What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions waste the careers of 2 of the GOAT (1 Viewer)

voiceofunreason

Footballguy
Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson combine for one playoff win.

With all due respect to other bad organizations, only the lions could have done it.

not sure I'd call them goats, they were actually pretty good
Sanders is a GOAT candidate at RB for sure. Retired just shy of the all time rushing lead.
yeah, dude he was awesome. my favorite all-time player. why are you guys calling them goats ???

Sean Carter definition still getting used a lot?
Greatest of all Time = GOAT
yeah that's the definition sean carter used...it's a joke, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanders is a GOAT candidate at RB for sure. Retired just shy of the all time rushing lead.
yeah, dude he was awesome. my favorite all-time player. why are you guys calling them goats ???

Sean Carter definition still getting used a lot?
Oh. I'm not good at jokes.

Well it's certainly the end of his Lions career, which is a good thing. No way he comes back for more of the crap he's dealt with with them. 2 winning seasons out of nine and one of them a total fluke and mirage. Member of the only 0-16 team ever. Way to go Lions. He will mull offers after the Lions cut him loose. If he gets a good offer from a contender he will be on the field in 2016. Pats are certainly the #1 option right now. Dude is beaten down by the losing. Going to a winner will get that fire back.

Well it's certainly the end of his Lions career, which is a good thing. No way he comes back for more of the crap he's dealt with with them. 2 winning seasons out of nine and one of them a total fluke and mirage. Member of the only 0-16 team ever. Way to go Lions. He will mull offers after the Lions cut him loose. If he gets a good offer from a contender he will be on the field in 2016. Pats are certainly the #1 option right now. Dude is beaten down by the losing. Going to a winner will get that fire back.
Lions arent cutting him. He either plays for detroit or retires

Lions arent cutting him. He either plays for detroit or retires
We will see. When a new GM has to make a career decision, my guess is he starts over and cuts Calvin to free up $ to rebuild. Why would he continue to pay a guy the highest WR salary in history, that will not be around much longer? I say Calvin is forcing their hand if he continues playing. As a matter of fact, this speeds up their decision.

Saw this on Twitter:

If this is it for Calvin Johnson, Lions only won 6 more games than #Raiders in 9 seasons after Oak took Jamarcus over Megatron

voiceofunreason said:
Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson combine for one playoff win.

With all due respect to other bad organizations, only the lions could have done it.
Simmer down now. Cleveland.

Who cares? ,like they are the only HOF players who have played their entire career for horrible organizations.

RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

yeah, dude he was awesome. my favorite all-time player. why are you guys calling them goats ???Sean Carter definition still getting used a lot?
Oh. I'm not good at jokes.
Then you and Buffaloes should get along famously

Nothing to see here. If you didn't already know how pathetic the Lions are ... well I don't know what to say. They are one of - if not the - worst franchises in the four major sports.

One playoff win in 60 years. No Lions head coach has ever gone on to be the head coach of another team. Only 0-16 team in NFL history. Matt Millen. I mean - the list goes on and on.

And yet, every year, a select few of us come back and believe. Its a sickness. And I've got it again - after that 6-2 finish - SUPER BOWL 51!!

RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice
Clueless.Jim Brown is, at least, in the top 2 RB's with Barry.

Any list of all-time great WR's that does not have Jerry Rice #1 is invalid.

RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

WR, my guess he is going with freakishness although I might put Moss at the top.

In reality of best ever, it's Rice, Moss, Calvin.

RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

Jim Brown was great for his time, but the game was different back then. The defensive players weren't nearly as big or fast back then. I don't think he would of been as effective in the 80's,90's, or 2000's with his running style.

Jerry Rice had the best career & was phenomenal but I don't think he was a freak like CJ or Moss were in their prime.

Just my opinion of course, but feel free to disagree.

RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

Jim Brown was great for his time, but the game was different back then. The defensive players weren't nearly as big or fast back then. I don't think he would of been as effective in the 80's,90's, or 2000's with his running style.

Jerry Rice had the best career & was phenomenal but I don't think he was a freak like CJ or Moss were in their prime.

I disagree.. :)

Especially with the rules today that let us watch guys like Megatron, Julio (and Alan Hurns and Emmanuel Sanders) run rampant in the NFL, Jerry Rice would have been absolutely indefensible. All the people who make a habit of drooling over the potential of OBJ in today's game would have seen that borne in spades if Jerry Rice walked into the league today.

Back to topic: It was likely one of the greatest career tragedies for Barry to muddle through the mire of Detroit his entire career. On a perennial competitive team, I imagine his accomplishments would have been to rbs what Lawrence Taylor was to the LB position.

On some scale, Barry Sanders is the reason we started getting so many different types of backs into the league. Before him, the decades before wanted the next Earl Campbell and John Riggins. RBs were road plows. Now, by far, the most effective RBs are the ones that can be the next LT, the next Faulk. SF had a lot to do with it to, with the concepts, but Barry was the working product on the field that proved it could be done.

Quez said:
spider321 said:
RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

Which is why Rice deserves even more credit, he wasn't a freak of nature. The same way Antonio Brown isn't a freak of nature, but is still one of the best receivers in the league. Imagine if these guys were freaks of nature?

I forgot to consider those crazy high tech gloves the WRs wear these days. Odell Beckam would be on par with Keenan Mccardell without those things. A really good WR, but by no means a HoF guy.

Quez said:
spider321 said:
RB

1. Barry Sanders

2. LT

3. Walter Payton

WR

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Jerry Rice

Let me guess, you're too young to have actually watched Jerry Rice play in his prime.

No receiver in the history of football is in the same tier as Jerry.

Put young Jerry in today's game where corners can't hold, push, and shove the receiver all the way down the field, and he'd AVERAGE 3 TD's a game.

I just think in his prime Calvin was such a physical freak that I give him the nod. I think Rice had better hands, and was a better route runner, but Calvin had speed, size, and hands.

Eta I was young but the 49ers were one of my favorite teams. Bucs fans usually had another team since they were horrible.

I just think in his prime Calvin was such a physical freak that I give him the nod. I think Rice had better hands, and was a better route runner, but Calvin had speed, size, and hands.

Eta I was young but the 49ers were one of my favorite teams. Bucs fans usually had another team since they were horrible.
Calvin is one of a kind in that respect. Freak

Quez said:
This argument is a fallacy. Sure if you transport today's players back to JB's time it would be a mismatch. Similarly if JB was born in this era with all the nutrition, training and treatment advantages he would be every bit as dominant. The guy was a freakish human specimen.

no idea why people act like Sanders retired so early. Sure he was still playing well but he retired at 31, which is old for a RB.

Sweetness was almost in the same situation.

How come all the blame is on the Lions and none on Calvin or Barry in this era of free agency? If anything all these arguments suggest they were foolish to expect the Lions to build a Super Bowl winning team

Sweetness was almost in the same situation.

How come all the blame is on the Lions and none on Calvin or Barry in this era of free agency? If anything all these arguments suggest they were foolish to expect the Lions to build a Super Bowl winning team
This maybe could be true for Calvin, but it is a stretch. Barry had no reason to believe they wouldn't put a winner around him. Players moved in Barry's time, but not like they do today, also in Barry's 3rd year this team went to the NFC title game. The Lions were also making the playoffs basically every other year. Everyone thought the Lions were going to be a winner in the early 90's. I believe it was John Madden that said it during the Lions vs Cowboys playoff game. He said something like, the NFC is going to be pretty boring for the next 5 or 6 years watching the Lions and Cowboys battling to go to the super bowl.

The only reason Randy Moss has the single season receiving TD record, is because of the 1987 player's strike.

Also, Rice's career receiving yards record is the closest thing the NFL has to Wayne Gretsky's points record or Cy Young's wins record.

The only reason Randy Moss has the single season receiving TD record, is because of the 1987 player's strike.
And because the Patriots decided to "pad his stats" by airing it out when games were already decided, just to break Jerry's record.

Jerry Rice is the best WR to ever play and possibly the best player. don't overthink it. There is the Jerry Rice tier and then a tier down begins the rest of the WR to play

no idea why people act like Sanders retired so early. Sure he was still playing well but he retired at 31, which is old for a RB.
He almost ran for 1500 yards his last year and showed no noticeable signs of slippage. Eventually father time wins but not everyone is used up at 31.

At least Megatron is giving them notice, not screwing them like Barry
Exactly, I'm with yu, Barry hosed the Lions right after a 2000yd season to!

I can at least respect Calvin, and still enjoy what he did, not to much with Barry.......

He almost ran for 1500 yards his last year and showed no noticeable signs of slippage. Eventually father time wins but not everyone is used up at 31.
and Barry wasn't like most backs. He didn't take many clean hits. He only had 1 real injury ( a knee injury at 25 that cost him 5 games). His last year, he had 1700 total yards, but his ypc did dip to 4.3 which was his lowest ypc in 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread