What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Gaetz Under Investigation for Sex Trafficking (1 Viewer)

zoonation said:
Eloping to argue spousal immunity? The walls must be closing in.  
Can’t say with certainty as another jurisdiction’s laws and rules would apply,  but it’s very likely he couldn’t claim spousal privilege because they weren’t married at the time of any previously made statements and privilege may not apply if the new wife was the alleged victim (or, I think, there are some crimes it may not apply to). 

Of course, he may not be learned enough to realize that and married her anyway thinking the opposite. 

8 months since Joel Greenberg’s guilty plea, the Gaetz investigation shows signs of life.

CNN Article

Gaetz's ex-girlfriend enters Florida courthouse where grand jury investigating the congressman meets.

“An ex-girlfriend of Rep. Matt Gaetz, who is seen as a key witness in the ongoing investigation into alleged sex trafficking by the Florida Republican, entered an Orlando federal courthouse with her lawyer on Wednesday where a grand jury has been meeting.”

8 months since Joel Greenberg’s guilty plea, the Gaetz investigation shows signs of life.

CNN Article

Gaetz's ex-girlfriend enters Florida courthouse where grand jury investigating the congressman meets.

“An ex-girlfriend of Rep. Matt Gaetz, who is seen as a key witness in the ongoing investigation into alleged sex trafficking by the Florida Republican, entered an Orlando federal courthouse with her lawyer on Wednesday where a grand jury has been meeting.”

Girlfriend's name is undisclosed. Could it be----

Stormy Daniels?

Representative Matt Gaetz's ex-girlfriend granted immunity in sex trafficking probe

“Prosecutors granted immunity to an ex-girlfriend of Representative Matt Gaetz before she testified last weekin front of a federal grand jury hearing evidence in the investigation of the congressman, according to a source familiar with the matter.”
"The government does not give immunity blindly, they know what they're getting in exchange." - CBS News legal analyst Rikki Kleiman

Why not cut this guy loose? He seems like dead weight. Has he done anything in Congress?
He can be cut loose when Trump approves it. He’s the guy willing to do whatever stunt is asked of him. And there’s always the possibility he has dirt on others. He seems like the kind of guy who will bring everyone else down with him.

Ruffrodys05 said:
I think federal grand juries take a little time to set up. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure though. 
From personal experience, I can say they do not take a while to set up.  They are always in session.  However, they may be overbooked and there may multiple prosecutors all trying to schedule time with the same grand jury.  I'm not sure how that competition for time is resolved (first come, first served?).

It’s interesting, almost every thread in the PSF is full of posts from the right wingers of the board.  None in here though.  Odd.  

Last edited by a moderator:
 Maybe the prosecutors here are doing the Distinguished Mr. Gaetz the professional courtesy of letting him run out his term so he can use his perfect intellect  and moral compass to better guide our great nation.  

“Big Joe” Ellicott, a former Florida shock jock with potentially key information about the sex trafficking ring involving Rep. Matt Gaetz, has pleaded guilty in federal court, The Daily Beast has learned.

Ellicott is the long-time best friend of corrupt Florida tax official Joel Greenberg, who was Gaetz’s wingman in the underage sex operation, according to several sources with direct knowledge of their relationship. Last year, The Daily Beast revealed that Ellicott knew intimate details about the teenage girl who was paid for sex by the group—and actually texted what essentially amounted to a confession that they were scrambling to try and coverup details about their sex with a 17-year-old from the feds.

Ellicott was particularly legally exposed through his involvement with Greenberg, who ran the small Central Florida tax agency like a fiefdom where he hired his friends for no-show jobs. That appears to be what took Ellicott down.

In court documents last week, Ellicott was accused of fraud for agreeing to “pay bribes and kickbacks” to a public official and a separate drug crime: illegally selling the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder prescription medicine Adderall. On Jan. 18, Ellicott signed a plea agreement admitting to both crimes.

According to prosecutors, Ellicott was the intermediary in the kickback arrangement, carrying a $6,000 cash bribe from an unnamed tax office contractor to a Public Official—Greenberg. In exchange for the bribe, Greenberg and the contractor worked out a deal where the contractor inflated invoices for work with the tax office, pocketing the difference.

Ellicott also copped to selling a single unnamed client more than $5,000 worth of Adderall over the course of two years. The client made the payments to Ellicott’s company, “Uncle Joe’s Coins,” and transferred money via check and Venmo, according to the agreement. One $95 Venmo payment was disguised as “2 hour full body massage.”

Joe Zwick, an attorney for Ellicott, told The Daily Beast that his client has been cooperating in the sex trafficking case against Gaetz. That case is being handled by Justice Department prosecutors in Washington, D.C., and is separate from the local ongoing investigation into Greenberg and the tax office, which gave rise to the charges in Ellicott’s case.

“This investigation had nothing to do with the sex scandal, but with the unprecedented things Greenberg was doing with the tax office. The big difference is that Joel Greenberg was elected to serve the people, and Joe was not. And the fact that this was done by criminal information not an indictment is pretty telling of how the prosecutors view him in this case,” Zwick said, pointing out that Ellicott was not arrested. “Obviously they value his continued cooperation, as he does as well. We are going to set off sentencing as long as we can, and do everything we can to reduce his time.”

Zwick said a plea hearing had been set for February.

Ellicott’s plea agreement requires him to cooperate with the government in other prosecutions, including possibly testimony before the grand jury and in court. In exchange, Ellicott will not be formally charged by the grand jury, and has a shot at significantly reducing his sentence. He will also enjoy immunity from “any other federal offenses known to the U.S. Attorney’s Office” relating to the two crimes.

That immunity could be sweeping.

The congressman’s office and the outside public relations firm he hired did not immediately reply to a request for comment. However, Gaetz has repeatedly denied engaging in any sex crime—and dismissed this federal investigation as a political prosecution.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Florida, which is working on the Ellicott case and other potential crimes related to Greenberg’s conduct in the tax office, declined to comment about his role as a potential witness in the sex crimes investigation on Wednesday morning.

Although a federal grand jury is underway in Orlando—hearing testimony from witnesses, including Gaetz’s ex-girlfriend—the case is being run by two seasoned prosecutors from the Justice Department’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. One is Todd Gee, the deputy chief of the DOJ’s public integrity section. The other is Lauren Britsch, who investigated sex crimes but has since moved over to the team that investigates corruption by government officials.

Ellicott allegedly delivered the cash bribe to Greenberg in late Sept. 2017—weeks after Greenberg learned the true age of the teen at the center of the sex trafficking investigation.

According to the plea agreement Greenberg inked last May, minutes after he discovered the girl was underage, Greenberg phoned Gaetz to warn him, placing that call at a specific time on a specific day. Asked about the call, Ellicott’s attorney pointed out that it was made in the tax office—where Ellicott worked—and said that his client “might have some information about that.”

Gaetz's mounting problems are a bad look for his party but maybe even scarier is that there seems to be no effort being made to get him out. The two parties are definitely held to different standards by the media and public.

Gaetz's mounting problems are a bad look for his party but maybe even scarier is that there seems to be no effort being made to get him out. The two parties are definitely held to different standards by the media and public.
I honestly think that "Witch Hunt!!1!1!" is seen as a positive for a fairly significant portion of the GOP base.

From personal experience, I can say they do not take a while to set up.  They are always in session.  However, they may be overbooked and there may multiple prosecutors all trying to schedule time with the same grand jury.  I'm not sure how that competition for time is resolved (first come, first served?).
The way I understand it, they take it as far as they need to have an ironclad case, then offer you a deal. 99% of the time you should take it, because if you don't it will piss them off and go for the max.

The way I understand it, they take it as far as they need to have an ironclad case, then offer you a deal. 99% of the time you should take it, because if you don't it will piss them off and go for the max.

I knew an attorney who handled criminal cases and said it depended upon the judge, before some the defendant would get the same sentence if they went to trial or not - but with other judges they would get the max sentence for what they considered wasting their time. 

Not sure I understand the relation to what I posted, which is purely about federal grand juries not needing to be convened.  Federal grand juries are in session year round and meet on a regular schedule.  Federal prosecutors simply schedule time on the schedule for an existing grand jury session.

roadkill1292 said:
Remember Gaetz approached the White House about getting a pardon and got shot down by White House attorneys...his request didn't even make it to Trump.   I think he's toxic right now and everyone is just waiting to see if he ends up going to jail.  Nobody in the GOP except the fringes (Boebert, Greene, Jordan) will have anything to do with him.  They aren't trying to get rid of him but nobody's coming to his defense, either.

Remember Gaetz approached the White House about getting a pardon and got shot down by White House attorneys...his request didn't even make it to Trump.   I think he's toxic right now and everyone is just waiting to see if he ends up going to jail.  Nobody in the GOP except the fringes (Boebert, Greene, Jordan) will have anything to do with him.  They aren't trying to get rid of him but nobody's coming to his defense, either.
Maybe Biden will pardon him.

It’s interesting, almost every thread in the PSF is full of posts from the right wingers of the board.  None in here though.  Odd.  
I, and many others, wrote in here in the early parts of this thread.  Basically, if he's guilty, charge him and let the legal system have its way with him.

Not sure what more there is to say.  

I, and many others, wrote in here in the early parts of this thread.  Basically, if he's guilty, charge him and let the legal system have its way with him.

Not sure what more there is to say.  
Maybe, just hear me out now, maybe the party leaders should ask for his resignation immediately? 

Ah, but that didn't & won't happen because they think he might be somewhat useful. Example: they tried to get him appointed as a member of the J6 Committee so he could run point for DJT. 

eta: I might be confusing him for Jordan in the above paragraph, apologies if so.

Once that didn't work they should have cut him loose. They won't until absolutely necessary. 

Maybe, just hear me out now, maybe the party leaders should ask for his resignation immediately? 
Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole credible accusation thing.  He's innocent until proven guilty.  (same for the blue team).

Either he's found guilty, not guilty, the voters vote him out, etc.

Ah, but that didn't & won't happen because they think he might be somewhat useful. Example: they tried to get him appointed as a member of the J6 Committee so he could run point for DJT. 

eta: I might be confusing him for Jordan in the above paragraph, apologies if so.

Once that didn't work they should have cut him loose. They won't until absolutely necessary. 

Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole credible accusation thing.  He's innocent until proven guilty.  (same for the blue team).

Either he's found guilty, not guilty, the voters vote him out, etc.
Ruffrodys05 isn't talking about legal standard.  He's talking about congressional standard.  If he's proven guilty in a court of law of all his transgressions, that has nothing to do with his ability to hold office.  There isn't a federal rule that I am aware of that says they can't hold office while in jail...maybe there are state rules?  Not sure.

Ruffrodys05 isn't talking about legal standard.  He's talking about congressional standard.  If he's proven guilty in a court of law of all his transgressions, that has nothing to do with his ability to hold office.  There isn't a federal rule that I am aware of that says they can't hold office while in jail...maybe there are state rules?  Not sure.
I thought a conviction disqualified one from office.

I mean, how quickly Al Franken was ushered out ...

I mean, how quickly Al Franken was ushered out ...
This is who I was thinking of when I suggested the GOP ask for Gaetz' resignation. Cripes, Democrats asked Franken to resign over a stupid picture. Why? Bad optics. So, he did. I'm not condoning Franken's behavior, I just didn't think he needed to resign. He did and he apologized for his stupid actions. The GOP is supposedly about family values but when push come to shove they never really step up and display those values. Like owning ones mistakes or bad choices and accepting the consequences or punishments. Gaetz should resign and be ushered back to Florida immediately. It won't happen though.

I don't think a state law (including a state constitution) can prevent someone from holding a federal office.
What difference does it really make? The GOP should be showing him the door and kicking his rear end through it. We should be asking them why they haven't yet. On second thought, no, why bother. We already know the answer.

What difference does it really make? The GOP should be showing him the door and kicking his rear end through it. We should be asking them why they haven't yet. On second thought, no, why bother. We already know the answer.
With that leg you have to stand on after Ralph Northam among others right?  :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread