What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oakland running game (1 Viewer)

FGITLOTR

Footballguy
I own McFadden is dynasty league and was wondering how everyone feels about Bush and Jones, his primary backups. We all know DMac has a proclivity to get nicked up, as has been discussed in his spotlight thread. This is a different thread, in that I'm looking primarily at the future prospects of Bush and Jones.

Let's start with Bush: he's relatively young, shown some promise when DMac went down the past few years, and is an UFA at the end of the year (unless I'm mistaken). I can easily see other teams making a run at him in the off-season. He's a solid power back and would be a great compliment to guys such as Bradshaw, Thomas, or McCoy (just throwing some names out there). Maybe the Raiders resign him, depending on what transpires this year. The way I see it, he's a good value for dynasty owners and should be targeted.

Taiwan Jones- I must say, I was very impressed with his performance against the Saints last week. His game is very similar to DMacs, in that he relies on speed and elusiveness. If DMac went down this year, do the Raiders gameplan in a similar manner, since his skills translate well, or do they have both he and Bush share carries. I assume Bush will get most of the carries, with Jones maybe playing on 3rd down/obvious passing situations. Are you DMac owners choosing Bush or Jones, or neither? It's obviously crazy to handcuff him with both guys, unless you are in a super deep league, but I was hoping to get input from the FG community.

I have heard that there are specific "packages" the Raiders have put in for Jones based on his skills.

I also keep reading about how the Raiders have built their offense around what DMAC can do.

I wouldn't expect the work they have in mind for Jones to be enough to warrant fantasy relevance in of itself but he clearly is the guy of the two that would be most likely to be able to step in if DMAC misses time and do the normal offense things without the Raiders having to change their identity any.

I agree with you also, the kid looked liked he had something unique in the the one pre-season game I ahve seen him in.

proclivity

: an inclination or predisposition toward something;

especially : a strong inherent inclination toward something objectionable

I had to look that word up

I love Taiwan Jones. I also saw him get trucked on a blitz in week 3 preseason game. They actually slowed the replay down and the announcers said "the Raiders can't have that". Raw talent. If you can hold him in dynasty for 2-4 years I think he will pay off big. Perfect taxi squad dynasty guy IMO.

I love Taiwan Jones. I also saw him get trucked on a blitz in week 3 preseason game. They actually slowed the replay down and the announcers said "the Raiders can't have that". Raw talent. If you can hold him in dynasty for 2-4 years I think he will pay off big. Perfect taxi squad dynasty guy IMO.
I think you are on target with your assessment of Jones' dynasty value. How about Bush? Are guys stashing him, in the hope that he gets a nice contract somewhere else next year and is given more touches?

Bush is not relatively young for dynasty. He’s 27 years old. He’ll be a UFA next year, and his long term outlook with the Raiders is limited. He could be a starting RB on any number of teams, but has to bide his time behind a superstar. Bush is more than just a power back, and shows his nimbleness when running through a hole and then finishes off runs lowering his shoulder and making linebackers pay the price. Not an elite RB, but very good. I don’t know how he is considered a good dynasty buy at his age and punishing style.

Taiwan Jones is greased lightning, and his hyper-skitish-stop-on-a-dime-and-cut moves remind one of CJ3. He needs to bulk up to be able to take on a starters workload, and certainly can’t block worth a damn. But he shows patience and instincts in the open field. He’s not just another dumb speed demon. He’s a baller. Definitely a “buy now” in dynasty.

Where this all shakes out depends on DMC’s health. If DMC goes down to injury, and Bush takes on the starter role, Bush will be retained at any cost because of the fear of DMC being “injury-prone”. But if DMC repeats last years role as lead back stud, expect Bush to be dangled in trade offers as they have their backup plan in place with Taiwan Jones.

Jones is interesting but flawed. Collinsworth was glowing in his praise of him during the Saints game. He looked best in a spread formation. But, if you watched the game into the 4thQ (as only Raiders/fantasy fans or mothers of the players would be doing) you saw Jones get absolutely flattened during a blitz (seriously, his feet were knocked out from underneath). Even Collinsworth then noted something to the effect of "...and that is why we won't be seeing much of Mr. Jones just yet."

If I'm the QB I do not want him in there on 3rd and obvious passing downs or I would be the next guy flattened.

Maybe he take some of DMC carries on 1st and 2nd, and Bush everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush is not relatively young for dynasty. He’s 27 years old. He’ll be a UFA next year, and his long term outlook with the Raiders is limited. He could be a starting RB on any number of teams, but has to bide his time behind a superstar. Bush is more than just a power back, and shows his nimbleness when running through a hole and then finishes off runs lowering his shoulder and making linebackers pay the price. Not an elite RB, but very good. I don’t know how he is considered a good dynasty buy at his age and punishing style.Taiwan Jones is greased lightning, and his hyper-skitish-stop-on-a-dime-and-cut moves remind one of CJ3. He needs to bulk up to be able to take on a starters workload, and certainly can’t block worth a damn. But he shows patience and instincts in the open field. He’s not just another dumb speed demon. He’s a baller. Definitely a “buy now” in dynasty.Where this all shakes out depends on DMC’s health. If DMC goes down to injury, and Bush takes on the starter role, Bush will be retained at any cost because of the fear of DMC being “injury-prone”. But if DMC repeats last years role as lead back stud, expect Bush to be dangled in trade offers as they have their backup plan in place with Taiwan Jones.
Thanks, as this is exactly what I was looking for and what makes the Shark Pool so incredible. I'm also on board with Jones as a great dynasty stash and hope the kid can bulk up and get better at blitz pickup, which is definitely not easy.

Maybe he take some of DMC carries on 1st and 2nd
Yeah, maybe not.
Read the whole thread. He meant if DMC was injured, and it was between Jones and Bush--Jones is useless in pass protection right now, and runs similarly to DMC, so it might make sense to use a RBBC more with Jones running on many early downs, and with Bush being entrusted to handle 3rd downs.

'Velveeta22 said:
This about sums it up. You can't ignore pass blocking and Bush is the best pass blocking back on the team by far. He can also do it all. Check out his yards/catch last year: 10.8. That's the same as DMac. Yes, on 18 catches compared to 47, but the notion that Bush is a limited back is false. He can do it all. And he can block.So, while I think Jones is a good stash in deep leagues, his value this year will be limited unless both DMac and Bush are out. Also, the Raiders put a first round tender on Bush to keep this season for reason--they know he is good. Next season I expect Bush will leave if there is a team that will offer him a starting gig. So, if you have DMac and have a deep roster (24 or more players), yes, you want Jones for next year and beyond, as a handcuff. But beyond that I wouldn't use a roster spot on him, not in a 22 roster league anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread