What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No more Boy Scouts (1 Viewer)

i was in scouts in elementary. It was definitely mostly nerds. Dont think I did any in jr high.

My kids were in it, our troop was pretty lax. We’d even do unsanctioned camping and have a few beers

Then it basically disbanded because nobody wanted to run it. New pack was all ex military dudes that were in scouts together as kids. They were ok but also got burnt out and busy so we finally dropped out.

Overall I think it’s positive and I enjoyed my experience, but I also don’t care for the religious ties. I always skipped that part with our kids.

I also get a weird vibe from old dudes dressed as scouts, like the council type guys

I’d be careful talking about “unsanctioned camping” with Boy Scouts as an adult.
IIRC all parents went. And it was at a regular campground not one of the BOA ones where you aren’t allowed to do anything
We have the occasional “Friends of Scouting” event as well. On the regular campouts though, we never drink, but will find an hour to get away from the campsite a bit, but never so far the scouts can’t find us if they need us, and smoke a cigar.

i was in scouts in elementary. It was definitely mostly nerds. Dont think I did any in jr high.

My kids were in it, our troop was pretty lax. We’d even do unsanctioned camping and have a few beers

Then it basically disbanded because nobody wanted to run it. New pack was all ex military dudes that were in scouts together as kids. They were ok but also got burnt out and busy so we finally dropped out.

Overall I think it’s positive and I enjoyed my experience, but I also don’t care for the religious ties. I always skipped that part with our kids.

I also get a weird vibe from old dudes dressed as scouts, like the council type guys

I’d be careful talking about “unsanctioned camping” with Boy Scouts as an adult.
IIRC all parents went. And it was at a regular campground not one of the BOA ones where you aren’t allowed to do anything

Sorry, I was trying to make a pedophile joke and failed miserably.

Scouting America
What could go wrong here?

-I wrote a thread, one of the few I actually started in the now defunct political forum and I didn't sugarcoat my feelings
I think the entire organization is a disgrace and looking back it seems obvious what was happening

I was never part of the Scouts and never felt any connection to anything or anyone involved with it when i was a kid. Most of them looked miserable to me.
Of course I grew up in the Catholic Church and mostly looked miserable on Sunday Mornings about 9am

Last edited:
Scouting America

-I wrote a thread, one of the few I actually started in the now defunct political forum and I didn't sugarcoat my feelings
I think the entire organization is a disgrace and looking back it seems obvious what was happening

I was never part of the Scouts and never felt any connection to anything or anyone involved with it when i was a kid. Most of them looked miserable to me.
Of course I grew up in the Catholic Church and mostly looked miserable on Sunday Mornings about 9am
And your point is?

My son (11) is in his first year as a Boy Scout (or whatever it's called now) and there are about 1/3 girls in the troop. He was in a unisex Cub Scouts since 1st grade.

They separate the boys/girls into "patrols", mainly due to grouping them for camping.

My son doesn't really like it, mainly because the meetings are weekly and they reprimand you (supposedly) if you don't make it to 3/4 of the meetings. We're gonna stick with it only because he likes to hike/camp and I feel there are good opportunities to speak to groups and work with different types of people (age, gender, ethnicity, etc.). Plus the only other outlet he has is flag football. Would rather him have some other things going on to keep him off his stupid iPad.

My son (11) is in his first year as a Boy Scout (or whatever it's called now) and there are about 1/3 girls in the troop. He was in a unisex Cub Scouts since 1st grade.

They separate the boys/girls into "patrols", mainly due to grouping them for camping.

My son doesn't really like it, mainly because the meetings are weekly and they reprimand you (supposedly) if you don't make it to 3/4 of the meetings. We're gonna stick with it only because he likes to hike/camp and I feel there are good opportunities to speak to groups and work with different types of people (age, gender, ethnicity, etc.). Plus the only other outlet he has is flag football. Would rather him have some other things going on to keep him off his stupid iPad.

Does your troop do a week at summer camp? Usually if we get a scout to attend summer camp that first year, they come back amped up and really get a lot more out of scouting. The ones that don’t go for whatever reason (some valid, some pretty lame like “my cousins birthday is that week”)

If they go and they hate it, well, at least you tried something new and you found out early you don’t like it.

Weekly meetings, that is intense. There are some families that are so into scouting and cub scouts that it is their lifestyle. You could literally do something scouting every day if you wanted to.

My daughter is in girl scouts and the local troop is run by 2 dads. Although there is nominally a woman in charge but she doesn't do anything. The focus of this troop is all about outdoors activities like camping, hiking, kayaking, archery, dog sledding, etc.

Every once in a while my 10 year old daughter comes home with a painting or other craft, but that's not the real focus. It's all about camping.

Scouting America

And your point is?
The same point he never has.

I am an Assistant Scoutmaster and an Eagle Scout. Our troop is run by the scouts(boys), we are there to make sure they learn the skills correctly and don't get severely injured. Most of our scouts have sports. We have 20 scouts. Our meetings typically have 10 scouts that attend, the others are a practice. The 10 vary depending on season. We have attended events with Scouts that are girls. They have been great scouts too.

We start all meetings with a flag ceremony (marching), Pledge of Allegiance, Scout Oath and Law. The "Reverent" in the scout law is learned as being open to all religions and the absence of religion. We have a variety of religious beliefs in our troop even though our charter organization is a United Methodist Church.

The name change will be a good thing for Scouts going forward. I get to enjoy the high adventure trip this year to the US Virgin Islands.

I have worked with several other Eagle Scouts in the Tech field. Only 1% of boys achieve Eagle scout, so it is not common to find one. I have not had it on my resume since my second job.

That is too bad, ours is closer to only 1/2 of the weeks during the school year and they are lax about people missing. Although neither of our kids ever want to miss, they love it.

We start all meetings with a flag ceremony (marching), Pledge of Allegiance, Scout Oath and Law. The "Reverent" in the scout law is learned as being open to all religions and the absence of religion. We have a variety of religious beliefs in our troop even though our charter organization is a United Methodist Church.

I live in a very diverse part of the country, a high percentage of immigrants and people of various races/religions. There are both hindu's and muslims, in addition to all of the various christian sects in my kids troop. Even many of the christians in the troop are from immigrant families, like my boy's best friend in scouts his dad is from germany and mom from peru.

The religious part of it is probably much laxer than many other groups because of this, which i appreciate.

I did live in Mormon country as a kid, and those troops you had to go to the specific church. Each of the mormon churches had their own troops. Scouts can be drastically different experience depending on where you live.

Scouting America

And your point is?
The same point he never has.
I expect better from you, when does MoP go after individuals/posters in here?
:p

Well, Marcia Brady, it took a long long time, but you did it. Congrats on this incredible journey.

No opinion on scouting, but we've been removing opportunities for boys for decades now, and I know folks are seeing the results because it comes up in other threads.

I don't think this is changing any opportunities. Girls were already allowed in, since 2018 I believe.

It's literally just a name change, right? Or is something else changing too? And while they'll publicly say otherwise, the name change likely has less to do with inclusivity and more to do with rebranding to disassociate themselves from the lawsuit settlement over 86,000 counts of pedophelia accusations.

Last edited:
Scouting America

And your point is?
That there's a bunch of creepers in the Scouts! Stick to safe places-- like the Catholic Church.

No opinion on scouting, but we've been removing opportunities for boys for decades now, and I know folks are seeing the results because it comes up in other threads.

My boy still does scouts, I don't understand what opportunity was removed.

Assuming he is meaning the opportunity to be a male only organization
The other thing that people that are posting that are forgetting, probably because none of them have school age kids right now is that it is nice as a parent to have kids activities line up on the same night/timeslot. It is more inconvenient if we had to take them separate activities on different nights.

That wastes more of our times as parents.

Plus the kids get to do activities together and will have shared memories of all these camping trips as adults that they would have missed out on a generation ago since I have both a son and a daughter.

I think there are some parts of the country, like Utah/Idaho, where the majority of people associated with scouts think that boys/girls should be completely separated still, but thankfully that is a minority.

Yes, this part. We all seem to recognize that its good for girls to have access to some girls only spaces, but for some reason people seem blind to the idea that many boys also benefit from being around other boys. TBH I did not know that the boy scouts were already coed. That's when I should have raised this point, but it goes beyond just scouting anyway.

Yes, this part. We all seem to recognize that its good for girls to have access to some girls only spaces, but for some reason people seem blind to the idea that many boys also benefit from being around other boys. TBH I did not know that the boy scouts were already coed. That's when I should have raised this point, but it goes beyond just scouting anyway.

I am glad you are not in charge, it is a better experience for both my kids that they are able to be in the same scout program.

Does your troop do a week at summer camp? Usually if we get a scout to attend summer camp that first year, they come back amped up and really get a lot more out of scouting. The ones that don’t go for whatever reason (some valid, some pretty lame like “my cousins birthday is that week”)

If they go and they hate it, well, at least you tried something new and you found out early you don’t like it.
I'm pretty sure they do. They do outings (weekends, mostly) at least monthly. My son may not be up for the week-long event because he's such a picky eater (something we're working on, slowly). For the weekend events he's able to pack a few sandwiches and avoid having to eat the "camp food".

I'm pretty sure they do. They do outings (weekends, mostly) at least monthly. My son may not be up for the week-long event because he's such a picky eater (something we're working on, slowly). For the weekend events he's able to pack a few sandwiches and avoid having to eat the "camp food".
A laudable goal. Mr R has stories about the "oatmeal" at camp. Ick.

I am glad you are not in charge, it is a better experience for both my kids that they are able to be in the same scout program.
Does this apply to girls-only activities too, or just boys? Like I said, I'm mostly indifferent about scouting specifically, but the overall trajectory of how we're handling these seems perverse and kind of malicious.

I admit to being on the nerdy side as a kid and knew that was the perception of scouts but I didn't care. Being able to get out of Queens to go camping once a month and two weeks in the summer was awesome for a city kid. Not sure how it equates with sports though, since I played every sport possible all year long. Athleticism and competition is a big part of scouting.
no scouts for me in queens. i did the bungalow colony route and caught soupy sales at kutschers. i had a paper route. don’t know anyone in BSA nor do i remember ever seeing a uniform.

Does this apply to girls-only activities too, or just boys? Like I said, I'm mostly indifferent about scouting specifically, but the overall trajectory of how we're handling these seems perverse and kind of malicious.

It sounds like you are just trolling and want to complain about some fake double standard that only exists in your head, but i will answer the question.

I do think girl scouts might have missed the boat, if they were accepting of boys then maybe their ranks would not have fallen so fast and they would get the families looking for a scouting experience that both kids could be a part of.

The fact that both my kids get to be in the same scout program is a net benefit not just for me but for many of the families. We are not the only family with both a son and a daughter in the troop.

To answer your question, yes this would have been a net benefit to girl scouts based on my experience. they should have tried to beat the boy scouts to the punch 2 decades ago.

I do think girl scouts might have missed the boat, if they were accepting of boys then maybe their ranks would not have fallen so fast and they would get the families looking for a scouting experience that both kids could be a part of.
I guess Covid had nothing to do with it.

I achieved eagle in a troop with a retired air force colonel as scoutmaster. I've worked with, and interviewed software engineers for 35 years and have never met another engineer admitting to be an eagle scout.
Yeah, I've done a lot of resume filtering and interviewing for new engineers, and I don't think I remember anyone listing any high school achievement. I guess occasionally you see someone who just never took some HS academic achievement off, but I never saw an Eagle Scout. It would have been a very slight negative for me, along with any other high school achievement... that was a different life, this is a professional adult job.

I am talking more the general decline over the last 40 years, but covid hit both scouts enrollment numbers pretty hard I believe.

I achieved eagle in a troop with a retired air force colonel as scoutmaster. I've worked with, and interviewed software engineers for 35 years and have never met another engineer admitting to be an eagle scout.
Yeah, I've done a lot of resume filtering and interviewing for new engineers, and I don't think I remember anyone listing any high school achievement. I guess occasionally you see someone who just never took some HS academic achievement off, but I never saw an Eagle Scout. It would have been a very slight negative for me, along with any other high school achievement... that was a different life, this is a professional adult job.
To get to Eagle Scout, they have been through a board of review for every rank, which acts much like a job interview and teaches them to interact with adults. They act as the manager for their project. They do the design work, plan for materials and funding, all of it. They manage the labor and aren’t meant to do the brunt of the physical labor (really hardly any).

This all serves to prepare a scout for a professional adult job. Marking them down for including that in a resume is a mistake, imo.

I am talking more the general decline over the last 40 years, but covid hit both scouts enrollment numbers pretty hard I believe.
That and the LDS church stopped requiring all boys to join scouts and were going to adopt their own youth programming. They aren’t forbidden by their church to participate, but the end result is still a big drop in numbers.

In reviewing candidates for an entry level job, an Eagle Scout designation on the resume for me is an indicator of grit (passion and perseverance in achieving long-term goals). I wouldn’t, however, expect to see it on a resume for someone further along in their career.

In reviewing candidates for an entry level job, an Eagle Scout designation on the resume for me is an indicator of grit (passion and perseverance in achieving long-term goals). I wouldn’t, however, expect to see it on a resume for someone further along in their career.
It's akin to posting your GPA

And that's why Mr R always listed it on his resume.

It's akin to posting your GPA
:no:

Not exactly a hot take, but I rather suspect that the impact of including Eagle Scout on a resume would depend almost entirely on the person reviewing said resume. If it's someone with no exposure to scouting, it would likely mean close to nothing, whereas if the reviewer was a scout or involved/exposed to scouting in some way, they would see if quite favorably. That said, I assume it can't hurt no matter the reviewer.

I have always had, and still do have, it on mine. Not as like a job line, but down in the 1-2 line "personal interests" section of stuff that is almost always what people want to talk about at the start and end of an interview. It's like Eagle Scout, pickup basketball, fantasy football, cooking for others...I think I have a couple others I keep locked and loaded depending on my sense of a company or interviewer's culture, but the number of times I have been interviewing someone or they have been interviewing me and started with "saw you're an eagle scout, that's awesome, me too..." and it is an immediately positive start is not close to zero.

If i saw "eagle scout" on a resume for a 45 year old i would chuckle and wonder if he wears his uniform for yard work.

On a 22 year old's resume, I would give it weight.
Kind of where I’d be at. Had a person in their mid 30s with “captain of their college soccer team” on their resume. Felt like an Uncle Rico moment.

If i saw "eagle scout" on a resume for a 45 year old i would chuckle and wonder if he wears his uniform for yard work.

That’s fair. I would hope at that age it would fit under interests and they’d possibly be a volunteer leader in their child’s pack or troop.

On the other hand, if only just once I’d dunked a basketball, or struck out some future major leaguer, that’d be in my resume forever.

That’s fair. I would hope at that age it would fit under interests and they’d possibly be a volunteer leader in their child’s pack or troop.

On the other hand, if only just once I’d dunked a basketball, or struck out some future major leaguer, that’d be in my resume forever.
At what point did we start putting interests on a resume?

As someone doing the interview I always looked for that kind of stuff. Most of my questions centered more around personality, likes, dislikes with respect to life and a job environment. In most cases I can teach the particulars of the job to whoever I am hiring.....what I can't teach is personality and how to get along with people. I wanted to bring people in that would fit into my teams environment because that was the most important thing to me. You bring a cancer in and everything goes to hell. I bring in someone that can get along with the group and can learn then I have someone that everyone is willing to help and support and be a part of what we are trying to do.

I had great success in hiring with this approach. I only had to fire one person out of the 15-20 people I have hired over the years. Most of the time I had other departments trying to steal my people because they fit in and worked. The only guy I had to fire fit in fine but for whatever reason just couldn't get the job down. He was actually relieved when we parted ways because he agreed the work just wasn't for him. Good dude and tried hard but just didn't grasp it.

As someone doing the interview I always looked for that kind of stuff. Most of my questions centered more around personality, likes, dislikes with respect to life and a job environment. In most cases I can teach the particulars of the job to whoever I am hiring.....what I can't teach is personality and how to get along with people. I wanted to bring people in that would fit into my teams environment because that was the most important thing to me. You bring a cancer in and everything goes to hell. I bring in someone that can get along with the group and can learn then I have someone that everyone is willing to help and support and be a part of what we are trying to do.

I had great success in hiring with this approach. I only had to fire one person out of the 15-20 people I have hired over the years. Most of the time I had other departments trying to steal my people because they fit in and worked. The only guy I had to fire fit in fine but for whatever reason just couldn't get the job down. He was actually relieved when we parted ways because he agreed the work just wasn't for him. Good dude and tried hard but just didn't grasp it.
Sure but isn't that what the interview is for? Just because I like golf and no one in your group does, doesn't mean I won't be a good fit. Maybe out of college I had it on there but it's not been on any of my resume and I seem to recall specifically being told to not do that. Of course I've been at the same place for 15 years so shrug

Sure but isn't that what the interview is for?
You're assuming everyone gets an interview.
Sifting through resumes is an absolute crap shoot. I wanted a concise (1 page) highlight of things. Not a lot of explaining more top level bullets. I also liked seeing some personal interest stuff. While you being a golfer and me not won't hurt you it is good to know you have other interests.

All that being said, every evaluator will be different. My recommendation would be to be truthful and give a good representation of yourself on paper. That is more important for a good fit for both parties. If the guy looking through resumes hates golfers and knocks you down because of it......you probably won't be a good fit there anyway.

Sure but isn't that what the interview is for?
You're assuming everyone gets an interview.
Right so why get dinged if my interest "of hookers and blow" don't match the interviewers interests....

My outside interests don't reflect how I am as a team member/co worker/ or person.

I get along with most of my team great but we don't have a ton in common (minus kids and families) :)

I mean knock on wood I don't have to worry but I never had it and got employed for the jobs I was looking.....suave

Users who are viewing this thread