What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Doing chicken wings on my BGE on Sunday. I've done them a couple times before and they always turn out good, it never amazing... Any tips?
I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm pretty sure this was one of Tipsy's tricks that was used for his wings at the Memphis in May BBQ festival.

Smoke the wings, but finish them with a quick pan fry to crisp up the skin before serving. It should give you the great smoky tenderness of smoked wings combined with the great crispy skin of deep fried wings.

Doing chicken wings on my BGE on Sunday. I've done them a couple times before and they always turn out good, it never amazing... Any tips?
I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm pretty sure this was one of Tipsy's tricks that was used for his wings at the Memphis in May BBQ festival.

Smoke the wings, but finish them with a quick pan fry to crisp up the skin before serving. It should give you the great smoky tenderness of smoked wings combined with the great crispy skin of deep fried wings.
:yes:

Ok, one more thing. You HAVE to skin the pig. I've done it both ways. I did it with the skin on and the pork was terrible with little smoke flavor. I talked to a guy named Mike Emerson who owns one of the top BBQ restaurants in the country and he told me smoking a skinned pig is like trying to put smoke into a football. Very appropriate reference for both going whole hog and this website. Start with very sharp knives or have many knives ready as the skinning process will wreck the finest of blades, but I can't stress this enough.

You can't put rub on the outside of of the skin and have any effect on flavor. The smoke won't penetrate the pig skin. And it will cook a little faster. Go ahead and skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!
Guy's pretty dead set on larding the skin to get it crispy as hell... or something. I'm not sure I'm gonna get him off that train.

:thumbup: thanks! I'll give this a try

:thumbup: thanks! I'll give this a try
I've taken this method to most of the fried chicken I do now. I brine then smoke the pieces just long enough to get a good smoke on them and then bread and fry them as I normally would. Absolutely fantastic method he came up with.

I've taken this method to most of the fried chicken I do now. I brine then smoke the pieces just long enough to get a good smoke on them and then bread and fry them as I normally would. Absolutely fantastic method he came up with.
How do you get the breading to stick? How long do you fry them... I'm assuming it's quick since you're just looking to crisp the skin vs. cook the meat.

Also, any tips on marinades? I typically do a hot wing (Franks & butter) and a sweet wing (honey bourbon bbq) for a little bit of variety, but I'm more than open to other suggestions.

TIA

How do you get the breading to stick? How long do you fry them... I'm assuming it's quick since you're just looking to crisp the skin vs. cook the meat.

Also, any tips on marinades? I typically do a hot wing (Franks & butter) and a sweet wing (honey bourbon bbq) for a little bit of variety, but I'm more than open to other suggestions.

TIA
Dont want to throw you for a loop, but I posted a few pages back that I had struggled with smoked wings for a long time, until I discovered a secret. 1 tsp of baking powder to whatever rub you use. For whatever reason, this crisps the skin up perfectly. I go hot and fast. 350-375 for 40-45 minutes. I watch for the skin to brown and start to split, ever so slightly. Toss in whatever suace I'm in the mood for, and enjoy!

Just did a quick grill of 2 salmons we caught in alaska. Holy hell it was good. And easy. Soaked some cedar planks, filleted the fish, and boom it was just buttery goodness with some nice flavor.

I've been so deadset on using my red oak Santa Maria grill for everything that I forgot how easy a nice gas grill can be. :burp:

Ok, one more thing. You HAVE to skin the pig. I've done it both ways. I did it with the skin on and the pork was terrible with little smoke flavor. I talked to a guy named Mike Emerson who owns one of the top BBQ restaurants in the country and he told me smoking a skinned pig is like trying to put smoke into a football. Very appropriate reference for both going whole hog and this website. Start with very sharp knives or have many knives ready as the skinning process will wreck the finest of blades, but I can't stress this enough.

You can't put rub on the outside of of the skin and have any effect on flavor. The smoke won't penetrate the pig skin. And it will cook a little faster. Go ahead and skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!
Guy's pretty dead set on larding the skin to get it crispy as hell... or something. I'm not sure I'm gonna get him off that train.
Then I wouldn't waste the smoke wood. There will be little smoke flavor. I was told by a guy who one whole hog at Memphis in May (Skip Steele) that smoking a pig that isn't skinned is like trying to get smoke into a football...

TIA
Others may differ, but I've found that coating the bird with seasoned flour, then placing it on a baking rack to rest for 15-20 minutes before dropping it in the fryer works best for me. And I am a fried chicken junkie.

ETA: Season the flour with the same seasonings you used for the bird and be liberal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Then I wouldn't waste the smoke wood. There will be little smoke flavor. I was told by a guy who one whole hog at Memphis in May (Skip Steele) that smoking a pig that isn't skinned is like trying to get smoke into a football...
Well if skip Steele says so then it must be gospel!

Skip Steele: Whole Hog champion in 2000, finished 5th as recently as 2011

Getting a deal for .60 per lb of Apple Chunks locally.... is that a fair price for buying in hundred pound increments?

Also, how are you guys able to really tell apple wood from other wood? I bought a few pounds from amazon and they look just like other wood chips to me.... can't smell anything either....

Hog game out fantastic. Larded skin was crisp and delicious. Possibly the best part of the pig. Cheeks were awesome too.

Oh and we had magic apple wood apparently so the smoke definitely worked into the meat and was quite tasty.

He shoulda protected the hams a little better as they dried out a touch but otherwise my compliments to the chef!

TheFanatic said:
[icon] said:
TheFanatic said:

Cool. Brad Orrison. Whole hog champion in 2013 has no problem getting smoke into his skin-on hog

http://17bbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/WholeHog_Shed_2.jpg

Same with mellissa cookston... Whole hog champ in 2010, 2011, 2012... Grand champion in 2010 and 2012.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/945761_10151549490276877_1701513445_n.jpg

TheFanatic said:
[icon] said:
TheFanatic said:

Cool.Brad Orrison. Whole hog champion in 2013 has no problem getting smoke into his skin-on hog

Same with mellissa cookston... Whole hog champ in 2010, 2011, 2012... Grand champion in 2010 and 2012.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/945761_10151549490276877_1701513445_n.jpg
God I love pigs.... :porked:

Random question, but I'm just curious about some general opinions of grits as a side dish for BBQ (specifically, but not limited too, Cheddar and Roasted Green Chile Grits).

I've got a small BBQ Shed. And I mean small. A '61 Airstream trailer in the middle of nowhere only open 2 days a week for lunch. It's been growing pretty well on word of mouth alone (there is literally no drive by traffic). We generally get about 20-35 people for an hour and a half lunch service.

We do Pulled Pork sandwiches every service. Usually also either have brisket (just the flat, sliced for sandwiches) or tacos (grilled chicken with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, salsa, and either chipotle dressing or crema). We usually do a side dish (and we only have space for one at a time) that's almost always the Parmesan-Crusted Mac 'n Cheese (sometimes Potato Salad, but people just love the Mac 'n Cheese).

Has anyone ever seen or heard of grits as a BBQ or food truck side?

How hesitant would you be (or imagine others would be) to try it as a side with a PP Sandwich?

This place is experimental by nature and I know grits a bit of a leap. Grits have been sorely mistreated for decades and most people around here are accustomed to garbage grits, so they may not immediately get excited about the idea. This is still, just barely, in the "grits belt", so people are at least familiar (which might hurt as much as help). But there might be opportunity there. I gather that grits are getting more upscale in some regions.

Shrimp and Grits are really not an option. We just don't yet have the equipment or the capacity to prepare it to order. A true side would fit in better and it has to be something that can be made beforehand.

For now, what I'm thinking is the Cheddar and Green Chile Grits topped with crumbled bacon and green onion.

Using proper grits (Bob's Red Mill's about the best I can find around here). A mix of chicken broth and cream for the liquid. Lots of fresh grated cheddar and diced green chile from Hatch, NM. I thought incorporating the pork (bacon or maybe even sausage) into the grits themselves, but all that cheese and some cream, we're really getting too rich to be a side.

That would share a number of similarities with the Mac 'n Cheese (we've started making that with Hatch Chile lately too). That might be a problem, but the flavor profile works (carbs and cheese is always a winner). When we can only have one side, it's hard to pass up cheesy.

Anyway, sorry for the long, random post, but I thought I'd ask for any input, which would be greatly appreciated.

Random question, but I'm just curious about some general opinions of grits as a side dish for BBQ (specifically, but not limited too, Cheddar and Roasted Green Chile Grits).I've got a small BBQ Shed. And I mean small. A '61 Airstream trailer in the middle of nowhere only open 2 days a week for lunch. It's been growing pretty well on word of mouth alone (there is literally no drive by traffic). We generally get about 20-35 people for an hour and a half lunch service.We do Pulled Pork sandwiches every service. Usually also either have brisket (just the flat, sliced for sandwiches) or tacos (grilled chicken with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, salsa, and either chipotle dressing or crema). We usually do a side dish (and we only have space for one at a time) that's almost always the Parmesan-Crusted Mac 'n Cheese (sometimes Potato Salad, but people just love the Mac 'n Cheese).Has anyone ever seen or heard of grits as a BBQ or food truck side?How hesitant would you be (or imagine others would be) to try it as a side with a PP Sandwich?This place is experimental by nature and I know grits a bit of a leap. Grits have been sorely mistreated for decades and most people around here are accustomed to garbage grits, so they may not immediately get excited about the idea. This is still, just barely, in the "grits belt", so people are at least familiar (which might hurt as much as help). But there might be opportunity there. I gather that grits are getting more upscale in some regions.Shrimp and Grits are really not an option. We just don't yet have the equipment or the capacity to prepare it to order. A true side would fit in better and it has to be something that can be made beforehand.For now, what I'm thinking is the Cheddar and Green Chile Grits topped with crumbled bacon and green onion.Using proper grits (Bob's Red Mill's about the best I can find around here). A mix of chicken broth and cream for the liquid. Lots of fresh grated cheddar and diced green chile from Hatch, NM. I thought incorporating the pork (bacon or maybe even sausage) into the grits themselves, but all that cheese and some cream, we're really getting too rich to be a side.That would share a number of similarities with the Mac 'n Cheese (we've started making that with Hatch Chile lately too). That might be a problem, but the flavor profile works (carbs and cheese is always a winner). When we can only have one side, it's hard to pass up cheesy.Anyway, sorry for the long, random post, but I thought I'd ask for any input, which would be greatly appreciated.
Cincy doesn't have great BBQ (yet), but the best place in town does really good cheddar grits. In fact, it's the only side of theirs that I really like

I'm smoking a pork shoulder today. So far, everything has been running smoothly. My WSM has been cruising along right at 250 degrees all morning long.

I'm pretty excited about the BBQ sauce I'm going to make today. I am going to smoke a Vidalia onion on the smoker, roast fresh Hatch chili peppers on my grill, and grill some fresh Palisade peaches and then purée them all in a food processor to add to my ketchup/apple cider vinegar-based BBQ sauce. My goal is to try to infuse the sauce with fresh natural smoky, sweet, and spicy flavors.

Random question, but I'm just curious about some general opinions of grits as a side dish for BBQ (specifically, but not limited too, Cheddar and Roasted Green Chile Grits).I've got a small BBQ Shed. And I mean small. A '61 Airstream trailer in the middle of nowhere only open 2 days a week for lunch. It's been growing pretty well on word of mouth alone (there is literally no drive by traffic). We generally get about 20-35 people for an hour and a half lunch service.We do Pulled Pork sandwiches every service. Usually also either have brisket (just the flat, sliced for sandwiches) or tacos (grilled chicken with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, salsa, and either chipotle dressing or crema). We usually do a side dish (and we only have space for one at a time) that's almost always the Parmesan-Crusted Mac 'n Cheese (sometimes Potato Salad, but people just love the Mac 'n Cheese).Has anyone ever seen or heard of grits as a BBQ or food truck side?How hesitant would you be (or imagine others would be) to try it as a side with a PP Sandwich?This place is experimental by nature and I know grits a bit of a leap. Grits have been sorely mistreated for decades and most people around here are accustomed to garbage grits, so they may not immediately get excited about the idea. This is still, just barely, in the "grits belt", so people are at least familiar (which might hurt as much as help). But there might be opportunity there. I gather that grits are getting more upscale in some regions.Shrimp and Grits are really not an option. We just don't yet have the equipment or the capacity to prepare it to order. A true side would fit in better and it has to be something that can be made beforehand.For now, what I'm thinking is the Cheddar and Green Chile Grits topped with crumbled bacon and green onion.Using proper grits (Bob's Red Mill's about the best I can find around here). A mix of chicken broth and cream for the liquid. Lots of fresh grated cheddar and diced green chile from Hatch, NM. I thought incorporating the pork (bacon or maybe even sausage) into the grits themselves, but all that cheese and some cream, we're really getting too rich to be a side.That would share a number of similarities with the Mac 'n Cheese (we've started making that with Hatch Chile lately too). That might be a problem, but the flavor profile works (carbs and cheese is always a winner). When we can only have one side, it's hard to pass up cheesy.Anyway, sorry for the long, random post, but I thought I'd ask for any input, which would be greatly appreciated.
Cincy doesn't have great BBQ (yet), but the best place in town does really good cheddar grits. In fact, it's the only side of theirs that I really like
Good to know. Also just found out there's a place in Asheville that has Jalapeno-Cheese Grits as it's most popular side. I'll give it a shot.

I'm smoking a pork shoulder today. So far, everything has been running smoothly. My WSM has been cruising along right at 250 degrees all morning long.

