What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Reiss ranks the Patriots Roster 1-82 (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
link

The first thought that came to mind was establishing some guidelines for the rankings. These rankings are primarily based on four factors:

1. Talent.

2. Importance in the short and long term (which projects development).

3. Positional value.

4. Economic value.
Some highlights:Faulk the highest ranked RB at 14 - next was Maroney at 18, Morris at 30, then Taylor at 41

Welker #2 to Brady's 1, Moss #5, Edelman #15, Tate #24.

Both Hernandez and Gronk in the 20s

Biggest surprise: Tully Banta-Cain at #10

There are lots of these kinds of lists published in the offseason, I'll try to link to more when I can.

Tom Brady

Top 10

This is another reminder of why Welker's recovery -- and when he might return -- will be a big story. Vollmer is ranked ahead of any other offensive lineman as he projects as a starter at right tackle in 2010 and the team's likely left tackle of the future, protecting Tom Brady's blind side. Butler also finds himself in the top 10 because he's a likely starter at the premier left cornerback spot. Although guard isn't a premier position, seeing Mankins in this area highlights his importance to the team.

1. Tom Brady, QB 6. Brandon Meriweather, S

2. Wes Welker, WR 7. Sebastian Vollmer, OT

3. Jerod Mayo, ILB 8. Logan Mankins, G

4. Vince Wilfork, DL 9. Darius Butler, CB

5. Randy Moss, WR 10. Tully Banta-Cain, OLB

Julian Edelman

Nos. 11-20

Edelman's (pictured) presence shines a spotlight on his remarkable rise from a 2009 seventh-round draft choice learning to play receiver to a player who will be relied upon as a key cog in the offense, especially if Welker is not ready for the start of the regular season. Chung is right there as well, as the Patriots will be counting on their top draft choice from '09 to emerge.

11. Leigh Bodden, CB 16. Patrick Chung, S

12. Ty Warren, DE 17. Devin McCourty, CB

13. Matt Light, OT 18. Laurence Maroney, RB

14. Kevin Faulk, RB 19. Stephen Neal, G

15. Julian Edelman, WR 20. Mike Wright, DL

Rob Gronkowski

Nos. 21-30

At one point this offseason, the Patriots had a bare cupboard at tight end, but now the position is stocked with a trio that falls into this area on the roster. All three should make the club, and all three have a good chance of being active on the 45-man game-day roster. Gronkowski (pictured) gets top billing because of his draft status (second round), although he might not contribute as much as the others right away.

21. Nick Kaczur, OL 26. Derrick Burgess, OLB

22. Dan Koppen, C 27. Jermaine Cunningham, OLB

23. Stephen Gostkowski, K 28. Aaron Hernandez, TE

24. Brandon Tate, WR 29. Alge Crumpler, TE

25. Rob Gronkowski, TE 30. Sammy Morris, RB

Guyton

Nos. 31-40

One of the intriguing position battles in training camp will be at inside linebacker, where Guyton (pictured), McKenzie and Spikes will vie for playing time next to Mayo. At this point, it's a challenge to see how that will shake out, but all three should be on the club, contributing in some form.

31. Gerard Warren, DE 36. Ron Brace, DE

32. Gary Guyton, ILB 37. Tyrone McKenzie, ILB

33. James Sanders, S 38. Brandon Spikes, ILB

34. Brandon McGowan, S 39. Jonathan Wilhite, CB

35. Torry Holt, WR 40. Brian Hoyer, QB

Aiken

Nos. 41-50

Special-teams value starts to come into focus around this layer of the roster. Aiken (pictured) has served as a special-teams captain, while Woods tied for the team-high in special-teams tackles last season. It's a challenge to project a veteran like Lewis who has yet to play in a Patriots-type scheme, so he could shoot up the ranks, or down, once training camp begins.

41. Fred Taylor, RB 46. Zoltan Mesko, P

42. Taylor Price, WR 47. Mark LeVoir, OT

43. Sam Aiken, WR 48. Pierre Woods, OLB

44. Myron Pryor, DL 49. Matthew Slater, WR

45. Damione Lewis, DL 50. Rob Ninkovich, OLB

Arrington

Nos. 51-60

More special-teams competition shows up this area (Arrington, Lockett, Murrell), as well as the team's continuing process of developing young offensive linemen. This is the area where players project to be on the roster bubble, and where coaches are often projecting development when considering whether to devote a roster spot to them.

51. Ted Larsen, C 56. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB

52. Kyle Arrington, CB 57. Bret Lockett, S

53. Jake Ingram, LS 58. Shawn Crable, OLB

54. Dan Connolly, C/G 59. Marques Murrell, OLB

55. Thomas Welch, OT 60. Rich Ohrnberger, C/G

Wheatley

Nos. 61-70

Wheatley (pictured), the 2008 second-round draft choice, could have a tough time making the club if everyone is healthy. As a projected fifth corner at this point, special-teams contributions will be key, and he hasn't been a major factor in that area. Williams' versatility to play fullback could make him a sleeper candidate to rise up the ranks.

61. Terrence Wheatley, CB 66. Eric Alexander, ILB

62. Zac Robinson, QB 67. Rob Myers, TE

63. Thomas Williams, ILB/FB 68. David Patten, WR

64. Ryan Wendell, C/G 69. Darryl Richard, DE

65. George Bussey, OL 70. Brandon Deaderick, DE

Farnham

Nos. 71-82

The Patriots drafted 12 players in 2009 and another 12 in 2010, which will make it tough for any undrafted player to break through. This group is comprised mostly of rookie free agents, including former Brown receiver Farnham (pictured), and since they face long odds for a roster spot, a more realistic goal is sticking on the practice squad.

71. Kade Weston, DE 77. Terrence Johnson, CB

72. Dane Fletcher, ILB 78. John Wise, OL

73. Thomas Clayton, RB 79. Ross Ventrone, S

74. Darnell Jenkins, WR 80. Adrian Grady, DL

75. Kyle Love, DL 81. Buddy Farnham, WR

76. Sergio Brown, S 82. Chris Taylor, RB

He's probably the best beat writer out there period in my mind. Also love Maiocco and Aaron Wilson. Anyways, great article.

Banta-Cain's position at #10 isn't all that surprising once you realize that he is by far their best pass rusher and that the cupboard is pretty much bare after him in terms of established talent at OLB.

The biggest surprise to me was Meriweather at #6. Safety might be the deepest position on the team. Meriweather is a very good player, but he hasn't quite established himself as a "great" player yet. I don't even think he'd make my Top 10.

Welker at #2 is pretty laughable IMO.
Agreed, so is Edelman at 11. Randy Moss should be #1. He is the reason Welker and Edelman can run wild in the slot. He is also the reason Brady went from a 24-28 TD a year guy to the NFL record for TD's in a season.

Agreed, so is Edelman at 11. Randy Moss should be #1. He is the reason Welker and Edelman can run wild in the slot. He is also the reason Brady went from a 24-28 TD a year guy to the NFL record for TD's in a season.
While I agree with what you're saying, I don't know that Moss can be placed much higher than he is given that long term value was one of the criteria. Moss is likely gone after this year. None the less, Mayo, Vollmer and Wilfork are all vastly more important, have more talent and play more critical positions IMO. That is the minimum amount of guys that should be ahead of Welker (also figuring Brady and Moss ahead of him).

While I agree with what you're saying, I don't know that Moss can be placed much higher than he is given that long term value was one of the criteria. Moss is likely gone after this year. None the less, Mayo, Vollmer and Wilfork are all vastly more important, have more talent and play more critical positions IMO. That is the minimum amount of guys that should be ahead of Welker (also figuring Brady and Moss ahead of him).
Im not suggesting Moss should be #1 going forward, just that he is as important as anyone on that team right now considering how he makes everyone on the offense that much better.

Im not suggesting Moss should be #1 going forward, just that he is as important as anyone on that team right now considering how he makes everyone on the offense that much better.
He's not as important as Brady, but I think he's probably the second most important piece. Maybe third after Wilfork.

Last edited by a moderator:
why is Kevin Faulk ranked number 14 with the long term value part of the equation?

Thought it was interesting that they had 4 WRs in the top-24. Seems like a stretch to me.
:goodposting: If Brady is so important, you would think that he would be able to work with any WRs. Pretty sure they won 3 SBs without Moss and with pretty crappy WRs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread