What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***NFC Championship - Detroit Lions 14-5 at San Francisco 49'ers 13-5*** (-7.5, 52) 6:30 (1 Viewer)

But here you wasting that time, breath and key strokes like you have all the answers.
When he could be he helping out his one and done Cowboys instead.

Can't, because he knows better and understands the math.

I’m confident Dan Campbell doesn’t understand it.

No team has gone for it more in NFL history despite having average success rates converting.

Not sure what else to tell you…

Seeing a lot of tweets and comments about how lucky the Ayuk catch was… Yet somehow nobody seems to be talking about how fortunate was for the Lions on the Jamison Williams touchdown run that his jersey basically tore away like a pair of track pants in the 1990s.

I’m thinking 99 times out of 100 that’s a tackle. If you watch that play again, it’s remarkable how much of that jersey just rips clean off.

The Lions may well still have scored a touchdown there… But it’s also possible that the 49ers held them to a field goal instead.

ESPN's Gamecast page has a "win probability" tool that is probably mostly BS, but I found it interesting to see the Packers had a 82.5% win probability in SF last weekend midway through the 4th quarter, and the Lions had a 91.5% win probability mid way through the 3rd quarter yesterday. Its a credit to the 49ers culture imo that they fight to the end.

ESPN's Gamecast page has a "win probability" tool that is probably mostly BS, but I found it interesting to see the Packers had a 82.5% win probability in SF last weekend midway through the 4th quarter, and the Lions had a 91.5% win probability mid way through the 3rd quarter yesterday. Its a credit to the 49ers culture imo that they fight to the end.

Meh. The veteran team didn’t self destruct. The other two teams did. Let’s see what happens in two weeks.

The Lions had been far more successful going for 4th and 3 in opponents this year than people think, 18 for 21. In fact, significantly higher than successfully kicking a 48-yard FG. Why is a 70% item considered a sure thing, but an 86% item considered a huge gamble?

Against the Bears, Vikings, Chargers, Vegas, Saints and Broncos. Some of the powerhouse defenses they faced for the tough 4th down calls.

Are you talking about the defense the Lions scored 24 points in the first half?

The Lions had been far more successful going for 4th and 3 in opponents this year than people think, 18 for 21. In fact, significantly higher than successfully kicking a 48-yard FG. Why is a 70% item considered a sure thing, but an 86% item considered a huge gamble?

Not all NFL defenses are created equal. I wonder what that 4th down conversation rate looks like playing in a tougher division than the cookie-dough soft NFC North?

4th and 2 at the 49ers 28 while leading 24-10 and going for it vs kicking a 45 yard FG seems foolish to me. Needless. Arrogant even. If that's the Dan Campbell way and you love it, great. I prefer a coach who understands the importance of taking points but that's just my personal preference.
The NFL is full of games where one team consistently moves the ball only to settle for field goals….so often the other team finds it’s way back into the game because that team only was taking 3 points.
Even though arguably going for the 4th downs cost them the game I can’t fault the logic. If they had converted and scored a TD everyone would be going on about how big Campbell’s balls are

Not all NFL defenses are created equal. I wonder what that 4th down conversation rate looks like playing in a tougher division than the cookie-dough soft NFC North?

4th and 2 at the 49ers 28 while leading 24-10 and going for it vs kicking a 45 yard FG seems foolish to me. Needless. Arrogant even. If that's the Dan Campbell way and you love it, great. I prefer a coach who understands the importance of taking points but that's just my personal preference.
The NFL is full of games where one team consistently moves the ball only to settle for field goals….so often the other team finds it’s way back into the game because that team only was taking 3 points.
Even though arguably going for the 4th downs cost them the game I can’t fault the logic. If they had converted and scored a TD everyone would be going on about how big Campbell’s balls are

Whether they were successful or not, they were bad calls

FOX’s NFC Championship featuring the 49ers-Lions had 56.7M viewers last night.

It was the biggest NFCCG since 2012, when the 49ers also had a 17-point comeback win in Atlanta.

What happened to all the boycotters?
I was just gonna say that anpparently all those folks boycotting the NFL since Kaepernick didn’t have much of an effect on viewership at all.

Also, it’s a little weird that so many care so much about Taylor Swift cameos & Kelce since, you know, they’re not watching. :oldunsure:

But I digress.

It was the biggest NFCCG since 2012, when the 49ers also had a 17-point comeback win in Atlanta.

I was just gonna say that anpparently all those folks boycotting the NFL since Kaepernick didn’t have much of an effect on viewership at all.

Also, it’s a little weird that so many care so much about Taylor Swift cameos & Kelce since, you know, they’re not watching. :oldunsure:

But I digress.
You don’t have to watch, it’s being talked about everywhere.

But I digress.
You don’t have to watch, it’s being talked about everywhere.
Yet people did. In record numbers. That’s the point.

I’m betting many who claimed to be boycotting tuned in.

Or they’re irrelevant in the big scheme of things and their boycott was meaningless noise, which is far more likely.

But I digress.
And you seem to care that it annoys people lol

Only because they post about it ad nauseam on a FF site about it.

They can be quietly annoyed about it in the privacy and comfort of their own homes without mucking up the game and team topics with it for months and I’ll not care a whit about it.

But at FBG it’s a never ending stream of nonsense.

Only because they post about it ad nauseam on a FF site about it.

They can be quietly annoyed about it in the privacy and comfort of their own homes without mucking up the game and team topics with it for months and I’ll not care a whit about it.

But at FBG it’s a never ending stream of nonsense.

It's amazing how a game that was being boycotted by people furious over taking a knee during the anthem are the same outraged over Taylor Swift appearing on TV cameras during games that they were supposed to be boycotting.

Ratings are better than ever. NFL found gold with Taylor Swift.

The probability of winning was higher going for it in both instances. That means attempting field goals was gambling.

Analytics says both were medium go for it. Wasn’t a strong go for it.

But on the season they were 18/21 on 4th & 3 or less. 86% success rate. They got here in part bc that is their brand of football.

I understand the criticism but I hope MCDC’s continues to keep trusting his players and choosing aggression. It has served them well.
MHO: being aggressive is what got your team there. Stay the course.

Dallas was dominant at home playing the same style of defense all year. GB came to down and DAL inexplicably changed their entire defensive scheme and got boatraced.

So I have no issue with Campbell going for it on either of those plays. And they called a perfect play & Golf threw a perfect pass. Hard to fault Campbell because a WR didn’t execute & catch the bunny.

Those were “go for the throat” plays - another TD and the game is over in the 3rd quarter.

It didn't work out, but the Niners scoring on 5 straight possessions showed everyone why the Lions felt they needed to be as aggresssive as possible.

Tough loss @BobbyLayne - I have the utmost confidence your team will be back in the NFCC next year.

Campbell is who he is and ya gotta love him for it.

Zero problem with them going for it. It was the right call both times.

Sports and especially the NFL is not a linear progression. They're in good shape in terms of the Cap, draft picks, et al. But they may not have another run like this.

I hope they do, but we thought that 32 years ago.

But overall, we have the best GM we've ever had, they constructed the roster the right way, and the arrow is pointing up.

49ers have a LOT more dudes than we do, especially on defense. We have work to do.
IMO the Lions will stay on an upward trajectory as long as their OC stays put (good news on that today) and they don't have to pay Goff a huge contract. If either of those conditions change, it will be real tough. As much as everyone likes Campbell, head coaches that rely on their offensive coordinators to call plays and design a scheme are always vulnerable to having the rug taken out from under them.

The probability of winning was higher going for it in both instances. That means attempting field goals was gambling.

Analytics says both were medium go for it. Wasn’t a strong go for it.

But on the season they were 18/21 on 4th & 3 or less. 86% success rate. They got here in part bc that is their brand of football.

I understand the criticism but I hope MCDC’s continues to keep trusting his players and choosing aggression. It has served them well.
MHO: being aggressive is what got your team there. Stay the course.

Dallas was dominant at home playing the same style of defense all year. GB came to down and DAL inexplicably changed their entire defensive scheme and got boatraced.

So I have no issue with Campbell going for it on either of those plays. And they called a perfect play & Golf threw a perfect pass. Hard to fault Campbell because a WR didn’t execute & catch the bunny.

Those were “go for the throat” plays - another TD and the game is over in the 3rd quarter.

It didn't work out, but the Niners scoring on 5 straight possessions showed everyone why the Lions felt they needed to be as aggresssive as possible.

Tough loss @BobbyLayne - I have the utmost confidence your team will be back in the NFCC next year.

Campbell is who he is and ya gotta love him for it.

Zero problem with them going for it. It was the right call both times.

Sports and especially the NFL is not a linear progression. They're in good shape in terms of the Cap, draft picks, et al. But they may not have another run like this.

I hope they do, but we thought that 32 years ago.

But overall, we have the best GM we've ever had, they constructed the roster the right way, and the arrow is pointing up.

49ers have a LOT more dudes than we do, especially on defense. We have work to do.
IMO the Lions will stay on an upward trajectory as long as their OC stays put (good news on that today) and they don't have to pay Goff a huge contract. If either of those conditions change, it will be real tough. As much as everyone likes Campbell, head coaches that rely on their offensive coordinators to call plays and design a scheme are always vulnerable to having the rug taken out from under them.
Yep. Much like the Niners defense struggling this year.

Users who are viewing this thread