What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL assigns #1 crew in penalties to Dallas/ Minnesota game WHY? (1 Viewer)

texasbirdfan

Footballguy
http://nflblog.dallasnews.com/archives/201...n-gets-cow.html

Why would the NFL office assign their top penalty crew to one of the marquee TV games of the season? Do we like watching a game with loads of flags? No one I know. They throw MORE for the home team unlike other refs!

Coincidence or conspiracy?

Yellow flags: Anderson gets Cowboys-Vikings game

9:52 AM Wed, Jan 13, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Rick Gosselin/Columnist E-mail News tips

The Cowboys haven't even boarded the plane yet for their NFC semifinal game with the Minnesota Vikings this weekend but already have caught a huge break. A league source said the NFL has assigned the officiating crew of Walt Anderson to work the game between the Cowboys and Vikings.

The Anderson crew was the only one of the league's 17 officiating crews to assess 200 penalties this season. It also led the league with its 1,794 penalty yards, 172 more than the No. 2 crew. That should alarm the Cowboys, one of the league's most penalized teams this season.

But it's even more alarming to the Vikings. Anderson's crew was harder on home teams than any officiating crew this season. It assessed 113 penalties for a staggering 1,029 yards on home teams.

As a means of comparison, the Cowboys drew the Ed Hochuli crew for its opening-round playoff game last weekend. Working the same number of games (15) during the regular season, the Hochuli crew called 22 fewer penalties for 317 fewer yards against home teams than Anderson.

Anderson's crew assessed 10 or more penalties against six teams this season. Five of them were home teams. He also assessed 100 or more yards in penalties against five teams. Four of them were home teams.

Anderson worked one game apiece involving the Cowboys and Vikings this the season. In the Minnesota-Detroit game at Minneapolis, Anderson assessed 13 penalties for 91 yards against the Vikings. His crew penalized Detroit only four times for 40 yards. In the Cowboys-Broncos game at Denver, Anderson penalized the Broncos 10 times for 81 yards. He penalized the Cowboys seven times for 70 yards.

In the Baltimore-Green Bay game in December, Anderson walked off an NFL season-high 310 yards in penalties. He was hard on the road Ravens, assessing 12 penalties for 135 yards. But he was even harder on the home Packers, assessing 11 penalties for 175 yards.

Wow aren't you the same guy who was crying foul over Dallas getting 8 days rest? Is there an agenda here>? Just wondering

Wow aren't you the same guy who was crying foul over Dallas getting 8 days rest? Is there an agenda here>? Just wondering
Live in "Boy" country now. Falcon fan most of my life so maybe an agenda. The "8 days rest" post was posed as a question where I wanted it explained if it could be and it was basically a "fact" not an opinion. This post is also from a Dallas NFL writer blog and I am wondering the same thing the article says. It was also published in today's Dallas Morning News....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the networks would love Dallas to continue on to the SB. Whether or not there is a conspiracy is another question. If there was (and there likely isn't) it certainly wouldn't shock me.

Live in "Boy" country now. Falcon fan most of my life so maybe an agenda. The "8 days rest" post was posed as a question where I wanted it explained if it could be and it was basically a "fact" not an opinion. This post is also from a Dallas NFL writer blog and I am wondering the same thing the article says. It was also published in today's Dallas Morning News....
Ok thats cool.....On being a birdfan...whats your take on Keith Brookings effect on this team this year? He's getting alot of credit for this turnaround this year. I never realized he would fit in this good and have this big an impact. Was he always this way with his team and why did the Falcons let this kind of motivator leave? Seems you can't put a price on that kind of leadership. Edit to add....so sorry for the hijack

Ok thats cool.....On being a birdfan...whats your take on Keith Brookings effect on this team this year? He's getting alot of credit for this turnaround this year. I never realized he would fit in this good and have this big an impact. Was he always this way with his team and why did the Falcons let this kind of motivator leave? Seems you can't put a price on that kind of leadership.
Yea it was openly discussed by the front office before Brooking bolted. Falcons wanted his locker-room fire but he was going to play back-up in Atlanta's 4-3. Dallas has a 3-4 better suited for Keith's waning skills (still remember the 3rd and long he muffed at the end of the AZ play-off game that would have probably given Atlanta the win). He was brought in to be a leader in Dallas and feigned a chip on his shoulder at the Dallas/ Atlanta game this year. I attended and saw him make nice and shake hands with Dimitroff way before the game started but he relished the win against his old team for sure.The Dallas media has finally caught on to Brooking (It's funny most radio guys and some TV people used to call him Brookings when he was still unknown here), but he is really Phillips' puppet for the kind of brimstone Wade's personality lacks...

Posted about this in the pregame thread. I hate it. The last thing anyone wants to see is a playoff game being officiated by a buch of flag happy slappies. The teams earned their way to this playoff game; let them play. And no, I don't care if that holding penalty that's missed by a more liberal crew was technically a correct call. Flag happy crews should not be assigned playoffs, it's as simple as that.

Posted about this in the pregame thread. I hate it. The last thing anyone wants to see is a playoff game being officiated by a buch of flag happy slappies. The teams earned their way to this playoff game; let them play. And no, I don't care if that holding penalty that's missed by a more liberal crew was technically a correct call. Flag happy crews should not be assigned playoffs, it's as simple as that.
Didn't see it until now after you mentioned it. I noticed no one commented on your post though- they more concerned with who will announce the game. I still wonder WHY the NFL did it.

Seriously?

Did you ever think that maybe the NFL wants this game to be called on an even keel? Cleanly? Being the most prolific game of the weekend?

Home field advantage is intended to add favoritism in your surroundings and the home crowd, not for the officials to call the game your way.

I don't care how many flags are distributed as long as it's done with the same judgement on both sides, as it should be.

Get over it.

Seriously?Did you ever think that maybe the NFL wants this game to be called on an even keel? Cleanly? Being the most prolific game of the weekend?Home field advantage is intended to add favoritism in your surroundings and the home crowd, not for the officials to call the game your way.I don't care how many flags are distributed as long as it's done with the same judgement on both sides, as it should be.Get over it.
Why should I get over it? Cuts a little too close? I didn't write the article, Gosselin did, 35 year veteran writer and Dallas resident....

Seriously?Did you ever think that maybe the NFL wants this game to be called on an even keel? Cleanly? Being the most prolific game of the weekend?Home field advantage is intended to add favoritism in your surroundings and the home crowd, not for the officials to call the game your way.I don't care how many flags are distributed as long as it's done with the same judgement on both sides, as it should be.Get over it.
I'm fine with a game being called consistently, but most understand that holding and illegal contact happen to some extent on every play. I'm just not a fan of flags flying all over the place. Only egregious penalties should decide playoff games IMHO. That's not an opionion supporting favoritism.
My Personal Photo > Your Personal Photo
:thumbup:

texasbirdfan said:
Andy Herron said:
Why should I get over it? Cuts a little too close? I didn't write the article, Gosselin did, 35 year veteran writer and Dallas resident....
So?I know who Rick Gosselin is. I read this two days ago when it was published. It's simply informative, nothing more, nothing less.You, on the other hand, are trying to make this out as if it's some kind of outrage.Turn the channel if you don't like it. It is what it is. Don't try to make it out as if it's some kind of underlying ploy.You clearly reached at the "8 days rest," (the schedule was already in place) and you're clearly reaching at this.What is it Fonzie used to say? Sit on it!

texasbirdfan said:
Andy Herron said:
So?I know who Rick Gosselin is. I read this two days ago when it was published. It's simply informative, nothing more, nothing less.You, on the other hand, are trying to make this out as if it's some kind of outrage.Turn the channel if you don't like it. It is what it is. Don't try to make it out as if it's some kind of underlying ploy.You clearly reached at the "8 days rest," (the schedule was already in place) and you're clearly reaching at this.What is it Fonzie used to say? Sit on it!
my, my thanks for the orders Captain Football

texasbirdfan said:
Andy Herron said:
Seriously?

Did you ever think that maybe the NFL wants this game to be called on an even keel? Cleanly? Being the most prolific game of the weekend?

Home field advantage is intended to add favoritism in your surroundings and the home crowd, not for the officials to call the game your way.

I don't care how many flags are distributed as long as it's done with the same judgement on both sides, as it should be.

Get over it.
So?I know who Rick Gosselin is. I read this two days ago when it was published. It's simply informative, nothing more, nothing less.

You, on the other hand, are trying to make this out as if it's some kind of outrage.

Turn the channel if you don't like it. It is what it is. Don't try to make it out as if it's some kind of underlying ploy.

You clearly reached at the "8 days rest," (the schedule was already in place) and you're clearly reaching at this.

What is it Fonzie used to say? Sit on it!
Excellent! Oh.. I meant, not really very excellent is it?

texasbirdfan said:
BigJim® said:
Didn't see it until now after you mentioned it. I noticed no one commented on your post though- they more concerned with who will announce the game. I still wonder WHY the NFL did it.
You obviously have your own opinion of WHY the NFL did it, why don't you just say it.Just try and enjoy the games this weekend, they only come around once a year.

texasbirdfan said:
BigJim® said:
You obviously have your own opinion of WHY the NFL did it, why don't you just say it.Just try and enjoy the games this weekend, they only come around once a year.
What will it be? First you tell me to state an opinion and then just enjoy the games especially the one with all the enjoyable flags.Dudes- I'm here to post stuff I see in the media usually, and learn from other posters ideas and inputs, not to reinvent the football wheel. The first couple of years I didn't even bother being a member, just read everyone. Having lived here for over 17 years, it's hard to tell a Cowboy fan something doesn't seem right. This post is more interesting to me than your talk about whether Moose or Troy is going to call the game, and being told to shut up seems kind of ignorant..

more penalties=poor officiating?

Why? :thumbup: I don't understand the argument. What if they are catching things other crews miss. What is their rate of blown calls compared to other crews? Shouldn't that be the real concern?

Dragon1952 said:
I'm sure the networks would love Dallas to continue on to the SB. Whether or not there is a conspiracy is another question. If there was (and there likely isn't) it certainly wouldn't shock me.
Although Dallas would bring it's own ratings.. IMO, Manning vs. Favre.. Old man with most of the passing records vs. The only man who has a shot at most of his records :thumbup: would also bring in huge ratings... . :confused:

Dont commit fouls and they wont throw the flag.Maybe they are just better at recognizing and enforcing infractions then most other crews.
No offense, but this is really simplistic thinking. You assume that the line between a foul and a non-foul is clear as day, black and white. It isn't. There is a fine line most of the time and you see this often in holding plays, interference calls, and roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness calls. They are all judgement calls.That being the case I prefer a game that is light on penalties and allows the players to be the difference, not the refs.

More penalties equals more punts which equals more commercial breaks which equals more revenue for the NFL and they can get that because of the anticipation of the game.

Its all about the Hamilton's.

Because Dallas and Minnesota have the biggest crybabies of the NFL? Have to give them something/s to complain about.

Just a guess...

Obviously JJ has Roger in his back pocket. JJ needs to pay for the new digs and after his 'boys lost to The G-Men for the SECOND time he decided to call in his "favors" with Roger. Subtle yet obvious advantages have gone the 'boys way since early December,JJ needs his team to win it all THIS year and he obviously paid the "right" price to Roger to "git 'er done!" The commish went to David Stern's seminar on "how to fix games and influence outcomes" while telling the public it isn't happening. Fantasy ballers and gamblers and their huge ego's think THEY are the driving force behind the league's success,it's RATINGS that drive the NFL because RATINGS mean HUGE contracts with the TV networks. The fix is in people,accept it. IF the 'boys viqueen's game is anywhere near close in the fourth quarter watch for a call or non-call to affect the outcome and see Brett crying on the sideline. It's gonna happen,I guarentee it ;)

Because Dallas and Minnesota have the biggest crybabies of the NFL? Have to give them something/s to complain about.Just a guess...
:) Or it was because the NFL did not want a repeat of last week's stellar game where the Packers were completely jobbed by the refs because the officials refused to throw a flag against the home team defense that abused Rodgers in so many ways. In all actuality it probably wouldn't be that because of how stoically Packer fans have been handling the loss. It would take some real :cry: in order to influence the NFL that way.

Is there such a thing as a pre-game venting thread? Are people really convinced that the league favors the Cowboys??????well...

Lets hope so!!! :bag: :unsure:

Because Dallas and Minnesota have the biggest crybabies of the NFL? Have to give them something/s to complain about.Just a guess...
:thumbup: Or it was because the NFL did not want a repeat of last week's stellar game where the Packers were completely jobbed by the refs because the officials refused to throw a flag against the home team defense that abused Rodgers in so many ways. In all actuality it probably wouldn't be that because of how stoically Packer fans have been handling the loss. It would take some real :cry: in order to influence the NFL that way.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: They gave up 51 points but got "jobbed" by the refs, hillarious!!!

Because Dallas and Minnesota have the biggest crybabies of the NFL? Have to give them something/s to complain about.

Just a guess...
:) Or it was because the NFL did not want a repeat of last week's stellar game where the Packers were completely jobbed by the refs because the officials refused to throw a flag against the home team defense that abused Rodgers in so many ways. In all actuality it probably wouldn't be that because of how stoically Packer fans have been handling the loss. It would take some real :cry: in order to influence the NFL that way.
:pickle: :lmao: :lmao: They gave up 51 points but got "jobbed" by the refs, hillarious!!!
Exactly.

Is this the crew that did the Jets-Bengals game last week?

That crew was absolutely awful last week. Not much was made from it because the Jets won, but there were two phantom PI calls in that game. One call was as bad a call as I've ever seen.

Is this the crew that did the Jets-Bengals game last week? That crew was absolutely awful last week. Not much was made from it because the Jets won, but there were two phantom PI calls in that game. One call was as bad a call as I've ever seen.
Nope, different crew.
Playoffs/Super BowlWild Card WeekendNY Jets at Cincinnati – Bill LeavyPhiladelphia at Dallas – Ed HochuliBaltimore at New England – Gene SteratoreGreen Bay at Arizona – Scott GreenDivisional PlayoffsArizona at New Orleans – Ron WinterBaltimore at Indianapolis – Carl CheffersDallas at Minnesota – Walt AndersonNY Jets at San Diego – Jerome BogerConference ChampionshipsTBAPro BowlNFC at AFCSuper BowlTBA

Is this the crew that did the Jets-Bengals game last week? That crew was absolutely awful last week. Not much was made from it because the Jets won, but there were two phantom PI calls in that game. One call was as bad a call as I've ever seen.
More than that. They missed a ridiculous illegal fair catch call on one of Cotchery's returns and what sure looked like a block in the back on Greene's TD run. There was other stuff that impacted both sides as well.-QG

Users who are viewing this thread