What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Jones-Drew (2013) (1 Viewer)

lol.

MJD is smart.

That's what you need to know when valueing him.

He milked that injury to extend the tread on his tires and get closer to the end of a horrible contract he was VERY VERY unhappy with.

Just because it was an injury affecting the midfoot, which can be lumped into 'lisfranc' doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot.

Degree is everything. Was it a partial displacement of the lisfranc? was that medially or laterally displacent? a total divergent displacement? a simple fracture of the lisfranc? a sprain of the lisfranc? maybe none of the above? or a very minor version of one of the above? Perhaps surgery could be justified to improve or increase the stability of in that area of the foot, perhaps the injury did involve the lisfranc area, but the surgery was something minor and obviously took places months and months after the injury occured? I don't really know, few people do. There seems to be a LOT of things that could be a lisfranc injury, to lump them all under the 'doomsday' "oh no! Lisfanc" scenario doesn't make sense... if it was the catastrophic career threatening type of injury, given where he is in his career (age) and knowing he's a bright guy... it would stand to reason he would have went under the knife quickly to begin his therapy and rehab quickly... he didn't. He didn't appear to do anything in a rushed matter when it came to his injury...

Hard to say, in my opinion it makes perfect sense given all the factors at play (contract, non competive team overworking him, etc..etc..) that he wasn't rushed to get back and it likely wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of as serious as some would have you think (those some are the ones pushing his ADP back deep inot the 2nd round). Given all the forces at play here, the Jags would NOT call out their franchise face out on 'milking' or stalling his rehab...

I'm just reading the 'tells' here.

That's just my opinion. I wouldn't hesiitate to dance a jig after getting MJD aroung teh trun of the 1st/2nd of a redraft next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. Unrelated to the recent non-arrest incident, how are people feeling about MJD as a short-term RB1 this season? More or less optimistic than a month or two ago?

ConnSKINS26 said:
Bump. Unrelated to the recent non-arrest incident, how are people feeling about MJD as a short-term RB1 this season? More or less optimistic than a month or two ago?
Less. I was misinformed by several things I read saying that he was not that badly injured. I have seen recent pictures of him. He did not look motivated or in shape from what I saw. Not what I want to see.

Still keeping an open mind and think he is a great player who could be tremendous value this season. But until I see he is in game shape and motivated I would not likely target him for trades or drafts right now.

Would be nice to hear Dr Bramels opinion about this.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Less. I was misinformed by several things I read saying that he was not that badly injured. I have seen recent pictures of him. He did not look motivated or in shape from what I saw. Not what I want to see. Still keeping an open mind and think he is a great player who could be tremendous value this season. But until I see he is in game shape and motivated I would not likely target him for trades or drafts right now. Would be nice to hear Dr Bramels opinion about this.
I guess that's the million dollar question: when will he be considered "safe" again? Because if you're not willing to buy him now when his price could be depressed, will you be willing to pony up more as the season draws closer and everyone has visions of possible playoff berths dancing in their heads? I think anyone looking to get value out of MJD has to decide now whether they believe or not--or you'll be paying substantially more a couple months from now. So that's the tricky part, for buyers at least.Current owners have to decide whether to bail now or hold and hope he A) increases in price, to be sold closer to the season or B) is worth keeping on a competitive roster. Go down with the ship, per se.

I was reading parts of the Dune series over the weekend and one of the quotes really stood out to me. "The tripod of agreement is based on Desire, Data and Doubt." Which I think really fits what fantasy football is about and especially in this situation.

I desire for MJD to recover and do well because he is a player I really like and wish for him to be successful.

The data is all of the information about the player and team situation. Good and Bad information.

The doubt is if MJD will be capable of being the player he once was this season or ever again. He is not getting any younger.

If he is fat and out of shape, who's going to carry the ball this year? Justin Forsett? Denard Robinson?

Are they interested in Bradshaw?

Glad I don't name keepers until 2 weeks before my late August draft. Now seriously considering dropping him. Hope he comes to camp looking way better than that TMZ photo (if that is him).

Bump. Any news on MJD? Really wondering whether to keep him.

If he is still not 100% by camp, do I just let him go and go with Ridley as my keeper?

i regret to inform you that i think this is the year the wheels fall off i just see an eddie george fall off for him and i think that this is the year i might be wrong but hey just a word of caution from the old swcer about the pride and soul of one of the most storied and proud franchises in the nfl which has singlehandedly been ruined by dawn fetal position gabbert take that to the bank brohans

While doing some recent mock drafts, I've noticed he's been going in the very late second and, in two cases, 3.1. I'd gamble on him there, but no higher.

If he makes it through camp with no foot setbacks I think he's got some value at his current ADP of RB14. He's only 28, he averaged 15.1 ppg through Week 5 last year (good for RB12 prorated for full season), his team has developed a downfield passing attack via Shorts and Blackmon, and the offensive line should be better too.

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew predicted two weeks ago that his surgically-repaired foot would be healed in time to join his teammates for the start of training camp.General manager David Caldwell confirmed that the plan is for Jones-Drew to participate if he passes his entrance exam going into camp. The question is whether the team's best offensive player will be eased back in with an eye on the regular-season opener.

According to the Florida Times-Union, running backs coach Terry Richards said Thursday that he has "faith and confidence" that Jones-Drew will be "full-go" when padded practices begin July 31.

While doing some recent mock drafts, I've noticed he's been going in the very late second and, in two cases, 3.1. I'd gamble on him there, but no higher.
His current ADP at FFC.com is 2.07, ahead of Graham, Rodgers, Brees, Julio, D. Thomas, Gore, Wilson, and L. Miller to name a few. I'm pretty sure MJD won't be on any of my teams.

How'd he look? Didn't see the game but the statline was terrible, against the Raiders no less.
He did get injured in the game, but before that he looked fine health wise. I've got to be honest though. I'm really scratching my head about how they've been using him. The play calling has been horribly predictable and they haven't been using MJD in the passing game at all, despite his strong history as a potent weapon. Both weeks, the defense has stacked the line, blitzed the QB and dared them to beat them in the passing game. I've watched both games and I can't recall a single screen to MJD. I'm sorry but that's football 101. If your QB is under constant pressure, one of the absolute best ways to slow down the rush is a HB screen. Here's the best weapon they have available and they aren't trying any creative ways to get him the ball. Anyone else finding that odd? Or am I the only one actually watching a Jax game (can't say I'd blame you if I am).

How'd he look? Didn't see the game but the statline was terrible, against the Raiders no less.
He did get injured in the game, but before that he looked fine health wise. I've got to be honest though. I'm really scratching my head about how they've been using him. The play calling has been horribly predictable and they haven't been using MJD in the passing game at all, despite his strong history as a potent weapon. Both weeks, the defense has stacked the line, blitzed the QB and dared them to beat them in the passing game. I've watched both games and I can't recall a single screen to MJD. I'm sorry but that's football 101. If your QB is under constant pressure, one of the absolute best ways to slow down the rush is a HB screen. Here's the best weapon they have available and they aren't trying any creative ways to get him the ball. Anyone else finding that odd? Or am I the only one actually watching a Jax game (can't say I'd blame you if I am).
agree with everything you wrote - I don't understand the lack of involvement for him in the passing game. Like you said, it seems like a no-brainer to throw some screens or flares to him to try to take advantage of the way opposing teams are coming after Gabbert/Henne so hard, but so far he's been a non-factor there. MJD's been in on a bunch of third downs, too, but it seems like he's being held in to block the majority of the time (meanwhile, when Todman or Forsett are in the game, the Jags throw to them plenty - go figure).

I also think he's looked pretty good running the ball as far as his quickness and power. He's definitely not looking like prime MJD yet, but he also doesn't look over the hill either - when he's not being hit in the backfield, he's made some nice runs, but defenders are getting to him behind the line way too much. The Jags' OL is sub-par to begin with, and teams are just crowding the line of scrimmage and giving the passing game no respect.

with the Jags in an absolute shambles around him and considering this latest injury, though, I'm really starting to wonder how much longer Jones-Drew will want to put his body on the line for a pounding every week. I could see the possibility of him checking out mentally at some point, and it's honestly hard to blame him considering the trainwreck of a team he's stuck on again this year.

Don't worry Blackmon's return will coincide with his to save the day. That's if you can trust the Jags saying they expect him to return soon.

Pretty sure the Jags have been failing that for at least a decade.

I remember thinknig the same thing a season or 2 ago about theTitans and their use of Chris Johnson. The determination with which they had him pile between the tackles for no gain boggled the mind when he's the type of runner who given a few yards of space could work miracles with his jukes and speed. Any screen pass to CJ in the flat could yield a 40+ yard gain. and yet there he was crashing against his own OL as it was driven right back... Made me think of "Black Adder": "ah but you see, they'll never expect us to run this dumb play for the 12th time in a row!!

I remember thinknig the same thing a season or 2 ago about theTitans and their use of Chris Johnson. The determination with which they had him pile between the tackles for no gain boggled the mind when he's the type of runner who given a few yards of space could work miracles with his jukes and speed. Any screen pass to CJ in the flat could yield a 40+ yard gain. and yet there he was crashing against his own OL as it was driven right back... Made me think of "Black Adder": "ah but you see, they'll never expect us to run this dumb play for the 12th time in a row!!
And they're doing it again- I think he has 1 reception in 2 games.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I had CJ too. That was very hard to watch and I never could figure that out either. Much like Jacksonville is doing right now, they were getting absolutely no push upfront, yet stubbornly sticking to the same game plan and using no creativity. Granted, MJD is a little better suited for it with his power, but there is only so much any back can do if the defense is constantly playing on your side of the line of scrimmage.

Obviously his usage is leaving a lot to be desired, and there is reason to be down on him, but had it not been for one play (the one he was injured on) I think he would have still pulled out a pretty nice game. He was looking pretty good and should have scored on that play. Woodson just made a superhuman play that only a handful of guys int he league could have pulled off.

Someone in my league dropped him, and nobody has picked him up yet. I need RB, but would probably have to drop Steve Smith, Darren Sproles, Bryce Brown, David WIlson, or Duane Bowe. My RB's suck. MJD can't be that bad, although Jaxville is. Should I run to the wire? Steve Smith will probably never see my lineup.

Can things really be so bad that no one wants MJD?

I would drop Brown or Smith for him. Things may turn around if gabbert never sees the field again, plus blackmon is back week 5

Someone in my league dropped him, and nobody has picked him up yet. I need RB, but would probably have to drop Steve Smith, Darren Sproles, Bryce Brown, David WIlson, or Duane Bowe. My RB's suck. MJD can't be that bad, although Jaxville is. Should I run to the wire? Steve Smith will probably never see my lineup.

Can things really be so bad that no one wants MJD?
I'd drop Brown, Wilson or Bowe in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread