What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Random question, but I'm just curious about some general opinions of grits as a side dish for BBQ (specifically, but not limited too, Cheddar and Roasted Green Chile Grits).I've got a small BBQ Shed. And I mean small. A '61 Airstream trailer in the middle of nowhere only open 2 days a week for lunch. It's been growing pretty well on word of mouth alone (there is literally no drive by traffic). We generally get about 20-35 people for an hour and a half lunch service.We do Pulled Pork sandwiches every service. Usually also either have brisket (just the flat, sliced for sandwiches) or tacos (grilled chicken with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, salsa, and either chipotle dressing or crema). We usually do a side dish (and we only have space for one at a time) that's almost always the Parmesan-Crusted Mac 'n Cheese (sometimes Potato Salad, but people just love the Mac 'n Cheese).Has anyone ever seen or heard of grits as a BBQ or food truck side?How hesitant would you be (or imagine others would be) to try it as a side with a PP Sandwich?This place is experimental by nature and I know grits a bit of a leap. Grits have been sorely mistreated for decades and most people around here are accustomed to garbage grits, so they may not immediately get excited about the idea. This is still, just barely, in the "grits belt", so people are at least familiar (which might hurt as much as help). But there might be opportunity there. I gather that grits are getting more upscale in some regions.Shrimp and Grits are really not an option. We just don't yet have the equipment or the capacity to prepare it to order. A true side would fit in better and it has to be something that can be made beforehand.For now, what I'm thinking is the Cheddar and Green Chile Grits topped with crumbled bacon and green onion.Using proper grits (Bob's Red Mill's about the best I can find around here). A mix of chicken broth and cream for the liquid. Lots of fresh grated cheddar and diced green chile from Hatch, NM. I thought incorporating the pork (bacon or maybe even sausage) into the grits themselves, but all that cheese and some cream, we're really getting too rich to be a side.That would share a number of similarities with the Mac 'n Cheese (we've started making that with Hatch Chile lately too). That might be a problem, but the flavor profile works (carbs and cheese is always a winner). When we can only have one side, it's hard to pass up cheesy.Anyway, sorry for the long, random post, but I thought I'd ask for any input, which would be greatly appreciated.
Cincy doesn't have great BBQ (yet), but the best place in town does really good cheddar grits. In fact, it's the only side of theirs that I really like
Smoq?
Eli's
Smoq has some killer grits, too. Haven't made it to Eli's yet. Thought Smoq was decent. Not as good as mine and they ran out of Brisket right as I ordered. I'd go back, though. Sausage and pulled pork were good.
Eli's is fantastic. I've never had the grits there though. I love their baked beans and mac n cheese too much to try something else.

Drifter said:
Bought about 5 lbs of hatch chiles over the weekend and roasted them on the grill to make a big batch of Pork Green Chile and another of Vegetarian. Good stuff. I'll probably buy some more next weekend and smoke a couple chickens to make my Southwest Smoked Chicken salad again.

Anybody ever do a fattie for the purpose of using it in a sausage gravy? That might be my next experiment.
You just blew my mind.
All the time.

I'll put 4 or 5 chubs straight out of the package in the smoker then freeze them just for sausage & biscuits with gravy. Takes it to a whole new level IMO.
WOW! I HAVE to do that!

Does Lowes and Home Depot usually have any Labor Day grill deals that anyone is aware of? I wanted to get one soon and I didnt want to get one too early.

TIA

Does Lowes and Home Depot usually have any Labor Day grill deals that anyone is aware of? I wanted to get one soon and I didnt want to get one too early.

TIA
No idea, but you can always get an online deal through Char-Broil's website. 25% off with this code: [SIZE=14pt]C13ST25[/SIZE]

Labor Day weekend and more importantly football is here :tebow:

So what's going on the grill or in the smoker this weekend fellas??

My buddy is firing up the smoker tomorrow @ 6am sharp and so far we are doing 2 butts, a brisket (I know it's an Epicurious recipe but it produces one of the best briskets I have ever had the pleasure of smoking - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Barbecued-Texas-Beef-Brisket-101806)

Gonna give TheFanatic's Orange Soda smoked wings a try and also thinking of doing Icon's Jack's Old South Baked Beans recipe! :thumbup:

What else should we throw on? Was thinking some sausage and maybe a couple salmon fillets on cedar planks.

Last edited by a moderator:

My buddy is firing up the smoker tomorrow @ 6am sharp and so far we are doing 2 butts, a brisket (I know it's an Epicurious recipe but it produces one of the best briskets I have ever had the pleasure of smoking - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Barbecued-Texas-Beef-Brisket-101806)

Gonna give TheFanatic's Orange Soda smoked wings a try and also thinking of doing Icon's Jack's Old South Baked Beans recipe! :thumbup:

What else should we throw on? Was thinking some sausage and maybe a couple salmon fillets on cedar planks.
Try smoked mac and cheese and thank me later!

Just picked up two 1.5 pound bone-in Choice Ribeye's for $6.50/pound. I imagine I'll have to grill some corn on the cob and whip up some baked beans too. Now I'm hungry.

TIA
Home Depot had 2-20lb bags for $13 yesterday. Not bad.

ETA: Whoops, you were looking for grills. My bad.

I made some pretty ridiculous St. Louis-style spare ribs yesterday. I had some really nice fresh peaches that I wanted to incorporate into the ribs, so I made a peach bourbon glaze that I applied at the end of the cook. I made the peach boubon glaze with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, puréed grilled peaches with honey, puréed smoked Vidalia onion, fresh squeezed orange and peach juice, molasses, maple sugar, and spices. The peach bourbon glaze caramelized into the bark of the ribs after applying it during the last 30 minutes or so of the cook. The ribs got rave reviews from the in-laws and family. Here's a pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2531/9eyu.jpg

I made some pretty ridiculous St. Louis-style spare ribs yesterday. I had some really nice fresh peaches that I wanted to incorporate into the ribs, so I made a peach bourbon glaze that I applied at the end of the cook. I made the peach boubon glaze with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, puréed grilled peaches with honey, puréed smoked Vidalia onion, fresh squeezed orange and peach juice, molasses, maple sugar, and spices. The peach bourbon glaze caramelized into the bark of the ribs after applying it during the last 30 minutes or so of the cook. The ribs got rave reviews from the in-laws and family. Here's a pic:

Do you have more exact measurements? Got contacted by Four Roses to do some grilling with their bourbon, and this might be the perfect recipe to do that!

Buckfast 1 said:

After seeing that picture:

:slapsmoneyontable: "I'm out"

TheFanatic said:
Buckfast 1 said:

Do you have more exact measurements? Got contacted by Four Roses to do some grilling with their bourbon, and this might be the perfect recipe to do that!
Here are my approximations of the measurements for my peach bourbon glaze:2/3 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

3/4 - 1 cup of bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed peach juice

1/3 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of pure maple sugar

1 puréed large smoked Vidalia onion

1 puréed grilled peach with honey

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2-3 tablespoons of peach preserves

1/2 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon of paprika

1/2 tablespoon of chile powder

1/2 tablespoon of salt

A few cloves of sautéed crushed garlic

In order to smoke the Vidalia onion, I peeled it, fanned out the layers of the onion a bit, scooped part of the center of the onion out, drizzled it with butter and olive oil, added some salt and pepper, and then placed it on the smoker for about an hour and a half. My rationale behind smoking the onion is to try to infuse the sauce with some natural smoke flavor.

With the grilled peach, I just glazed the peach with some honey and put it on the grill for a little while until it softened up and got some grill marks.

I simmered the sauce for about two hours.

I applied the glaze during the last 30-40 minutes of the cook during which it kind of caramelized on the bark of the ribs.

I think the glaze added a nice fresh peach, bourbon, and sweet flavors to the ribs which complimented the spiciness from my rub nicely.

I also spritzed the ribs with a combination of apple cider vinegar, bourbon, and fresh squeezed orange and peach juices throughout the cook.

Good luck working with Four Roses! That distillery is located right by my mom's lake house in Kentucky. I just recently started playing around using bourbon in my smoking, and, while it is always hard to watch the bourbon enter a sauce rather than my mouth directly, I do enjoy the flavor it adds to the meal.

Buckfast 1 said:

After seeing that picture::slapsmoneyontable: "I'm out"
:lmao: Thank you, thank you.

If you only have a grill, could you still get a quality brisket using that recipe?

If you only have a grill, could you still get a quality brisket using that recipe?
I honestly can't say as I have only ever smoked it. If you can achieve a steady 200-225 in your grill (gas or charcoal?) and keep up some decent smoke I would think it's worth a shot.

Here are my approximations of the measurements for my peach bourbon glaze:

2/3 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

3/4 - 1 cup of bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed peach juice

1/3 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of pure maple sugar

1 puréed large smoked Vidalia onion

1 puréed grilled peach with honey

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2-3 tablespoons of peach preserves

1/2 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon of paprika

1/2 tablespoon of chile powder

1/2 tablespoon of salt

In order to smoke the Vidalia onion, I peeled it, fanned out the layers of the onion a bit, scooped part of the center of the onion out, drizzled it with butter and olive oil, added some salt and pepper, and then placed it on the smoker for about an hour and a half. My rationale behind smoking the onion is to try to infuse the sauce with some natural smoke flavor.

With the grilled peach, I just glazed the peach with some honey and put it on the grill for a little while until it softened up and got some grill marks.

I simmered the sauce for about two hours.

I applied the glaze during the last 30-40 minutes of the cook during which it kind of caramelized on the bark of the ribs.

I think the glaze added a nice fresh peach, bourbon, and sweet flavors to the ribs which complimented the spiciness from my rub nicely.

I also spritzed the ribs with a combination of apple cider vinegar, bourbon, and fresh squeezed orange and peach juices throughout the cook.

Good luck working with Four Roses! That distillery is located right by my mom's lake house in Kentucky. I just recently started playing around using bourbon in my smoking, and, while it is always hard to watch the bourbon enter a sauce rather than my mouth directly, I do enjoy the flavor it adds to the meal.
Thank you for the detail. Man after mine own heart! Gotta give all the details... As for the bolded, well, Dad got the email from Four Roses in June and then never really responded. It might be too late to work with them. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed!

Ok...so I know I've asked here before, but let's face it, I have ADD and don't remember. I've done a brisket once before and am doing one this weekend. Actually I think it's a brisket "top" or "flat"...whatever it's called. It's just under 8 lbs. The last one I made I assumed it would be an 8-9 hour process, but when I checked it 3 hours in, it was 95% done so I need the stats.

Cooking temp?

Meat prep? (trim the fat? leave the fat?)

internal temp that I pull it off and wrap it in foil??

good rub for the meat or do I inject?

Last time I did the spicy mustard slather suggested by fanatic (I think)....had good flavor, but was dry for obvious reason

Drifter said:
Why the peach preserves? Essentially that would just be peaches and sugar.
Part of my reasoning was that I thought the peach preserves would give the glaze an added peach flavor without thickening up the sauce as much as puréed fresh peaches. And part of it was just that I happened to pass by some peach preserves when I was at the grocery store dreaming up this recipe. I'm sure the peach preserves are not an essential ingredient.

Ok...so I know I've asked here before, but let's face it, I have ADD and don't remember. I've done a brisket once before and am doing one this weekend. Actually I think it's a brisket "top" or "flat"...whatever it's called. It's just under 8 lbs. The last one I made I assumed it would be an 8-9 hour process, but when I checked it 3 hours in, it was 95% done so I need the stats.

Cooking temp?

Last time I did the spicy mustard slather suggested by fanatic (I think)....had good flavor, but was dry for obvious reason
Try this

[SIZE=9pt] marinated a 6-7 pound brisket in 2 cans of Dr.Pepper, 1/2 cup of both teriyaki and worchestire . marinaded it for 2 days. Take it out pour the marinade in a sauce pan and add ONE CUP pomegranate juice and simmered for about 45 minutes. You can also use it to inject or for a spritz. put Montreal Steak blend on and cook the brisket at 235-250. Spritzed it every hour, cook for 6 hours to 165 degrees, foiled it and take off at 195. About 8 hours total. Double wrapped with foil, put it in cold oven or cooler and let it stay for 3 hours. [/SIZE]

Cooking temp?

Try this

[SIZE=9pt] marinated a 6-7 pound brisket in 2 cans of Dr.Pepper, 1/2 cup of both teriyaki and worchestire . marinaded it for 2 days. Take it out pour the marinade in a sauce pan and add ONE CUP pomegranate juice and simmered for about 45 minutes. You can also use it to inject or for a spritz. put Montreal Steak blend on and cook the brisket at 235-250. Spritzed it every hour, cook for 6 hours to 165 degrees, foiled it and take off at 195. About 8 hours total. Double wrapped with foil, put it in cold oven or cooler and let it stay for 3 hours. [/SIZE]
If it's just one day will that be ok? Perhaps I can inject this liquid if only 24 hours? It's defrosting today...need to cook on Saturday.

Cooking temp?

Try this

If it's just one day will that be ok? Perhaps I can inject this liquid if only 24 hours? It's defrosting today...need to cook on Saturday.
marinading for only 1 day will be fine

Cooking temp?

Try this

cool...so on to the trimming part. Cut all the fat I can find? Thin it out? How do I go about this part? Also, do you put it in a pan on the smoker or directly on the grate?

Cooking temp?

Try this

cool...so on to the trimming part. Cut all the fat I can find? Thin it out? How do I go about this part? Also, do you put it in a pan on the smoker or directly on the grate?
I dont trim the fat, it will render away on a cook this long and I place it directly on the smoker grates. Don't forget to cut a corner so you know what way the grain is running, in order to have the best results you will want to cut you meat across the grain.

Cooking temp?

Try this

I dont trim the fat, it will render away on a cook this long and I place it directly on the smoker grates
None of it? Ok....I'll roll with that...less work for me :thumbup:

Cooking temp?

Try this

I dont trim the fat, it will render away on a cook this long and I place it directly on the smoker grates
This is a flat right, not a full packer?

Cooking temp?

Try this

Believe so yes....it was given to me by a local farm...it's just labeled "beef brisket".

Cooking temp?

Try this

Believe so yes....it was given to me by a local farm...it's just labeled "beef brisket".
This should help, if it's a full packer then follow Mr. Franklin, if its a flat no need to trim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

Cooking temp?

Try this

This should help, if it's a full packer then follow Mr. Franklin, if its a flat no need to trim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU
Beat you to it :D I just got through watching this very video before coming back and telling you I was a moron and it was a whole brisket. For whatever reason, it's folded over and I wasn't paying attention. Gonna follow his advice for trimming...thanks :thumbup:

Was just in my local Home Depot....they have two 20 lbs bags of Kingsford for $4.88 right now....no limit. They said it was nationwide.

:goodposting:

Was just in my local Home Depot....they have two 20 lbs bags of Kingsford for $4.88 right now....no limit. They said it was nationwide.

Nice. Did they say how long the sale lasts? Need to stock back up. My load from Memorial weekend is dwindling.

Nice. Did they say how long the sale lasts? Need to stock back up. My load from Memorial weekend is dwindling.
I think she said this sunday. Ours had two trailers full last week and there were only about 10 pallets left when I saw it today...went pretty quick.

Drifter said:
Why the peach preserves? Essentially that would just be peaches and sugar.
Part of my reasoning was that I thought the peach preserves would give the glaze an added peach flavor without thickening up the sauce as much as puréed fresh peaches. And part of it was just that I happened to pass by some peach preserves when I was at the grocery store dreaming up this recipe. I'm sure the peach preserves are not an essential ingredient.
Might play around with the syrup from some canned peaches.

" post="15893878" timestamp="1378417139"]Holy ####. Gonna check this after work.

Girl at the store said she thought it was nation wide, but if it wasn't they do "price match"....just have to tell them that my store is selling it for that and they should honor it.

did some thick cut beef ribs on the BGE last night. The Meat was 4 ribs cut about an inch or teo thick with the meat on top anywhere from 1-3in. Cooked them brisket style, marinated 24hrs in spicy sweet mustard with a John Henry Texas Brisket Rub. Added some more rub before the grill. Cooked about 2hrs indirect at 250-300 with hickory smoke. Came out great! Going to try and foil on next cook to get them a bit more moist.

Not sure what was going on with the Kingsford/Home Depot sale around here. My dad got some down in NC Labor Day weekend at the $4.88 deal, it was $12.88 here. They aren't doing the $4.88 sale this weekend either. Maybe it was just a NC thing.

Puts me in a bind, not having time to even load up on the $12.88 deal last weekend. I'm down to my last 160 lbs and there's no way that'll last until Memorial Day.

Not as big of a deal as in the past, the sales (outside of this unicorn $4.88 thing) keep getting less and less great. I wouldn't mind phasing Kingsford out altogether and just using Royal Oak (seems to burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford).

Anybody know if Royal Oak ever goes on sale? Only places around here to get it are Walmart and Tractor Supply, as far as I know.

Not sure what was going on with the Kingsford/Home Depot sale around here. My dad got some down in NC Labor Day weekend at the $4.88 deal, it was $12.88 here. They aren't doing the $4.88 sale this weekend either. Maybe it was just a NC thing.

Puts me in a bind, not having time to even load up on the $12.88 deal last weekend. I'm down to my last 160 lbs and there's no way that'll last until Memorial Day.

Not as big of a deal as in the past, the sales (outside of this unicorn $4.88 thing) keep getting less and less great. I wouldn't mind phasing Kingsford out altogether and just using Royal Oak (seems to burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford).

Anybody know if Royal Oak ever goes on sale? Only places around here to get it are Walmart and Tractor Supply, as far as I know.
I've gotten RO on sale at Walmart before. If you have a Gordon Food Service around you, they rebrand RO and it's cheaper. Menards sells RO too...

I've gotten RO on sale at Walmart before. If you have a Gordon Food Service around you, they rebrand RO and it's cheaper. Menards sells RO too...
It's times like this I really miss the Midwest.

Cooking temp?

Try this

Operation Megla in full effect. Reducing the marinade smells awesome....excited about the brisket :thumbup:

Cooking temp?

Try this

Operation Megla in full effect. Reducing the marinade smells awesome....excited about the brisket :thumbup:
Well? How did it turn out?

Today is an epic grilling day. First Sunday of the NFL every year is a home tailgating day. I had some salmon overnighted in from Alaska from the Copper River Salmon Company, five slabs of baby backs that are in a brine right now (I will jerk some and the others I'll do my signature rub), some loaves of bread for Crostinis and 15 ears of corn for my version of Mexican Street corn.

Now all I need is this rain to move on and get my game on!

:thumbup: to megla for the recipe. It didn't take as long to cook and I didn't rest it as long as he suggested, but it was nice and juicy. Got compliments from all. If only my allergies would have allowed me to taste it :( It was a cruel joke to be able to start the day being able to smell then not being able to taste a freakin' thing by the end of the day.

Did a cook Saturday for my Fraternity consisting of Spare Ribs, Chickens and baked beans. I did some trimming of the spares and then used some of the trimmings for the beans but as I was doing 15 slabs I had a good bit of trimmings left over and I already had a freezer full. I had earlier thrown some wings in a buttermild/hotsauce bath for Sundays games and figured while I had the fyer out I would try something different. I cleaned up the rib tips so that I had no bones or cartilage and then cut them into chicken nuget size, gave them a 2 hour simple brine and then a overnight bath in the buttermilk/hot sauce. Seasoned them and then spiced with a Smokey Chipolte rub, floured with AP/corn starch/baking poweder and then placed them in the fridge for a few hours to allow to set. Deep fried them at 325 for 8-10 minutes. These things turned out great, they didn't make it past the first half of the games Sunday and I did about 3 LBs of them. A must do again in the future.

Did a cook Saturday for my Fraternity consisting of Spare Ribs, Chickens and baked beans. I did some trimming of the spares and then used some of the trimmings for the beans but as I was doing 15 slabs I had a good bit of trimmings left over and I already had a freezer full. I had earlier thrown some wings in a buttermild/hotsauce bath for Sundays games and figured while I had the fyer out I would try something different. I cleaned up the rib tips so that I had no bones or cartilage and then cut them into chicken nuget size, gave them a 2 hour simple brine and then a overnight bath in the buttermilk/hot sauce. Seasoned them and then spiced with a Smokey Chipolte rub, floured with AP/corn starch/baking poweder and then placed them in the fridge for a few hours to allow to set. Deep fried them at 325 for 8-10 minutes. These things turned out great, they didn't make it past the first half of the games Sunday and I did about 3 LBs of them. A must do again in the future.
Whoa. Those deep fried rib tips sound delicious. I've never heard of anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread