What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 Election Day Thread, November 8*** (1 Viewer)

I do too, but I can't guarantee that I am going to be in town on election day - but I still felt part of the process.

On a side note, the absentee ballot stated that if you were to write in a candidate the vote will not count on less it is on a approved list of write in candidates (which is on some website or available at the polling place). I don't know if any other states have this requirement. Makes sense in that it saves the volunteers who are processing the votes from wasting their time recording votes for Mickey Mouse and Pepe The Frog.
I think this is the same deal if you vote in person too in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.wnd.com/2016/11/obama-encourages-illegal-aliens-to-vote/

In an interview with the Latin-oriented YouTube channel mitu, millennial actress Gina Rodriguez asked Obama:

“Many of the millennials, Dreamers, undocumented citizens – and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country – are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will Immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?”

Obama responded: “Not true, and the reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself. And there is not a situation where the voting rolls somehow are transferred over and people start investigating, etc. The sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential.”

In an interview with the Latin-oriented YouTube channel mitu, millennial actress Gina Rodriguez asked Obama:

“Many of the millennials, Dreamers, undocumented citizens – and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country – are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will Immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?”

Obama responded: “Not true, and the reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself. And there is not a situation where the voting rolls somehow are transferred over and people start investigating, etc. The sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential.”

This supposed quote has nothing to do with the factual data I posted. Incidences of voter fraud are incredibly rare. Fact.

So, Obama was stating that if she were to- as the citizen she is- vote, no, the authorities were not going to then come around and check her home for illegals. any more than they would come around to check MY home.

So, Obama was stating that if she were to- as the citizen she is- vote, no, the authorities were not going to then come around and check her home for illegals. any more than they would come around to check MY home.
From snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/obama-encouraged-illegal-aliens-to-vote/

It Was Aliens

In an interview aimed at a millennial audience, President Obama encouraged Latino citizens to vote. He did not urge undocumented immigrants to vote.

Claim: President Obama encouraged "illegal aliens" to vote and said there would be no consequences if they do.

False
Origin:In the final count down to the upcoming election on 8 November 2016, Fox News host Neil Cavuto expressed disbelief over what he claimed to be remarks by President Barack Obama that encouraged undocumented immigrants to vote illegally. Other conservative outlets soon followed suit, with the Gateway Pundit calling the comments "criminal":

Barack Obama openly called on illegal aliens to vote in Tuesday’s election.
This whole administration is lawless!

They lie at every turn.
They lied to get Obamacare passed.
They lied about Benghazi.
They lied about Hillary’s private server and emails.

And now they are calling on illegal aliens to vote.

The claim originates from an interview with Obama published on 3 November 2016, in which millennial actress Gina Rodriguez asked the president about a number of issues facing young Latinos. Many of the outrage posts were written around a video in which the majority of the president's response was edited out to give the misleading impression that Obama was urging undocumented immigrants to vote illegally:

In the full interview, it's clear Obama is urging Latino citizens to vote in order to give voice to members of their community who are precluded from doing so by lack of citizenship, not urging non-citizens to vote illegally. Rodriguez's question seems to be addressing a fear that voting will result in scrutiny on one's family which could result in deportation of undocumented relatives:

RODRIGUEZ: Many of the millennials, Dreamers, undocumented citizens -- and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country -- are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?

OBAMA: Not true. And the reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself. And there is not a situation where the voting rolls somehow are transferred over and people start investigating, et cetera. The sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential in terms of who you voted for. If you have a family member who maybe is undocumented, then you have an even greater reason to vote.

RODRIGUEZ: This has been a huge fear presented especially during this election.

OBAMA: And the reason that fear is promoted is because they don't want people voting. People are discouraged from voting and part of what is important for Latino citizens is to make your voice heard, because you're not just speaking for yourself. You're speaking for family members, friends, classmates of yours in school...

RODRIGUEZ: Your entire community.

OBAMA: ... who may not have a voice. Who can't legally vote. But they're counting on you to make sure that you have the courage to make your voice heard.

The unedited video, posted by mitú, a media network geared toward young Latinos, can be viewed here:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/nevada-judge-tells-trump-lawyer-to-sit-down-over-absurd-voter-lawsuit

Nevada Judge Becomes Hero for Telling Trump Lawyer to “Sit Down” Over Absurd Voter Lawsuit

What Nevada did was legal, but that isn’t stopping the Trump campaign from crying foul.

by Maya Kosoff November 8, 2016 2:50 pm

Not one to shy away from litigation, Donald Trump is suing the Clark County, Nevada, Registrar of Voters after a Las Vegas polling station stayed open until 10 P.M. on Friday night, CNN reporter Jim Sciutto first reported on Tuesday. According to the complaint, filed by the Trump campaign on Monday, the polling station stayed open two hours longer than it should have, and the campaign wants all voting machines and ballots involved to be set aside and not counted.

Clark County judge Gloria Sturman tore into Trump’s lawyers on Tuesday afternoon. “Are [the votes] not to be counted?” she asked, exasperated, to Trump’s lawyer during a hearing on Tuesday. “What are you saying? Why are we here? You want to preserve the poll data? That is offensive to me. Why don’t we wait to see if the secretary of state wants to do this?”

“I am not going to expose people doing their civic duty helping their fellow citizens vote, that they are taking their personal time to preserve … to public attention, ridicule, and harassment,” Sturman continued, before commanding Trump’s lawyer: “Thank you, sit down.”

Nevada law allows polling stations to remain open until everyone waiting in line has had a chance to vote. Officials from the County Registrar in Clark County, which is more than 30 percent Hispanic, observed and signed off on the decision, allowing a massive surge in voters who were in line by closing time to cast their ballots. But that did not sit well with Trump or with Michael McDonald, the chairman of the Nevada Republican Party. Onstage at a rally on Saturday in Reno, McDonald thundered, “Last night in Clark County, they kept a poll open till 10 o’clock so that a certain group could vote.” That “certain group” is doubtless a reference to Latinos, who reportedly turned out in droves to vote early for Clinton. (Preliminary numbers show Clark County—which represents about 70 percent of the vote in the state—is likely to deliver a sizable win for the Democratic candidate.) When Trump later took the stage, he cried foul too. “It’s being reported that certain key Democratic polling locations in Clark County were kept open for hours and hours beyond closing time to bus and bring democratic voters in,” he said. “Folks, it’s a rigged system. It’s a rigged system and we’re going to beat it. We’re going to beat it.”

When will we start to get data from today's Florida vote count?
I vaguely remember the networks waiting in 2012 until all the state polls were closed in Florida, although that doesn't stop numbers being reported elsewhere.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/what-time-do-polls-close-2016-poll-closing-times-by-state-map-229892#FL

Florida poll closings

In Florida, poll closing times are 7 and 8 p.m. EST.  First voting results are expected at 7 p.m. EST.

Trump is going to hurt down-ballot Republicans with low-information voters like me. There's a Republican candidate I like for state assembly (because his top priority is helping the homeless), but I refuse to vote for any politician who hasn't distanced himself from Trump. I don't see anything about Trump in this candidate's position statements, but the fact that he's a Republican means that he might not have disclaimed any support for Trump, and I can't afford to take the chance. I guess I'll vote for the Democratic candidate in that race. It's either that or do a little Googling to get more information ... but that sounds like work, and I'm pretty tired today.

Trump is going to hurt down-ballot Republicans with low-information voters like me. There's a Republican candidate I like for state assembly (because his top priority is helping the homeless), but I refuse to vote for any politician who hasn't distanced himself from Trump. I don't see anything about Trump in this candidate's position statements, but the fact that he's a Republican means that he might not have disclaimed any support for Trump, and I can't afford to take the chance. I guess I'll vote for the Democratic candidate in that race. It's either that or do a little Googling to get more information ... but that sounds like work, and I'm pretty tired today.
You're 'low information'? Ha you seem pretty aware of things to me.

You're 'low information'? Ha you seem pretty aware of things to me.
I think I'm more familiar with a lot of relevant information than the average voter is ... but that's kind of scary for democracy because until looking at the ballot a few minutes ago, I'd never heard of most of the people I'm supposed to be voting for or against. I can read the little blurbs about them on the ballot, but they never say anything really useful like "#NeverTrump" or "MAGA!"

Since there is no method of verification of which votes were validly cast and correctly tallied, there is no way to tell.   In fact I can tell you with udder certainty there are tens of thousands of cases where voters vote in multiple states in every election, which is a form of voter fraud.  
;)

Since there is no method of verification of which votes were validly cast and correctly tallied, there is no way to tell.   In fact I can tell you with utter certainty there are tens of thousands of cases where voters vote in multiple states in every election, which is a form of voter fraud.  
So you're questioning the methodology of the study? Which part in particular do you find unsatisfactory? Also, if there's no way to tell which votes were validly cast and correctly tallied, how can you possibly make any assertions with utter certainty about votes?

Since there is no method of verification of which votes were validly cast and correctly tallied, there is no way to tell.   In fact I can tell you with utter certainty there are tens of thousands of cases where voters vote in multiple states in every election, which is a form of voter fraud.  
SO let's assume you are correct, which I don't think you are but will play along. And let's assume that each of those votes in multiple states is cast for the same candidate.  And let's assume that by "tens of thousands" you mean "99,999" and by "multiple states" you mean 4.  So in your scenario we have just shy of 400,000  fraudulent voters and 300,000 fraudulent votes (1 of the 4 votes is legal and intended) 

so 300,000 votes. 

In a pool of 120 million votes. 

Or .25 percent. 

That's worth getting alarmed about?

SO let's assume you are correct, which I don't think you are but will play along. And let's assume that each of those votes in multiple states is cast for the same candidate.  And let's assume that by "tens of thousands" you mean "99,999" and by "multiple states" you mean 4.  So in your scenario we have just shy of 400,000  fraudulent voters and 300,000 fraudulent votes (1 of the 4 votes is legal and intended) 

so 300,000 votes. 

In a pool of 120 million votes. 

Or .25 percent. 

That's worth getting alarmed about?
The Presidential election in 2000 was decided about 150 some votes. :shrug:  

Joy Reid@JoyAnnReid 9m9 minutes ago

Per #ExitPolls, the only group of white voters Clinton is winning is white women with a college degree.

But that's actually unprecedented.

This group typically goes majority Republican. They are abandoning Trump in a big way.

So you're questioning the methodology of the study? Which part in particular do you find unsatisfactory? Also, if there's no way to tell which votes were validly cast and correctly tallied, how can you possibly make any assertions with utter certainty about votes?
I am not questioning it, I am telling you it is total bunk.  There has to be a way to verify that votes are not fraudulent to conclude they are not fraudulent.  There is not enough checks to draw a definitive conclusion so the results are meaningless.  In fact the guy only counts it as fraud if there is what he calls credible evidence, but yet it is easy to find credible evidence that thousands of dead people have voted in the time frame he 'studied'.  In fact election results have been overturned in a few cases because there was concrete evidence that votes were cast in dead people's name.  

I am not questioning it, I am telling you it is total bunk.  There has to be a way to verify that votes are not fraudulent to conclude they are not fraudulent.  There is not enough checks to draw a definitive conclusion so the results are meaningless.  In fact the guy only counts it as fraud if there is what he calls credible evidence, but yet it is easy to find credible evidence that thousands of dead people have voted in the time frame he 'studied'.  In fact election results have been overturned in a few cases because there was concrete evidence that votes were cast in dead people's name.  
Let's see it.

Let's see it.
Here is a start of two localities where a small amount of investigative journalism easily found evidence of voter fraud.  Extrapolate that to other areas and it becomes significant.  

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2602775

It's not clear how many fraudulent ballots have been submitted in recent years. CBS4 reported that it "found multiple cases" of dead people voting around the state, revelations that have provoked state criminal investigations. The Milwaukee (Wis.) Police Department reported in 2008 that there was an "illegal organized attempt to influence the outcome of [the 2004] election in the state of Wisconsin." There were more votes counted than the number of voters who officially cast ballots, according to the report — about 5,000 more, in a presidential battleground decided by 12,000 votes.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/cbs2-investigation-uncovers-votes-being-cast-from-grave-year-after-year/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A comparison of records by David Goldstein, investigative reporter for CBS2/KCAL9, has revealed hundreds of so-called dead voters in Southern California, a vast majority of them in Los Angeles County.

Here is a start of two localities where a small amount of investigative journalism easily found evidence of voter fraud.  Extrapolate that to other areas and it becomes significant.  

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2602775

It's not clear how many fraudulent ballots have been submitted in recent years. CBS4 reported that it "found multiple cases" of dead people voting around the state, revelations that have provoked state criminal investigations. The Milwaukee (Wis.) Police Department reported in 2008 that there was an "illegal organized attempt to influence the outcome of [the 2004] election in the state of Wisconsin." There were more votes counted than the number of voters who officially cast ballots, according to the report — about 5,000 more, in a presidential battleground decided by 12,000 votes.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/cbs2-investigation-uncovers-votes-being-cast-from-grave-year-after-year/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A comparison of records by David Goldstein, investigative reporter for CBS2/KCAL9, has revealed hundreds of so-called dead voters in Southern California, a vast majority of them in Los Angeles County.
You're right. I concede the point and thank you for informing me.

Nate Silver 6:53 PM

How important is Florida? (Polls in the eastern part of the state close in a few minutes.) If Clinton wins it, her probability of winning the Electoral College would shoot up to 93 percent from 71 percent, according to our election night model. And if Trump were to win it, his chances would increase to 59 percent from 29 percent.

Nate Silver 6:53 PM

How important is Florida? (Polls in the eastern part of the state close in a few minutes.) If Clinton wins it, her probability of winning the Electoral College would shoot up to 93 percent from 71 percent, according to our election night model. And if Trump were to win it, his chances would increase to 59 percent from 29 percent.
Great, we're heading for 2000 all over again.

I don't like the trends I'm seeing.  Way too many uneducated whites are voting for Trump.  Not enough college educated whites voting for Clinton.

We will know who wins pretty soon, as soon as Vigo County (Terre Haute, IN) finishes their count.  They have been the most bellweather county in the country being correct in the 30 of 32 elections and has not been wrong since 1956.  

We will know who wins pretty soon, as soon as Vigo County (Terre Haute, IN) finishes their count.  They have been the most bellweather county in the 30 of 32 elections and has not been wrong since 1956.  
They love Trump.

We will know who wins pretty soon, as soon as Vigo County (Terre Haute, IN) finishes their count.  They have been the most bellweather county in the country being correct in the 30 of 32 elections and has not been wrong since 1956.  
In that case Trump is president.

Users who are viewing this thread