What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (1 Viewer)

So this might sound stupid but I’m hoping it helps me get over this slump. As fate would allow, I have an old friend from high school/college years who has entered a PhD program for counseling or life coaching and needed three volunteers to be her guinea pigs. I volunteered and told her I want to break my sugar addiction. We had our first session last night. I’m back on the no sugar wagon. I’m going to take @PIK95advice and not count things, but just not eat carbs/sugary things. Meat/fruit/vegetables. Drink nothing but water. Let’s see how this plays out. 
Watch out for those sneaky carbs!  And black cold brew coffee is my secret weapon!  Good luck.

Cashews, bluepberies, cheddar cheese, yogurt, and watermelon are the "sweet things" I eat almost daily.  I eat a decent amount of watermelon, but smallish amounts of the others.  Fish, eggs, and meat to fill up. An occasional spoonful of peanut butter too.  Boring, but I just entered the 270's  I was 318 in June.

I also don't eat before I go to bed, or when I wake up 90% of the time.  I basically fast from 10pm to 10 am every day.  Dr thinks that helps also.  

Last edited by a moderator:
215.3 today. 2.8 pounds last week. 60.7 overall. Had an anniversary dinner with my wife and she posted a couple of photos. Family friend reached out to make sure I wasn’t sick.
215.8 today, first time since the beginning that I've had an up week. -.5 pounds from last week, 60.2 overall. Diet has backslid. Been working from home 50% of the time and it's much tougher to make it until 5 PM when I'm home. My wife has also slipped a bit, so there have been a couple more nights of microwave popcorn. Goal for the end of the month is 215, so still on track.

I desperately need to up the amount of exercise I'm getting as well. Again, it's easier at work. I can take 20 minutes and go for a walk to touch base with guys on the floor. At home, I'm incommunicado if I leave the computer for 20 minutes. Excuses, excuses...

202 today. No ice cream over the weekend. I’m kind of irritated with myself on how hard it is to not eat ice cream. I’ve been buying salads at favorite places to treat myself. And I picked up some keto cup candy things from Costco to eat one at night before bed. I’m glad I’m not on meth. 

202 today. No ice cream over the weekend. I’m kind of irritated with myself on how hard it is to not eat ice cream. I’ve been buying salads at favorite places to treat myself. And I picked up some keto cup candy things from Costco to eat one at night before bed. I’m glad I’m not on meth. 
That made me laughing pretty hard.  If you are doing Keto, Boathouse makes chocolate and coconut drinks, that sell at most supermarkets around here.  I messed around a little with them a couple of weeks ago.   My son drinks them also.  They are expensive, but sometimes they are 3 for $5.  I take a big sip when I feel like it.  But no more than half a bottle a day.  The whole bottle is 3 net carbs.  Watermelon also helps defeat want for anything sweet.  Good luck. 

I'm actually working out now. Began to do a few weeks on the treadmill. I'm fitting into things that I hadn't fit into in a while. I'm not documenting it until I get regimented, but I've been dieting and exercising the past few weeks and working my way up in minutes on the elliptical, counting strides and putting in a little effort. I hope I can keep it up. I like fitting into my jeans again, even though they're a touch snug. I haven't done this in years and depended on diet deficiency to keep my weight down. Now I'm burning the calories in a calories-in/calories-out sort of mode.

Good stuff!

It's time.  I've ####ed around long enough.

I've been obese since my early 20's.  Ate like an active athlete in high school and most of college, but I actually was a well-conditioned athlete.  I finished my football days at 255 pounds in great shape.  Once I stopped playing sports, I didn't change the way I ate.  Ballooned up to ~325 within a few years.  I was active at work(surveyor), so I suppose it could've actually been worse.  I hung in the low to mid 300's most of my 20's and 30's.  When I was about 37, a job change moved me to a much lower activity level.  Gradually pushed up to 350-360.

Now, I've never been one to be very public with my mental health.  Not that I felt like I've ever had many serious issues, I just don't share that kind of stuff.  With anybody.  When I was 39, my Dad got real sick in December of that year.  From December to the following April, when he passed, between a month here in Dayton, then January to April at the Cleveland Clinic, I spent almost every night with him.  Was the worst 5 months of my entire life.  I shared some absolutely beautiful moments with him, but the mental and physical toll it took on me didn't really sink in until a few months after he passed.  I knew my weight had gotten worse.  One morning, I decided to jump on the scale. 411 pounds.  I was over 400 ####ing pounds.  The amount of guilt and shame that flooded my brain was completely overwhelming.  I'll freely admit the next 4-5 weeks I legitimately sank into the worst depression of my life.  Combining my health with my Dad passing, it was just too much.  I just collapsed.  I finally started taking to my wife about things I had never shared with her before.  Just seeing the pain in her eyes and seeing the way my kids reacted to my mental state hit a nerve, and I started to work towards improving my health.  Tried every type of diet you could think of.  Started walking in the mornings before work.  I managed to drop down to 360.  Then, in the spring of 2019, I was mowing my yard and stepped in a hole.  Twisted my left knee pretty bad, but ice, rest seemed to do the trick.  But the pain eventually started to come back until it wasn't bearable.  Eventually had an MRI and found a 4cm meniscus tear.  I had surgery to repair the meniscus in October, 2019.

This is where my story enters a whole new phase.  So, when I come out of surgery, I feel like hot garbage.  Can't stay conscious.  My body literally felt like I was in a car wreck.  I take a few hours to recover and the hospital sends me home.  All night and the next morning, the achiness in my muscles just got worse.  My entire body was in a massive cramp.  My muscles were rock hard.  I called my Brother-in-law who is a family doc.  He calls my doctor and they send me for blood work.  Creatine Kinase is a protein that is released in your blood when muscle is being destroyed.  Normal levels are around 200 U/L and critical is 5000 U/L.  My levels came back at 72,000 U/L!!  So, b-i-l calls and sends me to the emergency room ASAP.  I spend 5 days in the hospital on fluids to dilute my blood so the CK doesn't destroy my kidneys.  So, I'm diagnosed with Malignant Hypothermia.  It's a reaction to Succinylcholine, the muscle relaxant component of anesthesia. 

So, this reaction I had destroyed any stamina that my muscles had.  Just existing.  Normal day's activities, I wake up every morning feeling like I payed a football game the night before.  Just beat.  I've tried and tried to pick up my walking schedule again, but every time I do, inevitably I'll pull something, usually in my back or calves, and I quit after only a few times.  I have begun exploring swimming at the Recreation Center here and that seems to be helping.  They have a limited schedule for open swims and I have 3 kids all in extracurricular activities so this has also proven to be a challenge for me.

All through my health journey, I've always tried to focus on being around for my kids.  That's all the motivation that I should need.  I feel guilty as hell, because frankly, that hasn't been the case.  I have taken my health for granted and honestly, a few weeks ago I experienced something that has finally woke me up.  I hope.

So, I went through yet another job change, a promotion this time, to a supervisor position that requires me to spend more time in the field.  On a Friday, I was walking up and down a hill a few times.  When I got back in my truck, I got light-headed and I just couldn't catch my breath.  Took me a minute, but it went away.  I just assumed it was due to being so out of shape.  The very next night, Saturday night I woke up with massive cramps in my stomach.  Had to use the restroom, so I got up and went to the bathroom.  After a few minutes, I started feeling nauseous.  When I feel like I'm going to get sick, I start taking deep breaths.  I hate puking.  Hate it.  So after a minute of breathing, it starts getting difficult to breathe.  I stood up by my sink and put my hand on the doorknob.  I thought, if I'm going to pass out, I can open the door and yell for my wife.  So, this lasts about 5 minutes.  It gradually gets worse, then slowly gets better.  I feel fine after, then go back to bed.  On Monday I call my doctor and let him know what happened and he immediately does and EKG and sends me for a stress test.  Tests come back that have had an 'episode'.  Not quite a heart attack, but he says there was damage done.  This whole thing has scared the #### out of me.  Really shook me.

All this leads up to today.  I have been back on Myfitnesspal, counting calories for a couple weeks.  Trying to stick to under 2400 per day.  I'm drinking a gallon of water each day.  I feel like I've done well, but my weight still wants to hover around the 390 area.  I can't let this deter me this time.  My life literally depends on it.

So, I'm going to put this in a quote box, so I don't take up an entire page.  I don't want this to come off as a sob story, pity-me bull####.  I'm not necessarily looking for tips.  I know what I need to do.  I'm not looking for sympathy.  I've been a total dickbag to myself for most of my life.  I'm not even necessarily looking for accountability.  I don't feel like anybody else should be responsible for my well-being.  This #### is up to me.  I'm going to try to update here somewhat regularly.   Honestly, I just feel better writing all this crap down. 

Hopefully every time I post an update here, I'll be less fat.  That's my goal.   :hifive:

I can’t be sure but my best guess is you’re not a 50 year old woman. We work differently.
I'm 46, with blown discs, torn rotator cuff, and need a hip replacement.  🙂 I have no idea if Keto works differently for males and females though.

Back to the grind...returned from a stay in EU and had a lengthy binge on taquerias

• Dec 28         235.0
  • Jan 26          225.0
  • Feb 23         219.7
  • Aug 23        254.1
  • Sep 23        237.3
Back to 16/8 IF, trying to eat as much vegan when I can.  Staples right now are vegan protein bars, avocado on whole wheat toast with Tajin (can't believe I just discovered this), hummus with celery, chipotle black beans with Quinoa.  Gotta get back, and stay on track

eta---bong rips didn't help much either.

He’s incorrect for all sexes. Diet and exercise are both important.
Plenty of people lose weight without exercising and they probably improve their health in the process.  That being said, exercise is very important for your health for a bunch of reasons, not just as measured on the scale.  If you truly want to improve your health, you should exercise if physically able.   It doesn’t have to be a complicated program either   Taking a decently paced walk for 30 minutes most days can make a difference   

Plenty of people lose weight without exercising and they probably improve their health in the process.  That being said, exercise is very important for your health for a bunch of reasons, not just as measured on the scale.  If you truly want to improve your health, you should exercise if physically able.   It doesn’t have to be a complicated program either   Taking a decently paced walk for 30 minutes most days can make a difference   
Absolutely. Maintaining a healthy weight is great, but cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength and flexibility also add to quality (and quantity) of life.

Found this article:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/obesity-exercising-not-dieting-may-be-key-to-avoiding-health-risks

It resonates as truth to me but I don’t like it. Why can’t I just sit here, not eat ice cream, and lose weight and be happy? And is there a trick or mind game I can play to make we want to exercise?
Every single day you are in a fight against muscular atrophy that gets harder as you age.  Every time you struggle to climb the stairs or feel uncomfortable putting on your shoes, every time you get sore from doing basic chores, every time you wake up sore from sleeping weird, remind yourself that your muscles are not what they once were and that it will only get harder if you don't exercise.  Forget how it makes you look, you're not motivated by that and besides you're smoking hot for a 50 year old with 40 kids.  Forget the supposed effect on your health that some article on the internet said it might have.  Just focus on having a good quality of life where you're not a little old lady who can barely walk because her legs are too weak and is in constant pain because she's not strong enough to perform basic life tasks without getting sore. It's real and it's happening to all of us so get in shape while you still can and not just the occasional cardio but real, full body workouts that burn some calories and get your whole body fitter. You have the choice of what kind of 60 year old you want to be just like you had the choice what kind of 50 year old you wanted to be.  

My last month has been an absolute nightmare.  My basement flooded, so I had to rip up carpet and get rid of stuff and I couldn't use my basement gym for a while. My brother in law had a heart attack, which threw us all for a loop. The school lost my kid on his first day of school and put him on a busnhe wasn't supposed to go on and almost left him alone on a busy street so I've been working to make sure that never happens again.

And my father had a stroke so I had to fly down and see him and slept in the hospital room with him for a week.  I was able to get in some walking and light exercise but it wasn't exactly conducive to getting fit.  I ate comfort food and fast food more than I should but at least I couldn't drink in the hospital. He's going to need a long time to recover. 

I've been back home and running all week.  My heart rate goes way up doing runs that were my light recovery run a month or two ago, but I'm trying to do 70 minutes on the treadmill even if it's 20 minute walk, 30 minute run, 20 minute walk right now.  Easy to spend an hour on the treadmill during football season. I'd like to get back to my 7 mile runs but will have to work back to it after the layoff. I had been slacking a bit before all this stuff happened so it's not surprising that I have to play catch up.  Life happens. But it sucks sometimes. 

This is spot on.   My mom lost 70 lbs in an 18-month span without exercise.  Purely by eating healthier/smarter.   But she never added back in even mild to moderate exercise after losing the weight she wanted to lose......and now that she's in her mid-70s, she's paying the price.   She walks with a cane and is very "tippy", lacks confidence in her ability to be out in the world.   She isn't unhappy about how things are, but she also doesn't believe there is anything that could have been done to change the situation.    But to her credit, she continues to eat (mostly) healthy and has (mostly) kept the excess weight off.

My last month has been an absolute nightmare.  My basement flooded, so I had to rip up carpet and get rid of stuff and I couldn't use my basement gym for a while. My brother in law had a heart attack, which threw us all for a loop. The school lost my kid on his first day of school and put him on a busnhe wasn't supposed to go on and almost left him alone on a busy street so I've been working to make sure that never happens again.

And my father had a stroke so I had to fly down and see him and slept in the hospital room with him for a week.  I was able to get in some walking and light exercise but it wasn't exactly conducive to getting fit.  I ate comfort food and fast food more than I should but at least I couldn't drink in the hospital. He's going to need a long time to recover. 

I've been back home and running all week.  My heart rate goes way up doing runs that were my light recovery run a month or two ago, but I'm trying to do 70 minutes on the treadmill even if it's 20 minute walk, 30 minute run, 20 minute walk right now.  Easy to spend an hour on the treadmill during football season. I'd like to get back to my 7 mile runs but will have to work back to it after the layoff. I had been slacking a bit before all this stuff happened so it's not surprising that I have to play catch up.  Life happens. But it sucks sometimes. 
That sounds like a whole lot of rough stuff at once BF.  Very sorry about your dad and BIL.  Hope they both recover as much as possible.   Saw the thread about your son & the school bus.  Just insane.  Glad he's ok.

Good to see you back here in this thread.   You helped a ton of people by getting this started.  

I exercise plenty in the bedroom.

That's where I fold towels.

This is spot on.   My mom lost 70 lbs in an 18-month span without exercise.  Purely by eating healthier/smarter.   But she never added back in even mild to moderate exercise after losing the weight she wanted to lose......and now that she's in her mid-70s, she's paying the price.   She walks with a cane and is very "tippy", lacks confidence in her ability to be out in the world.   She isn't unhappy about how things are, but she also doesn't believe there is anything that could have been done to change the situation.    But to her credit, she continues to eat (mostly) healthy and has (mostly) kept the excess weight off.
https://youtu.be/-Ts01MC2mIo

Lots of seniors find chair yoga helpful, just working back strength in minor muscle groups and slowly building up the major muscle groups and then the stabilizers. 

Also a good exercise for people who have difficulty with lower leg confidence is to hold onto a wall or stable surface and slowly lift your right foot slightly and hold yourself up with the other.  Hold for a moment and set it down.  Next time, hold it a little longer.  When you're ready, try tapping that raised foot in front of you.(12 o clock).  Then back.  Then try tapping it to the side (3 o clock).  Then back. Then six o clock. And back. Switch legs and do the same at 12, 9, 6.  Eventually you'll build up to being able to do 12, 3, 6, 3 and 12 again without bringing your foot back to center.

This works for fit younger people too.  Stand without holding anything to make it more difficult.  I do it standing on a bosu/half ball thingy.  That's a lot harder obviously. 

It's a great exercise because it works whatever leg muscles are weakest in your legs- for me I feel it mostly in my right hip but more in my left calf and quad.  Sometimes that changes depending where I'm sore and what I've done recently for exercise. 

I meant to lose weight.  Of course exercise us good.  But you don't need it to lose weight.
When you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle. I'm not a big keto fan but one thing that's good is that you have plenty of protein to stave off muscle loss - but you still lose muscle. 

It's almost impossible to add significant muscle mass during weight loss because you don't have the excess energy to build muscles but you can strengthen and improve your cardio/aerobic health.  If you don't do it while losing weight you'll have even more to do later. 

If you've ever seen a fat guy who lost weight you'll notice they usually have big calves.  You need that muscle to hold up a big body and when you lose the fat around it it looks good.  The same isn't true of your core and back and arms and most of the rest of your muscle groups.  I was never a big exercise guy and I'm not doing it for aesthetics, I just want to be able to do things as I get older. Losing weight was awesome for my overall health but exercise has been a big part of my improved health too. 

Seeing my brother in law, who is my age and weighed about the same as me two years ago, have a heart attack was eye opening.  I asked him to join me in a biggest loser challenge back then, he said no and didn't have time.  He's since gained some weight while I've lost a bunch and he probably weights a hundred more pounds than I do now.  He's strong, but doesn't run much and doesn't get good sleep.  I'd really encourage you to consider exercise as part of your progress towards health including some each of cardio, strength and flexibility.  It's a lot more fun after you e lost some weight and get to enjoy seeing what your new body can do. 

This Keto thing is easy for me honestly.  I like eating like this, and not keeping track of numbers.  I just don't eat many carbs basically.  So far, so good.
We just finished a week long 20 guy golf trip to Bandon Dunes. Drank too much, ate more than usual. But walked 7-8 miles per day so not bad. But man the guy who did the shopping was obviously a keto fan. Or at least Atkins. I mean 12 packs of bacon, 3 huge rolls of breakfast sausage, ham steaks, even 2 huge summer sausage rolls. Enough nitrates and salt to kill a horse. I eat protein and salad mostly but not a fan of this. Back to eating great. Walking my daughter down the aisle late next month so want to be in great shape for that. Back all in

We just finished a week long 20 guy golf trip to Bandon Dunes. Drank too much, ate more than usual. But walked 7-8 miles per day so not bad. But man the guy who did the shopping was obviously a keto fan. Or at least Atkins. I mean 12 packs of bacon, 3 huge rolls of breakfast sausage, ham steaks, even 2 huge summer sausage rolls. Enough nitrates and salt to kill a horse. I eat protein and salad mostly but not a fan of this. Back to eating great. Walking my daughter down the aisle late next month so want to be in great shape for that. Back all in
That's dirty keto, not "normal" keto.

I lean on the dirty keto side

That’s a lot to go through BF. Getting back to your normal will get you there. Thanks for all your encouragement to the rest of us even as you face your own challenges. 

Best to you, BF. I check here in occasionally for the encouragement. I'm fitting into clothes I couldn't fit into months ago. This thread helps just by way of thinking about fitness. I hope your life gets a little more normal and that some news comes about your loved ones that is better than the news and situations you've been dealing with. 

I'm eating giant celery stalks slathered in pub cheese.  My new favorite keto snack.  

Sitting outside, grilling sweet Italian sausage and teriyaki chicken thighs while I snack.  Good times.

215.8 today, first time since the beginning that I've had an up week. -.5 pounds from last week, 60.2 overall. Diet has backslid. Been working from home 50% of the time and it's much tougher to make it until 5 PM when I'm home. My wife has also slipped a bit, so there have been a couple more nights of microwave popcorn. Goal for the end of the month is 215, so still on track.

I desperately need to up the amount of exercise I'm getting as well. Again, it's easier at work. I can take 20 minutes and go for a walk to touch base with guys on the floor. At home, I'm incommunicado if I leave the computer for 20 minutes. Excuses, excuses...
212.9 today, back on track this week. 2.9 pounds down last week and 63.1 overall. Hit 9-10K+ steps on 6 of the 7 days. Calories in the 1.5-2K range all week. Still haven't ramped up specific exercise (running/exercise bike), so am starting to adjust my goal. Had been 5 pounds a month to hit 200 by end of December, but think it's time to work harder. Going to push to see if I can get there by the end of October. Working 4 days a week of strenuous exercise into my plan could be enough. 

When I look in the mirror, I don't see much of a difference. It's easy to fool yourself as the weight goes on. I still see a 25 year old looking back at me. Looking at pictures tells a different story.

212.9 today, back on track this week. 2.9 pounds down last week and 63.1 overall. Hit 9-10K+ steps on 6 of the 7 days. Calories in the 1.5-2K range all week. Still haven't ramped up specific exercise (running/exercise bike), so am starting to adjust my goal. Had been 5 pounds a month to hit 200 by end of December, but think it's time to work harder. Going to push to see if I can get there by the end of October. Working 4 days a week of strenuous exercise into my plan could be enough. 

When I look in the mirror, I don't see much of a difference. It's easy to fool yourself as the weight goes on. I still see a 25 year old looking back at me. Looking at pictures tells a different story.
Yep the pictures are the big one.  I look in a mirror and am like I dont look too bad, (obviously not like when i was a fit 25 year old) but then I see a picture and am like man I need to lose weight

i will say having a heart attack and 3 stints will force you to lose some weight.   had to switch to greek diet, lots of fish, light dairy and sugar,  avoid processed foods.  eat mostly veggies with some fish or eggs or beans for protein needs.    

i will say having a heart attack and 3 stints will force you to lose some weight.   had to switch to greek diet, lots of fish, light dairy and sugar,  avoid processed foods.  eat mostly veggies with some fish or eggs or beans for protein needs.    
Yep.  Amazing how your #'s will drop.  Some of it will be meds but diet is a huge factor.  Keep it up.  I sure don't want to feel that again.  Scary stuff.

AAABatteries said:
Fantastic!  How did you do it?  
Optavia 5&1 plan....5 "fuelings" (bars, shakes, snacks, desserts, savory items) a day and 1 lean & green meal (lean proteins, green, lower carb veggies), healthy fats.  Easiest plan I've ever followed to lose weight.  I never imagined I would lose 150+ lbs.  You have a coach, super supportive online community, materials that help educate you and help you work on your mindset (which was the real difference maker for me).  Was a game-changer for me.  My 16 year old daughter actually just hit 50 lbs gone this past Wednesday and my wife is a few lbs away from 50 gone over the last 5 months.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gaoQefSurrbi8JHB6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YKXm5e2FErQJB5Ki9

Users who are viewing this thread