What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Off-Season thread:Down goes Kane! (1 Viewer)

Flyers signed Nick Schultz to a 2 yr deal 2.25 per.

Meh.

Only good thing is that it looks like the Flyers might start moving some of their defensemen for ham sammiches.

I think this comment about sums it up

I think the highest praise I can offer is: Schultz is at least half as good as MacDonald, so at least we’re getting better at this.

Dumba showing his potential at both ends of the ice last night. made a couple positional mistakes but was otherwise very good, notably a big sliding takeaway on a brief 3 on 1 down low late in the game. filled in huge with Spurgeon getting knocked out of the game early.

Loved it when Anthony LaPanta said at one point versus Calgary, "Prosser has 27 hits this season and probably has 5x as many against him." Oof.

He did absorb some great hits in the Vancouver game but he made the plays on those hits nonetheless so I have to give him credit for that.

Doing away with the loser point and giving 3 or even just 2 for a regulation or overtime win would be fine with me.If they keep the shootout around but not hand out the loser point I would be ok with it.

Why does Babcock hate Jakub Kindl? Saw the GR Griffins play last night and he looked good. Mantha on the other hand looked slow and weak.

Also, is Babcock to Toronto a done deal next year? I've heard that rumor somewhere.

Also, is Babcock to Toronto a done deal next year? I've heard that rumor somewhere.
not sure why people assume this. why would Babcock want any piece of that dumpster fire? They are just now deciding to tear things down and rebuild.
Babcock to Toronto seems to be wishful thinking on most Leafs fans parts and the longer Babcock doesn't re-sign with Detroit, the more hope they have he will jump ship.

brianj74 said:
not sure why people assume this. why would Babcock want any piece of that dumpster fire? They are just now deciding to tear things down and rebuild.
Babcock to Toronto seems to be wishful thinking on most Leafs fans parts and the longer Babcock doesn't re-sign with Detroit, the more hope they have he will jump ship.
Babcock can name his price and go anywhere he wants. Why would he put himself through that ####? Detroit has a very very bright future. I say he stays, with a big fat contract.

Why does Babcock hate Jakub Kindl? Saw the GR Griffins play last night and he looked good. Mantha on the other hand looked slow and weak.

This is the time of year Detroit will rotate new guys up for a look. Pulkennin (SP) is up right now, and Jurco sat last night. I think Kindl needs playing time, so having him in the box doesn't help. Hate to hear that about Mantha.

I think Sheahan looked weak on the puck last night. He needs to be stronger.

I highly doubt Babcock would leave the talent in Detroit to come to a rebuild with the Flyers, but you can believe they'll wave a blank check in front of him and give it a shot.

I highly doubt Babcock would leave the talent in Detroit to come to a rebuild with the Flyers, but you can believe they'll wave a blank check in front of him and give it a shot.
Sabres fans hoping Pegula and McEichel could lure him too. He's going to make a lot but I'll still be surprised if Detroit can't keep him.

Pens sleep walking through another game with a hapless team. Crosby invisible for the 1st period, is he even playing tonight. Par for the course looks & like a 1st round beat down kind of year.

Boys,

Follow thread but don't post much. Just want to drop in and, regrettably, go on records suing the Flames aren't making the playoffs. Has been a long drought here and the city is electric at the moment of the mere possibility.

Unfortunately (for Flames fans) the Kings will make it and the flames play Anaheim then head out on a 7 game Eastern trip (where they have been awful) against mostly good teams and then come back to play Anaheim again. Even if they grab half the points in that trip they will be on the outside looking in at the end of it.

Hope I'm wrong. Either way, has been a fun year in "rebuild" mode. Good story line throughout the year.

Anyway, love the thread. Hockey rules. So does Kipper. That is all.

Gotta love the NHL these days, you can 2 hand baseball swing & hit any part of the body and that's clean. But break a stick and automatic penalty, effing pathetic.

Pens have to best passing power play in the league. If they gave goals for most passes without a shot on power plays, pens would never lose. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who dropped a couple hundred on the piss poor performance

I think the columbus goalie was actually playing net in a street hockey game I played in the other night. We even got more than 1 in on him

God, I hate shootouts. Rangers/Vancouver had a playoff atmosphere and to have it come down to, what someone else aptly described it as "a skills competition" really sucks.

At least do a 20 minute OT first.

Great game though. St. Louis has looked good for a couple of games now, hopefully coming out of his funk. That would be huge to have him back to normal down the stretch. Really liking this team but they could use a little help on D.

Wayne Simmonds didn't even pretend to try scoring there.

Flyers are tanking too
SImmonds has tried the same thing successfully the last few shootouts (stickhandling 172 times). He just did it about 14 times too many and a nice poke check.

Flyers are just extremely mediocre at best.

Coburn has looked horrible since he came back and teh defense in general did a great job of not marking people.

Loving the way Trotz has the Caps playing right now.Best they have looked since the Boudreau season when they won the Presidents Trophy and even that season they didn't play anywhere close to the same D this team does.

I'll say this again.Nicklas Backstrom is simply an elite player in this league but never gets his due when it comes to awards or recognition and that's a damn shame because the way he is playing he deserves it.Can play in any situation against any opponent and does a great job and rarely has a bad night.

Holtby has also made that huge next step up and is pushing to get his name in the elite category of goaltenders.He has been rock solid with the exception of the start of the season and is the a huge piece of this puzzle for Trotz if they want to make a long run come playoff time.

Ovie is on fire,enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
God, I hate shootouts. Rangers/Vancouver had a playoff atmosphere and to have it come down to, what someone else aptly described it as "a skills competition" really sucks.

Great game though. St. Louis has looked good for a couple of games now, hopefully coming out of his funk. That would be huge to have him back to normal down the stretch. Really liking this team but they could use a little help on D.
I was there last night. Was definitely a good crowd. Couple bad goals allowed by both Cam and Miller.

They gonna give the kid ginger his first action tonight, second of a B2B and 3 in 4 nights? Given how Talbot has looked with all this extra work, I think you gotta get him a breather.

I was there last night. Was definitely a good crowd. Couple bad goals allowed by both Cam and Miller.

They gonna give the kid ginger his first action tonight, second of a B2B and 3 in 4 nights? Given how Talbot has looked with all this extra work, I think you gotta get him a breather.
I know that tonight's game has been looked at as a possible chance for Skapski (I had to look it up) depending on Talbot's performance. What's the latest on Henrik? How many more games will he miss? I wouldn't be shocked if they went with Skapski but I'd rather see Talbot again if he's feeling good. Especially after that shootout.

Was watching a show last night on the Russia-Team Canada series. They were interviewing Gary Bergman about what a great series he had and then showed a few clips. When I was watching I thought Bergman would be suspended in todays NHL for multiple games. A low bridge and then took a players knee. Not even a penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-XuYFhkOc

Hip checks were common back in the day. They weren't considered dirty, they were just good body checks. I may have the name wrong but I think Brian Glennie from Toronto was another guy who was pretty good at the ole hip check. Personally I think by removing this type of check from the game they have caused more head injuries because the checks are now upper body. Is it not the same in football? Everyone is so worried about the knees that the hits are all high and the result is more head injuries.

Note: I have absolutely no proof of this conjecture.

Hip checks were common back in the day. They weren't considered dirty, they were just good body checks. I may have the name wrong but I think Brian Glennie from Toronto was another guy who was pretty good at the ole hip check. Personally I think by removing this type of check from the game they have caused more head injuries because the checks are now upper body. Is it not the same in football? Everyone is so worried about the knees that the hits are all high and the result is more head injuries.

I think it's the opposite. Players are worried about hits to the head so they are going lower. Nothing wrong with a good hip check, but the Kulikov hit was too low though imo.

I think it's the opposite. Players are worried about hits to the head so they are going lower. Nothing wrong with a good hip check, but the Kulikov hit was too low though imo.
Well, maybe the trend now is for lower hits, but 5 years ago you rarely saw these so ya, maybe now the lower hit is coming back due to head injuries. i dont' think it's the opposite, I think it's all just reactionary to the times.

####, Steve montador suicide :(
Oh no. ####.
haven't seen suicide reported anywhere. I know that seems likely given what we know about head injuries these days, but also possible it was something else.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nhl-reporter-retracts-steve-montador-suicide-report.html
I like Mirtle. I don't fault him for making that assumption given all we know, but I was surprised that I saw NV's post here and then saw no mention of it that way anywhere else. makes more sense now. thanks for posting that link.

Was coming on to post about MSL. He's been playing much better over the past several games since we started to talk about him. I'm guessing he's a regular reader of this thread.

I would also give Talbot a break. See how the Rangers respond to playing in front of a rookie goalie.

Users who are viewing this thread