What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

My current wish list order is this:

1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

2. McDermott- Bringing a defensive guy in and letting Shurmer run the offensive is appealing. Bradford's relationship with Shurmur is a plus. If this happens, I'd like to make a run at Petine for DC. He's a local guy and he and McDermott together would be great

3. Payton- He'd be number one if it wouldn't cost us a couple of picks. As with Gase, bringing him in requires getting a real solid DC. And Payton didn't have much luck doing that in New Orleans.
My only worry with Gase is that I'm not sure he will keep Shurmur. Starting to warm up to the idea of not having Shurmur though. Of course I want him, but have to think that Gase will bring all his own guys in. Jim Bob is likely our OC if we get Gase, even though I'll hope he keeps Shurmur.

With McDermott, I think he'd bring his own guy in at DC. Doubt it's Petine. I see McDermott bringing a guy in with experience, but not a ex head coach who may overstep boundries.

Again don't think Payton goes anywhere. And it would cost us picks. And I'm not even really sold that he's an amazing can't miss coach.
Payton already issued a statement that he wasn't leaving N.O.

RE: Gase and Shurmur. Which is more desirable, the head coach or the QB? If Gase was the best HC option but you'd lose Shurmur/Bradford would the fans be OK with that? What if the alternative was Pederson/Shurmur/Bradford? I think I want the better coach.
I'd rather have Shurmur/Bradford than Gase/Sanchez. I'd need to know Gase's plan at QB. Losing Bradford and rolling the dice that a quality NFL starter sits at #13 of the draft scares the crap out of me.
But what if you compromise on the coach and Bradford leaves after next year anyway and Gase goes on to have great coaching career elsewhere? Or worse, Bradford gets injured again after passing on Gase?
Ya that would suck. I don't think we'll pass on Gase because of Bradford as an organization. And again, if we hire Gase, we can have Bradford too. Shurmur may only help us lock him up long term. Gase is QB Guru, not Shurmur. Gase is the guy that can get the best out of Bradford.

Don't think Payton is going anywhere. Wish we would hear something about McDaniels' interest in leaving. Those Pats keep things quiet pretty good though. Even though I'd rather Gase over McDaniels, the more guys we have available, the better the chances we have at landing someone we want. If Gase signs with Miami/Cleveland, we may be forced to take Pederson or McDermott at this point.

1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

2. McDermott- Bringing a defensive guy in and letting Shurmer run the offensive is appealing. Bradford's relationship with Shurmur is a plus. If this happens, I'd like to make a run at Petine for DC. He's a local guy and he and McDermott together would be great

3. Payton- He'd be number one if it wouldn't cost us a couple of picks. As with Gase, bringing him in requires getting a real solid DC. And Payton didn't have much luck doing that in New Orleans.
My biggest issue with a guy like Gase or any of the hot names is going after a big named coach or hot name doesn't seem to work IMO

I was just looking at all the teams in the playoffs right now and which one of their HC's was the "hot name" or "genius" when they got their first HC job?
Arians was a decent hot name. He just won Coach Of the Year when Arizona signed him.

Kubiak was a pretty big name too. As was Andy Reid.

We are all assuming that Bradford would be mad is Shurmur isn't retained in some form, but he may have heard good things about Gase and would love to play for him. There are a lot of intangibles that we, as fans, don't know. Maybe Gase is Bradford's top choice? Who knows.

Yeah not being argumentative - it was a question I posed to myself and I wasn't sure how I felt. Bigboy brings up a good point as well. It all seems like such a crap shoot. Uncertain but exciting times.

What do you guys think the market will be for Shurmur to go be OC somewhere else next season if Gase brings his own guy in?

I know its a major downgrade when you get a head coaching interview, but if Gase brings in his OC, would there be ANY chance in hell that Shurmur could be QB Coach? Or would he be scooped up for another OC job right away.

If you look at the teams with coaching openings, I like where Philly stands in terms of desirability.

I guess it could be argued that the Giants would be somewhat appealing too, because Eli is a multiple Super Bowl winning quarterback and Beckham is a top 3 WR in the league.

Tennessee could be appealing because of low expectations and very little pressure. Not exactly a passionate fan base. And Mariota is a great prospect.

Cleveland is a disaster. Sanchez may actually be better than any QB on that roster. And their best players are offensive lineman that both may be leaving via free agency.

San Francisco also doesn't have a quarterback, although they have a ton of draft picks in the next two years. It's also a great football city with a great history. That may be appealing if the coach wants a three year rebuild project.

Philly has a QB in place (if they sign him), a top lineman in Cox and a future all pro linebacker in Hicks. They are a few pieces away from being a contender right now. And they play in a weak division. It's a tough football town with very little patience, but it sure is passionate.

JuniorNB said:
We are all assuming that Bradford would be mad is Shurmur isn't retained in some form, but he may have heard good things about Gase and would love to play for him. There are a lot of intangibles that we, as fans, don't know. Maybe Gase is Bradford's top choice? Who knows.
Absolutely. Possible we get the best of both - Gase is hired, retains Shurmur for the sake of continuity and Bradford is a big fan of both. We're due for a break like that.

What do you guys think the market will be for Shurmur to go be OC somewhere else next season if Gase brings his own guy in?

I know its a major downgrade when you get a head coaching interview, but if Gase brings in his OC, would there be ANY chance in hell that Shurmur could be QB Coach? Or would he be scooped up for another OC job right away.
If Kelly lands a job, I could see him bringing him along. Other than that, I haven't heard of anyone being interested.

If you look at the teams with coaching openings, I like where Philly stands in terms of desirability.

I guess it could be argued that the Giants would be somewhat appealing too, because Eli is a multiple Super Bowl winning quarterback and Beckham is a top 3 WR in the league.

Tennessee could be appealing because of low expectations and very little pressure. Not exactly a passionate fan base. And Mariota is a great prospect.

Cleveland is a disaster. Sanchez may actually be better than any QB on that roster. And their best players are offensive lineman that both may be leaving via free agency.

San Francisco also doesn't have a quarterback, although they have a ton of draft picks in the next two years. It's also a great football city with a great history. That may be appealing if the coach wants a three year rebuild project.

Philly has a QB in place (if they sign him), a top lineman in Cox and a future all pro linebacker in Hicks. They are a few pieces away from being a contender right now. And they play in a weak division. It's a tough football town with very little patience, but it sure is passionate.
I think NYG would be at the top. Not only Eli and Beckham, but the organization. SF could also be more desirable just for the history and location. Not that I think Philly's a negative but they have to fit in here and know what they're getting into.

JuniorNB said:
Absolutely. Possible we get the best of both - Gase is hired, retains Shurmur for the sake of continuity and Bradford is a big fan of both. We're due for a break like that.
That would be nice haha. And if Cooter comes along with Gase, and Shurmur agrees to be QB coach, and Sam signs a deal, that would be the best of everything given our situation.

I think NYG would be at the top. Not only Eli and Beckham, but the organization. SF could also be more desirable just for the history and location. Not that I think Philly's a negative but they have to fit in here and know what they're getting into.
Ya it totally depends on the coach. Maybe he loves a certain city, organization, weather, etc. Cleveland could give a ton of control over to a new coach which they may want. Tennessee I actually see as attractive for a new coach too. When else do you get to walk into a situation where you get to live in Nashville, take over a team with a good young franchise QB, and have NOWHERE to go but up? They're a lock to win 4 games next year I'd say, and then you already look like you've improved the team.

I think San Fran would be pretty desirable from a franchise perspective, and city perspective too. NY is probably safer and more stable of a gig so I'd probably put them at #1. Has Gase set up an interview with the Giants yet? Boy would that suck if they landed him.

Deamon said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:
Don't think Payton is going anywhere. Wish we would hear something about McDaniels' interest in leaving. Those Pats keep things quiet pretty good though. Even though I'd rather Gase over McDaniels, the more guys we have available, the better the chances we have at landing someone we want. If Gase signs with Miami/Cleveland, we may be forced to take Pederson or McDermott at this point.
My current wish list order is this:1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

My biggest issue with a guy like Gase or any of the hot names is going after a big named coach or hot name doesn't seem to work IMO

I was just looking at all the teams in the playoffs right now and which one of their HC's was the "hot name" or "genius" when they got their first HC job?
Arians was a decent hot name. He just won Coach Of the Year when Arizona signed him. Kubiak was a pretty big name too. As was Andy Reid.
Deamon said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:
My current wish list order is this:1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

Arians was a decent hot name. He just won Coach Of the Year when Arizona signed him. Kubiak was a pretty big name too. As was Andy Reid.
Going further back, Bellicheck and Marvin Lewis were hot commodities when acquired by their current teams as well. Seems fairly common.

Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:

Rivera? Kubiak? Hou coach?

Deamon said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:

Arians was a decent hot name. He just won Coach Of the Year when Arizona signed him.

I mean when they first had their shot at HC'ing/. Arians was considered a failure in Pittsburgh...they let his contract go and replaced him with Todd Haley of all people. I cant imagine anyone, in Indy, was thrilled to have him as HC at that time.

Andy Reid was a relative unknown when he became HC here

I guess maybe Kubiak was kind of a big name when he went to Houston because of his success in Denver but even still was fired in Houston before the end of his deal

Gase smells like a McDanials/ Chip type to me. I just worry when I hear genius or guru with a guy just getting his first shot at being a HC.

Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:

Rivera? Kubiak? Hou coach?
A lot of the smell was off O'Brien when he declined to leave PSU after having a good season in year one. He didn't have nearly the hype the 2nd season

I don't remember Rivera being a "hot name" at all after leaving SD

Even Belecheck had some stink on him his first shot at HC

Deamon said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:

I mean when they first had their shot at HC'ing/. Arians was considered a failure in Pittsburgh...they let his contract go and replaced him with Todd Haley of all people. I cant imagine anyone, in Indy, was thrilled to have him as HC at that time.

I guess maybe Kubiak was kind of a big name when he went to Houston because of his success in Denver but even still was fired in Houston before the end of his deal

Gase smells like a McDanials/ Chip type to me. I just worry when I hear genius or guru with a guy just getting his first shot at being a HC.
Makes sense. Without getting too much into Chip though, I still think he can be a good COACH in the league. I think they have comparisons in that they are known for being innovative, offensive minded up and comers. Chip's main issue it seems was getting along with people though, not the fact that his bright offensive mind completely failed miserably. Gase seems like a guy that everyone gets along with, and has a lot of experience around NFL guys, that Chip didn't.

Seems to me that he may have some of the attributes we wanted from Chip (offensive, creative, innovative mind), and the attributes we want from a Hue type (some NFL experience, well-liked, etc.) Best of both worlds maybe?

I should have added Marvin Lewis--he had some hype when he was hired

I don't disagree about Chip...hell, he'd fit the build of all the other guys I mentioned. Flop first succeed later

I was in the car on the way home and Innes was mentioning the same kind of this I was....just something about what theyre saying about Gase doesn't quite site right with me. He almost feels like how people peddled McDanials before he went to Denver

Eliot Shorr-Parks Verified account ‏@EliotShorrParks 7h7 hours ago

Just talked with an agent about Adam Gase. Said everyone he knows thinks Gase is a "rising superstar".

Let's hope its not just hype that we get excited for and get let down. Seems to be the story of our fandem though.

Jeff McLane Verified account ‏@Jeff_McLane 8h8 hours ago

#Eagles interviewed Adam Gase approx. 8 hrs. Like Howie Roseman, doesn't come from traditional football background. Didn't play in college.

Finally something on the interview. It seems like during our last coaching hunt, and in other ones around the league recently, we've heard how long the interview was, what car the guy showed up in, what chair they sat in and what time they took a break for dinner. Not much on the Gase one, but I like that it was a long 8 hour interview.

Pretty cool write up from La Canfora saying Gase is the perfect fit for the Eagles.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/06/la-canfora-adam-gase/

Good blurb from it here:

“Adam Gase to me, whether you like it or not, to me it makes sense. His father-in-law is Joe Vitt. [Vitt is] very familiar with organization, he obviously coached there [from 1995-1998 as a linebackers coach]. He grew up an Eagles fan. Adam, those guys have a summer house down the shore — like Ocean City, not far away. They’re familiar with area, he wouldn’t be intimidated by the environment. They’ve gotta figure out the quarterback position right? I mean that’s where they are. That’s gotta be paramount. This guy, whether he’s done it with [Tim] Tebow, or Peyton [Manning], or whomever. You look at his lineage, the time he’s spent with guys like Mike Martz. I just think he’s born for this."

Deamon said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
JuniorNB said:
Deamon said:

Just to be clear on Kubiak, he coached in Houston 8 years. He got an extension of his first contract.

How is this not our guy?

Chad Hanie: “We got along really well,” Hanie said. “He gets it. He’s a guy that knows how to relate to younger people. He’s real down to Earth and he’s just one of the guys...... To get a guy to go all-in for you, you have to first get him on your side,” Hanie said. “It’s a simple formula. Just be nice. Actually care about what’s going on in the guy’s personal life, and then the player will respond...... Good coaches don’t need to be your friend, but you need to have a great working relationship and there has to be a trust factor. I trust Goose with my life. I know he believes in me and he’ll put me in the best position to succeed.”

Adam Weber discussed how Gase “speaks the same language” as his players, and that he communicates very well, particularly during practice. Weber also said he was “very impressed” with how approachable Gase was.

I'm cool with any of the coordinators. I don't like former HCs. Just my preference. I've soured on McDaniels again from what I've read.

I prefer a guy getting his first shot because he's got the fire to succeed. He may never get a chance again. Retread coaches are good at maintaining the status quo or are just outright failures. Some do win it all but very few.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Chip, he probably should have been an OC in the NFL first to get his legs under him on how the league works. His career was OC at NH. OC at Oregon. HC at Oregon. NFL OC or position coach is the next logical step. Unfortunately he was just too hyped from how different his offense was. He got to cut in line so to speak which probably rubbed NFL coaching vets like Arians the wrong way right off the bat. Winning 10 games his first year only made it worse. Had he paid his dues first as an OC and gained experience in the league, he'd have been the hot HC candidate within 3 years anyway and have a better idea on how to approach the job.

But what you gonna do when some says here's $6mil a year, be our Head Coach.

This all well and good fellas discussing who's gonna be our ultimate wet dream combo of offensive minded HC, OC and QB coach but....

Who's gonna be running the D!?

Please not Davis. Please.

As for Chip, he probably should have been an OC in the NFL first to get his legs under him on how the league works. His career was OC at NH. OC at Oregon. HC at Oregon. NFL OC or position coach is the next logical step. Unfortunately he was just too hyped from how different his offense was. He got to cut in line so to speak which probably rubbed NFL coaching vets like Arians the wrong way right off the bat. Winning 10 games his first year only made it worse. Had he paid his dues first as an OC and gained experience in the league, he'd have been the hot HC candidate within 3 years anyway and have a better idea on how to approach the job.

But what you gonna do when some says here's $6mil a year, be our Head Coach.
I don't know. What P5 head coaches have voluntarily left to become coordinators in the NFL?

I'm cool with any of the coordinators. I don't like former HCs. Just my preference. I've soured on McDaniels again from what I've read.

I prefer a guy getting his first shot because he's got the fire to succeed. He may never get a chance again. Retread coaches are good at maintaining the status quo or are just outright failures. Some do win it all but very few.
Although I agree with your point, note that 3 of the last 4 - Coughlin, Carroll, Belichick - are exactly that.

I just hope if it is Gase that he's been around long enough and has some connections with other coaches. That's another thing I think hurt Chip. Way to many first and second year coaches all over the staff.

Looking like most believe the 'MIA not letting Gases leave' report stemmed from Gase's agent. Trying to create urgency. Has met with CLE already, MIA tomorrow and NYG Friday. He's in demand, agent trying to get a him/them a better deal.

Although I agree with your point, note that 3 of the last 4 - Coughlin, Carroll, Belichick - are exactly that.
Actually after I thought about it, 10 of the last 15 were retread coaches. Granted 6 of them were from 2 guys and the one beat the other in his 2 wins. So hey, bring on Josh McDaniels!

Actually after I thought about it, 10 of the last 15 were retread coaches. Granted 6 of them were from 2 guys and the one beat the other in his 2 wins. So hey, bring on Josh McDaniels!
I actually figured this out for every SB-winning coach a year or 2 ago and it is posted on this board somewhere. Because I don't have too much time on my hands or anything.

Pretty cool write up from La Canfora saying Gase is the perfect fit for the Eagles.

Good blurb from it here:

“Adam Gase to me, whether you like it or not, to me it makes sense. His father-in-law is Joe Vitt. [Vitt is] very familiar with organization, he obviously coached there [from 1995-1998 as a linebackers coach]. He grew up an Eagles fan. Adam, those guys have a summer house down the shore — like Ocean City, not far away. They’re familiar with area, he wouldn’t be intimidated by the environment. They’ve gotta figure out the quarterback position right? I mean that’s where they are. That’s gotta be paramount. This guy, whether he’s done it with [Tim] Tebow, or Peyton [Manning], or whomever. You look at his lineage, the time he’s spent with guys like Mike Martz. I just think he’s born for this."
i have to disagree. i could care less if the dude knows anything about the jersey shore or anything. Was Buddy Ryan a philly guy? i really hope they stop feeding into some of the insanity and end these Philly-ties

Good blurb from it here:

Adam Gase to me, whether you like it or not, to me it makes sense. His father-in-law is Joe Vitt. [Vitt is] very familiar with organization, he obviously coached there [from 1995-1998 as a linebackers coach]. He grew up an Eagles fan. Adam, those guys have a summer house down the shore like Ocean City, not far away. Theyre familiar with area, he wouldnt be intimidated by the environment. Theyve gotta figure out the quarterback position right? I mean thats where they are. Thats gotta be paramount. This guy, whether hes done it with [Tim] Tebow, or Peyton [Manning], or whomever. You look at his lineage, the time hes spent with guys like Mike Martz. I just think hes born for this."
i have to disagree. i could care less if the dude knows anything about the jersey shore or anything. Was Buddy Ryan a philly guy? i really hope they stop feeding into some of the insanity and end these Philly-ties
I agree. Reid wasn't a Philly guy. Buddy wasn't. Vermeil wasn't. Dallas Green wasn't. Charlie wasn't. Fred Shero wasn't.

What difference does it make if they are from Philly or played for Philly before.

Looking like most believe the 'MIA not letting Gases leave' report stemmed from Gase's agent. Trying to create urgency. Has met with CLE already, MIA tomorrow and NYG Friday. He's in demand, agent trying to get a him/them a better deal.
I thought he was in Philly again Friday. He's in NY Fri and us Sat? Just get him back here and sign him.

Good blurb from it here:

Adam Gase to me, whether you like it or not, to me it makes sense. His father-in-law is Joe Vitt. [Vitt is] very familiar with organization, he obviously coached there [from 1995-1998 as a linebackers coach]. He grew up an Eagles fan. Adam, those guys have a summer house down the shore like Ocean City, not far away. Theyre familiar with area, he wouldnt be intimidated by the environment. Theyve gotta figure out the quarterback position right? I mean thats where they are. Thats gotta be paramount. This guy, whether hes done it with [Tim] Tebow, or Peyton [Manning], or whomever. You look at his lineage, the time hes spent with guys like Mike Martz. I just think hes born for this."
I agree. Reid wasn't a Philly guy. Buddy wasn't. Vermeil wasn't. Dallas Green wasn't. Charlie wasn't. Fred Shero wasn't.

What difference does it make if they are from Philly or played for Philly before.
All that matters is that Lurie obviously cares about Philly ties

Good blurb from it here:

I agree. Reid wasn't a Philly guy. Buddy wasn't. Vermeil wasn't. Dallas Green wasn't. Charlie wasn't. Fred Shero wasn't.What difference does it make if they are from Philly or played for Philly before.
Does he though? It doesn't really say anywhere what Lurie wants except he wants some one who communicates better.

Good blurb from it here:

I agree. Reid wasn't a Philly guy. Buddy wasn't. Vermeil wasn't. Dallas Green wasn't. Charlie wasn't. Fred Shero wasn't.What difference does it make if they are from Philly or played for Philly before.
Does he though? It doesn't really say anywhere what Lurie wants except he wants some one who communicates better.
I thought there was a big deal he made the other day about wanting someone with Philly ties and who knows the city. I'll try to find it.

EDT: Found this in the 2015 thread I think MM posted:

"Lurie, in his press conference discussing the new coach and what he was looking for, mentioned he wants someone who is familiar with Philadelphia and knows what an opportunity it is to represent a passionate fan base like ours. Also hinted directly/strongly at a return to the Reid era."

Good blurb from it here:

I thought there was a big deal he made the other day about wanting someone with Philly ties and who knows the city. I'll try to find it.EDT: Found this in the 2015 thread I think MM posted:

"Lurie, in his press conference discussing the new coach and what he was looking for, mentioned he wants someone who is familiar with Philadelphia and knows what an opportunity it is to represent a passionate fan base like ours. Also hinted directly/strongly at a return to the Reid era."
Familiar with doesn't necessarily mean he's from the area. A lot of people may get how we operate without ever having lived here.

Eagles made official requests to interview CIN DC Guenther, TB OC Koetter.

Interviewing McAdoo today, Gase pt. 2 Saturday or Sunday

Rothenthal on NFL.com ranks TB and TEN top 2 jobs (b/c Winston, Mariota). The NY and PHI 3 and 4...followed by the MIA/CLE/SF jobs which he thinks will be hard sells to the top candidates.

If I'm Gase, a 'QB mentor is my strength' kind of candidate, I would like the TB and TEN jobs too.

I guess I don't get Tampa and Tennessee being super-desirable because of their QBs. They didn't stink up the joint but they weren't exactly the second coming of Marino and Elway either. Meanwhile, Tampa's FO situation and ownership seems even more Machiavellian than Philly's, and Tennessee has been adrift as an organization for several years.

I guess I don't get Tampa and Tennessee being super-desirable because of their QBs. They didn't stink up the joint but they weren't exactly the second coming of Marino and Elway either. Meanwhile, Tampa's FO situation and ownership seems even more Machiavellian than Philly's, and Tennessee has been adrift as an organization for several years.
If I'm a prospective coach deciding between a couple teams, it would scare me that Tampa Bay fired Lovie Smith after taking them from 2 wins to 6 wins. With a rookie quarterback. It would certainly make me feel like I have a very short leash.

Users who are viewing this thread