What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Jones (1 Viewer)

Let's wait and see if he makes the opening day roster before getting too excited about it.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ks-the-bengals/gotta laugh at this quote:

Matt Jones will join the Bengals, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Unlike a potential Pacman Jones signing, this looks like a smart bet for the Bengals.

Jones is not a great big play threat, but we think he's got somewhat of a bad rap as a player. He occasionally took over games in 2008 with the Jaguars and is a difficult guy to defend on third downs and the red zone.

If he is not a threat then what exactly is the red zone? Speed? Wasn't he 4.3 top speed at his Combine. The most misunderstood player in football.

For $700,000 they will keep him and start him.

Let's wait and see if he makes the opening day roster before getting too excited about it.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ks-the-bengals/gotta laugh at this quote:

Matt Jones will join the Bengals, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Unlike a potential Pacman Jones signing, this looks like a smart bet for the Bengals.

Jones is not a great big play threat, but we think he's got somewhat of a bad rap as a player. He occasionally took over games in 2008 with the Jaguars and is a difficult guy to defend on third downs and the red zone.

If he is not a threat then what exactly is the red zone? Speed? Wasn't he 4.3 top speed at his Combine. The most misunderstood player in football.

I think they meant like a DeSean Jackson or Steve Smith big play threat, like yards after catch, can score any time they touch the ball type of threat.

I think they meant like a DeSean Jackson or Steve Smith big play threat, like yards after catch, can score any time they touch the ball type of threat.
That's how I saw it too. Pretty spot on.

Maybe. I think they don't think - just make shallow generalizations.

Bengals | Expected to have interest in Stallworth

Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:42:29 -0800

Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are expected to have interest in unrestricted free-agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Browns).

Another great wr to add to their collection :blackdot:

There's a reason this guy didn't find any takers last season. Maybe he has his head screwed on right now, but I can't help thinking there's an extra screw around in there.

Bengals | Expected to have interest in StallworthFri, 12 Feb 2010 07:42:29 -0800Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are expected to have interest in unrestricted free-agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Browns). Another great wr to add to their collection :lmao:
What is wrong with the Bengals? Seriously?Is there a FA "bad character" guy that they won't go after?

Bengals | Expected to have interest in Stallworth

Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:42:29 -0800

Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are expected to have interest in unrestricted free-agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Browns).

Another great wr to add to their collection :)
What is wrong with the Bengals? Seriously?Is there a FA "bad character" guy that they won't go after?
The Titans wanted Jones too, so evidently they thought he was worth the risk, also.The dude made one mistake, and has no criminal record. He sat out last year and kept himself clean and quiet. He's hardly a 'bad character' guy. Just an idiot kid who has grown up. For the price, he's worth the shot. That's very much unlike Pacman Jones who is a ticking time bomb.

6'6, sub 4.4 40 speed, and he's been working hard and seems motivated.

Stallworth screwed up more, but the sad thing is if the other guy doesn't run out into a multi lane highway, there never would have been an issue. Stallworth certainly bears the blame for drinking, but he's not a bad character guy, either, in my opinion.

Every NFL team has people with problems. Part of it is giving 20 year olds from the hood or farm millions of dollars. Cash is nice but doesn't make these kids mature. Usually, the opposite.

I seriously doubt the time he got caught was the first and only time, therefore, it is NOT one mistake.

Also, please stop calling these types of things a "mistake".

i.e.- Vick did not kill dogs by "mistake". He made a conscious decision to kill dogs.

The Bungles would sign Osama Bin Laden if they thought he could play.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) should be entertaining with him and Ocho.

If he keeps his nose clean he could be a good WR. Worth the risk but I'd like it better if it were a team that wasn't known for having character issues, their judgment hasn't been great on a few guys.

:shrug: should be entertaining with him and Ocho. If he keeps his nose clean he could be a good WR. Worth the risk but I'd like it better if it were a team that wasn't known for having character issues, their judgment hasn't been great on a few guys.
Recent history indicates Lewis knows what he's doing. Despite the trouble Ocho gave, he fell in line pretty well this year to redeem himself in many fans eyes. Cedric Benson proved he had talent and did not have any issues with drunken boating this year. I think this is a smart move. I am more questionable about trying to rehab Pacman however, because that guy seems incorrigible. Jones got busted for drugs and then violated his parole by having a beer. Pacman's already had a new chance in Dallas and got into a fight with his own bodyguard...that's wacky.

I seriously doubt the time he got caught was the first and only time, therefore, it is NOT one mistake.

i.e.- Vick did not kill dogs by "mistake". He made a conscious decision to kill dogs.

Jones did something wrong, was caught, ended up paying the price for his actions, and has now been given a chance to revive his career and change his life for the better. Why wouldn't you root for him to keep his head on straight and be successful? Are you angry he's been given another chance?

First-doing drugs (possibly being addicted to them) and killing animals are not the same thing, so don't compare them.Second-no one is saying that Jones did drugs by mistake (i.e.- an accident). He didn't trip into a pile of coke and accidentally sniff it. Vick didn't kill any dogs "accidentally." However, the word mistake usually refers to an error in action, judgment, opinion, etc. I think Jones' and Vick's mistakes definitely count as errors in action and/or judgment.

:tumbleweed: should be entertaining with him and Ocho. If he keeps his nose clean he could be a good WR. Worth the risk but I'd like it better if it were a team that wasn't known for having character issues, their judgment hasn't been great on a few guys.
Recent history indicates Lewis knows what he's doing. Despite the trouble Ocho gave, he fell in line pretty well this year to redeem himself in many fans eyes. Cedric Benson proved he had talent and did not have any issues with drunken boating this year. I think this is a smart move. I am more questionable about trying to rehab Pacman however, because that guy seems incorrigible. Jones got busted for drugs and then violated his parole by having a beer. Pacman's already had a new chance in Dallas and got into a fight with his own bodyguard...that's wacky.
I like Lewis, he's in the 2nd tier of young coaches IMO - after Tomlin, Payton and maybe a couple others. Maybe right there with them. Still, the past 5-10 years the Bengals have had more than their fair share of character problems.

Ok, steering this thing back to fantasy football:

Dynasty leaguers, what is Matt Jones worth right now?

What would you give for him?

What would you take for him?

I'm sure plenty could answer "Nothing/kinds words" but I think he has to have some value right now.

Ok, steering this thing back to fantasy football:Dynasty leaguers, what is Matt Jones worth right now?What would you give for him?What would you take for him?I'm sure plenty could answer "Nothing/kinds words" but I think he has to have some value right now.
I also picked him up off the ww in one of my dynasty leagues so I'm obviously expecting something from him, that said it would be a terrible time to trade him away. His value right now is near nil because despite some ppl's expectations he's a wr who has never had a 1,000 yard season in his career and hasn't played in a year. On top of that there's no guarantee he'll even make their roster especially if they get other wrs like TO or stallworth. There's no harm in trying to see what you can get for him from the other owners in your league but chances are you're gonna be better off keeping him and then just hope he can become cincy's #2 wr

Ok, steering this thing back to fantasy football:Dynasty leaguers, what is Matt Jones worth right now?What would you give for him?What would you take for him?I'm sure plenty could answer "Nothing/kinds words" but I think he has to have some value right now.
Right now Matt Jones is not worth much if anything. I'm my Dynasty League he's a free agent so he could be picked up off of waivers once they open up. So right now I would give nothing for him. If I had him right now, I'd take whatever lowly draft pick I could get. He may have some value right now, but its not much. He has value in that he's currently on an NFL roster, as opposed to a player not currently on an NFL roster. His value obviously increases the longer he remains on the roster through the draft, OTA's, and training camp.

Right now Matt Jones is not worth much if anything. I'm my Dynasty League he's a free agent so he could be picked up off of waivers once they open up. So right now I would give nothing for him. If I had him right now, I'd take whatever lowly draft pick I could get. He may have some value right now, but its not much. He has value in that he's currently on an NFL roster, as opposed to a player not currently on an NFL roster. His value obviously increases the longer he remains on the roster through the draft, OTA's, and training camp.
I've held onto him in a large dynasty league and wouldn't take less than a 2nd or maybe package for an upgrade, even IDP.

:X Unlike you, they actually watch tape. Matt Jones no longer runs a 4.37, and he's not a great big-play threat. If you watched him play in 2008 (his best season) he spent much of the year running slants, using his big body to shield defenders for gains of 6-10 yards.

They didn't make a shallow generalization. You did.

While he could surprise, no way he cracks the top 20 in WR's. More likely to be in the 30-40 range. While Carson Palmer is a good QB, he ranked 11th in YPG. Matt Jones will be the #2 receiver, presumably, in an offense which was bottom 10 last year.

Dynasty leaguers, what is Matt Jones worth right now? WW fodder

What would you give for him? Nothing

What would you take for him? Anything that frees up a roster spot

I'm sure plenty could answer "Nothing/kinds words" but I think he has to have some value right now.

The truth is we don't know at this point what he's going to be worth. He could catch a lot of balls in the Housh role and as he was doing in JAX in 2008, or he could be a washout. Word is he's been working very hard on conditioning, so he hasn't been sitting around getting fat like some guys do with a year off (Mike Williams). We can't know in February how Jones will do, but we can make some educated guesses. What we do know is he has some skills and he has had some character/self-discipline issues. He'll be 27, certainly in his prime age-wise.Initially, I think it's likely he sticks, and starts, while Coles is let go and Caldwell takes a lesser role. The starting RB and TE positions don't catch many passes in Cincy, so that is a plus for WR2. Cincy is throwing less in general than in the Housh days though, so that's a minus. Also, they could sign or draft a prominent TE, or Coffman could emerge and take a lot of those balls.

And there's the concern about Palmer's elbow and whether it's really OK. As the receiver of short passes (if he starts), Jones could be a beneficiary of Palmer's seemingly limited capacity to go downfield.

I wouldn't discount Jones the way you are JohnnyU, not in February. I think that would be a mistake.

The truth is we don't know at this point what he's going to be worth. He could catch a lot of balls in the Housh role and as he was doing in JAX in 2008, or he could be a washout. Word is he's been working very hard on conditioning, so he hasn't been sitting around getting fat like some guys do with a year off (Mike Williams). We can't know in February how Jones will do, but we can make some educated guesses. What we do know is he has some skills and he has had some character/self-discipline issues. He'll be 27, certainly in his prime age-wise.Initially, I think it's likely he sticks, and starts, while Coles is let go and Caldwell takes a lesser role. The starting RB and TE positions don't catch many passes in Cincy, so that is a plus for WR2. Cincy is throwing less in general than in the Housh days though, so that's a minus. Also, they could sign or draft a prominent TE, or Coffman could emerge and take a lot of those balls.

And there's the concern about Palmer's elbow and whether it's really OK. As the receiver of short passes (if he starts), Jones could be a beneficiary of Palmer's seemingly limited capacity to go downfield.

I wouldn't discount Jones the way you are JohnnyU, not in February. I think that would be a mistake.
My answer was more sarcasm than anything else. I just don't think he will be worth much.....I really believe that. That's even if he gets his life together, which I expect him to slip up again. He hasn't proven anything else to me.

Fear & Loathing said:
texasbirdfan said:
Dragon1952 said:
texasbirdfan said:
TommyGilmore said:

:kicksrock: Unlike you, they actually watch tape. Matt Jones no longer runs a 4.37, and he's not a great big-play threat. If you watched him play in 2008 (his best season) he spent much of the year running slants, using his big body to shield defenders for gains of 6-10 yards.

They didn't make a shallow generalization. You did.
Actually I have watched tape and you my friend have a years worth of posts to catch up on. He kept in shape with trainers in the off season and ran speeds like the old days. I watched a lot of his games and he was starting to emerge like Vincent Jackson did. Jones had a little catching up to do but as an athlete and a former starting SEC QB- he was a player). I can remember on this board all the negatives on Jackson when he was younger. It was rumored by many posters this past year that he was perhaps black listed by Del Rio and I felt my thread title was kind of a reference to those 2009 season threads. The slants he ran were Del Rio's punishment for Jones as they were oil and water like personalities and frankly many felt Del Rio handled him badly (Get in line with all of Del Rios' bad managements). He has breakaway speed and his previous inept qbs couldn't connect with much anyway. Jones would be better used in the mid pattern and deep stuff along with end zone targets.

Without judging his off field stuff I still do not like Matt Jones, he is a lazy player. I have (unfortunately) watched many Jags games and he is just lazy, he does not hustle on and off the field or back to the huddle, he looks like he is going half speed in routes at times, maybe he was high or just thought he was the man and didn't have to try and now has learned his lesson. I think its great he is getting another shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him being great or even good unless he is a new man, so to speak.

Without judging his off field stuff I still do not like Matt Jones, he is a lazy player. I have (unfortunately) watched many Jags games and he is just lazy, he does not hustle on and off the field or back to the huddle, he looks like he is going half speed in routes at times, maybe he was high or just thought he was the man and didn't have to try and now has learned his lesson. I think its great he is getting another shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him being great or even good unless he is a new man, so to speak.
Benson wasn't exactly noted for his work ethic either before he came to the Bengals. Getting frozen out for a year possibly has had a profound effect on Jones.-QG

Fear & Loathing said:
:popcorn: Unlike you, they actually watch tape. Matt Jones no longer runs a 4.37, and he's not a great big-play threat. If you watched him play in 2008 (his best season) he spent much of the year running slants, using his big body to shield defenders for gains of 6-10 yards. They didn't make a shallow generalization. You did.
Was that the player or the offense, however? He was doing what he was coached to do. Now, he's had some additional coaching and training over the last year, and I'd bet his WR training will be even better with Cinci.I'd bet the guy still runs a sub 4.4 40 so he retains the speed necessary to stretch the field. He's faster than Chris Henry and Chad.There's no doubt the guy doesn't get up to speed as quick as a Jackson, but on a post pattern he still will be able to be a really rough matchup for defenders, a la Vjack.

Benson wasn't exactly noted for his work ethic either before he came to the Bengals. Getting frozen out for a year possibly has had a profound effect on Jones.-QG
TouchéIf I were a Bengals fan I would be hoping we could get lucky again as well, Matt came out with a lot of promise and I am sure the team and that terrible offense didn't do much to help him. I have nothing against the guy so hopefully for you Bengal fans he works out. Did he have any type of suspension or since he got cut was that dropped? Will he face any type of disciplinary action from the league next season?

Haven't seen anything that says Jones faces anything further. His last suspension was for the last 3 games of the '08 season. Looks like he can go from day 1.

-QG

Haven't seen anything that says Jones faces anything further. His last suspension was for the last 3 games of the '08 season. Looks like he can go from day 1.-QG
Matt has a clean slate as far as the NFL is concerned. He will not face any suspension for past actions when(if) he returns to the League.

I've picked him off the waiver wire in two leagues so far this offseason, both with large enough roster space to stash and hold. I think that's the most that can reasonably be predicted at this time b/c we really don't have any way of knowing how he's going to handle his second chance on the field. He was reasonably productive a couple of seasons ago when I rode his hot streak as a WR3 to a couple of weekly victories and a playoff berth.

In reality, still unknown what's going to happen. Just a stash and hold for now...

I'm not expecting much from him with a year away from the league. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the roster out of camp.

Palmer looked dreadful most of the year anyway so you have to question will any Bengal WR outside Ocho will be worth owning next season. Surely none were this past season. Coles may be close to the end [likely a goner], but I don't think Carson's in the top 20 QB's in the league right now irregardless of what the Bengals have at WR.

osubuckeyeman said:
FUBAR said:
:excited: should be entertaining with him and Ocho.

If he keeps his nose clean he could be a good WR. Worth the risk but I'd like it better if it were a team that wasn't known for having character issues, their judgment hasn't been great on a few guys.
My guess is they struck gold with Benson and feel they can do it again. I was hoping to see them draft Golden Tate with their # 1 pick, but now I guess they will go another direction.
you really think Jones will make an impact on their draft list?

Couch Potato said:
JohnnyU said:
destro said:

I lean more toward this. Kid can play. And I'm not beyond thinking a guy can change. Chris Henry and Cedric Benson did. Plus, it's not like he's got to change to a choir boy. We're not asking him to become Man of the Year. He just has to stay out of jail. I'd roll the dice that he can do that. Don't discount the WR learning curve (even for a college QB) that he has already under his belt when comparing him to true rookies. I'm not sure where I'd rate him, but I would definitely not discount him too much.J

I believe that Matt Jones has been an inigma in the NFL because of two things:

1) Poor choices - drug incident and probation violation

2) Mis-fit with Del Rio

The first one has been discussed ad naseum and I will not go there again. Perhaps he has overcome that issue and is ready to move on. It has been posted here by Wadsworth that appeared to have first hand knowledge that Matt worked hard last off-season and was in excellent shape, but was unable to catch on anywhere.

Matt Jones is about the most laid back athlete that I have ever watched at Arkansas. Even while he was the starting QB, he appeared disinterested while on the sidelines. I recall the seven overtime game against Ole Miss (he may have been a freshman) when he would go to the bench every time that Ole Miss had the ball in OT. Then back in and leading Arkansas to another score, then more disinterest.

Even while playing, his speed would kill DBs and then they would spout off that he didn't look that fast and he wasn't going to turn the corner on them this week and then come game time, he would head for the corner (not even looking like working at it) and then turn the corner on the DB and another long run for a score. I think that appearance just did not fit with Del Rio. It may not fit in Cincinnatti either, but he has skills and he is field smart as well as athletic.

One post up a ways stated that he was more likely a top 40 WR than a candidate for top twenty, well I would take top 40 from so called waiver wire fodder in a heart beat. I am rooting for him as well as owning him and I'll be following this story in the off-season.

Opportunity is always a big part of upside. People love to focus only on talent, but it's because there's room for a breakout that a breakout occurs. In Jones' case, we have a real opportunity if he performs.

Ocho will be 32 1/2 to start the 2010 season, and while not yet finished, he should be getting to that risky downside before long, sometime the next couple years, where he can't separate like he used to. In 2011 Ocho will be 33 1/2, and by then we may be talking about him as a WR clearly on the decline. Coles for whatever reason just hasn't been a factor and I've read a few news sources suggest he will be let go. Caldwell is simply not a special talent. Simpson to this point has been unable to figure anything out, and he was even behind Quan Cosby on the DC last year. Hard to see him suddenly becoming a go to guy. Henry of course is no longer with us. And there is no other WR on the roster waiting in the wings. Even if they draft someone high it usually takes time for them to develop, and sometimes they never do (Simpson was a 2nd rounder).

To me, this screams opportunity for Jones. Of course it hinges on whether he can get the job done and whether he can keep his nose clean, but approaching the 2011 season we could be talking about a 28 year old WR1 expected to grab 80+ balls and a good share of TDs. When I've hit on guys like M Walker and J Finley and others, it's been because it was so clear to me that they were on the cusp of opportunity and they already had the required talent to shine. I see Jones as an excellent candidate for a good year in 2010 and a better year in 2011 IF the character concerns don't again arise and if he puts forth the effort.

gotta laugh at this quote:

Most overrated WR in fantasy football. Seriously if this guy had great skills he would have been signed before now.BTW - rezone threat not equal big play threat.

Opportunity is always a big part of upside. People love to focus only on talent, but it's because there's room for a breakout that a breakout occurs. In Jones' case, we have a real opportunity if he performs. Ocho will be 32 1/2 to start the 2010 season, and while not yet finished, he should be getting to that risky downside before long, sometime the next couple years, where he can't separate like he used to. In 2011 Ocho will be 33 1/2, and by then we may be talking about him as a WR clearly on the decline. Coles for whatever reason just hasn't been a factor and I've read a few news sources suggest he will be let go. Caldwell is simply not a special talent. Simpson to this point has been unable to figure anything out, and he was even behind Quan Cosby on the DC last year. Hard to see him suddenly becoming a go to guy. Henry of course is no longer with us. And there is no other WR on the roster waiting in the wings. Even if they draft someone high it usually takes time for them to develop, and sometimes they never do (Simpson was a 2nd rounder).To me, this screams opportunity for Jones. Of course it hinges on whether he can get the job done and whether he can keep his nose clean, but approaching the 2011 season we could be talking about a 28 year old WR1 expected to grab 80+ balls and a good share of TDs. When I've hit on guys like M Walker and J Finley and others, it's been because it was so clear to me that they were on the cusp of opportunity and they already had the required talent to shine. I see Jones as an excellent candidate for a good year in 2010 and a better year in 2011 IF the character concerns don't again arise and if he puts forth the effort.
Good post.However, Jones is really only a part of this equation. If Palmer were to rebound to his form from a few years ago, and if the offensive philosophy/playcalling followed suit, there could be real value. But the fact is that Palmer has regressed severely. Consider:Compare 2004-2007 Palmer to 2008-2009 Palmer:Passing attempts dropped from 33.4 per game (2004-2007) to 29.8 (2008-2009)Completion percentage dropped from 64.1% to 59.5%Yards per attempt dropped from 7.3 to 6.4Yards per game dropped from 244 to 191TD percentage dropped from 5.1% to 4.0%Sack percentage increased from 4.5% to 5.9%Suppose Palmer again throws for 3094 yards and 21 TDs, as he did in 16 games in 2009. With Ocho as the WR1, what is the upside for Jones in 2010? Last year the WR2 was Coles (43/514/5), who finished as WR55 (FBG scoring). Doesn't it seem as if Palmer is going to have to be significantly better for Jones to make an impact?And even if the goal is to wait out Ocho's decline, meaning you can accept keeping Jones on your bench in 2010, that's a long time to sit on him to wait for what has to be termed as longshot potential. Unless you have deep dynasty rosters, it's hard to sit on a veteran WR that long waiting for value to emerge. Usually, those non-productive bench spots are reserved for younger players who are more likely to have real breakout potential.

Opportunity is always a big part of upside. People love to focus only on talent, but it's because there's room for a breakout that a breakout occurs. In Jones' case, we have a real opportunity if he performs.

Ocho will be 32 1/2 to start the 2010 season, and while not yet finished, he should be getting to that risky downside before long, sometime the next couple years, where he can't separate like he used to. In 2011 Ocho will be 33 1/2, and by then we may be talking about him as a WR clearly on the decline. Coles for whatever reason just hasn't been a factor and I've read a few news sources suggest he will be let go. Caldwell is simply not a special talent. Simpson to this point has been unable to figure anything out, and he was even behind Quan Cosby on the DC last year. Hard to see him suddenly becoming a go to guy. Henry of course is no longer with us. And there is no other WR on the roster waiting in the wings. Even if they draft someone high it usually takes time for them to develop, and sometimes they never do (Simpson was a 2nd rounder).

To me, this screams opportunity for Jones. Of course it hinges on whether he can get the job done and whether he can keep his nose clean, but approaching the 2011 season we could be talking about a 28 year old WR1 expected to grab 80+ balls and a good share of TDs. When I've hit on guys like M Walker and J Finley and others, it's been because it was so clear to me that they were on the cusp of opportunity and they already had the required talent to shine. I see Jones as an excellent candidate for a good year in 2010 and a better year in 2011 IF the character concerns don't again arise and if he puts forth the effort.
Good post.However, Jones is really only a part of this equation. If Palmer were to rebound to his form from a few years ago, and if the offensive philosophy/playcalling followed suit, there could be real value. But the fact is that Palmer has regressed severely. Consider:

Compare 2004-2007 Palmer to 2008-2009 Palmer:

Passing attempts dropped from 33.4 per game (2004-2007) to 29.8 (2008-2009)

Completion percentage dropped from 64.1% to 59.5%

Yards per attempt dropped from 7.3 to 6.4

Yards per game dropped from 244 to 191

TD percentage dropped from 5.1% to 4.0%

Sack percentage increased from 4.5% to 5.9%

Suppose Palmer again throws for 3094 yards and 21 TDs, as he did in 16 games in 2009. With Ocho as the WR1, what is the upside for Jones in 2010? Last year the WR2 was Coles (43/514/5), who finished as WR55 (FBG scoring). Doesn't it seem as if Palmer is going to have to be significantly better for Jones to make an impact?

And even if the goal is to wait out Ocho's decline, meaning you can accept keeping Jones on your bench in 2010, that's a long time to sit on him to wait for what has to be termed as longshot potential. Unless you have deep dynasty rosters, it's hard to sit on a veteran WR that long waiting for value to emerge. Usually, those non-productive bench spots are reserved for younger players who are more likely to have real breakout potential.
Curiously, if you remove the short stint in the week 17 match-up with the Jets, Palmer would have averaged 30.3 attempts per game, only one attempt per game less. Similaly, since he only completed one of those 11 attempts, his completion percentage would be up to 60.7%, still a decline, but only 2.4%. Could be more reasonably tied to loss of TJH than a substantial change for Palmer.

Good post.However, Jones is really only a part of this equation. If Palmer were to rebound to his form from a few years ago, and if the offensive philosophy/playcalling followed suit, there could be real value. But the fact is that Palmer has regressed severely. Consider:

Suppose Palmer again throws for 3094 yards and 21 TDs, as he did in 16 games in 2009. With Ocho as the WR1, what is the upside for Jones in 2010? Last year the WR2 was Coles (43/514/5), who finished as WR55 (FBG scoring). Doesn't it seem as if Palmer is going to have to be significantly better for Jones to make an impact?

And even if the goal is to wait out Ocho's decline, meaning you can accept keeping Jones on your bench in 2010, that's a long time to sit on him to wait for what has to be termed as longshot potential. Unless you have deep dynasty rosters, it's hard to sit on a veteran WR that long waiting for value to emerge. Usually, those non-productive bench spots are reserved for younger players who are more likely to have real breakout potential.
Curiously, if you remove the short stint in the week 17 match-up with the Jets, Palmer would have averaged 30.3 attempts per game, only one attempt per game less. Similaly, since he only completed one of those 11 attempts, his completion percentage would be up to 60.7%, still a decline, but only 2.4%. Could be more reasonably tied to loss of TJH than a substantial change for Palmer.
I didn't think of how that 1/11 performance might skew things, but then again that is only 11 attempts out of 595 in 2008-2009. It doesn't make sense to me to not count those attempts for things like completion percentage, ypa, TD percentage, and/or sack percentage... I'm sure he was trying to complete the passes, after all. However, it does skew his per game numbers somewhat.Eliminating that game raises his 2008-2009 attempts to 30.7 per game, about 2.7 per game fewer than he averaged in 2004-2007... which scales to 43 fewer passing attempts over 16 games. His yards per game bumps to 201 in 2008-2009... still considerably short of the 244 he averaged from 2004-2007... that's 688 fewer yards over 16 games.

Palmer played well into the third quarter of that game.

Users who are viewing this thread