What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Saban on Instincts vs Things One Can Coach (1 Viewer)

Love this.

@EmmanuelAcho

Nick Saban explaining and defining athletic instincts is maybe the most fascinating thing I’ve ever heard. All sports fans, listen to this:

I heard Dane Brugler (or read?) recently say that everyone gets floor and ceiling wrong.

He said the sick athleticism sets the floor. The between the ears, instincts, work ethic sets the ceiling.

I never heard that before.

Love this.

@EmmanuelAcho

Nick Saban explaining and defining athletic instincts is maybe the most fascinating thing I’ve ever heard. All sports fans, listen to this:

I heard Dane Brugler (or read?) recently say that everyone gets floor and ceiling wrong.

He said the sick athleticism sets the floor. The between the ears, instincts, work ethic sets the ceiling.

Thanks. That's interesting. I'm not sure I'd agree with Brugler there although he's awesome and I'm a noob at scouting like this. But it feels to me athleticism/instinct has a big effect on ceiling too.

Some players can work as hard as they can and do but are limited by their athleticism.

Some players can work as hard as they can and do but are limited by their athleticism.
And they have a lower floor than other guys.

Tom Brady and Jerry Rice the best ever. Their ceiling was not determined by their athleticism, that's all Brugler means.

You have minimums for athletic ability, and an insane athlete has a higher floor, but if he doesn't have what Brugler and Saban are talking about, he does NOT have the highest ceiling.

And they have a lower floor than other guys.

Tom Brady and Jerry Rice the best ever. Their ceiling was not determined by their athleticism, that's all Brugler means.

You have minimums for athletic ability, and an insane athlete has a higher floor, but if he doesn't have what Brugler and Saban are talking about, he does NOT have the highest ceiling.

Yes. I'm sure he's not worried about it but I'll disagree with Brugler on that one. It is an interesting way to see it though.

Love this.

@EmmanuelAcho

I fully understand what he is saying...the foundation of every pro athlete is physical talent...without that it doesn't matter how smart and how hard you work you can't overcome not having that...I will also add that many people cannot properly ID athletic talent...it is not one size fits all...Tom Brady is the perfect example...some don't think he is anything special as an athlete which I find funny because when you are 6'4" 220lb and you got drafted by two pro sports leagues you are an elite athlete.

Love this.

@EmmanuelAcho

I fully understand what he is saying...the foundation of every pro athlete is physical talent...without that it doesn't matter how smart and how hard you work you can't overcome not having that...I will also add that many people cannot properly ID athletic talent...it is not one size fits all...Tom Brady is the perfect example...some don't think he is anything special as an athlete which I find funny because when you are 6'4" 220lb and you got drafted by two pro sports leagues you are an elite athlete.

Yes. It's not nearly as easy to identify as a 40 time. It's like Saban is saying, it's the understanding and instantly identifying the pitch as soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand type stuff. Way tougher to identify.

Users who are viewing this thread