I'm pretty excited about the BBQ sauce I'm going to make today. I am going to smoke a Vidalia onion on the smoker, roast fresh Hatch chili peppers on my grill, and grill some fresh Palisade peaches and then purée them all in a food processor to add to my ketchup/apple cider vinegar-based BBQ sauce. My goal is to try to infuse the sauce with fresh natural smoky, sweet, and spicy flavors.
That sauce sounds fantastic. Along with the heat, those Hatch chiles have a slight sour, citrus flavor going on too that should be great with the peaches/onion/ketchup/vinegar.

TheFanatic said:
[icon] said:
TheFanatic said:

Cool.Brad Orrison. Whole hog champion in 2013 has no problem getting smoke into his skin-on hog

Just trying to impart some information. But typical reaction...

No, You were presenting your opinion as gospel and were arrogantly dismissive of any implication that there was merit in another method, then name dropped some relatively obscure pit master as validation.

All of which is also "typical" of your posting of late on these types of topics. :)

Smoq?

Did brats, burgers, and hot dogs on the grill this weekend. Nothing fancy, but I did do the grill - then beer bath method for the brats. No one really noticed a difference, but I thought the texture was top notch. I probably needed to do a side by side comparrison, but this will be my go to method from now on.

[icon] said:
TheFanatic said:
[icon] said:
TheFanatic said:

Gettin fed at the Shed

Getting a deal for .60 per lb of Apple Chunks locally.... is that a fair price for buying in hundred pound increments?

Also, how are you guys able to really tell apple wood from other wood? I bought a few pounds from amazon and they look just like other wood chips to me.... can't smell anything either....
Bump

Bump
Applewood has a very distinctive smell, that is how I tell the difference especially when burning

Did 2 swordfish steaks on the grill yesterday. Marinated in olive oil, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and some cajon seasoning for 9 hours then grilled on my gasser.

For the first fish I've ever grilled I thought it was pretty amazing!!

I thought my pulled pork turned out great yesterday. I brined the porn shoulder for a day in a mix of water, salt, brown sugar, and spices and applied a dry rub that I made from paprika, pepper, salt, allspice, chipotle powder, pure maple sugar, honey powder, garlic, and other spices. I smoked it over lump charcoal and apple and hickory wood chips/chunks for around 11 hours. I used the minion method to get my coals going, which seemed to work great as my WSM held a consistent temperature around 250 degrees throughout the entire cook. During the cook, I occasionally mopped it with a mop sauce of apple cider vinegar, apple cider, and spices and even injected it a few times with the mop. I also foiled it in an aluminum pan for about 2.5 hours in the middle of the cook. I thought the pork came out great. It was tender and juicy with nice bark and smoke ring and it pulled apart easily. Here is a pic of the final product:

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/3803/yyw9.jpg

I also thought my BBQ sauce came out great. It was the best sauce that I have ever made. If I had to categorize it geographically, I guess I would call it a Carolina Red sauce, as its base was around 1.5 cups of apple cider vinegar, half a cup of apple cider, and three-fourths of a cup of ketchup -- which gives you a thin tangy red sauce. I added some of my BBQ rub, fresh ground pepper, crushed red and Hatch chile pepper, and sautéed garlic. Then, I puréed the Vidalia onion that I smoked, the Hatch chile peppers that I roasted, and the brown sugar-coated peaches that I grilled in a food processor and added it to the sauce and let it simmer for about 2 hours. The sauce thickened up a decent bit due to the onion/Hatch chile/peach purée, so I ultimately ended up straining the sauce after it had simmered to remove some of that thickness and inconsistent texture. I thought that the final sauce was a great combo of smoky, spicy, sweet, and tangy flavors. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it. I just wish I had made more now.

BigJohn said:
Smoq?
Eli's

I thought my pulled pork turned out great yesterday. I brined the porn shoulder for a day in a mix of water, salt, brown sugar, and spices and applied a dry rub that I made from paprika, pepper, salt, allspice, chipotle powder, pure maple sugar, honey powder, garlic, and other spices. I smoked it over lump charcoal and apple and hickory wood chips/chunks for around 11 hours. I used the minion method to get my coals going, which seemed to work great as my WSM held a consistent temperature around 250 degrees throughout the entire cook. During the cook, I occasionally mopped it with a mop sauce of apple cider vinegar, apple cider, and spices and even injected it a few times with the mop. I also foiled it in an aluminum pan for about 2.5 hours in the middle of the cook. I thought the pork came out great. It was tender and juicy with nice bark and smoke ring and it pulled apart easily. Here is a pic of the final product:

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/3803/yyw9.jpg

I also thought my BBQ sauce came out great. It was the best sauce that I have ever made. If I had to categorize it geographically, I guess I would call it a Carolina Red sauce, as its base was around 1.5 cups of apple cider vinegar, half a cup of apple cider, and three-fourths of a cup of ketchup -- which gives you a thin tangy red sauce. I added some of my BBQ rub, fresh ground pepper, crushed red and Hatch chile pepper, and sautéed garlic. Then, I puréed the Vidalia onion that I smoked, the Hatch chile peppers that I roasted, and the brown sugar-coated peaches that I grilled in a food processor and added it to the sauce and let it simmer for about 2 hours. The sauce thickened up a decent bit due to the onion/Hatch chile/peach purée, so I ultimately ended up straining the sauce after it had simmered to remove some of that thickness and inconsistent texture. I thought that the final sauce was a great combo of smoky, spicy, sweet, and tangy flavors. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it. I just wish I had made more now.
That looks amazing. Maybe I'll have to take a look at smoking as opposed to my usual Santa Maria grill...

Smoq?
Eli's
Smoq has some killer grits, too. Haven't made it to Eli's yet. Thought Smoq was decent. Not as good as mine and they ran out of Brisket right as I ordered. I'd go back, though. Sausage and pulled pork were good.

No, You were presenting your opinion as gospel and were arrogantly dismissive of any implication that there was merit in another method, then name dropped some relatively obscure pit master as validation.

All of which is also "typical" of your posting of late on these types of topics. :)
I was trying to tell you that I have done it skin on and skin off. One had vastly more smoke flavor than the other. Skin on, there was skin in the cavity, but little to none around the outside. That's pretty much food science. I guess that wood truly was magical.

As for Skip Steele being obscure. That's funny. This just in, Memphis is not the end all be all of the BBQ world. Skip is the head pitmaster at Pappy's Smoke House and while still working at Pappy's to this day opened his own Restaurant - Bogart's.

Zagat Named Pappy's #1 in the country

USAToday ranked both Bogart's and Pappy's ribs as top 25

TheDailyMeal.com rated Bogart's the #3 Rib in the country.

TheChive also ranked both Pappy's and Bogart's in the top 25

Food and Wine named Bogart's as one of the best new BBQ restaurants

Obscure?

Hog game out fantastic. Larded skin was crisp and delicious. Possibly the best part of the pig. Cheeks were awesome too.

Oh and we had magic apple wood apparently so the smoke definitely worked into the meat and was quite tasty.

He shoulda protected the hams a little better as they dried out a touch but otherwise my compliments to the chef!
No :pics: ?

Gotcha.

But how solid are the pricing I was quoted?

$.60 per/ LB of Apple chunks......

Bump
Applewood has a very distinctive smell, that is how I tell the difference especially when burning

I did some grilling over a campfire over the weekend along the Colorado River. I just bought a Weber grill grate and then put it over the campfire with support from some well-positioned rocks after the coals were burning pretty hot. The campfire grilling worked out nicely.

I made a bourbon Brie cheese dip that was essentially just a wedge of Brie wrapped in an aluminum foil packet with a few shots of bourbon and lemon juice. I served it with a baguette.

I also made some beef tenderloin kabobs with red peppers and onions that had marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, and other spices. I served it with some grilled corn tortillas.

I also made some s'mores. My trick was, after roasting the marshmallow, I put together the s'more with the chocolate and graham crackers, and then put the fully assembled s'more back over the fire in a grill basket until the chocolate melted and the graham cracker got a touch of grilled crispness. They were delicious. I may need to build a fire pit in my backyard to keep these s'mores coming.

Bought about 5 lbs of hatch chiles over the weekend and roasted them on the grill to make a big batch of Pork Green Chile and another of Vegetarian. Good stuff. I'll probably buy some more next weekend and smoke a couple chickens to make my Southwest Smoked Chicken salad again.

Anybody ever do a fattie for the purpose of using it in a sausage gravy? That might be my next experiment.

Drifter said:
Bought about 5 lbs of hatch chiles over the weekend and roasted them on the grill to make a big batch of Pork Green Chile and another of Vegetarian. Good stuff. I'll probably buy some more next weekend and smoke a couple chickens to make my Southwest Smoked Chicken salad again.

Anybody ever do a fattie for the purpose of using it in a sausage gravy? That might be my next experiment.
You just blew my mind.

Drifter said:

You just blew my mind.
All the time.

I'll put 4 or 5 chubs straight out of the package in the smoker then freeze them just for sausage & biscuits with gravy. Takes it to a whole new level IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread