What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Cox Anyone? (1 Viewer)

3optic

Footballguy
Wow sorry about awkward topic heading.

Anyone like his chances to make a mark as possible change of pace while Andre Brown heals up? Seems to have similar role.

Runs a 4.58 40 and..

Cox was named to the All-American Super Sleeper Team by The NFL Draft Report…

The powerfully built ball carrier found success in the UMass one-back offense as a senior, more than making up for four seasons of relative inactivity while a member of the University of Michigan program. Compared to former New York Giants standout, Ron Johnson, the Dorchester product is likely to shift to fullback at the professional level, as he is a punishing blocker with excellent leg drive to get the tough yardage running between the tackles.

Cox lettered three times on the gridiron at Avon Old Farms High School, where he rushed for more than 2,400 yards in three seasons at running back. He tallied 222 yards on 41 carries before his senior season was cut short due to an ankle injury. He rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior, averaging nearly 10 yards per carry, and scored sixteen times on the ground in 2006.

Cox was regarded as a four-star prospect and the 35th-best running back nationally according to Scout.com. He was ranked 30th on the Rivals.com Prep School Top 50 list and tabbed the 69th-best running back recruit in the country by ESPN.com. The Prep Star All-East Region choice participated in the Piscataway NIKE Training Camp and attended the New Jersey NIKE Combine before enrolling at the University of Michigan.

Cox was never given much of an opportunity with the Wolverines. He red-shirted in 2008 and appeared briefly in four games in 2009, as he totaled 113 yards with two touchdowns on thirteen carries. He saw two games of action as a junior (56 yards on six runs) and did not see playing time until the final two games of the 2011 season. The NCAA later granted him permission to transfer without sitting out the year.

The 2012 season was the ball carrier’s “coming out party.” He started all twelve games for the Minutemen, scoring five times on 198 attempts for 715 yards. He also caught thirteen tosses for 63 yards. At the NFL Super Regional Combine in Dallas, he opened the eyes of NFL decision makers, running a 4.58-second 40-yard dash with 24 reps in the 225-pound bench press, followed by a 41-inch vertical jump and a 10’-11” broad jump...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have him stashed on my ppr dynasty team. Torrain had that nasty concussion and cox had a tremendous camp. FBG even said he was pushing scott for the third spot.

Tough to put a lot of stock in a rookie RB under Coughlin. He and Fox seem to like to give them a year. We'll see though. Injuries in the NFL can force a coach's hand.

Why isn't Scott the man here?

He's been with the Giants for a while, tons of speed, he's not the traditional Jacobs/brown guy here, but he's got plenty of talent, especially speed. Wilson can handle the goal line work, but why not Scott coming in for resting Wilson and on some 3rd down plays and passing plays? Seems like a good opportunity for Scott.

He's been with the Giants for a while, tons of speed, he's not the traditional Jacobs/brown guy here, but he's got plenty of talent, especially speed. Wilson can handle the goal line work, but why not Scott coming in for resting Wilson and on some 3rd down plays and passing plays? Seems like a good opportunity for Scott.
Would you say he has speed?

Honestly, we have no real idea who the guy is here. I think Cox is better odds to win that 3rd down role than Scott if he has shown good pass protection simply because he fits more of that Andre Brown role. Where as Scott is more of a thrift store version of David Wilson.

Would you say he has speed?

Honestly, we have no real idea who the guy is here. I think Cox is better odds to win that 3rd down role than Scott if he has shown good pass protection simply because he fits more of that Andre Brown role. Where as Scott is more of a thrift store version of David Wilson.
Well the Giants drafted him, he ran a 4.35 or so at the Combine a couple years back, I remember he broke a 90+ yard TD a while back in preseason. Do we know Cox is that good of a blocker? Scott's been around for a couple years now, so I'm guessing that's something they must have coached him up on, though not a regular NYG watcher so looking for opinions like everyone else.

I agree - became a lot more intriguing to me. Scott isn't a complement to Wilson - Cox is. Combined with his KR role, he could have some flex value in return yardage leagues. All it takes is one fumble from Wilson for Coughlin to look a different way.

FWIW:

Da`Rel Scott was the NFL's no. 3 rusher in the 2011 preseason - 14/213/2TD, 15.2 avg., long of 97(TD), 2/20/0 rec. I think he was injured for much of last year.

According to RW: Cox is 6'1", 214 lbs.; Scott is 5'11", 210 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread