What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NHL Off-Season thread:Down goes Kane! (1 Viewer)

Foosball God said:
Pronger signed his contract after the age of 35. It was my understanding that if you signed a contract under the age of 35 it got significantly reduced and was based off of the value of the remaining contract and the years. If you signed your deal over the age of 35 then the club was stuck with the full contract amount on their cap.
It's based on the cap savings the team has received at the time of retirement. Capgeek isn't often wrong, doubt they are now. Link
Yeah, cap recapture penalties are part of the new CBA. I think it's the main reason the Sabres dumped Ehrhoff the way they did.

Foosball God said:
Johan Franzen's cap hit of just under 4 mil per, until he turns 41, is pretty gross as well.
:confused:

he's got 10 points in 9 games played this year.

put up a respectable 41 in 54 last year, and 31 in 41 the year before.

where's the downside of paying a guy who puts up that kind of production with a $4MM cap hit?
People get caught up in Franzen because he is streaky. But his cap hit is really not that bad for what he brings, and it isn't like he is going to play until he is 41 anyway. He'll retire and that will be wiped off the books.
That's not accurate. Depending on when he retires the Wings will take a ~2.5 to 2.9M cap recapture penalty for each of the remaining years of the contract. The only way they don't eat it is if he gets hurt and stays on LTIR sort of like what happened with Pronger. Hawks have the same issue with Hossa, but the cap recapture hit is higher for Hossa.
Pronger signed his contract after the age of 35. It was my understanding that if you signed a contract under the age of 35 it got significantly reduced and was based off of the value of the remaining contract and the years. If you signed your deal over the age of 35 then the club was stuck with the full contract amount on their cap.
It's based on the cap savings the team has received at the time of retirement. Capgeek isn't often wrong, doubt they are now. Link
Thanks for the link :thumbup:

Foosball God said:
Johan Franzen's cap hit of just under 4 mil per, until he turns 41, is pretty gross as well.

where's the downside of paying a guy who puts up that kind of production with a $4MM cap hit?
People get caught up in Franzen because he is streaky. But his cap hit is really not that bad for what he brings, and it isn't like he is going to play until he is 41 anyway. He'll retire and that will be wiped off the books.
That's not accurate. Depending on when he retires the Wings will take a ~2.5 to 2.9M cap recapture penalty for each of the remaining years of the contract. The only way they don't eat it is if he gets hurt and stays on LTIR sort of like what happened with Pronger. Hawks have the same issue with Hossa, but the cap recapture hit is higher for Hossa.
Hossa is a huge concern for the Hawks IMO. If he retires early they are screwed...same with Keith.

ETA that post with the link is kind of dickish....sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foosball God said:
Yeah, cap recapture penalties are part of the new CBA. I think it's the main reason the Sabres dumped Ehrhoff the way they did.
It's also why the Rangers got rid of Richards. He had three years of $1MM salaries at the end of the deal, which he would have retired before collecting, and I think it would have been $6MM in dead space for the first year, $8MM in the second, and something ridiculous in the third.

It's also why the Rangers got rid of Richards. He had three years of $1MM salaries at the end of the deal, which he would have retired before collecting, and I think it would have been $6MM in dead space for the first year, $8MM in the second, and something ridiculous in the third.
if he was still playing like a #1 C, not sure what they would have done. he made the decision easy for them with his play though.

Foosball God said:

Hossa is a huge concern for the Hawks IMO. If he retires early they are screwed...same with Keith.

ETA that post with the link is kind of dickish....sorry about that.
I didn't take it that way. I appreciate the information.

thank goodness for Buffalo being on the schedule this Thursday.
they played pretty well last night and still lost by 5
Guy I work with pointed out the Sabres are on 10 percent of NBC Sports games the rest of the season. (I think he needs a hobby.)
not sure if it is holding up with the way the team has played of late, but the Buffalo tv market is probably one of the strongest for them.

Kesler was awesome tonight
:goodposting:

He's up to 14 points in 17 games.

Winning 56% of his draws.

Ranks 2nd among Ducks forwards in hits with 47

Plays 2+ minutes/night short-handed as their top penalty killer.

Also plays on the top PP unit.

Nick Bonino contributing in Couver too. Also has 14 points in 17 games. He's not good on draws (46% while taking 2nd most on the team) but he ranks 1st among Canucks forwards in blocked shots and takeaways, and is also seeing a lot of time short-handed.

Looks like a deal that is working out well for both teams.

Ballard and Folin recently get back from it and now Brodin and Scandella now have the mysterious mumps going around? oof.

at least they get Spurgeon back tonight which was a bigger loss than Parise IMO.

pretty thin on the back end tonight, Prosser has not been good this year, Ballard is always up and down, and Folin/Dumba make a lot of rookie mistakes.

GB the Sabres.

My son has been walking around singing allez montreal all night. We had no idea what he was saying. Then he put it on his ipad using that we just scored site.

How about the 'couv?? Are they for real, I didn't see them being this good. :shrug:
no, I don't think so.

Miller playing well though, and now Markstrom is killing it in the AHL after he made it through waivers.
I'll avoid the irrational "I hate Ryan Miller" response and just point out the facts:

-He is 22nd in goals against.

-He is 33rd in save percentage.

-Vancouver is 11th in goals scored per game.

-Vancouver is 21st in goals allowed per game.

So, I think it is not unreasonable to say that Vancouver's offense is the main reason why they are off to a good start. Miller is not playing poorly, but he's not setting the world on fire either. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The STL line (Schwartz, Tarasenko, Lehtera) just refuses to be stopped. 9 straight games with a goal and they have two tonight (Schwartz and Lehtera).

Blues fans have been begging for a scoring line this dominating since Adam Oates fed Brett Hull in the early 90s.

Rangers win the shootout, but they didn't. Winner was on a rebound. Teams already in the lockeroom, game still on. I've never seen this.

Users who are viewing this thread