What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meach is a Charger (1 Viewer)

I haven't seen confirmation of this elsewhere, but if true, this is a GREAT landing spot for Meachem. He gets a great QB and the team lacks a WR1 so he should get a ton more targets than he did in NO. Depending on who else SD signs, I see Meachem as a WR3 at a minimum, with WR2 as a ceiling.

Damn, was hoping he would end up in Seattle. They need to increase their weapons, but I am sure a lack of QB is not helping. :wall:

per UTSanDiego

Michael Gehlken ‏ @UTgehlken Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Four-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.

This is extremely frustrating as a Bills homer. Your team finally ready to make some serious moves and spend the cash and still cant get one of the high profile free agents.

Huge payday for a mediocre WR. Bills fans should be happy they didn't waste money on Meachem.

Last edited by a moderator:
per UTSanDiegoMichael Gehlken ‏ @UTgehlken Reply Retweet Favorite · OpenFour-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.
Vincent Jackson 26 million guaranteed 55 M over 5 yearsRobert Meacham 14 million guaranteed 26 M over 4 yearsHmmm...

Huge payday for a mediocre WR. Bills fans should be happy they didn't waste money on Meachem.
Would have been better off paying Braylon close to the minimum as a deep threat.Meachem's barely a #2 WR. God help him as a #1. Should take him a few years to pick up the Chargers offense. :thumbup:

per UTSanDiegoMichael Gehlken ‏ @UTgehlken Reply Retweet Favorite · OpenFour-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.
Vincent Jackson 26 million guaranteed 55 M over 5 yearsRobert Meacham 14 million guaranteed 26 M over 4 yearsHmmm...
I am going out on a limb and say that I don't think SD will skip a beat. I always felt that VJax was an average WR who benefited from a great QB. Now Meachem will do the same. He has great speed and size and good run after catch skills. Now we will see what he can do as the featured WR and not a part-time player, but I predict he puts up numbers very close to what VJax has.

This is extremely frustrating as a Bills homer. Your team finally ready to make some serious moves and spend the cash and still cant get one of the high profile free agents.
Eh, that's too much money for him. I'd rather them go re-sign Demetrius Bell at LT and then draft Michael Floyd. Or just finally get a chance to see what Marcus Easley can do. This overpayment for #2 and #3 WRs this year is insane.Now, if the same thing happens with Mario, then yeah, then I'll be mad.

Good move for the Chargers. I agree I don't see him as much of a step down from VJax. Both are big play, not high catch # kind of guys. He certainly comes at a better price.

Meach will put up career numbers in SD this year, nice move for Bolts.
That shouldn't be to hard to do_Overall i can see people being happy about it but I think they may be kidding themselves if they think he will bring to the table what VJAX did.

There is more than one comment here about how "VJAX was an average WR playing with a great QB". I think the truth may be more on the other side. Rivers, and I love him, but I think its become more and more obvious that he's not in that same group of upper echelon QBs.

he has had the luxury of playing with LT, Gates, and at times a defense that can really heat things up. And then you have a 6'5" WR that can run like VJAX does. You can't teach speed and height. So, you have a very good QB that has played with two HOF'ers and a guy that is quite a physical matchup problem. After watching the Chargers pretty closely all last season, I am more of the opinion that he grossly under utilized VJAX.

Yes, I know VJAX gets the negative attention sometimes but there were a lot of plays in games where it seemed like Rivers refused to look at VJAX or take advantage of him near the goal line. And overall it is really hard to deny what VJAX CAN DO at times.

Some people point to that and say that is on VJAX; being focussed, but its been pretty obvious that when Rivers has been willing to lock on to VJAX (like Brees and Brady does Graham and Gronk, or Cutler used to do Marshall, etc), that he puts up MONSTER games. If you look at the games, there were a good handful when VJAX was targeted 3-6 times a game, and a couple of those "targets" each game were the very low percentage 50 yard chucks in situations at the end. In short, he wasn't really used like a veteran mismatch receiver. 115 targets on the year is in the AJ Green range and 45 or so less than the Calvins and Roddy's. For a team that we think of as a team that airs it out all day, 115 isn't much when you think of a team like the Bengals that run it a lot can get 115 targets to a rookie (with a rookie QB). But then when you look at the games when VJAX does get 8-9 targets and you see the dominant games. I don't think Tampa was the place to go to increase his targets but I do think that he is a very good player that, if his team will throw the ball to him and treat him like a #1, will do fine. For that same reason, I think Meachum will be limited much like he was in New Orleans.

I know I'm probably of the minority but I think the Chargers will miss VJAX more than VJAX misses the Chargers.

So glad the Packers resigned Nelson last year rather than letting him out there with this money flying for WRs.He signed a 3 year extension for 12.6 million in October with 3.5 signing bonus.TT got him dirt cheap.

So glad the Packers resigned Nelson last year rather than letting him out there with this money flying for WRs.He signed a 3 year extension for 12.6 million in October with 3.5 signing bonus.TT got him dirt cheap.
Now imagine he was black....

Meachem is a perfect fit for the Chargers offense and should boost his fantasy stock considerably, and V.Brown shouldn't be overlooked here because he is a balanced WR not a underneath possession slot guy like posted above. Brown has great body control and excellent hands and finds the ball very well on the deep ball (See the Oakland game). Back to Meachem i don't think he will put up a ton of catches, but he should be able to get 6-7 TDs to go along with 800-1,000 yards with Rivers throwing deep often.

Love the signing as a Meachem owner in two leagues. Couldn't ask for a better spot.

We'll find out now if Meachem can do more than he was ever asked to do in New Orleans. The Saints spread the ball around and he was still relatively productive as the 3rd or 4th option. Obviously the Chargers - and seemingly other teams - think he's capable of a lot more.

Meachem is a perfect fit for the Chargers offense and should boost his fantasy stock considerably, and V.Brown shouldn't be overlooked here because he is a balanced WR not a underneath possession slot guy like posted above. Brown has great body control and excellent hands and finds the ball very well on the deep ball (See the Oakland game). Back to Meachem i don't think he will put up a ton of catches, but he should be able to get 6-7 TDs to go along with 800-1,000 yards with Rivers throwing deep often.
This is about how I see it as well. I think Meachem will be solid, but not quite on the production level that Jackson was. As for Brown, he's an extremely good route rouner (much better so than Floyd or Meachem), and I feel that Rivers will come to rely on him quite heavily.

Exactly. Meachem isn't half the threat as Jackson yet they pay that kind of money to him and let Jackson walk. AJ Smith is a genius! :hophead:

Exactly. Meachem isn't half the threat as Jackson yet they pay that kind of money to him and let Jackson walk. AJ Smith is a genius! :hophead:
I think Meachem is more than half the threat of Vincent Jackson. So i'll take that bet.

Since he's incapable of winning a SB and so is Snyder, they are dueling it out in their own way.

In 2011:

Vincent Jackson- 60 receptions 1106 yards 9 TD on 115 targets

Robert Meachem- 40 receptions 620 yards 6 TD on 60 targets

What if we gave Meachem the same targets(round it up to 120 for easy math purposes) as Jackson?

Meachem would have 80 receptions for 1240 yards and 12 TDs.

Lets note that Vincent Jackson has NEVER accomplished 70 catches or 1200 yards or 10 TDs in a season...with a good QB in Phillip Rivers.

Meach will put up career numbers in SD this year, nice move for Bolts.
That shouldn't be to hard to do_Overall i can see people being happy about it but I think they may be kidding themselves if they think he will bring to the table what VJAX did.

There is more than one comment here about how "VJAX was an average WR playing with a great QB". I think the truth may be more on the other side. Rivers, and I love him, but I think its become more and more obvious that he's not in that same group of upper echelon QBs.

he has had the luxury of playing with LT, Gates, and at times a defense that can really heat things up. And then you have a 6'5" WR that can run like VJAX does. You can't teach speed and height. So, you have a very good QB that has played with two HOF'ers and a guy that is quite a physical matchup problem. After watching the Chargers pretty closely all last season, I am more of the opinion that he grossly under utilized VJAX.

Yes, I know VJAX gets the negative attention sometimes but there were a lot of plays in games where it seemed like Rivers refused to look at VJAX or take advantage of him near the goal line. And overall it is really hard to deny what VJAX CAN DO at times.

Some people point to that and say that is on VJAX; being focussed, but its been pretty obvious that when Rivers has been willing to lock on to VJAX (like Brees and Brady does Graham and Gronk, or Cutler used to do Marshall, etc), that he puts up MONSTER games. If you look at the games, there were a good handful when VJAX was targeted 3-6 times a game, and a couple of those "targets" each game were the very low percentage 50 yard chucks in situations at the end. In short, he wasn't really used like a veteran mismatch receiver. 115 targets on the year is in the AJ Green range and 45 or so less than the Calvins and Roddy's. For a team that we think of as a team that airs it out all day, 115 isn't much when you think of a team like the Bengals that run it a lot can get 115 targets to a rookie (with a rookie QB). But then when you look at the games when VJAX does get 8-9 targets and you see the dominant games. I don't think Tampa was the place to go to increase his targets but I do think that he is a very good player that, if his team will throw the ball to him and treat him like a #1, will do fine. For that same reason, I think Meachum will be limited much like he was in New Orleans.

I know I'm probably of the minority but I think the Chargers will miss VJAX more than VJAX misses the Chargers.
On the one hand, I agree that Jackson is better than an average WR. He has good speed, good athleticism, hgood body control, and good hands. Combine all that with his height and he is a tough matchup. He is also a pretty good run blocking WR.But you are completely underrating Rivers here. Rivers led the NFL in passing yards and threw 30 TDs in 2010, when VJax held out almost all year and the rest of the Chargers' TEs and WRs were in and out of the lineup with injuries. Consider this from 2010:

RB1 Mathews missed 4 games

TE1 Gates missed 6 games

WR1 Jackson missed 11 games

WR2 Floyd missed 5 games

WR3 Naanee missed 6 games

WR4 Crayton missed 6 games

WR5 Davis missed 9 games

The Chargers' passing offense will be fine with Meachem instead of Jackson.

This is about how I see it as well. I think Meachem will be solid, but not quite on the production level that Jackson was. As for Brown, he's an extremely good route rouner (much better so than Floyd or Meachem), and I feel that Rivers will come to rely on him quite heavily.
Do you think he's going to beat out Floyd or Meachem to start? As often as the Chargers' offense throws to RBs and TEs, it's hard to see Rivers relying heavily on the #3 WR, barring injuries to others.

per UTSanDiego

Michael Gehlken ‏ @UTgehlken Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Four-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.
Vincent Jackson 26 million guaranteed 55 M over 5 yearsRobert Meacham 14 million guaranteed 26 M over 4 years

Hmmm...
The Chargers were 14.9 M under the cap as of yesterday. What were you expecting Smith to do?

They paid Meach about half the money for half the threat.

In 2011:Vincent Jackson- 60 receptions 1106 yards 9 TD on 115 targetsRobert Meachem- 40 receptions 620 yards 6 TD on 60 targetsWhat if we gave Meachem the same targets(round it up to 120 for easy math purposes) as Jackson?Meachem would have 80 receptions for 1240 yards and 12 TDs.Lets note that Vincent Jackson has NEVER accomplished 70 catches or 1200 yards or 10 TDs in a season...with a good QB in Phillip Rivers.
Sorry, but not really the same is it? Meachem's 60 targets are when he is open enough for Brees to throw it to him instead of Colston, Graham or Sproles who all had over 100 targets. Devery Henderson had 32 receptions on 50 targets for 503 yards, which means he could replace VJ and also get 1200 yards.VJ was the main target of the defense, so he is going to do less with each target IMHO, but Meachem will be on the 3rd or 4th best defender and pretty much always in single coverage, so when he gets a target he should do more. The problem is that just doubling the stats is meaningless because Meachem as a WR1 is far different than being the 4th WR for NO.Tons of examples of non-WR1s going to other teams and not becoming a stud WR when they draw the best corner and more DB help. I am not sure I can recall (there probably are cases) where a WR2 or WR4 in this case based on targets went to another team and actually performed like a WR1 FF wise.

In 2011:Vincent Jackson- 60 receptions 1106 yards 9 TD on 115 targetsRobert Meachem- 40 receptions 620 yards 6 TD on 60 targetsWhat if we gave Meachem the same targets(round it up to 120 for easy math purposes) as Jackson?Meachem would have 80 receptions for 1240 yards and 12 TDs.Lets note that Vincent Jackson has NEVER accomplished 70 catches or 1200 yards or 10 TDs in a season...with a good QB in Phillip Rivers.
Sorry, but not really the same is it? Meachem's 60 targets are when he is open enough for Brees to throw it to him instead of Colston, Graham or Sproles who all had over 100 targets. Devery Henderson had 32 receptions on 50 targets for 503 yards, which means he could replace VJ and also get 1200 yards.VJ was the main target of the defense, so he is going to do less with each target IMHO, but Meachem will be on the 3rd or 4th best defender and pretty much always in single coverage, so when he gets a target he should do more. The problem is that just doubling the stats is meaningless because Meachem as a WR1 is far different than being the 4th WR for NO.Tons of examples of non-WR1s going to other teams and not becoming a stud WR when they draw the best corner and more DB help. I am not sure I can recall (there probably are cases) where a WR2 or WR4 in this case based on targets went to another team and actually performed like a WR1 FF wise.
I don't disagree, but this is in reply that Meachem isn't half the threat of Vincent Jackson.

This is good for Meachem owners, but it's still a mild downgrade from V Jacks. Meachem just isn't as consistent as V Jacks, which says something because V Jacks was far from consistent. The decreased salary reflects that though.

Do you think he's going to beat out Floyd or Meachem to start? As often as the Chargers' offense throws to RBs and TEs, it's hard to see Rivers relying heavily on the #3 WR, barring injuries to others.
I think that Floyd and Meachem offer similar big play abilities, but that neither is a proficient route runner. With San Diego's offense that's likely less critical than most others, but I still think that Brown gets more time in two WR sets than people anticipate. Will that come at the expense of Meachem or Floyd? I'm not sure, but I just think that Brown will earn more reps than most anticipate.

flawless analysis

I think that Floyd and Meachem offer similar big play abilities, but that neither is a proficient route runner. With San Diego's offense that's likely less critical than most others, but I still think that Brown gets more time in two WR sets than people anticipate. Will that come at the expense of Meachem or Floyd? I'm not sure, but I just think that Brown will earn more reps than most anticipate.
Based on what? a hunch? I think if you ask most people that follow the chargers closely, we know that floyd n Meachem will start and that Vbrown will be the 3rd wr. Throw in Gates and Mathews taking passes away I think VBrown will be lucky to be the 5th passing option right now.

They paid Meach about half the money for half the threat.
Meachem is half the WR, but also doesn't demand any extra attention.VJax is a #1 WR in the NFL, Meachem is complimentary at best. VJax was a guy defenses keyed on and would commit more than 1 guy to. Meachem can be single covered.VJax' contract is $26 mill guaranteed. Meachem is getting $14 mill guaranteed.

Based on what? a hunch? I think if you ask most people that follow the chargers closely, we know that floyd n Meachem will start and that Vbrown will be the 3rd wr. Throw in Gates and Mathews taking passes away I think VBrown will be lucky to be the 5th passing option right now.
Isn't everything said on these boards "based on a hunch?" You're reacting as if I said Brown was going to go for 1,000 yards and 10 TD's next year. I'm not. I'm pretty sure I didn't say that Brown would start, as I agree that it will be Meachem (based on $) and Floyd (based on experience) that start Week 1. But I think Brown will get more time on the field than just 3 WR sets, especially as the season wears on. So yes, a hunch.

Meecham dynasty owners should be thrilled (I know I am). In a redraft I can see him being over valued and drafted to early for my blood.

However he no doubt has the skill set to put up a career year. No question about it.

80 receptions 1250 yards 8 TD's.

Kid can do it. He has a very good QB and a great TE to take some heat off him as well.

Good move by the Chargers IMO.

I love this spot for him and Rivers
I agree..Meach was never the go to guy for the Saints. Watching the Saints I always felt he was not used enough for his playmaking skills. Then again with the way Graham played last year the wealth had to be spread.

Users who are viewing this thread