What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Tough way to go out. Magic finally gone. (1 Viewer)

That was the play after watching SoundFX I noticed that he really did fumble. NE really did get a break. Watching it live I thought he had fumbled it. Perhaps the ref thought he was Out of Bounds too? Only other thing besides Progress stopped was called for it not to be. Definitely something I wouldn't have minded a challenge on. 
I rewatched all the recent Pats superbowls, seattle and Atlanta really choked,they had tom beat , kudo to Doug & Nick for not wilting under the pressure.

Lots of people forget in that Seattle superbowl, Cliff Avril was concussed and out, Lane intercepted brady and broke his arm in the first quarter, they then abused the #3 corner simon the rest of the game.

The falcons should of never lost, but a bad blitz pick up by freeman on more than once occasion cost them a sack fumble and a hold. utter collapse.

I’ve noticed so many more things after re-watching it 7 times. :lol:  

-As the play happened I was screaming for Agholor to just lay down instead of going out of bounds with 2:37 to go. By watching the replay It either goes to the two minute warning or NE uses their 2nd timeout sooner. Really bad mistake by him. 

-The other play that really gets me is the fumble by Amendola that was ruled down at around the 11:00 minute mark of the fourth quarter. There were no whistles until the ball came out and he definitely wasn’t down. I’m assuming they called forward progress stopped, but that was a big break for them. 

-still amazes me that there were three more possessions after the Ertz TD when I was hoping they could end the game on that drive. 
I’m happy to hear I’m not alone in having a problem lol. I’m currently on my 9th watch (watching now) and I STILL can’t believe how clutch Jake Elliot has been for us. That FG was HUGE!! 46 yards, to put you up 8, in the SB for a rookie kicker is just crazy  

It was also a hell of a gameplan to have Jenkins cover the RB’s. In the weeks leading up to the game I expected them to have 10-12 catches between White, Burkhead and Lewis. I believe us using Jenkins to cover them took that out of their game plan. 

And JFC....our OL was just astounding. 

So true. If Atlanta keeps their foot on the gas and Carrol doesn’t lose his mind the pats would be 0 for their past 5 SB’s. 

I’ll always respect them but they have been incredibly lucky. 
atl was up 16 with like 8 minutes to play, Tevin coleman gets hurt. freeman comes in on the 3rd down play, Matt Ryan doenst take the clock all the way down, snaps it with like 11 seconds on the clock and Freeman wasn't ready to block, Hightowers blasts right by him, sack fumble, pretty much the game. Needin two tds and two pointers? it really was a biblical come back.

I'm ready to watch the Philly special again.....

McAdoo was a good OC with the Giants, I wouldn't hate the pick.  Sometimes good coordinators are just lousy HC's.
I’m always a fan of these types. Good  coordinators turned failed HC seem to come back and do really well in their old positions. 

Speaking of which. I’m starting to think Schwartz may be our DC for a long time. He seems to fit that bill and even after he did such a great job (IMO anyway) Indy didn’t even consider him. 

atl was up 16 with like 8 minutes to play, Tevin coleman gets hurt. freeman comes in on the 3rd down play, Matt Ryan doenst take the clock all the way down, snaps it with like 11 seconds on the clock and Freeman wasn't ready to block, Hightowers blasts right by him, sack fumble, pretty much the game. Needin two tds and two pointers? it really was a biblical come back.

I'm ready to watch the Philly special again.....
I still have no clue why that play was a pass anyway. 

And I think it was with like 4 minutes left. 

McAdoo was a good OC with the Giants, I wouldn't hate the pick.  Sometimes good coordinators are just lousy HC's.
I recall a lot of disgruntled players and locker room grumblings with the Giants this year. Not sure if McAdoo's personality would fit with the demeanor of this team. But admittedly, I know nothing about the man.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was also a hell of a gameplan to have Jenkins cover the RB’s. In the weeks leading up to the game I expected them to have 10-12 catches between White, Burkhead and Lewis. I believe us using Jenkins to cover them took that out of their game plan. 
Yea - I think that backfired.  No safeties in the middle of the field, and their WR's were as wide open as can be.  It's tough to get a good defensive gameplan, but I would have rathered dump offs to the RB's then wide open passes 20 yards down the field.

Yea - I think that backfired.  No safeties in the middle of the field, and their WR's were as wide open as can be.  It's tough to get a good defensive gameplan, but I would have rathered dump offs to the RB's then wide open passes 20 yards down the field.
I assume that they were expecting to get more pressure so figured it was worth the gamble that they wouldn't have time to get it downfield as much.

i hate hearing this. Eagles win that SB with Butler or without. His presence wouldn't have changed the game. Think it cheapens the Eagles victory when i hear Pats fans say it
Malcom butler would have been burned by Jeffery too.  Why Gilmore wasn't on Jeffery all game is the real question

Any coaching staff that can take a back up qb and coach him to be the Super Bowl MVP should be in high demand.  Eagles had assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL, don’t sell them short of what those coaches accomplished!
it's always interesting to see. one of the most telling is the success coaches have afteward. Compare Andy Reid's coaching tree to Belicheckj's, and where those coaches are now. Some was poor decision making (can't jump on first offer and jump into a situation like taking the HC position with the Browns), but it is glaring to see when people put BB on that pedestal. 

So true. If Atlanta keeps their foot on the gas and Carrol doesn’t lose his mind the pats would be 0 for their past 5 SB’s. 

I’ll always respect them but they have been incredibly lucky. 
I'm kind of a d ick head this way but every time I get hit with an "IF" from a salty pats fan about butler or any other excuse they lost, I come back with my own giant "IF." IF they didn't have that film crew and two doofus HCs messing up, they'd be ZERO and TEN in Super Bowls. That's 0-10!!! LOL!

Observation after my 5th viewing:

Collingsworth is a joke.
Even Michaels. It’s pretty amazing when you watch it alone and listen. Just the end of the game, they sounded so disappointed that the Hail Mary didn’t work or it was like the end of a preseason game, no big deal. There was zero excitement for the end of one of the greatest Super Bowls to be played with that ending. Pretty pathetic showing by both of those guys. 

Any coaching staff that can take a back up qb and coach him to be the Super Bowl MVP should be in high demand.  Eagles had assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL, don’t sell them short of what those coaches accomplished!
No doubt, I’m not taking anything away from the coaching staff. More of a shot at other owners trying to copy the winner. Just always amazes me how the Super Bowl winners get stripped of coaches and playing styles copied after every SB. I don’t fault them for wanting to try and copy that formula, there’s just way more to it than a coach. Front office, owner, players etc. it’s just not that easy to replicate. 

i hate hearing this. Eagles win that SB with Butler or without. His presence wouldn't have changed the game. Think it cheapens the Eagles victory when i hear Pats fans say it
I'm not one of the guys saying it.  You won fair and square. You played without your starting qb. There's no complaining about injuries or coaching decisions. Enjoy the win. 

Word of advice - nothing can or should cheapen this win for you guys. People will always find a way to #### on good things and that will happen to you guys too once the dust settles and you stop being the giant slayers and become the new giants. This was a great game and a great Superbowl and the eagles beat some very good teams to do it.  If patriots fans are doing their post mortem and want to talk about butler - who cares?  If the pats hadn't gotten lucky on their first interception, it could have been a blowout.  If the eagles hadn't converted a pass to their quarterback they might have lost.  There's a hundred plays and coaching decisions that could have gone differently. 

You don't need to look for villains any more, and the pats fans really aren't the villains.  From what I can see we're all happy for you guys.

Even Michaels. It’s pretty amazing when you watch it alone and listen. Just the end of the game, they sounded so disappointed that the Hail Mary didn’t work or it was like the end of a preseason game, no big deal. There was zero excitement for the end of one of the greatest Super Bowls to be played with that ending. Pretty pathetic showing by both of those guys. 
It did feel very anti-climactic.  To be fair, if you watch Merrill and Mike in the booth, they were kind of subdued also.  Given that there were 9 seconds left, I honestly wasn't expecting that to be the last play, so maybe there was something to that, though once you see that clock at 00, you would think Michaels would have given a huge reaction.  It was kind of like the 2010 Stanley Cup, when Kane(?) scored that OT goal that just kind of sneaked in and it wasn't totally clear what had happened.

It did feel very anti-climactic.  To be fair, if you watch Merrill and Mike in the booth, they were kind of subdued also.  Given that there were 9 seconds left, I honestly wasn't expecting that to be the last play, so maybe there was something to that, though once you see that clock at 00, you would think Michaels would have given a huge reaction.  It was kind of like the 2010 Stanley Cup, when Kane(?) scored that OT goal that just kind of sneaked in and it wasn't totally clear what had happened.
Everyone I spoke to had a similar reaction and it all centered around the clock. I didn’t think the game was over and once the ball hit the ground I had to check the clock. 

Same when you watch the Kobe reaction. He’s just glad that play is over and than he’s like “wait, did we just win the f’ing SB?!”

It was the same way in the stadium. It was like moment of stunned silence befor everyone realized the clock was at 0. 

I'd rather have had Romo. He'd have been pumped.

It was the same way in the stadium. It was like moment of stunned silence befor everyone realized the clock was at 0. 
That also could have been the disbelief of Philly fans always waiting for the anvil to drop on our heads. It never came. It took a minute for us to realize it wasn't coming. Then, elation.

Sludge said:
72nd and Buist. Lived there for 25years. Moved out 24 years ago. Man, I'm getting old. 
Nice. My dad used to take me to Ernie's Barber Shop right near there. And we went to school at St. Clement's on 72nd and Paschall. I guess you were a Finnegan's kid? We moved out in 1990.

This watch yields this observation:

Collingworths’ silence after the Philly Special speaks volumes. He chimes in after a long pause following Michaels’ play call. However his abundance of doubt to go for it was readily voiced prior to the play. Sorry Chris, the Philly Special abused BB and silenced YOU :lmao:
Collinsworth was atrocious last Sunday. He should've just gotten on his knees before the game and videoed himself blowing every member of the NE organization before the game. I thought it was unprofessional of him to go on about the doubt on the Ertz TE. Listening to SOundFX Even the NE radio guys said they thought it was a TD and mentioned him having the ball and taking steps. No wonder fans are confused about Catch rules and stuff eve more so. When you have a guy like Colinsworth openingly cheering against one of the teams it really does nothing to help the causal fan. I did like how SoundFX had Gene explaining to his guys why the Clement TD was good. I would hope the NFL does a better job of explaining why something was ruled incomplete and not incomplete similar to what he did. We don't need a whole Ed Hochichly explanation but something so everyone knows why. 

Malcom butler would have been burned by Jeffery too.  Why Gilmore wasn't on Jeffery all game is the real question
When I saw in the 1st QTR that Eric Rowe was covering Jeffrey My eyes lit up and I felt like it was Christmas morning again. Any die hard Eagles fan knows how bad Eric Rowe was here and he didn't do all that great for NE either. It was nice to see them take advantage of that match up whenever possible 

it's always interesting to see. one of the most telling is the success coaches have afteward. Compare Andy Reid's coaching tree to Belicheckj's, and where those coaches are now. Some was poor decision making (can't jump on first offer and jump into a situation like taking the HC position with the Browns), but it is glaring to see when people put BB on that pedestal. 
I agree but also BB hardly ever lets his coaches go. He did somewhat this year which leads credence to the report that there is some issues in Patriot Land these days. I wonder if Brady is upset he didn't get patriot of the week last week. Seriously what kind of award is that? This isn't elementary school. 

No doubt, I’m not taking anything away from the coaching staff. More of a shot at other owners trying to copy the winner. Just always amazes me how the Super Bowl winners get stripped of coaches and playing styles copied after every SB. I don’t fault them for wanting to try and copy that formula, there’s just way more to it than a coach. Front office, owner, players etc. it’s just not that easy to replicate. 
Like they say the NFL is a copycat league. If some team had success with something everyone tries it and then when DC's figure out how to stop it only very few teams use it. Remember the wildcat formation? Problem with that is you kind of need a player who can not only run but is a bit of a threat to Pass the ball AKA a Trey Burton, Julian Edelman type who've played some QB in College. I thought Burton was the perfect man for the throw given his QB experience. Something tells me if Edelman hadn't been lost in pre season he makes that pass to Brady that he dropped. Not saying Brady shouldn't have had it but Amendola's throw wasn't the best either. I've seen NE run that play multiple times with Edelman throwing it to Brady over the years and he always catches it and Edelman has a good pass that leads him. 

Either way back to the copycat. Remember teams going to the Read/Spread Option and how everyone thought "oh this is the new NFL?" I laughed at that. I liked Chip Kelly in college but the more I thought about him as an NFL coach and I looked at his college resume I didn't believe his offense would last in the NFL and he took advantage of a PAC12 Con at the time when they were down. I remember people saying guys like Wilson, Newton and CK were the new QB of the NFL future. That really gave me a chuckle. I knew the nFL would eventually catch up to it. I remember people fawning over CK and I said he'll be out of the league in 5 yrs. If something is remotely successful in the NFL other teams try it. Granted the Read Option still is there to a degree but it's not a base offense anymore. Honestly if I'm college and NFL teams I'm going to a hybrid offense that takes different things and elements from every offense. Give me a QB in either Wentz mold or Nick Foles mold anyway over these video game like highlight reel guys. 

Collinsworth was atrocious last Sunday. He should've just gotten on his knees before the game and videoed himself blowing every member of the NE organization before the game. I thought it was unprofessional of him to go on about the doubt on the Ertz TE. Listening to SOundFX Even the NE radio guys said they thought it was a TD and mentioned him having the ball and taking steps. No wonder fans are confused about Catch rules and stuff eve more so. When you have a guy like Colinsworth openingly cheering against one of the teams it really does nothing to help the causal fan. I did like how SoundFX had Gene explaining to his guys why the Clement TD was good. I would hope the NFL does a better job of explaining why something was ruled incomplete and not incomplete similar to what he did. We don't need a whole Ed Hochichly explanation but something so everyone knows why. 
:thumbup:

I'm not one of the guys saying it.  You won fair and square. You played without your starting qb. There's no complaining about injuries or coaching decisions. Enjoy the win. 

Word of advice - nothing can or should cheapen this win for you guys. People will always find a way to #### on good things and that will happen to you guys too once the dust settles and you stop being the giant slayers and become the new giants. This was a great game and a great Superbowl and the eagles beat some very good teams to do it.  If patriots fans are doing their post mortem and want to talk about butler - who cares?  If the pats hadn't gotten lucky on their first interception, it could have been a blowout.  If the eagles hadn't converted a pass to their quarterback they might have lost.  There's a hundred plays and coaching decisions that could have gone differently. 

You don't need to look for villains any more, and the pats fans really aren't the villains.  From what I can see we're all happy for you guys.
I totally agree with you and I can't speak for you and nothing against you as I don't know you but my experience with Boston fans over the last 15 or so years of their success if a lot of the sports fans have become entitled and obnoxious there where they find any little thing to try to discredit the other team winning and not them. A lot have become the fans they despised from NY and other places they use to complain about. My cousin lives up there and I think the obnoxiousness and entitlement from some have made him a bigger Eagles fan now then he was when he was home. In fact showing his passion for the team even more. We've had so many people doubt us all year. From beating "non playoff teams" to our Coach isn't good enough, Carson is a 1 year wonder, our Defense isn't that good, now that Wentz is hurt they aren't winning a SB and will be 1 and done. Heck our coach got ONE ####### VOTE FOR COACH OF THE YEAR!!!!! LIKE WTF!!?? He beat the guy who won coach of the year on the road and his Back Up QB came in and won the game as well. Butler wouldn't have made a difference as he was getting burned all year. The Calls on the TDs? NE was the beneficiary of many close calls all year. They say in sports by the end of the game or year calls even out. Yes NE was lucky on a tipped ball for an INT. I also think NE was Lucky just like The Vikings that Wentz was hurt because if Nick Foles could do what he did in those two games just imagine what Wentz would've done. Heck the only punt of the game came from Philly because they didn't execute a 3rd down pass which Nick had plenty of room to take off and gotten a first down and kept the drive going. Not saying Wentz makes that completion but he would've taken off with that sort of room. We're use to the doubters by this point. Looking back on stuff even if NE fans say we were lucky we can always go back to NE's 2 SB wins against ATL and SEA and play the "You got Lucky" and "What If" games. It goes both ways and NE could've just been 0-5 in their last 5 SBs. Its all good though. 

I had a real dislike for Gene but after watching the Game and SoundFX he seems like a cool guy who enjoys the game as much as anyone else. He seemed to have a lot of fun out there with the players joking around and all. Loved how he kept telling his crew we're just gonna let them play basically. Don't call anything unless it has to be called. No need for a game of that magnitude to become all about the officials and calling some tic tacky calls all because the League wants them too. If the NFL wants penalties to help with scoring I think Gene's crew for the SB and both teams showed the league you don't need Penalties that favor the offense to get your high scoring affair. I didn't mind the overall high score but I'd have prefer if we gave up a lot less points. 

I totally agree with you and I can't speak for you and nothing against you as I don't know you but my experience with Boston fans over the last 15 or so years of their success if a lot of the sports fans have become entitled and obnoxious there where they find any little thing to try to discredit the other team winning and not them. A lot have become the fans they despised from NY and other places they use to complain about. My cousin lives up there and I think the obnoxiousness and entitlement from some have made him a bigger Eagles fan now then he was when he was home. In fact showing his passion for the team even more. We've had so many people doubt us all year. From beating "non playoff teams" to our Coach isn't good enough, Carson is a 1 year wonder, our Defense isn't that good, now that Wentz is hurt they aren't winning a SB and will be 1 and done. Heck our coach got ONE ####### VOTE FOR COACH OF THE YEAR!!!!! LIKE WTF!!?? He beat the guy who won coach of the year on the road and his Back Up QB came in and won the game as well. Butler wouldn't have made a difference as he was getting burned all year. The Calls on the TDs? NE was the beneficiary of many close calls all year. They say in sports by the end of the game or year calls even out. Yes NE was lucky on a tipped ball for an INT. I also think NE was Lucky just like The Vikings that Wentz was hurt because if Nick Foles could do what he did in those two games just imagine what Wentz would've done. Heck the only punt of the game came from Philly because they didn't execute a 3rd down pass which Nick had plenty of room to take off and gotten a first down and kept the drive going. Not saying Wentz makes that completion but he would've taken off with that sort of room. We're use to the doubters by this point. Looking back on stuff even if NE fans say we were lucky we can always go back to NE's 2 SB wins against ATL and SEA and play the "You got Lucky" and "What If" games. It goes both ways and NE could've just been 0-5 in their last 5 SBs. Its all good though. 
Agree with most of what you wrote except for the bolded part.  Is Wentz a better QB than Foles?  Absolutely.  But you can't say "imagine what Wentz would have done if Foles did that to them".  Foles played out of his mind in those 2 games.  While Wentz certainly could have played that well, it's not even close to a sure bet that he would have.  Same thing could be said about any other elite QB including Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc...It seems like you're discrediting how valuable Foles was to this team in the playoffs.

Agree with most of what you wrote except for the bolded part.  Is Wentz a better QB than Foles?  Absolutely.  But you can't say "imagine what Wentz would have done if Foles did that to them".  Foles played out of his mind in those 2 games.  While Wentz certainly could have played that well, it's not even close to a sure bet that he would have.  Same thing could be said about any other elite QB including Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc...It seems like you're discrediting how valuable Foles was to this team in the playoffs.
I'm by no means discrediting Foles. I've been a huge Foles defender for yrs even after Wentz went down. Even ask @Deamon who had his doubts on Foles I was fairly vocal about believing in him. I didn't go Shabucks on him but am a Foles believer. This is by no means a slight on Foles. Foles is a good QB but Wentz is a franchise player with top 3 QB in the league potential at this point. It's no guarantee that Wentz plays as well as Foles but I'm more so talking about there were plays by the Eagles left on the field that with Wentz abilities that Foles lacks in (In the most respectful way) he can make those plays. Again like I pointed out in an example the 3rd down that wasn't converted they punted in the 1st QTR or the 2nd where the pass was incomplete. Foles had a running lane and could've gotten the first down. Wentz in there with his mobility goes for the first down I think there. These aren't to discredit Foles in anyway and I apologize if it comes off like that. Those comments were more so comparing one guys weakness and another strength (Mobility). 

When I saw in the 1st QTR that Eric Rowe was covering Jeffrey My eyes lit up and I felt like it was Christmas morning again. Any die hard Eagles fan knows how bad Eric Rowe was here and he didn't do all that great for NE either. It was nice to see them take advantage of that match up whenever possible 
We do?  I mean, he was here as a rookie, so yea, he wasn't great, but I think most fans felt he had promise.  Him getting traded was a bit of a surprise.

We do?  I mean, he was here as a rookie, so yea, he wasn't great, but I think most fans felt he had promise.  Him getting traded was a bit of a surprise.
I wasn't all that surprised. Just by what I was reading comments wise by Schwartz I said well Rowe aint making the team. My Co Worker who's Son is the Assistian Secondary Coach to Corey Udlin said Rowe was making mistakes over and over again and the coaches felt he wasn't putting in the work the other guys were. Work ethic questions and they felt they had other guys on the team who were just as good or better. If they didn't get an offer for him he was most likely getting cut. I was never a big Rowe fan by any means though. The funny thing is I wanted Darby over him as well as some others who were drafted in that round like Jeremy Langford and David Johnson who was drafted early in the 3rd. Was never a big Rowe fan. Always thought he was another big athletic guy but didn't have the required skills to really be a great DB. There was also a lot of talk he was better suited as a Safety at this level. 

I'm by no means discrediting Foles. I've been a huge Foles defender for yrs even after Wentz went down. Even ask @Deamon who had his doubts on Foles I was fairly vocal about believing in him. I didn't go Shabucks on him but am a Foles believer. This is by no means a slight on Foles. Foles is a good QB but Wentz is a franchise player with top 3 QB in the league potential at this point. It's no guarantee that Wentz plays as well as Foles but I'm more so talking about there were plays by the Eagles left on the field that with Wentz abilities that Foles lacks in (In the most respectful way) he can make those plays. Again like I pointed out in an example the 3rd down that wasn't converted they punted in the 1st QTR or the 2nd where the pass was incomplete. Foles had a running lane and could've gotten the first down. Wentz in there with his mobility goes for the first down I think there. These aren't to discredit Foles in anyway and I apologize if it comes off like that. Those comments were more so comparing one guys weakness and another strength (Mobility). 
Believe it or not I think I agree with Fred here.  He is in no way saying Wentz isn't far better than Foles, but I'm a big believer in how close a win or a loss can be, how one small thing could change anything, etc.  Foles played absolutely insane, nearly a perfect game.  While I think we still win with Wentz, and we could very well have won by more, there's also a chance he lost it.  Maybe he saw a guy wide open that Foles missed, throws it to him, and the receiver misses the catch and tips it and it goes for a pick 6 and we lose.  In that case, the better throw on that play could have lost us the game.  The stars aligned for us (finally), bounces went our way (finally), and Foles played out of his mind. 

i hate saying it, but Meryl sounded off for a lot of the game. First time i think i felt Meryl had gotten too "old". watching his "in the booth" on youtube i am hoping it is just they had far away seats and he was behind on a lot of calls. I know on Ertz's TD he had to check the sheet to see who scored, seemed very "un-Meryl" to forget that Ertz was #86

Users who are viewing this thread