What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

so i know the NFL wouldn't allow this, and it not something done in the NFL as of yet, but let's suppose Bradford doesn't want to sign and he leaves the Eagles (my guess is they franchise him if they have to). But if he does leave, we can all agree they really have pretty crappy options. I have revisited my idea of grabbing a QB if the value isn't there, and am wondering what would happen if the Eagles chose to "tank".

i don't think they would be allowed to, and it isn't as easy as it can be in the NBA, but i think this would be the best option for them. however, if they were to put themselves in a position to get a top 3 pick, it would seem to set them up real nice with the ability to grab a top young QB next year (i would have to think there would be at least one QB that can be viewed as an NFL QB). I'm sure this would be looked at pretty harshly, and would be a tough sell to the veteran players, especially those with maybe only a few years left, but as a 1 year plan would this not be the most feasible option?

P.S. I think i already miss football, even without absolutely atrocious this year was for the Eagles :(
You'll just never sell this to existing players. Too short of a season, and too many quick turnarounds happen. Going from 7-9 to a contender can and has happened in a year.
for me, i just love the idea of getting a franchise QB, and unless you bring on a coach/scout that can pick that talent out where others don't see it (that is why i love the McDermott-Norman story) like a Brady or even a Russel Wilson, i don't think you have much of a chance. The Palmer resurgence is nice, but look at most of the other teams in the playoffs. Most have that franchise QB, and maybe Bradford has a chance to be that.

i just would like to see the Eagles hire someone who has an eye for those things (like Chip's pick of Jordan Hicks i think we can say), and something we can build around. the defense seems to have some of those pieces, but it still has holes that we seem to all want to rely on Billy Davis being chopped being the answer. i would love if that is it, but i worry it may not be

so i know the NFL wouldn't allow this, and it not something done in the NFL as of yet, but let's suppose Bradford doesn't want to sign and he leaves the Eagles (my guess is they franchise him if they have to). But if he does leave, we can all agree they really have pretty crappy options. I have revisited my idea of grabbing a QB if the value isn't there, and am wondering what would happen if the Eagles chose to "tank".

i don't think they would be allowed to, and it isn't as easy as it can be in the NBA, but i think this would be the best option for them. however, if they were to put themselves in a position to get a top 3 pick, it would seem to set them up real nice with the ability to grab a top young QB next year (i would have to think there would be at least one QB that can be viewed as an NFL QB). I'm sure this would be looked at pretty harshly, and would be a tough sell to the veteran players, especially those with maybe only a few years left, but as a 1 year plan would this not be the most feasible option?

P.S. I think i already miss football, even without absolutely atrocious this year was for the Eagles :(
You'll just never sell this to existing players. Too short of a season, and too many quick turnarounds happen. Going from 7-9 to a contender can and has happened in a year.
for me, i just love the idea of getting a franchise QB, and unless you bring on a coach/scout that can pick that talent out where others don't see it (that is why i love the McDermott-Norman story) like a Brady or even a Russel Wilson, i don't think you have much of a chance. The Palmer resurgence is nice, but look at most of the other teams in the playoffs. Most have that franchise QB, and maybe Bradford has a chance to be that.

i just would like to see the Eagles hire someone who has an eye for those things (like Chip's pick of Jordan Hicks i think we can say), and something we can build around. the defense seems to have some of those pieces, but it still has holes that we seem to all want to rely on Billy Davis being chopped being the answer. i would love if that is it, but i worry it may not be
Unless you can time it perfectly, like the Colts did for Luck, it's super risky. Look at 2013, the Eagles drafted 4th and no QB went until pick 16, and that was EJ Manuel. Plus players change teams so often, and their careers are so short compared to other sports, they'd never tank for a team. They would only tank for themselves, like Desean when he didn't like his contract.

To me, best bet is signing Bradford and taking shots at QBs in the 3rd/4th rounds and hope you get lucky and develop someone. Or better yet, hope Bradford is the guy for the next 5-10 years.

Tanking in the NFL is NEVER a good idea. The amount of money/fans you lose, the public shaming you'd get for 'losing on purpose' and harming the game, the likelihood that you won't even get the #1 pick and that there won't even be a QB there. Or maybe you tank to #2 and the only good qb goes #1. Would just completely not be possible or worth it.

GoBirds said:
No leaks on how Gase interview went?

Good point on Davis......fire him already please.
Pretty shocked on this too. I still can't find much on how the interview went and if he left on a plane to his next stop or how that went.

Tanking in the NFL is NEVER a good idea. The amount of money/fans you lose, the public shaming you'd get for 'losing on purpose' and harming the game, the likelihood that you won't even get the #1 pick and that there won't even be a QB there. Or maybe you tank to #2 and the only good qb goes #1. Would just completely not be possible or worth it.
Not to mention the horror show that is the 76s. I will NEVER by a ticket to see them. It's an absolute disgrace. This city has endured two monumentally colossal mistakes at the same time. At least Hinkey has been stripped of some power but what a joke. A sick joke.

Skins signed Cary WIlliams. :D
He's about their 15th DB this year. They all keep getting hurt.

I need to know: is he worse than Biggers?
"The barbarians drive us to the sea, the sea drives us to the barbarians, between these two means of death we are either killed or drowned."

or

"E.J. Biggers drives us to points allowed, the points allowed drives us to Cary Williams, between these two means of defensive ineptitude we are either beaten deep or beaten short but we are surely beaten.'

At least we don't have to lock him up till next year - if he does well again next year, we'll probably be looking at a 6 yr, 70-80 mill contract.
Could be more expensive next year depending. He's going to be looking at least $15mil a year especially if they go to a 4-3 where he can really rack up some stats. So it could get to the $90-$100mil mark easy depending on the years.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
Sounds like Adam Gase impressed in Philly. I'm told the #Eagles plan to bring him back for a second interview this weekend.
10:22 AM - 6 Jan 2016

Adam Schefter: Eagles 'highly interested' in Adam Gase, comfortable with Doug Pederson
As the Eagles head coaching search rounds into its eighth day, the rumor mill continues to churn but two names keep rising to the top of conversation; Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson.

Getting the franchise QB is way more of a crapshoot than you make it out to be. As others have noted, the fluidity of the NFL and inexactitude of the draft make it too risky. In the NBA, there is a much better track record of high draft picks making a difference, and even there we see that it is far from a slam dunk.

Honestly, in any given year, I would say that there are maybe 2-3 teams that are truly great, 2-3 teams that are truly awful, and the differences among the rest are very small. There is so much variance in the short season.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

Sounds like Adam Gase impressed in Philly. I'm told the #Eagles plan to bring him back for a second interview this weekend.

Sounds like his agent is earning his money before his Cleveland interview
yup. and they also cited (can't remember who) that if not for the misstep with Chip they would have probably already signed Gase. Sounds like they are trying to cover all their bases which is good on one hand to be thorough, but on the other hand if they felt they made mistakes with Chip and expedited the interview process it would be kind od embarrassing. there are plenty of egghead owners out there which makes the league fun, but did Lurie just read the articles and not look into Chip much himself?

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

yup. and they also cited (can't remember who) that if not for the misstep with Chip they would have probably already signed Gase. Sounds like they are trying to cover all their bases which is good on one hand to be thorough, but on the other hand if they felt they made mistakes with Chip and expedited the interview process it would be kind od embarrassing. there are plenty of egghead owners out there which makes the league fun, but did Lurie just read the articles and not look into Chip much himself?
Im not following

Getting the franchise QB is way more of a crapshoot than you make it out to be. As others have noted, the fluidity of the NFL and inexactitude of the draft make it too risky. In the NBA, there is a much better track record of high draft picks making a difference, and even there we see that it is far from a slam dunk.

Honestly, in any given year, I would say that there are maybe 2-3 teams that are truly great, 2-3 teams that are truly awful, and the differences among the rest are very small. There is so much variance in the short season.
Yeah tanking is only encouraged when you know a guy like Andrew Luck is coming out.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

Im not following
basically, I just find it strange at the level these guys are at that you wouldn't be thorough in finding candidates. I applaud Lurie if he is admitting to making a mistake with rushing to get Chip without doing due diligence first, but that is a little worrisome. I also guess that this is probably more so the case than I would think. one thing I have found as I go up the corporate ladder is that the number of individuals with issues and are unable to do a regular job is surprising.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

Im not following
basically, I just find it strange at the level these guys are at that you wouldn't be thorough in finding candidates. I applaud Lurie if he is admitting to making a mistake with rushing to get Chip without doing due diligence first, but that is a little worrisome. I also guess that this is probably more so the case than I would think. one thing I have found as I go up the corporate ladder is that the number of individuals with issues and are unable to do a regular job is surprising.
In fairness, there wasn't much research would have told them. How a man treats an 18 year old coming out of high school and living with mommy and daddy, is no indication of how he'd treat grown men who are millionaires. It's easy to ask around the league about how Adam Gase relates to his players. How other staff members feel about him, etc. Chip Kelly was a popular man that year and Lurie envisioned his 60 points per game at Oregon translating to similar fireworks in the pros. And his personality traits were hard to vet.

Adam Schefter: Eagles 'highly interested' in Adam Gase, comfortable with Doug Pederson

As the Eagles head coaching search rounds into its eighth day, the rumor mill continues to churn but two names keep rising to the top of conversation; Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson.
Love this. HOpefully there's truth to it. A little worried that one of his other interviews this week will blow him away and make him sign right then and there. It seems like it really is Gase or Peterson. Guess if Gase doesn't sign this weekend then it will be time to go after one of the eliminated teams' coordinators.

Seems like we're not interested in McDermott.
We aren't allowed to talk to him until Carolina is out though, so there's no real way to judge this.

We've heard no less about McDermott then we have about McDaniels and Hue. I'm assuming once these teams drop, we will hear a lot more. However, we may have already signed Gase before this happens.

Antrelle Rolle was on the radio today and couldn't have been more positive about Gase and how much he'd hate to lose him. Said he talked to him more than any other OC and that Gase is very interested in understanding all sides. This was right after being asked about McAdoo and just said he didn't know much having only been with him one year (same as CHI btw) and maybe had one conversation with him.

We aren't allowed to talk to him until Carolina is out though, so there's no real way to judge this.

We've heard no less about McDermott then we have about McDaniels and Hue. I'm assuming once these teams drop, we will hear a lot more. However, we may have already signed Gase before this happens.
Carolina is on bye this week. I thought they could talk to him.

Ya I'm still confused by this. I don't fully agree that bye week players can/will come in for interviews though.

Don't you think we would have heard about ONE team interviewing McDermott/McDaniels this week if so? Maybe they're 'allowed' to talk to him but it just never happens.

Coaches with byes can interview this week. Coaches playing this weekend cannot.
Ya. Again they "can", but it's probably not common practice. McDermott and McDaniels (if he wants to) will 100% be interviewed at least by a couple teams, yet neither of them have had a single one scheduled. Don't think this means that teams (or the eagles) aren't interested in them.

I heard (most likely on the Fanatic) that McDermott was only doing 1 interview this week and it was with the Browns. He didn't want to get caught up in the interview process yet so he's limiting himself. IF the Eagles want to talk to him, it will be next week.

I heard (most likely on the Fanatic) that McDermott was only doing 1 interview this week and it was with the Browns. He didn't want to get caught up in the interview process yet so he's limiting himself. IF the Eagles want to talk to him, it will be next week.
Hmmm interesting, didn't hear about his Browns interview. Maybe it was just to get a little practice in, then focus on the playoffs, then interview for the jobs he really wants.

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet Jan 5
The #Browns will interview #Panthers DC Sean McDermott in Cleveland on Thursday, source said.

Also, from PFT:

Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula might be willing to pass on chances to interview this week, but Sean McDermott isn’t.

The Panthers defensive coordinator said he was willing to talk to teams this week if someone wants to talk to him about a head coaching job, since the team has a bye week before their divisional round game.

“I’ve been in that conversation the last couple of years and it’s a direct result of the success we’ve had here,” McDermott said, via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. “This year being 15-1 and playing well on defense again, it’s an honor to be in that conversation. Balancing that is not a concern of mine. If and when those opportunities arise, I’ve prepared for a number of years and those will take care of themselves. At this point I’m focused on what we need to do and the task at hand.”

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet Jan 5
The #Browns will interview #Panthers DC Sean McDermott in Cleveland on Thursday, source said.

Also, from PFT:

Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula might be willing to pass on chances to interview this week, but Sean McDermott isn’t.

The Panthers defensive coordinator said he was willing to talk to teams this week if someone wants to talk to him about a head coaching job, since the team has a bye week before their divisional round game.

“I’ve been in that conversation the last couple of years and it’s a direct result of the success we’ve had here,” McDermott said, via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer. “This year being 15-1 and playing well on defense again, it’s an honor to be in that conversation. Balancing that is not a concern of mine. If and when those opportunities arise, I’ve prepared for a number of years and those will take care of themselves. At this point I’m focused on what we need to do and the task at hand.”
Pretty good PC answer. Seems like he's REALLY REALLY wanting a HC job though (don't blame him). He's almost begging to be interviewed.

Sean Payton: "I'll be here as long as they'll have me." Some parsing of words going on among pundits, but it looks like the carousel will be turning without him.

Don't think Payton is going anywhere. Wish we would hear something about McDaniels' interest in leaving. Those Pats keep things quiet pretty good though. Even though I'd rather Gase over McDaniels, the more guys we have available, the better the chances we have at landing someone we want. If Gase signs with Miami/Cleveland, we may be forced to take Pederson or McDermott at this point.

Don't think Payton is going anywhere. Wish we would hear something about McDaniels' interest in leaving. Those Pats keep things quiet pretty good though. Even though I'd rather Gase over McDaniels, the more guys we have available, the better the chances we have at landing someone we want. If Gase signs with Miami/Cleveland, we may be forced to take Pederson or McDermott at this point.
My current wish list order is this:

1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

2. McDermott- Bringing a defensive guy in and letting Shurmer run the offensive is appealing. Bradford's relationship with Shurmur is a plus. If this happens, I'd like to make a run at Petine for DC. He's a local guy and he and McDermott together would be great

3. Payton- He'd be number one if it wouldn't cost us a couple of picks. As with Gase, bringing him in requires getting a real solid DC. And Payton didn't have much luck doing that in New Orleans.

1. Gase- He's been considered an offensive guru and future star coach in this league since he was in his late 20's. Also is supposed to be very popular with players.

2. McDermott- Bringing a defensive guy in and letting Shurmer run the offensive is appealing. Bradford's relationship with Shurmur is a plus. If this happens, I'd like to make a run at Petine for DC. He's a local guy and he and McDermott together would be great

3. Payton- He'd be number one if it wouldn't cost us a couple of picks. As with Gase, bringing him in requires getting a real solid DC. And Payton didn't have much luck doing that in New Orleans.
My only worry with Gase is that I'm not sure he will keep Shurmur. Starting to warm up to the idea of not having Shurmur though. Of course I want him, but have to think that Gase will bring all his own guys in. Jim Bob is likely our OC if we get Gase, even though I'll hope he keeps Shurmur.

With McDermott, I think he'd bring his own guy in at DC. Doubt it's Petine. I see McDermott bringing a guy in with experience, but not a ex head coach who may overstep boundries.

Again don't think Payton goes anywhere. And it would cost us picks. And I'm not even really sold that he's an amazing can't miss coach.

My only worry with Gase is that I'm not sure he will keep Shurmur. Starting to warm up to the idea of not having Shurmur though. Of course I want him, but have to think that Gase will bring all his own guys in. Jim Bob is likely our OC if we get Gase, even though I'll hope he keeps Shurmur.

With McDermott, I think he'd bring his own guy in at DC. Doubt it's Petine. I see McDermott bringing a guy in with experience, but not a ex head coach who may overstep boundries.

Again don't think Payton goes anywhere. And it would cost us picks. And I'm not even really sold that he's an amazing can't miss coach.
Payton already issued a statement that he wasn't leaving N.O.

RE: Gase and Shurmur. Which is more desirable, the head coach or the QB? If Gase was the best HC option but you'd lose Shurmur/Bradford would the fans be OK with that? What if the alternative was Pederson/Shurmur/Bradford? I think I want the better coach.

RE: Gase and Shurmur. Which is more desirable, the head coach or the QB? If Gase was the best HC option but you'd lose Shurmur/Bradford would the fans be OK with that? What if the alternative was Pederson/Shurmur/Bradford? I think I want the better coach.
Not trying to sound too overly into Bradford, but I think THIS year I'd rather the QB then the coach. Most years or if there were other options out there I wouldn't think twice, it would be the coach in a landslid. But I want to compete every year, and the alternative to Sam this year is just historically awful.

Pederson+Shurmur+Bradford gives us a better team then Gase+Sanchez in my opinion.

I'd rather have Shurmur/Bradford than Gase/Sanchez. I'd need to know Gase's plan at QB. Losing Bradford and rolling the dice that a quality NFL starter sits at #13 of the draft scares the crap out of me.

Not trying to sound too overly into Bradford, but I think THIS year I'd rather the QB then the coach. Most years or if there were other options out there I wouldn't think twice, it would be the coach in a landslid. But I want to compete every year, and the alternative to Sam this year is just historically awful.

Pederson+Shurmur+Bradford gives us a better team then Gase+Sanchez in my opinion.
I certainly see that point and I'm kinda torn myself. Just thinking longer term. Next year's QB would most likely suck. But who knows beyond that and if Gase turns out to be the great coach I'd hate miss it. But yeah, the QB is the #1 position to fill.

I'd rather have Shurmur/Bradford than Gase/Sanchez. I'd need to know Gase's plan at QB. Losing Bradford and rolling the dice that a quality NFL starter sits at #13 of the draft scares the crap out of me.
Thing is, we luckily still have the franchise tag. So even if we lose Shurmur, we can get our dream combo of Gase+Bradford and there's nothing Sam can do about it.

Maybe Brock will be so mad about being benched for Peyton, that he'll follow Gase to Philly. He's the only other palatable QB out there on the market.

But what if you compromise on the coach and Bradford leaves after next year anyway and Gase goes on to have great coaching career elsewhere? Or worse, Bradford gets injured again after passing on Gase?

My biggest issue with a guy like Gase or any of the hot names is going after a big named coach or hot name doesn't seem to work IMO

I was just looking at all the teams in the playoffs right now and which one of their HC's was the "hot name" or "genius" when they got their first HC job?

Users who are viewing this thread