What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Oh boy I submitted my list backwards ...stupid me

I did the same thing last draft. No biggie.
Yeah, whatever. I mean my playlist is broken into album groupings not even ranked so it won't matter actually. The only impact is just today where we have a Christmas song in October. That would likely have landed better in December lol.
It fills the gap between Christmas and Christmas in April nicely.

R.O.C.K. in The U.S.A. (A Solute to 60s Rock) John Mellencamp
from Scarecrow Album

The third single off John's best album "Scarecrow". The single "R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A. (A salute to 60's Rock)" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart. It was kept out of #1 by... get this...Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus". Man the 80s were a weird time.

The song, like the title says, is a salute to the music of the 60's. All the artists/bands that influenced John growing up. It's a simple enough song, but its very catchy with and drummer Kenny Aronoff (Rolling Stones' 66th of top 100 drummers ever) lays down an excellent beat. Although, admittedly not one of my favorites, it deserves to be on the list and is a great and familiar song to kick things off.

No. 31 -- I Wanna Be Your Lover

So, I like this a lot more than my 31st favorite Prince song. I'd say the first half of the countdown is in kind of an order that I feel like talking about them more than any objective rating. I just think that this relatively early single (off Prince's eponymously titled second album) represents a great example of what a great early Prince single sounded like. And to me, those songs are dominated by Prince's understated funk guitar riffs and their interplay with the synthesizer parts from Matt "Dr." Fink. It's particularly evident in the extended outro to this song. There are songs that I feel Prince hurts with some of those long outros, but I like this one a lot.

Anyway, it's also pretty typically horny with regard to lyrics. Prince starts out trying to be coy. "I wanna be the only one that makes you come ... RUNNING!" But he doesn't try to maintain even the thinnest veneer of double entendre any longer. "I wanna turn you on, turn you out, all night long make you shout, 'Ah! Lover!' I wanna be the only one you come for."
Great kickstart to the playlist.

Ben Folds
31 - Emaline

So, originally a song from Fold's first band Majosha. Below is the original off their first album "Shut up and listen to Majosha".

It was written by Folds and Evan Olson and is way different than the version Ben Folds Five recorded. Almost ska like.

Most Folds fans prefer the live version off of "Ben Folds Live".

I like both versions, hope you do too.

Last edited:
31. Absolute Beginners
Album: Non-album single (1981)
Released as a single? Yes (UK #4)
All songs written and sung by Paul Weller unless otherwise noted.

This song turned out to be a very appropriate intro for this exercise, as its title has to do with beginnings, it was the first song the band released that presented a more overt soul/R&B influence, and it was the first song by The Jam that I ever heard.
By 1981, The Jam's sound had evolved quite a bit from its earliest releases in 1977, but they never made a leap as stark as they did from their first single of 1981, a post-punk rager, to this, their second single of 1981, a bouncy, horn-filled jaunt that draws from Motown, Northern Soul and second-wave ska. It was named after a Colin MacInnes novel, one of Paul Weller's favorite books, and its core message is in one of its last lines: "You need the strength to go and get what you want." It's not one of their most essential songs, but it's enjoyable on every listen.
Being American, I never heard of The Jam until my family got cable, and thus MTV, in mid-1982, and the video for this song was my first exposure to them. It definitely got my attention, and I have been following Paul Weller's career for more than 40 years since then.

Music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9glU6WzsdM
Live version from a BBC studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8kqR9Jwf7M
Live version from the Fire and Skill live album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGQ_-hvRGk
Early demo, called "Skirt" at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRBKKQRmiY

At #30, we have one of several songs that was written for a concept album that never materialized.

Beastie Boys #31 - Fight for Your Right
Album - Licensed to Ill (1986)

Peacockin'
(how many times they represent - not great here)
Ad-Rock: 0, MCA: 0, Mike D: 0, Beastie Boys: 1, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
(What names they drop - also not a lot here)
Your mom, your pops

Rhyme Squawkin'
(a noteable line from the song - meh here)
Your mom busted in and said, what's that noise?
Aw mom you're just jealous it's the Beastie Boys!

Yo Mama Talkin'
I wasn’t going to include this on my list since I’m pretty much over the whole Frat Rap/Rock from a lot of their License to Ill album, but it was a big reason the band blew up in the mainstream and why I started listening to them. My friends and I even sang/rapped/screamed this song at one of those fake recording studios at the mini-golf / go cart / batting cages place back in the day.

What was originally meant as a song making fun of party rock songs ironically became an anthem for all the bros, broheims, and bromeisters of the world (hi @SWC ).

The popularity of the song was also helped by its iconic music video (linked below). They had hardly any money for the video, so the whipped cream they got for the pie fight at the end was raided from supermarket dumpsters. The cream was so nasty and spoiled some of the people in the video got sick.

Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyIt's Goin' Down

This song is actually an X-Ecutioners song featuring Mike Shinoda and Joe Hahn, not all of Linkin Park. I wanted to start the Shinoda playlist with a great fusion of hip hop and rock... Wikipedia says the genres of this song are nu-metal and rap rock.

In the US, this song reached #85 on the Billboard Hot 100, #13 on the Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart, and #29 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.

Rob Swift of the X-Ecutioners said this about how the collaboration came together:

In a July 2, 2004 interview with The Times-Picayune, Rob Swift explained how the collaboration came about: "During the recording of "Built From Scratch," a Loud executive brought a copy of Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" to the studio, hoping to spark a collaboration. We stopped the session and sat there and played songs from the album and pretty much fell in love with everything we heard. We knew that we wanted to work with them. That same night, I called (Linkin Park vocalist/rapper) Mike Shinoda. The first thing he said was, 'Wow, the legend Rob Swift on the phone.' It let me know that he was a fan of us. Once I got on the phone with him, I knew that (the collaboration) was going to take place."

Joe Hahn said this about working with the X-Ecutioners:

"They are pioneers of deejaying. As turntabling developed, they were one of the original crews to come up [from the underground]. It's a great honor to work with them because I respect them so much."

In true hip hop fashion, the song samples several other songs:
  • Crawling - Linkin Park
  • Dedicated - Linkin Park
  • Step Up - Linkin Park
  • Year 2000 - Xzibit
  • Funky President - James Brown
  • Put It On - Big L (feat. Kid Capri)
Here is a sample of the lyrics:

[Verse 1]
It's goin' down, the rhythm projects 'round the next sound
Reflects the complex hybrid dialect, now
Detect the mesh of many elements compressed down
The melting pot of a super future-esque style

The combination of a vocal caress
With lungs that gasp for breath from emotional stress
With special effects and a distorted collage
Carefully lodged between beats of rhythmic barrage

[Pre-Chorus]
It's goin' down, a logical progression on a timeline
The separation narrowed down to a fine line
To blur the edges so they blend together properly
Take you on an audible odyssey, now

(y)

Sia chronological #31: Destiny (with Zero 7)

Scoresman rank: 5

So we are starting with Sia’s brief stint with the English trip hop duo Zero 7 from the mid 2000s. This was just after her acid jazz band Crisp broke up. She did a few vocals for Zero 7 across a couple of albums.

I love how sexy, and chill this particular song is. In fact, this is the song (and album) I first made love to my wife to so it’s pretty special to us.

I’m in Hawaii on vacation right now, so the next few write ups may be brief or nonexistent. The next few songs will have a very similar vibe to this one.

So we are starting with Sia’s brief stint with the English trip hop duo Zero 7 from the mid 2000s. This was just after her acid jazz band Crisp broke up. She did a few vocals for Zero 7 across a couple of albums.

I love how sexy, and chill this particular song is. In fact, this is the song (and album) I first made love to my wife to so it’s pretty special to us.

I’m in Hawaii on vacation right now, so the next few write ups may be brief or nonexistent. The next few songs will have a very similar vibe to this one.
I’m not too far into the #31 playlist yet, but this was an early highlight for me. This was fantastic!

I’m not too far into the #31 playlist yet, but this was an early highlight for me. This was fantastic!
Thanks! I think early Sia is going to surprise a lot of people who only know her as a pop singer.

I’m going to be so far behind on the listening. It’s interesting that you posted my fav beastie boys track as 31. Are you doing chronological? Edit: Got to your write up and see it’s ranked. Can’t wait to see what you think is better than this classic!

Also I accidentally clicked on the Mastadon YouTube link on my phone and I just let it keep playing. I love that we have metal on here and that was a great song. Going to randomly listen to more of the list in between beach naps.

We have a playlist that ranges from metal to classical. Holy crap I love that.

Tears for Fears
#31 - Everybody Wants to Run the World

Appears - Charity Single for “Run the World”
Year - 1986
UK Highest Chart Position - #5
US Highest Chart Position - Not released
Key Lyric - All for freedom and for pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever
Everybody wants to run the world

Notes
1- The reworked single was released in May 1986 as the theme song for the Sport Aidcampaign, a charitable event held to raise money for famine relief in Africa
2- The video features Bob Geldof and Midge Ure acting very badly to promote it. Several prominent at the Time UK athletes also appeared
3- Not a ton of thought went into rerecording this. They literally changed the word Rule to run throughout the entire song. A few extra bangs and whistles so the producer could earn his keep.

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
Songs from the Big Chair - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Raoul and the Kings of Spain - 0
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0
B- Sides - Other/Non Album Songs - 1

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

Next up we have the first cover from Tears for Fears that appears on our list.
It’s a very well known song

Röyksopp
31 - Go With the Flow (QOTSA cover - Vocals Röyksopp)

Year - 2006
Appears on - Röyksopp’s Night Out EP
Vocalist - Svein Berge of Röyksopp
Key Lyric - She said "I'll throw myself away
They're just photos after all"
I can't make you hang around
I can't wash you off my skin

Notes
1- This is a cover of the Queens of the Stone Age song.
2- Heres what Pitchfork said “And, yes, Röyksopp do perform Queens of the Stone Age's "Go With the Flow", the primary reason the Norwegian band's longtime fans will want this record. Its bleak death-wish lyrics and martial melody make surprising sense amid rocket-propelled synths and understated vocals, but the cover's still a curio when laid beside Röyksopp's superior, original compositions.”
3- The Röyksopp’s Night Out EP was originally only intended for the Japanese market, where the band is very successful
4- This is ranked #31 as I am finding it better to introduce acts through a familiar song to others. Helps set the scene. This is about as rocky as the Norwegians get. Its all dance, downbeat or mellow from here.

Running Vocal Count
Röyksopp - 1

Where to find
Melody A.M - 0
The Understanding - 0
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 1
Back to Mine Series - 0
Junior - 0
Senior - 0
Late Night Tales Series - 0
Do It Again EP - 0
The Inevitable End - 0
Profound Mysteries I - 0
Profound Mysteries II - 0
Profound Mysteries III - 0
Other/Non Album Songs - 0

Year
1999 -
2001 - 0
2002 - 0
2005 - 0
2006 - 1
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 0
2016 - 0
2022 - 0

Next up, a pure pop song with one of their major collaborators.
Its more her song, than theirs.

I’m not a pop music guy but really liked this one.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes
1- The reworked single was released in May 1986 as the theme song for the Sport Aidcampaign, a charitable event held to raise money for famine relief in Africa
2- The video features Bob Geldof and Midge Ure acting very badly to promote it. Several prominent at the Time UK athletes also appeared
3- Not a ton of thought went into rerecording this. They literally changed the word Rule to run throughout the entire song. A few extra bangs and whistles so the producer could earn his keep.

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

This would be my No. 1 for them. I know it’s an obvious choice - but it’s the No.1 overall 80s song for me.

Thin LizzyzamboniLittle Darling
Kicking it off for Thin Lizzy is this 1974 tune that never actually made it on to one of their albums, but was a live mainstay for them in the earlier years. Also included some horns, which they occasionally incorporated. Features the great Gary Moore (who I mentioned yesterday in scorchy's 1990 countdown) on lead guitar. In early 1974, Moore replaced original lead guitarist Eric Bell, who left due to the pressures of touring and recording. Moore would stay with Lizzy this first go around for just a few months, replaced by Brian Robertson - who was the co-lead guitarist (along with token American Scott Gorman) for their handful of glory years. Moore would later return to Lizzy in 1978 and leave shortly thereafter again. Overall, the band had a true whirlwind of lead guitarists, but managed to hold together quite well by Phil Lynott, Brian Downey and Gorham. The 31 songs here will have a taste of all their shredders.

Last edited:
Incubus - Light Grenades

Like any good rock concert, let's just say I wanted to kick this off with an explosive opening. A curveball for those that know Incubus for their radio friendly hits and demonstrated evolution for anyone that hasn't listened to much after SCIENCE/Make Yourself. Lead singer Brandon Boyd's ability to apply imagery to lyrics to each track's sound has always been a strong suit, but much more so as their career progressed and the speed of this track is what makes it stand out from the rest of what they were putting out in the mid aughts.

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesIntro

What better way to introduce those of you not familiar with Rateliff and the Night Sweats than "Intro". Great song and in the fashion of those band lounge act intros. My list is in order of my personal favorites save this one - I wanted this to be #31. I’d have it higher in the list otherwise. Love it and if you don't like this one then this artist may not be for you.

Not sure why but when I listen to this song I think of Jason Sudekis dancing in the What's Up With That skit on SNL. This song just makes me happy.

I’m glad this thread is back active so I can stay out of Tim’s classic rock countdown and still get my music jones fulfilled.
I've got another music thread in mind as long as it's not too overkill and we can multi-task.
I find Tim’s limitations in defining classic rock too restrictive and arbitrary and frankly that music is starting to bore me a little.

Nothing against Tim - he does a fine job at what he does and is a pleasant dude. I’m just not into some of the anarchy that’s there.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

This would be my No. 1 for them. I know it’s an obvious choice - but it’s the No.1 overall 80s song for me.
Read the song title very carefully.
This isnt what you think it is.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

I'm guessing Sir Bob Geldof was among the last kids picked for his gym class teams.

I don't expect to do write-ups for all the Collective Soul songs. This particular song is one of 2 that I have on their 2015 release See What You Started by Continuing. As mentioned previously, the majority of my songs come from the 3 albums released between '95 and '99. A new drummer and lead guitarist joined the band for this one and I feel you can here a slightly different sound to the group. The drums are much more prominent. Still has the same awesome voice of Ed Roland leading the way and that's why I love this band so much. I think this is a really solid album and their best collection of tunes since Dosage.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

Gotcha - I did not get to it on the playlist yet, and my mind played tricks with me on that title.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

This got me too. I had to go back and reread the song title when I saw what album you mentioned it came from.

Tears for Fears

Year - 1986

Notes

Where to find
The Hurting - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 0
2004 - 0
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

This got me too. I had to go back and reread the song title when I saw what album you mentioned it came from.
Honestly, I don't know if it's still the correct song on the playlist.

31. Absolute Beginners

This song turned out to be a very appropriate intro for this exercise, as its title has to do with beginnings, it was the first song the band released that presented a more overt soul/R&B influence, and it was the first song by The Jam that I ever heard.
I was not angling for a playlist title by putting it in the first playlist, but that's a nice benefit. Especially because Chicago got 0 playlist titles last time.

Users who are viewing this thread