What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 Chargers Thread **** (1 Viewer)

Interestingly enough, it looks like there are only two NFL teams that are already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and they both (currently) play in the Bay area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Badgley set the record for longest Chargers field goal (59 yards) and basically won this game for them. It's been  a while since you could say anything like that about a Charger kicker.

Gr00vus said:
Biggest win for the Chargers in how many years?
biggest win since the steelers game?

Have to say, no Melvin, No Keenan, no excuses.....heck of a good win....sucks that if KC runs the table chargers lose tie breaker cuz of that boneheaded end to the Denver game.

That was a fun game to watch, like the gutzy call by your HC going for 2 and the win.

Rivers is playing his best-ball ever.  He's scary for anyone to face in the playoffs.

They have to keep up the defensive pressure.  Been a long time since Melvin Ingram has gotten to the QB like he did last night.

And you have to give props to old-man Gates.  He looked unstoppable.

Hopefully Allen's hip is OK for the playoff stretch.

You guys have a chance to win it all this year.

biggest win since the steelers game?

Have to say, no Melvin, No Keenan, no excuses.....heck of a good win....sucks that if KC runs the table chargers lose tie breaker cuz of that boneheaded end to the Denver game.
They got some gifts in the Steelers game, this one they earned.

We knew the Bronco game cost them any shot at the division and a bye (they have to beat them again in Denver too). Last night showed me they might be able to get somewhere even without the bye. 

The question now is, given that they've locked up a playoff spot, do you start bubble wrapping some of these guys? I'd like to think winning enough to have a home game would be a goal, but...

Rivers is playing his best-ball ever.  He's scary for anyone to face in the playoffs.
I thought the Rivers December mystique was going to take a big hit last night. Instead he just added to it. He's got to eliminate the INTs though. He'd been doing great with that the first part of the season, but it's starting to creep back in again.

He's got to eliminate the INTs
The interceptions and how he came back impressed me the most of anything from last night's game.

It looked like he blew it but then he clawed his way back and won it.  Very impressive but especially against KC in KC on a nationally televised game where everyone was watching.  

I could 'feeeeeeeel' it coming but was still shocked when Philip pulled it off.  Lots of fun.

That pass to Benjamin was a work of art. Gotta give props to the O Line for the protection too, he only felt pressure a couple of times on those last two drives. Didn't hurt that Jones was injured, but hey, those weren't all the planned starters playing for the Chargers up front either.

I'VE ALWAYS BELIEVED!!  

Really entertaining game.  First game all season I've seen every snap.  That entire last drive I kept saying, "How are they going to blow this one? Missed block? Crappy penalty? Sloppy pass? Horrible play call?" Nothing would have surprised me, but this team has some swagger. They are having fun.  Go. Get. Gates. His. Ring.

Kudos to Benjamin (and others) for the clutch grabs.  

Was thinking about missing key players and decided to look at it week by week:

1. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  2. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  3. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  4. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett
  5. TE Henry, LT Okung, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  6. TE Henry, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  7. RB Gordon, RG Lamp, TE Henry, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  8. Bye
  9. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  10. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  11. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DT Liuget, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  12. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  13. RB Gordon, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  14. RB Gordon, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett
  15. RB Gordon, RB Ekeler, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
Observations:

1. It is hard to assess whether Verrett would have beaten out Williams to start at RCB this season if he had remained healthy. To be conservative, counting WIlliams as the starter, the Chargers have lost 46 defensive starts in 14 games. I don't know how this compares to other teams, but it seems like a lot and thus makes it all the more impressive that the Chargers are #8 in both yards allowed and points allowed. DC Bradley deserves some credit.
  2. Look at that list of key players who missed the KC game Thursday night. 9 players who were expected to start on offense or defense this season, plus 2 others expected to be key reserves. That makes that win that much more impressive.
  3. 11 key players have each missed multiple games. 5 of them (RB Gordon, TE Henry, DE Bosa, NT Mebane, WLB White) are either playing now or should be back in time for the playoffs. (RG Lamp could also play, but it is hard to expect him to make an impact at this point.) That should provide a helpful boost.

Was thinking about missing key players and decided to look at it week by week:

1. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  2. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  3. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, CB Verrett
  4. TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett
  5. TE Henry, LT Okung, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  6. TE Henry, RT Barksdale, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  7. RB Gordon, RG Lamp, TE Henry, DE Bosa, WLB White, CB Verrett
  8. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  9. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DE Bosa, DT Liuget, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  10. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DT Liuget, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  11. TE Henry, RG Lamp, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  12. RB Gordon, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
  13. RB Gordon, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett
  14. RB Gordon, RB Ekeler, TE Henry, RG Lamp, RT Barksdale, DT Liuget, NT Mebane, MLB Perryman, WLB White, CB Verrett, CB Williams
Week 6 was the highlight of Forrest Lamp's career. Anyone know how many snaps he was in for?

Impressive wins in tough games @ PIT and @ KC so far this month. Thought they'd beat the Bengals worse but they seemed to throttle it down after a fast start in that game. Tough matchup this week vs BAL. Sounds like they will get Gordon back and possibly Ekeler and Allen as well. How do folks see this one playing out?

Impressive wins in tough games @ PIT and @ KC so far this month. Thought they'd beat the Bengals worse but they seemed to throttle it down after a fast start in that game. Tough matchup this week vs BAL. Sounds like they will get Gordon back and possibly Ekeler and Allen as well. How do folks see this one playing out?
No clue, seems like it won't be high scoring, but :shrug: . Chargers better take care of the ball if they want to win this one.

well here we are again, been awhile, but pro bowlers lining the roster, could possibly be the #1 seed (not that it matters they have zero home field advantage)

Have to give credit to the GM, last 4 first rounders have been as solid as F....

Maybe just maybe this is the year......

No clue, seems like it won't be high scoring, but :shrug: . Chargers better take care of the ball if they want to win this one.
The reemergence of sloppy Rivers in the first quarter against KC is concerning. They have to keep him upright to avoid the turnovers. I like Benjamin as the mvp he next several weeks on quick dump offs. 

could possibly be the #1 seed (not that it matters they have zero home field advantage)
It absolutely matters. Even if the Chargers don't have a true home field advantage in terms of fan support, they wouldn't have to travel cross country to play in opposing stadiums that do offer that advantage to their teams, and potentially in difficult weather conditions (PIT, NE, KC, BAL). There is no question it matters. It matters a lot.

I've gotta say, now that we're all feeling optimistic, I'm a little concerned about facing Baltimore. They've got an excellent defense (1st in points allowed, yards allowed, and yards per play allowed) and a better rushing attack than any team the Chargers have faced all year. Since their bye week and the installation of Lamar Jackson, Baltimore is averaging 4.9 yards per carry and over 230 yards per game. Obviously, the Chargers haven't faced anything like that this year, but here's how they've performed against some of the better run teams (when considering either rushing yards per game or yards per carry): 

• KC: 114 yds/game at 4.7 YPC (L28-38 & W29-28)
  • BUF: 125 yds/game at 4.2 YPC (W31-20)
  • LAR: 129 yds/game at 4.8 YPC (L23-35)
  • SEA: 155 yds/game at 4.7 YPC (W25-17)
  • DEN: 123 yds/game at 5.0 YPC (L22-23)
In those six games the Chargers are 3-3. 

The Chargers are MUCH better against the run than they have been in the last couple of years though. They held KC (twice) , BAL, OAK (once), AZ, and PIT below their average outputs in both categories. Only LAR, TEN, and OAK (the other time) performed better than their season averages in both statistics.

This team has 3 serious weaknesses, and all were on prominent display last night: OL pass blocking, FS Addae, and poor offensive playcalling. Those are the issues that will likely prevent a deep playoff run.

There is now a very good chance the Chargers will open the playoffs at BAL. We can only hope they can figure out a better game plan based on this week's disaster. It is also true that the Chargers are currently 4-4 in LA this season and 7-0 outside of LA... probably a fluke, but we'll see about that.

I really wish the Chargers would sign Swearinger. I don't know how long it would take him to adjust to the Chargers' defense, but he is much better than Addae, not even close. PFF currently ranks him as the 3rd best FS in the league this season, among those who played at least 250 snaps.

Heck, I'd like it if they would sign him as much for the future as for right now. He is 27. They can release or trade Addae this offseason with just $1M in dead cap money, saving $5M off the 2019 cap. Swearinger was due to make $4.5M in 2019 under his Redskins contract, so they could cover all or most of the cost to sign him by releasing/trading Addae.

I see 3 problems:

1. It is not Telesco's style to make a big splash free agent signing, which is what this would be. Especially not a player who was just released because of insubordination, if you want to call it that.
  2. It is Lynn's style to be loyal to "his guys," and Addae is presumably one of his guys.
  3. Even if Telesco and Lynn are all in, can they make the best offer? At least they could argue that he would be joining a team with a shot at the Super Bowl, and most teams can't credibly say that.

Chargers being the Chargers....had a real chance to put some heat on KC going into SEA.....have fun in BALT....

I really wish the Chargers would sign Swearinger. I don't know how long it would take him to adjust to the Chargers' defense, but he is much better than Addae, not even close. PFF currently ranks him as the 3rd best FS in the league this season, among those who played at least 250 snaps.
Swearinger claimed by ariz

Was it just me or did Gordon not look quite right in that game? Is Ekeler coming back any time soon?

They really stunk it up all around vs. Baltimore. Baltimore is a good team, especially that defense, but the Chargers put in a miserable showing. Not what you want to see at this point in the season.

Was it just me or did Gordon not look quite right in that game? Is Ekeler coming back any time soon?

They really stunk it up all around vs. Baltimore. Baltimore is a good team, especially that defense, but the Chargers put in a miserable showing. Not what you want to see at this point in the season.
Gordon did not look right at all. 

Agree Gordon looked off. Not sure if that was because he was less than 100%, rusty after 4 weeks off, lousy playcalling, or the BAL defense... probably a combination of all of those things.

Ekeler is expected back this week.

I really think that was the Chargers' worst game against Baltimore's best game, and the Chargers were in position to win the game late until Gates fumbled on a great play made by the defender. If the Chargers end up playing at BAL in the playoffs, I think they have a great chance to win the game... Ekeler will play, which helps the offense... they have film on the BAL pass rush and coverages, which (we can only hope) will help Rivers and offensive playcalling... and the defense really just needs to repeat its performance, despite the fact that they allowed a 68 yard TD pass and a 43 yard run, and they will also have film to help them tighten up.

Agree Gordon looked off. Not sure if that was because he was less than 100%, rusty after 4 weeks off, lousy playcalling, or the BAL defense... probably a combination of all of those things.

Ekeler is expected back this week.

I really think that was the Chargers' worst game against Baltimore's best game, and the Chargers were in position to win the game late until Gates fumbled on a great play made by the defender. If the Chargers end up playing at BAL in the playoffs, I think they have a great chance to win the game... Ekeler will play, which helps the offense... they have film on the BAL pass rush and coverages, which (we can only hope) will help Rivers and offensive playcalling... and the defense really just needs to repeat its performance, despite the fact that they allowed a 68 yard TD pass and a 43 yard run, and they will also have film to help them tighten up.
They've got to clean up the offensive line play. They let up way too much pressure on Rivers.

They've got to clean up the offensive line play. They let up way too much pressure on Rivers.
Agreed, per PFF he was pressured on ~62% of his dropbacks in the game. But even more important is where it comes from. Rivers' lack of mobility means it is worse if it comes up the middle, and it seemed like that is where BAL got most of its pressure. They have to do something to address that.

Just Win Baby said:
Agreed, per PFF he was pressured on ~62% of his dropbacks in the game. But even more important is where it comes from. Rivers' lack of mobility means it is worse if it comes up the middle, and it seemed like that is where BAL got most of its pressure. They have to do something to address that.
Yep, the pocket was collapsing immediately after snap right up the middle way too many times.

Only one West Coast team has to travel to an East Coast time zone this weekend, and they schedule that as the early game. I realize that television plays a big part in what game gets played when, but that seems like a uniquely unfair advantage for a team with two more wins on the season than the team they are facing.

Only one West Coast team has to travel to an East Coast time zone this weekend, and they schedule that as the early game. I realize that television plays a big part in what game gets played when, but that seems like a uniquely unfair advantage for a team with two more wins on the season than the team they are facing.
just playing devils advocate but would it make you feel better if they had the same record or even a worse one..?....either way I guess you could just say "win more games".....LAC had their opportunities including week one at home against the Chiefs....a head to head against the team they are getting ready to play....and a home loss to the hapless Broncos because Rivers didn't take the sack....win any of those and they aren't even playing this weekend, and you don't have to worry about it....so I doubt anybody really feels sorry for them....but yeah, TV and star power dictates a lot of that....with that said, I will say it is kind of surprising to see the Chiefs not get any prime time love next week either as they play the early Saturday game...

I could be wrong but for the playoffs the AFC teams are always the early games.

just playing devils advocate but would it make you feel better if they had the same record or even a worse one..?....either way I guess you could just say "win more games".....LAC had their opportunities including week one at home against the Chiefs....a head to head against the team they are getting ready to play....and a home loss to the hapless Broncos because Rivers didn't take the sack....win any of those and they aren't even playing this weekend, and you don't have to worry about it....so I doubt anybody really feels sorry for them....but yeah, TV and star power dictates a lot of that....with that said, I will say it is kind of surprising to see the Chiefs not get any prime time love next week either as they play the early Saturday game...
Yes, it would. I agree that if a handful of things fall differently that they are the #1 seed instead of the #5 seed, but arbitrarily determined divisions seems like a poor reason to force the team that tied for the best record in the conference on the road. Statistically, we know that sending a Pacific time zone team to play an early match in the Eastern time zone creates a larger disparity in likelihood of victory than virtually any other condition, so why impose it on a team when there's no need to, especially a team that's only on the road due to an arbitrary condition imposed on it by the league?

As far as nobody else feeling sorry for them, I didn't even really consider it until I heard a sports podcast from Washington DC talking about how unfair it was to do something like this to a good team in the playoffs.

The early game for the Chiefs next week won't have nearly the impact as they aren't crossing any time zones.

Despyzer said:
Yes, it would. I agree that if a handful of things fall differently that they are the #1 seed instead of the #5 seed, but arbitrarily determined divisions seems like a poor reason to force the team that tied for the best record in the conference on the road. Statistically, we know that sending a Pacific time zone team to play an early match in the Eastern time zone creates a larger disparity in likelihood of victory than virtually any other condition, so why impose it on a team when there's no need to, especially a team that's only on the road due to an arbitrary condition imposed on it by the league?

As far as nobody else feeling sorry for them, I didn't even really consider it until I heard a sports podcast from Washington DC talking about how unfair it was to do something like this to a good team in the playoffs.

The early game for the Chiefs next week won't have nearly the impact as they aren't crossing any time zones.
I guess my thing too is that even tho maybe the "stats back it up"...I pretty much give zero credit to any type of travel/time zone/game time thing....they seem to be automatic built in excuses that people throw out there and that teams can fall back on....even before the game is even played...plenty of teams travel across country and play games in different time zones and at different times of the day and they win...these guys/ teams are professionals and this is what they do for a living, they should have stuff like this figured out by now...it's part of the business...all of the teams know how it works ahead of time (the division winners get a home game, etc)....its not a surprise....if the NFL starts trying to "be nice" to everybody and take things like this into consideration every time...which they would have to do if they even admitted to doing it one time .scheduling would be a nightmare....suck it up sally would be my response, put on your big boy pants and go win the game.....or win more games earlier and take care of it yourself...

Despyzer said:

my comment about the Chiefs wasn't really about the time zone thing....more the "entertainment" prime time factor....I would have thought with the Chiefs being a part of some of the more exciting game of the year type games this year, having a #1 seed, and some exciting young NFL talent, I would have thought a prime time game was a no brainer.....but I guess as the #1 seed they get to play a team with one less day of rest, so its all good for them....

I guess my thing too is that even tho maybe the "stats back it up"...I pretty much give zero credit to any type of travel/time zone/game time thing....they seem to be automatic built in excuses that people throw out there and that teams can fall back on....even before the game is even played...plenty of teams travel across country and play games in different time zones and at different times of the day and they win...these guys/ teams are professionals and this is what they do for a living, they should have stuff like this figured out by now...it's part of the business...all of the teams know how it works ahead of time (the division winners get a home game, etc)....its not a surprise....if the NFL starts trying to "be nice" to everybody and take things like this into consideration every time...which they would have to do if they even admitted to doing it one time .scheduling would be a nightmare....suck it up sally would be my response, put on your big boy pants and go win the game.....or win more games earlier and take care of it yourself...
And I'm sure they will. These are just my thoughts, not those of the players, coaches, management, or ownership.

I guess I don't have as much experience with making excuses for postseason losses as some fan-bases do.

Stinkin Ref said:
just playing devils advocate
Why? This is a Chargers thread, we don't need anti-Chargers devils advocates in here.

Take it to the Broncos thread, oh wait, there isn't really any active Broncos thread going, is there? Well, maybe if you want to talk about who you can get to take over as head coach... and QB? :boxing:

Despyzer said:
In fairness, here is the playoff schedule:

• Colts at Texans at 4:35 pm EST on Saturday
  • Seahawks at Cowboys at 8:15 pm EST on Saturday
  • Chargers at Ravens at 1:05 pm EST on Sunday
  • Eagles at Bears at 4:40 pm EST on Sunday
Given that the league/media partners clearly prefer Seahawks-Cowboys and Eagles-Bears in the later games, the only way to do what you are suggesting would be to swap the AFC games. In that case, the Chargers would play at 4:35 pm EST instead of 1:05 pm EST... good for the circadian rhythm... but one day earlier. Given they have to travel cross country, I suspect the league would think they are doing the right thing for the Chargers to give them the extra day for travel.

:shrug:  

for some reason I have a quiet confidence this week. I think as bad as the chargers played vs Baltimore last time, they were marching to win the game in the 4th quarter until Gates fumbled.

I think seeing the Balt Off and seeing their Def just a few weeks ago will be big. Need a 100% Melvin Gordon but I don't think that is in the cards.

Bad Phil has showed up the past 3 games or so, he needs 0 turnovers, time to do it Phil.

Why? This is a Chargers thread, we don't need anti-Chargers devils advocates in here.

Take it to the Broncos thread, oh wait, there isn't really any active Broncos thread going, is there? Well, maybe if you want to talk about who you can get to take over as head coach... and QB? :boxing:
That would be fine and dandy but I hate the Broncos more than other team....diehard KC transplanted to CO.....lol

Users who are viewing this thread