What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Williams WR DET... What Happens Now? (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Footballguy
Mike Williams has been inactive for the last few games. It seems that he's not going to get another chance in Detroit. So now what happens? I see three options:

1. Detroit keeps him and tries to coach him into a better player. This would be the option I would think makes the most since. Then again, if he really can't be motivated to play there's no amount of coaching that can fix that. With the investment the Lions have made in Williams I would think they would at least give him another chance on the field.

2. They have given up, but won't cut him because it's too much of a cap hit to release him. This seemed to be what we've heard as other WRs have been released in recent weeks. And Williams being inactive every week is probably a sign of this. But would that hold next year as well?

3. The Lions have given up and will cut him before next season because it's too expensive to pay an inactive player that much money long term. It wouldn't make sense for Detroit to hold on to him and pay him all this money if he's not part of their future, right?

I'm totally confused about what happens to him for next season and beyond, so if anyone has any insight, please fire away. I just can't believe that someone so talented in college can't be coached to practice harder and stay awake through meetings. It's not like he's doing committing felonies or breaking the leagues substance abuse policy. Apparently it's his work ethic. But he's only 22 years old--lots of people mature in their early 20's. Why are the Lions seemingly giving up on this kid?

They're giving up on Williams because he's not as good as he thinks he is, he's lazy, unmotivated, and this is the NFL, not preschool. They have enough problems to fix without waiting around for Williams to realize football is his job and he has to approach it with some degree of professionalism. They should cut him - perhaps that would be the wake-up call he needs. But what he really needs is an armed guard in front of his refrigerator.

I think they said earlier in the week that the only reason he is still on the roster is that they take too big of a cap hit if they cut him this year. He will likely be gone very quick after the season.

Let's suppose they cut Mike - what will that do to Millen?

People were screaming for his head when he drafted him - to cut him before his rookie contract is even over...

Mike Williams life from here on out consist of -

Mike - Hey man, want to get high?

Friend - yes

Mike - Let's go to White Castle for some burgers

Friend - yeah, that's cool

Mike - Wow, these pants are a little tight, maybe I will unbuckle them to let some room

Friend - You were really something at USC, and they f--d'ed you at Detroit

Mike - Yeah, I was better than any WR on that team, they just didn't like me. Pass that, will you?

Friend - Yeah Mike, here you go, enjoy.

Mike - BOOM!! I blow my fu--ing brains out, or I rob a 7-11.

There you go, Mike could have been a contenda!!!

Mike Williams life from here on out consist of -Mike - Hey man, want to get high?Friend - yesMike - Let's go to White Castle for some burgersFriend - yeah, that's coolMike - Wow, these pants are a little tight, maybe I will unbuckle them to let some roomFriend - You were really something at USC, and they f--d'ed you at DetroitMike - Yeah, I was better than any WR on that team, they just didn't like me. Pass that, will you?Friend - Yeah Mike, here you go, enjoy.Mike - BOOM!! I blow my fu--ing brains out, or I rob a 7-11.There you go, Mike could have been a contenda!!!
friend=charles rogers

Mike Williams life from here on out consist of -Mike - Hey man, want to get high?Friend - yesMike - Let's go to White Castle for some burgersFriend - yeah, that's coolMike - Wow, these pants are a little tight, maybe I will unbuckle them to let some roomFriend - You were really something at USC, and they f--d'ed you at DetroitMike - Yeah, I was better than any WR on that team, they just didn't like me. Pass that, will you?Friend - Yeah Mike, here you go, enjoy.Mike - BOOM!! I blow my fu--ing brains out, or I rob a 7-11.There you go, Mike could have been a contenda!!!
Detroit did not ruin Mike. Mike had a problem from the get go. M. Clarett ruined Mike. Clarrett is the one who got Mike to try and fight the NFL draft rule with him and thus not being allowed back at USC. If he had gone back he would have gone before #10 and this one not have happened. Instead he came to Detroit with a lazy atitude and overweight.

Detroit did not ruin Mike. Mike had a problem from the get go. M. Clarett ruined Mike. Clarrett is the one who got Mike to try and fight the NFL draft rule with him and thus not being allowed back at USC. If he had gone back he would have gone before #10 and this one not have happened. Instead he came to Detroit with a lazy atitude and overweight.
Mike ruined Mike dude. All of us have a choice of our life decisions. I can't believe you would bring another loser into the conversation with Clarett. Yes, he did fight the NFL draft rule bla bla bla, but now he's in the NFL and he sucks big time, lol. He has no more drive now than he would have had otherwise.

in all fairness we dont know what MIKE WILLAMS will do in the NFL . he hasnt been given a fair shot at real playing time ..

there were people all over this board saying that LARRY JOHNSON was the biggiest bust .. and their reason .. becuase he wasnt playing ..

lets give mike williams a new team and a team that actually wants him

in all fairness we dont know what MIKE WILLAMS will do in the NFL . he hasnt been given a fair shot at real playing time .. there were people all over this board saying that LARRY JOHNSON was the biggiest bust .. and their reason .. becuase he wasnt playing .. lets give mike williams a new team and a team that actually wants him
:thumbdown: What a bunch of B.S. Players EARN their playing time. It's not a privelege to play b/c you are a high draft pick. He's been given every opportunity to "get a fair shot at real playing time" Both coaching staffs have told him what it takes to get on the field....lose weight, work hard, learn the system and you play. It's the same for every player in the NFL. If you practice hard you'll get your opportunities.As for Larry Johnson, He quit his pi$$ing and moaning, took his diaper off and showed in practice and his building opportunities in games that he could play. I'd like to see what "team" is going to pick him up and say "hey man, you were AWESOME in college. We don't care if you practice hard or are 30lbs over weight, we're gonna put you out there." That team will not be in the playoff's.

I agree with V1LL above. I just read where Williams is up over 240 again. I think he needs to prove he wants to play and shows some heart and dedication (to something more than Funions and Oreos).

I dont see how a team can think about cutting him when they dont even really know what he can do on the field. The havent even played him this year. How the hell do you know if he sucks? A lot of dudes are ####ty practice players but come game time the step up. To not play a top 10 drafted WR in his 2nd year and then cut him is assinine IMO. Freakin put him on the field before you declare that he sucks. They dont know he sucks cuz they havent played him. His rookie #s werent that awful. Most WRs dont start to show anything until their 3rd or 4th year. Detroit has some real idiots running their front office.

I dont see how a team can think about cutting him when they dont even really know what he can do on the field. The havent even played him this year. How the hell do you know if he sucks? A lot of dudes are ####ty practice players but come game time the step up. To not play a top 10 drafted WR in his 2nd year and then cut him is assinine IMO. Freakin put him on the field before you declare that he sucks. They dont know he sucks cuz they havent played him. His rookie #s werent that awful. Most WRs dont start to show anything until their 3rd or 4th year. Detroit has some real idiots running their front office.
If the dude can't get open or catch the ball in practice (against the Lions STELLAR D) why in the hell would he be able to do it in a game. The last game he was active, he had one pass thrown his way...it hit him right between the numbers and he dropped it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with V1LL above. I just read where Williams is up over 240 again. I think he needs to prove he wants to play and shows some heart and dedication (to something more than Funions and Oreos).
So what if he's 240. He's 6'5" Thats not overweight IMO. Marques Coston is 6'4" 231. So Williams is and inch taller and 9 lbs heavier and he's a fatass? If anything I think that size would create mismatches. Also FWIW I do not own Mike Williams in FF nor am I a Lions fan. I just think its assinine to give up on a 22 year old WR.

So what if he's 240. He's 6'5" Thats not overweight IMO. Marques Coston is 6'4" 231. So Williams is and inch taller and 9 lbs heavier and he's a fatass?
a fatass and slow.

So what if he's 240. He's 6'5" Thats not overweight IMO. Marques Coston is 6'4" 231. So Williams is and inch taller and 9 lbs heavier and he's a fatass?
a fatass and slow.
Jerry Rice was slow

So what if he's 240. He's 6'5" Thats not overweight IMO. Marques Coston is 6'4" 231. So Williams is and inch taller and 9 lbs heavier and he's a fatass? If anything I think that size would create mismatches. Also FWIW I do not own Mike Williams in FF nor am I a Lions fan. I just think its assinine to give up on a 22 year old WR.
Colston is muscled up. Mike is FAT. As a WR, he needs to be able to get separation, he cannot. Calston can. Think about it. Why can Mike Williams not see the field when a no name WR like Furrey is tearing it up. Opportunity is there, and has been, but Williams does not want to take advantage of it.

a fatass and slow.
Jerry Rice was slow
did you really just compare Mike Williams to Jerry Rice??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

a fatass and slow.
Jerry Rice was slow
did you really just compare Mike Williams to Jerry Rice??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
No I did not. I just mearly stated that Jerry Rice was slow also

Why wouldnt he make a great TE prospect?

I dont think hes done, I think him playing TE is the next step IF he isnt picked up after this season as a WR. Off the top of my head Gruden loved this guy prior to the draft in work-outs. Some coaches like taking in high draft picks who were released in hopes they can bring the best out in the player, which has been done before. Better yet what about the coaches who take in the bad charactor guys and get them on track? I have a strong feeling before BMW's career is over between him just maturing as a man and a strong motivational coach, he will get himself in great physical condition on a regular basis and become a better student of the game mentally.

a fatass and slow.
Jerry Rice was slow
the "jerry rice was slow" argument is SOOO played it crazy. Also a really dumb arguement. I'm slow too and was pretty good in HS, maybe the Lions should give me a shot cuz afterall, Jerry was slow too. Jerry Rice practiced hard. He was a legend with his off season workouts.

I dont think hes done, I think him playing TE is the next step IF he isnt picked up after this season as a WR. Off the top of my head Gruden loved this guy prior to the draft in work-outs. Some coaches like taking in high draft picks who were released in hopes they can bring the best out in the player, which has been done before. Better yet what about the coaches who take in the bad charactor guys and get them on track? I have a strong feeling before BMW's career is over between him just maturing as a man and a strong motivational coach, he will get himself in great physical condition on a regular basis and become a better student of the game mentally.
So far, BMW REFUSES to play TE. That and you have to be able to block which is another thing he can't or better yet, WON't do.

Why wouldnt he make a great TE prospect?I dont think hes done, I think him playing TE is the next step IF he isnt picked up after this season as a WR. Off the top of my head Gruden loved this guy prior to the draft in work-outs. Some coaches like taking in high draft picks who were released in hopes they can bring the best out in the player, which has been done before. Better yet what about the coaches who take in the bad charactor guys and get them on track? I have a strong feeling before BMW's career is over between him just maturing as a man and a strong motivational coach, he will get himself in great physical condition on a regular basis and become a better student of the game mentally.
I agree. He may just need a coach like Bill Belichek or Parcells.

Why wouldnt he make a great TE prospect?I dont think hes done, I think him playing TE is the next step IF he isnt picked up after this season as a WR. Off the top of my head Gruden loved this guy prior to the draft in work-outs. Some coaches like taking in high draft picks who were released in hopes they can bring the best out in the player, which has been done before. Better yet what about the coaches who take in the bad charactor guys and get them on track? I have a strong feeling before BMW's career is over between him just maturing as a man and a strong motivational coach, he will get himself in great physical condition on a regular basis and become a better student of the game mentally.
I agree. He may just need a coach like Bill Belichek or Parcells.
or Jenny Craig

a fatass and slow.
Jerry Rice was slow
the "jerry rice was slow" argument is SOOO played it crazy. Also a really dumb arguement. I'm slow too and was pretty good in HS, maybe the Lions should give me a shot cuz afterall, Jerry was slow too. Jerry Rice practiced hard. He was a legend with his off season workouts.
But is Jerry Rice a HOF'er?

So far, BMW REFUSES to play TE. That and you have to be able to block which is another thing he can't or better yet, WON't do.
Have you changed as a person over the years?, your likes dislikes, maybe do something you never said you would do when you were young and as you were older realized your views changed?When your sitting at home when training camp starts becasue no one wanted you as a WR and you realize you may have to work for a living the rest of your life, I think %90 of the human population would open thier mind to playing TE. Things have changed since he was a hot propsect and could state his terms.

Like I mentioned in my 1st post...., he will mature and grow stronger physically and mentally by "growing up" and getting picked up by a motivational coaching staff. Right now as we speak, kowing that Detriot holds no value for Mike, theres a coach who thinks he can bring the best out in Mike for a cheap price.......... probably more than 1.

Have you changed as a person over the years?, your likes dislikes, maybe do something you never said you would do when you were young and as you were older realized your views changed?When your sitting at home when training camp starts becasue no one wanted you as a WR and you realize you may have to work for a living the rest of your life, I think %90 of the human population would open thier mind to playing TE. Things have changed since he was a hot propsect and could state his terms.

Like I mentioned in my 1st post...., he will mature and grow stronger physically and mentally by "growing up" and getting picked up by a motivational coaching staff. Theres a coach who thinks he can bring the best out in Mike, probably more than 1.
How long are you giving him to mature? This season alone he's seen the following players play in front of him:Corey Bradford (since cut)

Shaun Bodiford (undrafted free agent since cut)

Mike Furrey (former safety)

Kevin Kasper (street FA)

Devale Ellis (UDFA the pride of HOFSTRA!)

how long is going to take this guy to get the message??

Like I mentioned in my 1st post...., he will mature and grow stronger physically and mentally by "growing up" and getting picked up by a motivational coaching staff. Theres a coach who thinks he can bring the best out in Mike, probably more than 1.
How long are you giving him to mature? This season alone he's seen the following players play in front of him:Corey Bradford (since cut)

Shaun Bodiford (undrafted free agent since cut)

Mike Furrey (former safety)

Kevin Kasper (street FA)

Devale Ellis (UDFA the pride of HOFSTRA!)

how long is going to take this guy to get the message??
I think your talking about the Mike Williams now and I'm talking about the Mike Williams begining this off-season.If you read what I've posted you'll see I'm talking about what the future will hold for Mike.

If we want to talk about what hes done so far, I agree, hes been bust material but he's yet to be commited to working hard physically and mentally. I dont think we've seen Mike play in peak shape and be mentally focused. If he can achieve this with the aid and guidance under the right coach, I think at best he will be a stud WR and at worst a solid catching TE.

Tom Kowalski mentioned this week that BMW simply looks disinterested in practice and basically isn't even trying. He intimated that he's basically done unless there's a massive attitude adjustment. He did come into camp lighter, but he's gained all the weight back.

Meanwhile, Martz said this week that he's happy with newly signed Devale Ellis at #3. Ellis is a rookie from Hofstra - where he was the yin to Marques Colston's Yang. ;)

in all fairness we dont know what MIKE WILLAMS will do in the NFL . he hasnt been given a fair shot at real playing time .. there were people all over this board saying that LARRY JOHNSON was the biggiest bust .. and their reason .. becuase he wasnt playing .. lets give mike williams a new team and a team that actually wants him
:thumbdown: What a bunch of B.S. Players EARN their playing time. It's not a privelege to play b/c you are a high draft pick. He's been given every opportunity to "get a fair shot at real playing time" Both coaching staffs have told him what it takes to get on the field....lose weight, work hard, learn the system and you play. It's the same for every player in the NFL. If you practice hard you'll get your opportunities.As for Larry Johnson, He quit his pi$$ing and moaning, took his diaper off and showed in practice and his building opportunities in games that he could play. I'd like to see what "team" is going to pick him up and say "hey man, you were AWESOME in college. We don't care if you practice hard or are 30lbs over weight, we're gonna put you out there." That team will not be in the playoff's.
:goodposting: This post should go into all "Cedric Benson Must Play" threads.

Detroit is the Elephant's Graveyard. It's where all decent footballers go to die.

Scratch that. It's the Pet Sementary of the NFL. They're already dead before you get there. That's why all Lion's fans keeping digging up Barry Sanders name from the grave. It's all they got. That and Sims.

Man, if we had Sanders, Sims, Krieg, Moore, etc....

This is exactly the same thing that was said about Rogers. I have stated before that my friend knows a couple of the Lions assistants, he coachs their kids is HS. He was told that Willimas is as bad if not worse than Rogers in his work habits. That is not a good sign.

V1LL = :moneybag:

Williams isn't lacking an opportunity. Far from it. He's simply not working hard and he is disinterested. About the only good thing he's done is stay out of trouble off the field... and that's purely wordsmithing.

Righetti said:
just because you are heavy doesn't mean you can be a TE
I'm assuming your talking to me since i'm the only one that brought up TE potential.Did I say he could play TE becasue he was heavy? From any perspective how much you weigh is a matter of diet and not skill, so im not sure where you got the impression that weight was my supporting factor that he would make a good TE.He runs a 4.6/40 hes tall and has good hands. I'd imagine its easier for Mike to bulk up than slim down.Its seems like his natural weight is around the 240's.All everybodys saying on here is Mikes atittude is horrible or he doesnt want to try and I agree.In fact he's looked like crap thus far in the NFL in the small amount of playing time hes had and hasnt made it to the starting lineup becasue of his attitude and work ethicSo why cant we agree that no one has yet to see what Mikes best is? To top it all off the people here that think hes done in the NFL like Charles Rogers, it cracks me up.Rogers only fits the WR mold AND was on ROIDS when he did show flashes. Did I mention hes also injury prone?Comparing these guys is ridiculous.SO you think a guy that gets cut in the off-season with BMW's resume , size, athletic ability, isnt gonna get a bite for WR and/or TE? Were talking peanuts to have the guy come in a work him out.I dont think for one minute Mike has grown up as much as hes going to at the age of 22. And that is really my point, the maturity and the work ethic translate over to his physical performance we've seen thus far in the NFL.And those talking about he cant block.... Technique is something that can be taught, just like route running.IF you said he just not tall enough or fast enough I would entertain your ideas.

he can't block and he refuses to learn, he has no discipline and no work ethic, he loves donuts and hates the gym.. My point is that everybody thinks that b/c he is 240 he would make a good TE..

a fat WR does not become a good TE, it just doesn't work that way.. Most TE's have been playing the position for 10 years before they hit the NFL, they know blocking techniques, know how to play with a hand down on the ground, know about pass protection and regularly deal with defenders who are harder hitters than the average WR faces..

these are skills that aren't learned overnight especially not from somebody with almost no work ethic

what I know about BMW is that he dominated college, hasn't been an impact player in 3 years, is critizized by his coaches for being lazy and fat

and I doubt he would be commited enough to be a top TE.. He can't even be committed enough to be a 3rd string WR

mike had a chance against the vikings when roy went out on the first series.

they threw it to him on basically a wide receiver screen and he dropped it and didnt even appear to try hard to catch it....that was the last time he touched the playing field.

it was almost as if it was a last chance for him, marinelli had been protecting him in the media a little bit by saying how he was doing better and roy had been pleading for him to get a chance but since then there hasnt even been talk of mike anymore...other than if he'll be cut before next season

he can't block and he refuses to learn, he has no discipline and no work ethic, he loves donuts and hates the gym.. My point is that everybody thinks that b/c he is 240 he would make a good TE..a fat WR does not become a good TE, it just doesn't work that way.. Most TE's have been playing the position for 10 years before they hit the NFL, they know blocking techniques, know how to play with a hand down on the ground, know about pass protection and regularly deal with defenders who are harder hitters than the average WR faces..these are skills that aren't learned overnight especially not from somebody with almost no work ethicwhat I know about BMW is that he dominated college, hasn't been an impact player in 3 years, is critizized by his coaches for being lazy and fat and I doubt he would be commited enough to be a top TE.. He can't even be committed enough to be a 3rd string WR
As i stated in the previous post I agree a Fat WR doesnt just translate to TE when hes tired of stuggling with his weight as a WR and never stated anything near that. Regarding it taking 10 years to learn the TE position I bring you Antonio Gates and the future basketball prospects who will come after him. And If you played WR I think the transition is easier than coming from any other position, yes the blocking and routes will be adjusted but your basic skill-set is a pass catcher.I think theres one thing we all can agree on though............ this will be a great post to resurrect a year from now. ;)

Basically it just comes down to the fact that football just isn't in MW's blood. He'll probably get cut after the season, loaf through a few tryouts, not get signed, then sit at home and collect whatever money left that he still has coming his way... and he'll be OK with that. Amazing how the Lions ended up with two players who fit this mold. MW and CR are two players who just happened to have football talent, but weren't necessarily meant to be football players.

First, a comparison to Rice and now Gates? Mike Williams isn't even in that conversation.

Gates = supreme athlete, quick twitch, built like a house, excellent separation, hands and coordination.

Williams = none of the above.. but he is, as it's been pointed out, tall and big... His hands have been good in the past, but what does it matter if he doesn't separate, work hard or do what it takes in practice to show he's remotely worthy of being the team's No. 3 WR, much less a TE who has even more responsibilities. Williams won't even play TE so it's a moot point.

You would think that Detroit would hire a nutritionalist and put Mike Williams on a strict diet. Literally tell him what he can and can't eat every day. Then make him do wind sprints and hit the scale every day. Maybe this has been tried and Williams just can't do it, Then again, with all the money they've thrown at him I guess I would try again before cutting him. There's got to be a way to motivate this guy. They need to do it and fast and I'm quite sure that keeping him "inactive" isn't working.

The big difference I see with Mike Williams is that he's not a Charles Rogers. He doesn't have a drug problem, just a food problem. He's not a troubled soul, he's just lazy. Lazy people can be motivated. He needs to be sent to boot camp and have a drill seargant yell at him for a couple of months.

I just can't see Williams learning how to block to be a TE. He's having trouble staying motivated at WR and that's a position he apparently wants to play.

(Rotoworld) Detroit can release Mike Williams after the Super Bowl and tag him as a June 1 cap casualty to avoid a large initial cap hit.

Impact: Williams' cap hit would then be spread over two seasons, making it more manageable.

There's been talk Williams may retire after this year.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3124The rotoworld link points to MLive, which doesn't actually say anything about retiring, but Tom K does say:

Tom Kowalski: I've received a ton of e-mails similar to this and, fellas, I can only tell you what I've been hearing: The coaches are so irritated at Williams' weight, attitude and practice habits that there's almost no chance he'll ever see the field.

Are the coaches making a big mistake by not playing a guy who might be able to help them? I don't know, but they certainly don't think so.

Also, the Lions can cut Williams after the Super Bowl and designate him as a June 1 cut (and spread his cap hit over the next two seasons). Do I think that's going to happen? At this point, absolutely.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ss..._11.html#204956

Does anyone think this has to do with him being in Detroit? Would the same be said for him if he were playing close to home in California?

I'm just asking a question here is all.... Maybe Mike doesn't want to play in Detroit and this is his way of getting himself released so that he can go sign wherever he wants? Not exactly the most professional way of doing things or the best way to get yourself a fat contract (although he already has this).

I have to say, it seems all I've ever heard out of the coaching staffs he's been under in the NFL has been negative. Sure, BMW contributes to that by his work ethic, but when he has put forth the effort they immediately bench the guy. Example, Martz and Marinelli said something to the effect that BMW had worked hard in practice during one week a few games ago and that he had to continue to do that to get on the field. He apparently did that, got himself into the game, dropped a pass, and then got himself benched the rest of the game. At some point and time don't you have to give a player positive feedback...or encourage him by sending him back out onto the field after a dropped pass and look his way again?

I am not saying that he isn't fat or lazy. You can't argue against reports that have come out over and over again on this issue. Maybe what I've described above has been tried over and over? I don't know....I am just simply approaching this from a "corporate" angle like any employer would to their employees.

Signed,

BMW Owner :bag:

Does anyone think this has to do with him being in Detroit? Would the same be said for him if he were playing close to home in California?
He hates California. He wanted to play (NFL) in his native Florida. The only reason he went to USC was because they weren't going to make him play TE.He is soon to join Rashaun Woods on the pro bass fishing tour. The guy is a grade A dip####.

I'd agree with this if Mike was actually working hard in practice. Fact is, he's not.

Newsflash Ryan, the did play him. Wanna know what he did? Nothing. Wanna know what he does in practice? Nothing. You can't coach a guy that doesn't work and you can't pay a guy to just take up space. No matter who he is. Mike is nowhere in the same universe as your typical bad-practice/great-gameday player. He's no AI that's for sure! And remember, just because he was drafted there and chosen by Millen does not mean that is value is equivocal.

Users who are viewing this thread