls" I have in there as I'm warming up for a round. 

In short, given that one shouldn't play a ball forever, your question is akin to asking if one has ever shot even par with a 7 iron? Because, frankly, one shouldn't even think to try. :D  

Yeah, similar story. If I finish a round with a ball, it inevitably gets lost early the next day.

My course has multiple forced carries and all the holes are mostly split up by pretty dense woods or the edge of the property. So there really aren't any "miss it WAY right and just hit from the opposite fairway". If you lose one, its over a fence or into the woods and its gone.

The worst is when I take out a brand new ball and then within or 2 holes I hit a tree or rock or cart path and get some sort of huge mark on it. Big and/or deep enough that there's no way its just cosmetic and would likely affect ball flight. I have a bucket in my garage with probably 75 nearly brand new looking Chrome softs....except for the giant black mark it picked up from hitting the cart path. 

Tough to answer. 

When I started to get "good" (<15 handi - now down to a ~8) and had a couple of rounds where I didn't lose a ball, I inevitably lost that ball almost right away the next round. My infamous story is that the lone time I've shot par and what happened with that ball has forever scarred me. I wasn't even very good at the time and I shot a relatively normal 41 front and, thanks to multiple Milwaukee's Best Ice's, I went out of my mind and shot a near impossible 31 back (including my lone hole in 1 and a chip in and a 50 footer downhill for two more eagles on the nine). The next day I played with my BIL - who is quite good and has essentially been my coach the past 7 years - and I talked a ton of #### to him and how the ball is magical, etc. First swing on first tee I, of course, put the ball in the water and probably lost like 3 more and shot 92 and coughed up a bunch of cash to him. 

Since that time and, again, as my game has improved (and my dispensable income has risen), I have been told that balls have a limited lifespan and, ideally, one should switch to a new ball after nine holes. I do this for tournaments. Further, if I play a round with the same ball it now goes into my bag as a "practice ball" and I like seeing the numerous "practice balls" I have in there as I'm warming up for a round. 

In short, given that one shouldn't play a ball forever, your question is akin to asking if one has ever shot even par with a 7 iron? Because, frankly, one shouldn't even think to try. :D  
You hit your hole in one ball into the water?

I was just curious after the second or 3rd round - I'll play the same ball even if its scuffed up just to see how far I can go unless its like ridiculous bad

I made it  94 holes with the same ball. 

I made up for that 2 years ago - where I lost 5 balls each round in back to back rounds lol

Stupid golf

ETA: I do play courses where losing your ball can easily happen

Last edited by a moderator:
You hit your hole in one ball into the water?
Good point and good catch. 

No. Since I'm staring at it right now (as it is in a little trophy thingy in my office) I presume I exchanged mid-round. I know I didn't lose a ball that round so I guess "ball" is not used literally here. 

ETA: There was a significant amount of Milwaukee's Best Ice consumed that round if not obvious. 

I was just curious after the second or 3rd round - I'll play the same ball even if its scuffed up just to see how far I can go unless its like ridiculous bad

I made it  94 holes with the same ball. 

I made up for that 2 years ago - where I lost 5 balls each round in back to back rounds lol

Stupid golf
I do this with a lot of my solo, post-work like 7 hole rounds since I'm not keeping a score. Thank you for now creating a game for me to try to count the total consecutive holes in that setting. 

Followed my worst round in years last weekend to having one of my better ones. Was a bit hungover, showed up 10 mins before this round, zero warm up. Also an easier course.

If I can only not over swing the driver I am feeling really confident up there. Started grasping the concept of how to hit a bit of a draw, and while I’ll still slice occasionally it is much less or will just block it. 

Found a golf video guy who has given me good info: Saguto

The guy is corny but his tips are broken down into one or two mechanics and have really helped. 

Finally broke 40 on a side with a 39 on the back 9 on a course I’d never played before. I’ve gone 40/40 numerous times but I always get in my own head and blow it on either 9 or 18 when I’m about to finally shoot below 80 or break 40 on a side. I was about to break it on the front 9 and then my buddy let’s me know if I bogey I break 40, I of course put my drive in the water and then somehow put my drop in the water when I had a huge bailout left to at least give me an up and down at bogey. The back 9 I didn’t know I was low and my buddy told me after that he was gonna #### with me but there was no money on the line so he left it alone. Now that I’ve hopefully broken the mental hurdle I can finally relax and break 80.

Followed my worst round in years last weekend to having one of my better ones. Was a bit hungover, showed up 10 mins before this round, zero warm up. Also an easier course.

If I can only not over swing the driver I am feeling really confident up there. Started grasping the concept of how to hit a bit of a draw, and while I’ll still slice occasionally it is much less or will just block it. 

Found a golf video guy who has given me good info: Saguto

The guy is corny but his tips are broken down into one or two mechanics and have really helped. 
Oof that guy is tough to watch. Compare him to Clay Ballard please

Oof that guy is tough to watch. Compare him to Clay Ballard please
Yeah he’s cheesy, but the tip for the right arm for whatever reason has worked wonders for me. I like that it is broken into the one move. 

I will check out Clay Ballard. The issue I have had forever is not getting irons cleanly through and I push them to the left. This is next on the list.

Yeah he’s cheesy, but the tip for the right arm for whatever reason has worked wonders for me. I like that it is broken into the one move. 

I will check out Clay Ballard. The issue I have had forever is not getting irons cleanly through and I push them to the left. This is next on the list.
If you want a good drill for this put a club head cover just sightly below your right armpit (wedging it still with your upper inner bicep and side) and try to hold it there throughout the swing. 

If you want a good drill for this put a club head cover just sightly below your right armpit (wedging it still with your upper inner bicep and side) and try to hold it there throughout the swing. 
I have definitely been doing this based on the Saguto’s guy tip I think. Not actually what you described but the same process my right arm is pretty much pressed against my body. 

I will give this a try next time I’m at the range, I’m guessing the head cover will be wedged in there.

Not squeezing the #### out of the club has also helped.

I played tennis growing up and while the hand eye coordination helps a lot, the swing, the grip pressure is so different.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I have definitely been doing this based on the Saguto’s guy tip I think. Not actually what you described but the same process my right arm is pretty much pressed against my body. 

I will give this a try next time I’m at the range, I’m guessing the head cover will be wedged in there.

Not squeezing the #### out of the club has also helped.

I played tennis growing up and while the hand eye coordination helps a lot, the swing, the grip pressure is so different.
I predominantly played baseball all my life so, while the had eye coordination was there, the elbow positioning is pretty different (and why baseball players commonly hit big slices). 

I had to train my muscles to fix my elbow position (i.e. keep it closer to my body) and the head cover drill helped a lot. 

I got got by some email marketing this morning and impulse bought some Honma XP-1 irons at Rock Bottom Golf.  $800 OFF!!

Anybody hit these?  I'm kind of an equipment nerd, but haven't been able to try these out before.  Thought I'd buy them and then tweak to my specs as needed. 

Oh well.  Yay!  New irons!

Grahamburn said:
I got got by some email marketing this morning and impulse bought some Honma XP-1 irons at Rock Bottom Golf.  $800 OFF!!

Anybody hit these?  I'm kind of an equipment nerd, but haven't been able to try these out before.  Thought I'd buy them and then tweak to my specs as needed. 

Oh well.  Yay!  New irons!
Through my kid I’m familiar with Honma, super solid #### and I don’t think you will be disappointed 

Anyone have a Ping g400 Max, regular flex for sale? 

Hit this one at 2nd Swing and hit what for me were bombs.
I got a ping g410 max OMG look at me and I freaken love my driver, not gonna sell this one for a long time. Funny that after Bryson’s win this weekend they showed that he was using a 4 year old king cobra driver head, some are wondering if it may hurt sales of new gear!

For those that go to 2nd swing for a fitting, do they compare your current clubs vs potential new ones in a simulator? What happens if you don’t buy anything? Wondering how much they can figure out iron accuracy/fitting

For those that go to 2nd swing for a fitting, do they compare your current clubs vs potential new ones in a simulator? What happens if you don’t buy anything? Wondering how much they can figure out iron accuracy/fitting
You swing with your existing set to create a "baseline".

They have a simulator that shows all sorts of things - swing speed, RPMs, launch angle, etc. It shows where your shots land with different colors for different sets of clubs. It was obvious that I should get the Mizunos bevause I put a group of five shots all within about five feet of each other.

It costs $100 for an hour but is free if you do buy. I'd guess they'd charge you if you don't.

I got a ping g410 max OMG look at me and I freaken love my driver, not gonna sell this one for a long time. Funny that after Bryson’s win this weekend they showed that he was using a 4 year old king cobra driver head, some are wondering if it may hurt sales of new gear!
Is that the 410 PLUS, do you mean? I should hit that too since, for whatever reason, the 400 & 410 are the same price.

Got in a morning round. 39 on the front with one Breakfast Ball (we did tee off at 6:30 and it was barely light and was like 35 degrees so I’m using all those excuses for my errant tee shot that I replaced).

Kept that arm tucked @Zow

Back was more normal for me with a 46 but still hitting pretty well.

Looking forward to Spring weather. Chambers Bay in 2 weeks.

Got in a morning round. 39 on the front with one Breakfast Ball (we did tee off at 6:30 and it was barely light and was like 35 degrees so I’m using all those excuses for my errant tee shot that I replaced).

Kept that arm tucked @Zow

Back was more normal for me with a 46 but still hitting pretty well.

Looking forward to Spring weather. Chambers Bay in 2 weeks.
CHeater!@#!@# :)

Im hoping to play tomorrow and friday.   Went out in the yard to hit some wedges and hit nothing but grounders - so yeah lol

CHeater!@#!@# :)

Im hoping to play tomorrow and friday.   Went out in the yard to hit some wedges and hit nothing but grounders - so yeah lol
:lmao:  

My course has an understood informal breakfast ball rule on hole 1 if you tee off early enough (there's no range - just a hitting net, it's often rather cold, and it's probably the toughest tee shot on the course with a narrow fairway and OB on both sides). 

Just bucked up and joined the club up the street from me. Any tips on being the new guy?  I assume it's like being the new guy anywhere, but are there any unwritten rules someone who has only played on public tracks (unless I was a guest) should know about?

Lol.  We do that with my group all the time.  Breakfast ball shoot 38?  Nice 40.  Bomb a drive right down the middle.  Nice bogey.  Knock one stiff inside 10 feet or so.  Hell of a par.  Yes, we're d!cks. 

SouthJersey said:
Just bucked up and joined the club up the street from me. Any tips on being the new guy?  I assume it's like being the new guy anywhere, but are there any unwritten rules someone who has only played on public tracks (unless I was a guest) should know about?
Get to know the guys/gals in the pro shop and be open to getting paired with other members (old crusties, ladies, whoever).  Be friendly and accept invitations to have a beer or lunch after.  These intros will lead to more intros and a more regular group that you are comfortable playing with.  Tip the cart guys well (I tip $5 per round and they take really good care of me).  

Lol.  We do that with my group all the time.  Breakfast ball shoot 38?  Nice 40.  Bomb a drive right down the middle.  Nice bogey.  Knock one stiff inside 10 feet or so.  Hell of a par.  Yes, we're d!cks. 
We're a little more subtle if you pipe a drive down the middle and then end up making a bogey as we walk off the green we just say nice drive

So last Saturday I finally shot a 39 on a 9’s side, then the following day I went to top golf. Well Friday I produced a 98 at my home course :lmao:  the top golf clubs always #### me up, this morning I went 39/40 and finally broke 80 at the same course as Friday! Time to drink 

They "opened" the back 9 at our course yesterday now that most of the snow has melted. Front 9 has a lot more tree cover so not quite yet. Obviously no posting in NJ until April 1st. 

Went out and knocked it around yesterday just to shake off the cobwebs. Played like 3 balls on most holes and dropped extras at distances I hadn't hit from yet. Mixed bag of results (not surprising, since my last swing was some time in early December)  but definitely some good ones. I flushed pretty much all my hybrids and a 3 wood,  most of my drives were playable and I hit 2 full wedges(weakest part of my game) to inside 10 feet.  

Felt good to be out there after a rough winter.  Goal for the year is to get the index under 12 (got to a 12.3 at one point last year,  currently at 13)

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Loving the new driver Three Wood hybrids, Don't quite feel confident with my irons just yet and my chipping's been awful

They "opened" the back 9 at our course yesterday now that most of the snow has melted. Front 9 has a lot more tree cover so not quite yet. Obviously no posting in NJ until April 1st. 

Went out and knocked it around yesterday just to shake off the cobwebs. Played like 3 balls on most holes and dropped extras at distances I hadn't hit from yet. Mixed bag of results (not surprising, since my last swing was some time in early December)  but definitely some good ones. I flushed pretty much all my hybrids and a 3 wood,  most of my drives were playable and I hit 2 full wedges(weakest part of my game) to inside 10 feet.  

Felt good to be out there after a rough winter.  Goal for the year is to get the index under 12 (got to a 12.3 at one point last year,  currently at 13)
A few years ago, I decided to focus on my wedge game as I realized that my practice (just hitting balls on the range and a few chips before my round) wasn't specific enough. My course is also 20 minutes away and we have school practice fields behind us, so I developed this practice game. 

Find a vacant playing field or end of the range, bring 1 wedge, and put down 2 or 3 buckets (I use old Costco laundry detergent buckets) in a triangle or makeshift pitch and putt course.  Bring a rangefinder or step off precise distances (I usually start with half shots, then hit 3/4 shots in round 2, and then full shots in round 3).  Buy a small hitting mat like THIS to avoid leaving a bunch of divots, and hit 20 balls (I like exactly 20 to avoid getting in a rut and to make sure I find them all) at the bucket.  When done, chip/pitch the balls towards or into the bucket from where they lie.

I usually play from 3 or 4 locations in a session (twice per week early season and then once a week during), which takes me about an hour. Using one wedge at a time will teach you how to control flights/lofts, deal with wind, and hit varying chip/pitch shots with each club.  If you are coming up short/long on every full shot, move closer/further and note the yardage.  Figure out YOUR precise distance for a full shot with each wedge, and then you can work on consistency and alignment.  Taking distance out of the equation makes things simpler, and if you get to the point where you are making consistent, solid contact on your full and pitch shots, all that is left is alignment, and that is pretty simple. 

Doing this drill brought my handicap down five shots in 2 years.  Now if I could just make more putts....

So I have “played” for the last 30 years.  I am 43.  When I say played I mean occasionally went to the course or range with buds with hand me down clubs.  Never really took it seriously.  Now my 9 year old is in lessons and really excited about it. Now I am motivated to get some nicer clubs and stuff.  Where do I start?  My neighbor has a set of 2yo Taylor Mades he will give me cheap since he wants to upgrade.  The guy also gave me a White Hot for me to cut down for my son. I will find out what clubs they are.

Lets say your budget is I don’t know, 1k.  What do you get?  I know I am not buying a $500 driver with that.  Maybe I am...

So I have “played” for the last 30 years.  I am 43.  When I say played I mean occasionally went to the course or range with buds with hand me down clubs.  Never really took it seriously.  Now my 9 year old is in lessons and really excited about it. Now I am motivated to get some nicer clubs and stuff.  Where do I start?  My neighbor has a set of 2yo Taylor Mades he will give me cheap since he wants to upgrade.  The guy also gave me a White Hot for me to cut down for my son. I will find out what clubs they are.

Lets say your budget is I don’t know, 1k.  What do you get?  I know I am not buying a $500 driver with that.  Maybe I am...
talk to the person giving him lessons - depending on his size, it could be as simple as a set of US Kids.  Cut down clubs aren't bad - they aren't great for kids either though.  Wait until he really steps up before dropping $1K.  He'll be better off with focusing on the lessons.

Also - it's really important that he has a place where he can spend hours by himself, chipping and putting.  Just blasting balls by himself isn't so great.  But the chipping and putting around a golf course practice green is invaluable.  If he isn't into doing that ...he's not that into it.  

Played Greyhawk in Scottsdale today. 42 putts on my way to an 83. I’m a mess within 5 feet and can’t send to fix it. Really have issues bringing the putter back straight. 

talk to the person giving him lessons - depending on his size, it could be as simple as a set of US Kids.  Cut down clubs aren't bad - they aren't great for kids either though.  Wait until he really steps up before dropping $1K.  He'll be better off with focusing on the lessons.

Also - it's really important that he has a place where he can spend hours by himself, chipping and putting.  Just blasting balls by himself isn't so great.  But the chipping and putting around a golf course practice green is invaluable.  If he isn't into doing that ...he's not that into it.  
Thanks for the reply Binky.  I may have Mislead a bit. He already has a set of US Kids clubs for his size.  I do have a spot for him to chip but it’s wiffle only as our backyard is limited without going over the fence.  I need to take him to the range more often.  The head teacher/pro held him back after practice and told him he has “hands” for this game?  He was giving him some great feedback and reinforcement.  After he said Dad I am a Pro.  I laughed inside.

I was talking about clubs for Daddy.

Do you have a golfmart near you? Or any place that has second hand clubs? I’ve bought all my clubs at golfmart, my driver and irons were slightly used and heavily discounted. 

12 hours ago, ragincajun said:

Expand  
Do you have a golfmart near you? Or any place that has second hand clubs? I’ve bought all my clubs at golfmart, my driver and irons were slightly used and heavily discounted. 
Globalgolf and SecondSwing also sell used clubs online if you know what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread