What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tyson Comeback - to fight Roy Jones Jr Sept 12th (1 Viewer)

Zero chance I'm shelling out $50 to watch that version of Jones do anything. That was fuuuglee  :yucky: They can't find anybody else? 

It's not a real fight.  it's an exhibition.  Basically sparring.  

Kinda like Hulk Hogan vs Rocky except neither will be going ham like Hogan did.

Maybe but a couple of his more recent fights have ended really badly for him 

Exhibit a

Exhibit b

Exhibit c
sheesh, ... yeah, that's pretty bad.

Just seems like the old "move away, move away, move away, .... CLINCH" ... would work for just about anyone for a couple of rounds and would be a safe strategy for an easy payday..

He neither moved away nor clinched in any of those clips.

Maybe he thought he had a chance in those fights ... gonna resurrect the career and junk ... and he would be willing to change up his strategy for this one.

Either way, there is a spit-ton of money to anyone with recognizable name willing to fight Tyson. If it means getting knocked the f out one last time, so be it.

Jones likely never going to see another payday like this one. Hard for anyone to pass up I would think.

Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr fight rules revealed with ‘no judges and bout to be abandoned if either boxer suffers a cut’

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/1192483/mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-jr-fight-rules/

It seems that the winner may only be determined via knockout - if either man even gets that chance

It has emerged that the clash will be stopped if either receives a cut. 

California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster spoke to Boxingscene.com to explain: “Tyson and Jones Jr won’t be wearing headgear for the fight.

“They’ll be lacing up 12-ounce gloves and there won’t be any judges present at the fight to score the action.

“So, technically there won’t be a winner unless a knockout somehow occurs. Or, either fighter is deemed unfit to continue.”

Foster added: “They can move around and make some money, but I told them ‘if you get cut, it’s over.’”

Tyson had said previously: “The rules in California are that we must wear headgear.

“We’re there to show our skills, and we’re fighting. This is what I learned in boxing when I was a young boy.

“When you sign that contract, there is an unwritten clause in there that can die at any moment during training or fighting

Lame.

Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr fight rules revealed with ‘no judges and bout to be abandoned if either boxer suffers a cut’

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/1192483/mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-jr-fight-rules/

It seems that the winner may only be determined via knockout - if either man even gets that chance

It has emerged that the clash will be stopped if either receives a cut. 

California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster spoke to Boxingscene.com to explain: “Tyson and Jones Jr won’t be wearing headgear for the fight.

“They’ll be lacing up 12-ounce gloves and there won’t be any judges present at the fight to score the action.

“So, technically there won’t be a winner unless a knockout somehow occurs. Or, either fighter is deemed unfit to continue.”

Foster added: “They can move around and make some money, but I told them ‘if you get cut, it’s over.’”

Tyson had said previously: “The rules in California are that we must wear headgear.

“We’re there to show our skills, and we’re fighting. This is what I learned in boxing when I was a young boy.

“When you sign that contract, there is an unwritten clause in there that can die at any moment during training or fighting

Lame.
are you not entertained

This pulls at the heart strings, but ultimately I find this embarassing.

110% guaranteed disappointment.

Just did the Tyson youtube rabbit hole.  Holy crap I had forgotten what kind of animal he was.   What would his career been like without the faux rape prosecution?

Just did the Tyson youtube rabbit hole.  Holy crap I had forgotten what kind of animal he was.   What would his career been like without the faux rape prosecution?
He was psychologically a wreck. Desiree Washington or no, there was really no way to get around the extreme poverty he faced, followed quickly by Cus basically turning him into a Terminator. It worked great for him being in the ring, but it didn't solve what a mess his life had been until that point. His autobiography is really great, he goes into all of it in great detail.

Anyway, according to Andy Taylor who runs CSAC (they sanctioned that farcical 7-second women's bout last night, btw), it's an exhibition: no judges, ref is going to stop it quickly if anything bad happens, and they're gonna have 12 oz gloves instead of 10. I took Jones to win, but I don't even know if anyone's going to win. What's the 2020 equivalent of a newspaper decision?

The fight has 2 outcomes:

A. It's boring, sloppy mess with both guys completely gassed by round 7

B. Roy Jones Jr is unconscious by round 3. You know if there is anything Mike can still do, it's punch hard. The last decade or so of Roy's career has been him thinking he still was as quick and slick as he was in 90s and getting brutally KO'd for it. He really should not take this fight. 
There's a fairly high chance this fight gets canceled in the final weeks due to age/health/insurance IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread