What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

BEASTIE BOYS

A big part of why the Beasties are on of my favorite bands/groups is the varieties of style they offer from album to album and from song to song. They can shift from hip-hop to punk to funky instrumentals to sampling mixology and all parts in between from song to song within an album and do so seamlessly. Their lyrics can be funny, immature, and extremely unserious, but can also be insightful, introspective, and even topical.

In my top 31, I tried to show all of these styles in various forms. I wanted to include a few songs to add to the variety, but ultimately had to cut them since I still wanted to represent my favorites here. I’ve got hits, deeper cuts, songs with guest features, remixes, jams, and bonus tracks represented. I’m sure there will be some surprise omissions - there were some really tough ones to leave out of my top 31.

I have fewer stories to tell with this round of songs than I did with Genesis, so I’m going to provide the following info with each of my Beastie Boys writeups.

Peacockin’ - a tally of how many references are made within the song to Ad-Rock, MCA, Mike D, the Beastie Boys, or the greater NYC area.

Name Rockin’ - from Fred Flintstone, to Rod Carew, to Jacoby & Meyers, the boys are always dropping plenty of famous and infamous names in their songs. I list them all here.

Rhyme Squawkin’ - I list my favorite verses here.

Yo Mama Talkin’ - anything on my mind or interesting things to me to call out for each song.

Forewarning: There will be some NSFW language and some dabbling in misogyny (although I tried to avoid some of the worst of it).
Bumpty bump as we’re getting closer.

An introduction to Röyksopp

They are a Norwegian duo, Svein Berge and Torbjørn Brundtland from Tromsø.
The word röyksopp is a stylized version of the Norwegian word for the puffball mushroom, "røyksopp"
Formed in 1998 their music covers the genres of Trip Hop, Ambient, House, Synth Pop, Electronic, Synthwave and just Pop.

Best comparison is Daft Punk, although more mellow. Maybe @rockaction can comment if he is unfamiliar or even familiar with the Norwegians.
Wiki says “Röyksopp's music is often referred to as "warm", a reference to the band's downbeat electronica that combines elements of house music and Afro-American sounds”
Perfect description. Several of the tracks have a very heavy 70s black music vibe. Ever modest, after early success...Thorbjørn Brundtland commented on the song "With regard to all the positive reactions So Easy has received, one can wonder if we really have talent, or if it is just luck."

The first album Melody AM was a surprise hit after their debut single. So Easy was used in a T Mobile ad in the UK. Their videos were highly unique. The Remind Me single was used in a Geico ad in the US. They were also offered the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack work, but declined
After that they seemed to find their voice and how well they worked with female vocalists. From one track on their debut, Sparks, to 2 hit singles on their follow up - What Else is There and Only this Moment to 7 of the 11 tracks on Junior. 2 of the others were instrumental, with the band doing their own vocals on the other 2.

Out of my 31 tracks, 4 are instrumentals. Of the remaining 27 tracks 9 lead with a male vocalist, including the band with 5. 18 have a female lead. 8 vocalists appear only once. Two female vocalists account for 10 tracks. 5 unique female vocalists who didnt make the top 31, are in the 32-44 area.

The band have worked with many big names producing remixes for Depeche Mode, Lady Gaga, Kings of Leon, Beck, Coldplay and Peter Gabriel. One of those remixes is so good I have included it here, but havent mentioned the artist yet. The difference between the original and the remix is so stark, I am labelling it a Röyksopp song

After 2014 the band took a long break only popping up occasionally. Two of those pop ups are on this list. Then surprisingly in 2022, just like Robyn did, they released 3 albums in a very short space of time. My expectations were low, but 8 of the 31 tracks come from these 3 albums and I wanted another 5. Some singles and known tracks from the early days do not make my list, such was the quality of the 2022 releases. If I make this list in 2021, It would have been great. A clear 31. Trying to squeeze an extra 13 tracks led to some heavy losses.
Its gonna be a fun countdown with many interesting and varied tracks. Hope you can enjoy some, if not all of them. It’s electronic in nature, but some will surprise with their broad appeal. Others not.

Collaborators on working with Röyksopp

Alison Goldfrapp

Given her first prominent gigs were as a guest vocalist for the likes of Orbital and Tricky in the mid-90s, teaming up with another outfit – especially one as revered as Röyksopp – made a lot of sense.
“It’s been great working with the wonderful Svein & Torbjørn from Röyksopp. I’ve been a fan of their music for years, and it was a fascinating joy creating ‘XXXXXXXXX’ together. I truly hope everyone enjoys the track as there’s more to come.”

Robyn
The way we made this recent album was new to all of us. They’ve always worked alone and never really let anyone in to their music-making process, which is similar to me. I haven’t made an album with another artist. We spent a lot of time in their studio. We also did a lot of emailing and Skyping and talking on the phone, so it was very interactive. We’re all really open to what the others think. If you like what someone does, you trust them. I feel totally safe with Svein and Torbjørn.

Jamie Irrepressible
I was fairly nervous to meet them – I’m a huge fan of their music. There are a lot of unnecessary egos in music. The boys are the opposite. They are focused on the music with a huge amount of passion and skill – I would in fact say they are wizards! They are hugely inspiring. They made me feel very positive about my voice and gave me a lot of good energy in the studio – I felt like I could fly in their presence – I also felt able to be sensitive to my emotions and open.

Karen Harding
Truly honoured to be working with Röyksopp, I’m a fan and have always loved the way they perform their music,” Harding said of the collaboration.

Susanne Sundfør
“It's always fun to work with the mushrooms. They’re lovely – it’s such an honour to work with them and they’re so talented,” she said of her relationship with the dance duo. “We all have those different traits in us. Sometimes we want to dance and sometimes we want to do more soul-searching.”

The conventional story of The Jam is that they were a punk/mod band that discovered soul music and slickened up their work to the point that Paul Weller decided they were no longer the appropriate vehicle for the music he wanted to make. It's not entirely accurate. What I hope my list will show you is that running through their entire body of work is the same stuff. The influences that were evident in the latest, most popular phase of their career were always there. They just manifested themselves a little differently as the band got better at performing and arranging and Weller improved his already high level of songwriting.

The word "prodigy" is overused but is perfectly appropriate in the case of Paul Weller. He formed The Jam with friends* from school at age 14, initially playing bass. Drummer Rick Buckler joined less than a year after formation, and Bruce Foxton joined in 1974, initially on guitar before switching instruments with Weller a few months later. They played covers until Weller had a revelation when hearing The Who's debut album, My Generation. He decided to start writing songs in that vein and adopted The Who's mod style for his own band's look and sound.

"I saw that through becoming a Mod it would give me a base and an angle to write from, and this we eventually did," Weller wrote in a piece for a German website in 2007. "We went out and bought suits and started playing Motown, Stax and Atlantic covers. I bought a Rickenbacker guitar, a Lambretta GP 150 and tried to style my hair like Steve Marriott's circa '66."

The Jam got lumped into the punk scene because they played fast and loud, but aside from having short hair they didn't look like punks, and despite having short, aggressive songs, they didn't really sound like them either. What strikes me most about their debut album, In the City (1977), is how much it sounds like pre-Tommy Who. And it is the key to my thesis that running through their entire catalog, as different as their 1977 material sounds from their 1982 material, is the same stuff. The songs are played with punk fury, but they wear their influences -- the Who, the Small Faces, the Beatles, Motown, the rough-and-tumble R&B acts from the late '50s and early '60s -- on their sleeve. Weller and co did not want to destroy rock and roll, they wanted to build on it in a different way from the stadium acts of the day.

While the 1977 version of The Jam was not the commercially dominant behemoth it would become in a few years, it caught on across the UK quickly. In fact, EVERY SINGLE A-side the band released reached the UK top 40, starting with the title track of In the City. As typical of the record industry, the label (Polydor) pushed the band for more material quickly, and the second album, This Is the Modern World, released late in 1977, is considered a quickie follow-up that pales in comparison to its predecessor. While not exactly inaccurate, that's not entirely fair, as its songs attempt to bring in different elements from the debut and expand the band's palette and capabilities. Weller has never rested on his laurels, and certainly did not here.

Early 1978 was crucial to the band's development. The aforementioned label pressures plus a disastrous US tour opening for Blue Oyster Cult (!!!!) exhausted Weller and drained him of inspiration. He was not able to muster much good material for his next batch of songs, and Foxton, who had written two songs on the second album and a non-album A-side that followed, filled in the gaps. The band's producers rejected the material as substandard. The Jam were now at a crossroads. The UK record-buying public is notoriously fickle and its chart history is littered with flashes in the pan. The band was seriously at risk of becoming another one of those.

Weller returned to his hometown, listened to a bunch of Kinks records, and returned with a new batch of songs heavily inspired by Ray Davies. His earlier material had dabbled in social commentary, but now it was a major part of his lyrical forays. And as had happened with the late '60s Kinks, the band's sound became more diverse and less manic (though it still rocked plenty). The third album, All Mod Cons (1978) was enthusiastically received by the public and the press and set them on the path to megastardom. Yet there was just as much bite to these songs as the earlier ones had -- Weller's lyrics savaged everyone from right-wing thugs to nihilistic punks to fickle scenesters to soulless stockbroker types.

A couple more non-album singles continued the momentum, and then came the song that made The Jam one of the top acts in the UK for the next 4 years: The Eton Rifles. Its music is absolutely savage and its lyrics depict the class struggle that had started to dominate Weller's focus. It became the band's first top 5 hit and heralded the release of their fourth album, Setting Sons (1979), much of whose music matches the chaotic sounds of war, both hot and cold.

The momentum continued with the next non-album single, a double A side which became their first UK #1 hit; the song that did the heavy lifting was Going Underground, whose music matches the fury of The Eton Rifles and whose lyrics rage against Margaret Thatcher's Tory government and the military-industrial complex.

The next album, Sound Affects (1980), was another expansion of their sound, with the Beatles and other psychedelia, funk, post-punk and Bowie among the elements added to their mix. It is considered by many, including Weller himself, to be their best record, and is the LP most heavily represented in my countdown. Its lead single, Start!, became their second UK #1, and another song, That's Entertainment, became the best-selling import single in the UK at the time, reaching #21 without an official UK release.

Their sound changed even more drastically in the second half of 1981 when they released a single, Absolute Beginners, that was much more overtly R&B than anything they had done up to that point, with horns featured prominently. Absolute Beginners was also their first song to get significant run on MTV, which helped raise the band's profile in the US. The R&B-focused approach continued on what turned out to be the band's final album, The Gift (1982). And the new sound was wholly embraced in the UK, as the album went to #1 as well as its first single, the double A-side of Town Called Malice and Precious; the former became their best-known song in the US and is the one song from them that you might have heard if you know nothing about them (or if you paid attention during the British Isles Middle-Aged Dummies countdown).

Shockingly, Weller decided to disband The Jam when they were at their commercial peak, determining that Buckler and Foxton were not capable of taking his material's sounds in the direction he envisioned. The band released two final singles after the decision, the second of which, Beat Surrender, became their fourth and final UK #1.

"I wanted to end it to see what else I was capable of, and I'm still sure we stopped at the right time," Weller told The Daily Mirror in 2015. "I'm proud of what we did but I didn't want to dilute it, or for us to get embarrassing by trying to go on forever. We finished at our peak. I think we had achieved all we wanted or needed to, both commercially and artistically."

Weller formed The Style Council, which leaned even more heavily into R&B and mostly abandoned punk/post-punk, and that band lasted until 1989, after which Weller launched a solo career that endures to this day. In the UK he is revered just as much as your Pete Townshends and Ray Davieses. After a brief, mostly unsuccessful solo career, and a one-single collaboration with Buckler under the name Sharp, Foxton joined Stiff Little Fingers and stayed from 1990 to 2006. After that, Buckler and Foxton toured performing Jam material under the name From the Jam. In 2010, Foxton and Weller collaborated for the first time in 28 years when Foxton played on two tracks of Weller's album Wake Up the Nation. But a full Jam reunion has never happened and never will. "Me and my children would have to be destitute and starving in the gutter before I'd even consider [a reunion], and I don't think that'll happen anyway," Weller told BBC 6 Radio in 2006. "The Jam's music still means something to people and a lot of that's because we stopped at the right time, it didn't go on and become embarrassing."

The Jam fit a common pattern among my favorite artists: Exceptionally strong songwriting combined with a desire to blend styles and draw from various influences. I was drawn to them as a tween when their latter-day singles Absolute Beginners, Town Called Malice, The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow) and Beat Surrender were featured on MTV, and they have been one of my favorite acts for about 40 years. I hope you'll come to appreciate them almost as much as I do.

* - one of these friends, guitarist Dave Waller, died young and was eulogized by Weller in the Style Council song "A Man of Great Promise".

BEASTIE BOYS

A big part of why the Beasties are on of my favorite bands/groups is the varieties of style they offer from album to album and from song to song. They can shift from hip-hop to punk to funky instrumentals to sampling mixology and all parts in between from song to song within an album and do so seamlessly. Their lyrics can be funny, immature, and extremely unserious, but can also be insightful, introspective, and even topical.

In my top 31, I tried to show all of these styles in various forms. I wanted to include a few songs to add to the variety, but ultimately had to cut them since I still wanted to represent my favorites here. I’ve got hits, deeper cuts, songs with guest features, remixes, jams, and bonus tracks represented. I’m sure there will be some surprise omissions - there were some really tough ones to leave out of my top 31.

I have fewer stories to tell with this round of songs than I did with Genesis, so I’m going to provide the following info with each of my Beastie Boys writeups.

Peacockin’ - a tally of how many references are made within the song to Ad-Rock, MCA, Mike D, the Beastie Boys, or the greater NYC area.

Name Rockin’ - from Fred Flintstone, to Rod Carew, to Jacoby & Meyers, the boys are always dropping plenty of famous and infamous names in their songs. I list them all here.

Rhyme Squawkin’ - I list my favorite verses here.

Yo Mama Talkin’ - anything on my mind or interesting things to me to call out for each song.

Forewarning: There will be some NSFW language and some dabbling in misogyny (although I tried to avoid some of the worst of it).
Bumpty bump as we’re getting closer.
:excited:

Ben Folds

Where to start. My favorite artist as an "adult". Didn't really discover him until 1997 when "Brick" went mainstream. (oddly enough it didn't make the cut - not because I don't like it, it's a truly great and haunting song). Have been to see him live more times than I can count.

This is my favorite story of him growing up:
Folds was born in North Carolina. He became interested in piano at age nine. His father, a carpenter, brought one home through a barter trade with a customer who was unable to pay. During this time, Folds listened to songs by Elton John and Billy Joel on AM radio, and learned them by ear.

Folds formed Ben Folds Five in 1994, with bassist Robert Sledge, and drummer Darren Jessee in Chapel Hill, NC.

Folds has described Ben Folds Five as "punk rock for sissies",and his lyrics often contain nuances of melancholy, self-conflict, and humorous sarcasm, often punctuated by profanity. (you have been warned)

His solo stuff is more "adult" although the sarcasm and piano rock are still there. He has frequently performed arrangements of his music with uncommon instrumentation for rock and pop music, including symphony orchestras and a cappella groups. Folds has been married five times and divorced four times and a lot of his songs come from these relationships.

For My 31:

Ben Folds Solo - 13 songs
Ben Folds Five - 17 songs
Other - 1 song

Albums/EPs:

Ben Folds Five - 6 songs
Whatever and Ever Amen - 6 songs
Naked Baby Photos - 1 song
The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner - 4 songs
The Sound of The Life of The Mind - 1 song
Rockin' The Suburbs - 7 songs
Songs for Silverman - 2 songs
sunny 16 - 1 song
Super D - 1 song
supersunnyspeedgraphic - 1 songs
Way To Normal - 1 song

The last 7 or so spots were a complete toss up. So here are a few that very easily could have made the cut and a good representation of Folds through the years:

Best Imitation Of Myself - BBF: Fuzzy Bass goodness and from BFF's first album sums up Ben's early angst.

Fair - BFF: Really love this song and probably should have made the 31 but it's too late now - another relationship gone wrong song.

You Don't Know Me (featuring Regina Spektor) - BF: One of my daughter's favorite song - probably the first BF song she got to "choose" and I didn't force on her. Such a great simple catchy song.

Brainwascht - BF: Love this song so hard, but it's not for everyone - really childish retaliation to one of his ex wives. Got to see him work this and several other songs out in 2007 at the Exit In in Nashville (just closed down :frown:) Here is the youtube of him working through this song - so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSMKjMV0iW0

Rockin' the Suburbs - BF: This album is a legit masterpiece. I for sure could have included all 12 songs withougt blinking an eye. I excluded this one and another very popular song because I was already at 7 from this album. Folds at his snarkiest, and it sort of rocks!

The Luckiest - BF: Get out the tissues, evidently one of the most requested songs at weddings. :cry:

Like I said earlier, hope you like the piano. And almost all the songs drop a curse word so beware. Hope you give Ben a chance, even if this sort of music isn't your thing. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm just going to copypasta wiki

Josh Homme is an American singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer who has released 18 studio albums and collaborated with over 25 different artists. He started playing guitar in the 1980s and formed a band with Palm Desert, California schoolmates John Garcia and Brant Bjork, initially under the name Katzenjammer, then Sons of Kyuss, and later shortened to simply Kyuss. The band released an EP called Sons of Kyuss (1990) when Homme was 16 years old, before going on to record four critically acclaimed studio albums and a greatest hits release without breaking through to mainstream success. After the breakup of the band in 1995, Homme considered abandoning his music career, but was persuaded by vocalist Mark Lanegan to join the Screaming Trees on tour as second guitarist.

In August 1997, Homme gathered a few musician friends at recording studio Rancho de la Luna for a weekend of collaborations called "The Desert Sessions". The experiment yielded two albums, Volumes 1 & 2, and Homme would repeat the exercise at the same studio with different musicians on a further four occasions over the next decade.

Also in 1997, Homme formed Queens of the Stone Age with former Kyuss drummer Alfredo Hernández, initially under the name Gamma Ray. In 1998, Queens of the Stone Age released their self-titled debut album, on which Homme performed lead vocals, guitar, and bass guitar. Queens of the Stone Age would adopt a fluid line-up, with dozens of members joining and leaving as the band developed while Homme remained the only permanent member. They have released several EPs, compilations, a DVD, and a total of eight studio albums, including the break-through Songs for the Deaf (2002).

Eagles of Death Metal started out as an impromptu collaboration on the Desert Sessions' 1998 release Volume 4: Hard Walls and Little Trips, but became a full-time band with the recording and release of their debut album, Peace, Love, Death Metal, in 2004. The original line-up included Homme on drums and his childhood friend Jesse Hughes on lead vocals and guitar, although Homme rarely tours with the band due to his commitments with Queens of the Stone Age. In 2006, Eagles of Death Metal released its second studio album, Death by Sexy, which became their first album to chart on the Billboard 200. The band has since released a further two albums.

In 2009, Homme appeared alongside Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones in the band Them Crooked Vultures. The band has so far put out one record, the self-titled Them Crooked Vultures. Plans for a follow-up in the future continue, with Homme and Grohl both continuing to state their commitment to the band despite their numerous other projects.

Homme has also appeared on the releases of several other bands, including Deep in the Hole (2001) and Flak 'n' Flight (2003) by Masters of Reality, Cocaine Rodeo (2000) and A Drug Problem That Never Existed (2003) by Mondo Generator, In Your Honor by Foo Fighters (2005), and Impeach My Bush by Peaches (2006).

Best Imitation Of Myself - BBF: Fuzzy Bass goodness and from BFF's first album sums up Ben's early angst.

Fair - BFF: Really love this song and probably should have made the 31 but it's too late now - another relationship gone wrong song.

Those first two BFF albums are two of my favorites. It would have been hard to keep any tracks off a list of 31. Will admit I have never dove deep into his solo stuff, looking forward to it.

Have 6 left to enter... Unless someone needs a little bit of extra time, I'll close it off Sunday at 8pm ET.

17Northern Voice. @Northern VoiceThe New Pornographers
33otb_lifer. @otb_liferSiouxie
39sneveneleven. @snevenelevenScott Hutchison
40zazale. @zazalePyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
43DrianMalcom. @DrIanMalcolmJohn Lee Hooker
45Sam Quentin.Rainbow
Just heard from DrIanMalcolm, who said he will get his list in today.

Unless someone needs a little bit of extra time, I'll close it off Sunday at 8pm ET.
It's been open since August 24th. That's 38 days. Let's get this show on the road.

Or we could wait 'til Tuesday (not spotlighting!) for a nice even 40.
For you holy rollers (Spoon call-out):
You may be familiar with the importance of the number 40 in the Bible. After all, it pops up in the Good Book 159 times, across both the Old and New Testaments. God flooded the earth for 40 days and nights. Moses fasted for 40 days, and Jesus wandered the wilderness for, yes, 40 days.

Unless someone needs a little bit of extra time, I'll close it off Sunday at 8pm ET.
It's been open since August 24th. That's 38 days. Let's get this show on the road.

Or we could wait 'til Tuesday (not spotlighting!) for a nice even 40.
For you holy rollers (Spoon call-out):
You may be familiar with the importance of the number 40 in the Bible. After all, it pops up in the Good Book 159 times, across both the Old and New Testaments. God flooded the earth for 40 days and nights. Moses fasted for 40 days, and Jesus wandered the wilderness for, yes, 40 days.
Sufjan approves of anything Biblical

Same schedule as last one means we could start today or Tuesday I think?
Either is fine with me. Today is Porchfest here so I’ll be listening to live music all day jumping around the neighborhood.

Have 6 left to enter... Unless someone needs a little bit of extra time, I'll close it off Sunday at 8pm ET.

45Sam Quentin.Rainbow
Sorry had my big out of town in person fantasy hockey draft this weekend. I have my list, will try to get it in when I'm back this evening

45Sam Quentin.Rainbow
I just spoke with sneveneleven and she says she got her list in.
I had to look up her artist again. For some reason I keep thinking it's the Creed lead singer. :scared:

Just to be clear, I for sure can put the playlist together if it's ready tonight, but It won't be until around 8pm central. It's our anniversary today, and we were going to get something to eat quick after I am done with work today. I think @Zegras11 is letting people submit until about then anyway, and it doesn't take me long to slap the playlists together.

I chose to highlight the music of David Berman in this round. He was the founder and sole permanent member of the Silver Jews and released one album as Purple Mountains shortly before he died by suicide in 2019. I chose him because I love his writing. He wrote some of my favorite lines in songs, bar none. His songs are sad, funny, clever, biting and insightful---often all at once.

Here is a brief summary of his career as written by someone at AllMusic:

A beautiful mess of indie rock, country-rock and lo-fi with lyrics both witty and profound, the Silver Jews were formed in 1989 by writer/musician David Berman with his friends, guitarist/singer Stephen Malkmus and drummer Bob Nastanovich. The trio performed together as Ectoslavia when they studied at the University of Virginia; after graduation, they moved to New York and shared an apartment. They played noisy, often improvised songs, mostly for the sheer enjoyment they got out of playing together after a hard day's work. At the time, Berman and Malkmus were guards at an art museum and Nastanovich was a bus driver. After work, they would record songs into people's answering machines, but even after the band's sonics improved, the basic idea of friends playing together in a spontaneous way became the Silver Jews' trademark style.

Before moving to New York but after finishing his studies, Malkmus founded Pavement with his childhood friend Scott Kannberg. As Pavement's acclaim and visibility grew, the notion arose that the Silver Jews were a "Pavement side-project," despite the fact that Berman's writing, singing, and guitar playing led the band's music. On the band's initial recordings, Berman tried to protect the Jews' individuality, listing Malkmus and Nastanovich under aliases, but it backfired when people learned who "Hazel Figurine" and "Bobby N." really were.

The notion of the Jews as a side project was only reaffirmed when Nastanovich joined Pavement as a second drummer (to supplement the duties of Gary Young, their then-current, unpredictable drummer) before the release of the group's debut album, Slanted and Enchanted (which was named after a cartoon that Berman created). Steve West, another college friend, played drums for both bands, first for the Silver Jews on Dime Map of the Reef, and on all of Pavement's releases after Watery, Domestic.

However, the Jews' sometimes frustrating "Pavement connection" did bring some important attention to the band: Dan Koretsky, founder of the Chicago-based indie label Drag City, met Berman at a Pavement show. When he heard of the Jews' tapes, Koretsky offered to release them. On their first EPs for the label, 1990's Dime Map of the Reef and 1993's The Arizona Record, the band held to their ultra lo-fi aesthetic and recorded the majority of both on a walkman.

After the release of the EPs, Berman entered a graduate-level writing program at the University of Massachusetts and met like-minded members of local bands, the indie/country hybrid Scud Mountain Boys and New Radiant Storm King. Writing and teaching at the university left Berman time for songwriting; soon, he had enough material for an album, which became 1994's Starlite Walker. The album reunited Berman with Malkmus and Nastanovich (this time listed by their real names in the credits) in the 24-track Easley Recording studios for a more focused, polished take on the Silver Jews' literate, lyrical, country and noise-inspired rock.

Along with writing and working with other performers like the War Comet and Silver Palace, Berman recorded the Jews' third album, The Natural Bridge, in the summer of 1996 with members of New Radiant Storm King and Drag City artist/producer Rian Murphy. Originally, Berman planned to record this album with Malkmus, Nastanovich, and the Scud Mountain Boys, but both sessions were scrapped after a few days. The Natural Bridge continued to streamline the Silver Jews' sound and let Berman's rich, abstract lyrics and reflective vocals take center stage. Malkmus returned for 1998's American Water, and his guitar and vocal interplay with Berman made it some of the Silver Jews' best work. The following year, Berman's first collection of poetry, the critically acclaimed Actual Air, was published by Open City Press. The Silver Jews returned in 2001 with Tennessee, which also featured Berman's wife Cassie on a few tracks. After struggling with depression and substance abuse, Berman resurrected the Jews -- which, this time around, included Cassie, Malkmus, Nastanovich, Will Oldham, and Azita Youseffi among many others -- in early 2005 for a new album. Recorded in Nashville, Tanglewood Numbers narrowly avoided being destroyed in the electrical fire that engulfed Memphis' historic Easley-McCain studio, where it was supposed to be mastered. Drag City released the album that fall. In 2008, Berman released the relatively upbeat Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea, but the following year he retired the Silver Jews banner and was largely walked away from music; though he was a reluctant live performer as a musician, Berman occasionally did readings of his short stories, poems in both the U.S. and the U.K. In July 2019, Berman returned to music with the release of the self-titled debut album from a new project, Purple Mountains. Less than a month later, Berman died on August 7, 2019; he was 52 years old.

Just to be clear, I for sure can put the playlist together if it's ready tonight, but It won't be until around 8pm central. It's our anniversary today, and we were going to get something to eat quick after I am done with work today. I think @Zegras11 is letting people submit until about then anyway, and it doesn't take me long to slap the playlists together.
Happy Anniversary!

down to otb and my son, zazale.

My son has been working hard on his list for awhile now and we should have it tonight. Could be very late tonight though.
Wait, what?

Just send it my way whenever. I hold odd hours and pass out and wake up randomly. Or if you are thinking Tuesday instead, I will take my time and do it sober. ;)

Time to find a horror movie that my wife might 1/2 way enjoy as well. The Texas Chainsaw Nightmare on Elm Street 2-9 type of crap doesn't amuse her the same way it does me. :lol:

down to otb and my son, zazale.

My son has been working hard on his list for awhile now and we should have it tonight. Could be very late tonight though.
Wait, what?

Just send it my way whenever. I hold odd hours and pass out and wake up randomly. Or if you are thinking Tuesday instead, I will take my time and do it sober. ;)

Time to find a horror movie that my wife might 1/2 way enjoy as well. The Texas Chainsaw Nightmare on Elm Street 2-9 type of crap doesn't amuse her the same way it does me. :lol:
Sounds like she doesn’t like campy stuff.

If you don’t mind subtitles and extreme gore/suffering, Martyrs gets my recommendation. It will seem like torture porn at first but I assure you it’s excellent with a thought provoking ending and theme.

Just make sure you’re watching the French version.

Users who are viewing this thread