What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leonte Carroo, WR MIA: I've seen DeVante Parker and you, sir, are no DeVante Parker. (1 Viewer)

Miami Herald reports third-round WR Leonte Carroo has had a "good camp," and the Dolphins are "eager to see more."

"He's been making some positive plays," coach Adam Gase said. "His biggest thing is mentally, what are we going to do? Is he going to keep growing? Are we going to get stuck? Are we going to have that rookie wall hit? He's going to keep rolling on that." Carroo is an upside prospect who had a solid offseason, but will have trouble earning targets behind Jarvis Landry, DeVante Parker, Kenny Stills, Arian Foster and even Jordan Cameron.

Source: Miami Herald

How'd he look last night?  Early word was he's a more talented Landry.  Obviously I wouldn't expect him to usurp Landry just yet but is he looking good?  

The fantasy stud list is too.  That's actually how most of them start.  You can be dismissive in order to fit your preconceptions if you want I suppose but it's false to say Parker didn't show much last year.  He showed very well in the limited healthy chances he had.
Update?

Dolphins coach Adam Gase conceded Tuesday that third-round pick Leonte Carroo "has got a little ways to go."
Gase mostly praised Carroo, commending him for his talent and work habits. But he also hinted at why Carroo hasn't made a run yet for work in three-receiver sets. "He doesn't know some of the things he needs to know to help himself," said Gase. "That (comes) a little bit from experience." Parker is the Dolphins' No. 4 receiver behind Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, and DeVante Parker.

Source: Miami Herald 
Aug 30 - 3:25 PM

Will be lucky to crack top 4 this season. He is a project. I love his physical upside. Remains to be seen what is between the ears at this level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow this rookie train down.  Looks like Carroo is not going to even dress early on...speculation is he may be be inactive week 1.

Good news for Arian Foster, Jelani Jenkins; Bad news for DeVante Parker

Gase said wide receiver DeVante Parker has actually had injuries to bothhamstrings and he did not dispute the notion that Parker may not play this week. Gase has not decided who Miami’s third receiver would be.

One option would be to move Jarvis Landry outside and utilize Jakeem Grant in the slot. Another option would be to use Dion Sims as a frequent in-line blocker and split tight end Jordan Cameron as a receiver.

Even newly-signed Justin Hunter could be a consideration, if the decision were made to go with the veteran over rookie Leonte Carroo.
Considering that Hunter just joined the team a few days ago and according to the depth chart is playing behind Stills at Z WR. I am not sure how Carroo isn't the best option if Parker does not play.

I read Griff Whalen is outperforming Carroo at the moment and Grant could be used for ST. It's all speculation.  

Carroo...Dynasty stash folks. He is far from NFL ready right now.
Who do you think will play the most in the situation where Parker cannot play?

The article above presents 3 different scenarios.

I did read that Landry is saying they will not avoid Sherman. Which somewhat suggests that he is anticipating that match up.

Whalen was cut to make room for Hunter.
Thank you.  It's tough keeping up with all the moves which is why I come here.   I am really excited about Carroo'said long term prospects. He may be struggling a tad now, but circumstances may necessitate his moving up the depth chart. Thanks again for the news on Whalen being cut to make room for Hunter.

I did read that Landry is saying they will not avoid Sherman. Which somewhat suggests that he is anticipating that match up.
Any ideas on how productive Landry could be with Sherman shadowing him?  Feel like I need to temper expectations against Seattle.

Any ideas on how productive Landry could be with Sherman shadowing him?  Feel like I need to temper expectations against Seattle.
I don't see that happening.  Sherman playes the LCB spot, and doesn't move around too much.  

The only time Landry is that close to the sideline is when he is running off the field.   :D

Landry is still startable this week, IMO.  He's a target monster.  8 catches for 90 yards, that kind of line I could see.  

I am not entirely sure.

As massraider points out Landry mostly plays out of the slot while Sherman plays LCB. I do think there have been times when Sherman is used to follow a specific WR in man, but they are often playing cover 3 and Sheman will just play his side.

Gase will no doubt scheme Landry to get open so I wouldn't be concerned about it. Just Landry talking some smack before the game.

You will see a lot of double TE set's this week with Sims, Stills, Landry, Grant and even Hunter will play ahead of Caroo.

Expect Arian to be lined out wide sometimes as as well as Damien Williams.

Caroo is a project right now. I love his upside. But his time is certainly not now.

Hello everyone, I have kept my mouth shut on Carroo mostly because I think Miami is still figuring everything out. From the depth charts and such I am going to share what I find and then you can make an informed decision here. 

Parker is likely OUT this Sunday if that's not official it will be soon. I think it is important to talk about Parker and some of the tidbits coming out of DolphinsWorld, word is that Parker was very immature as a rookie and that's why Campbell refused to play him when he assumed controls until much later in the season. 

Parker was drafted by this GM and Philbin, Gase has no allegiance to Parker and just for the record...Stephen Ross hired Adam Gase not Mike Tannenbaum who wanted to hire former Bills HC Doug Marrone, oh yeah that's a fact Jack. So I think Gase is doing what he feels is right with the full backing of ownership. 

Enter Carroo who I agree with some others is not ready for the NFL yet.  But it should be noted that he plays or practices the position that Parker plays, SE-Right. Landry is the slot, Stills is Wide Left. So in theory if Parker goes down then Carroo should see some action. 

Will that play out well in Week 1 vs Seattle? I think Miami is smart enough to try and work a guy with some experience into that role instead of Carroo but eventually he is going to get some targets in this offense...Miami traded like 3 picks to move up and get the guy, he rated 3rd in rookie WR grades by Rotoworld. 

I would just watch and observe. 

As a dynasty owner I'm curious to see him in action, whenever that happens. They certainly gave up a lot to acquire him. Just need some patience now...

If Stills signs elsewhere, I think you will find that to be the perfect time to SELL Carroo in FF.

I think Carroo is Miami's insurance in case a) Landry wants more than they are willing to pay next year, or b) Parker busts. A 3 wide set of Landry-Parker-Carroo seems to lack a downfield presence (unless you want to make that Parker's primary role, which I think would not be optimal for Miami's offense).

What to make of Carroo's 2017 prospects with Stills being re-signed?
I really liked his game coming out of college but it is hard not to sour on hm being a factor. I doubt MIA ever lets Landry leave and they seemed to really want Stills back. Just with those two you have some issues with targets and then you throw in Parker who is ahead of him and a new TE Thomas. He would have to blow the doors off he place this offseason to make some noise. I foresee him taking a similar path as Cody Latimer in a way that his first chance might be his second team unless things change drastically.

According to sources, the Dolphins believe there can be a turnaround in 2017.

Sources say Coach Adam Gase has told his coaching staff that he believes he’s finally figured out how to make Carroo pay dividends. Gase is apparently optimistic Carroo can still be what the Dolphins believed they were getting when they picked him out of Rutgers.

It is unclear exactly what Gase has uncovered that he believes will ignite Carroo’s career. No doubt, today when Gase meets the media for breakfast at the NFL annual meeting, he will be asked about Carroo and the team’s plans for him.

Last year, the team initially asked Carroo to learn all three wide receiver positions because, well, there was a belief he could handle it the work load. The belief was misguided.

And as Carroo failed to show consistency in practice while DeVante Parker got healthy, Kenny Stills turned in a career year and Jarvis Landry did what Jarvis Landry has always done, Carroo got less playing time. Team sources believe Carroo became disappointed in himself and moped.

There will be no room for that sort of reaction in 2017.

The Dolphins do not believe Leonte Carroo is a bust.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article141179873.html#storylink=cpy

Big Rutgers guy here. One big problem with our former horrific coach/staff was that they had absolutely no imagination when it came to the offense. Guys were slotted into roles and used pretty much exclusively. When Carroo got hurt, his promising backup played and played well. When Carroo was back on the field, that backup sat while a much less talented/productive receiver started on the other side of the field...because that was his role, and the backup wasn't ever challenged to fill that slot.

So it's not a surprise to me that he had issues learning three positions in the pros. But the guy has the potential to be extremely productive if things click for him and he finally gets some consistent QB play (another huge issue for him at Rutgers). 

Big Rutgers guy here. One big problem with our former horrific coach/staff was that they had absolutely no imagination when it came to the offense. Guys were slotted into roles and used pretty much exclusively. When Carroo got hurt, his promising backup played and played well. When Carroo was back on the field, that backup sat while a much less talented/productive receiver started on the other side of the field...because that was his role, and the backup wasn't ever challenged to fill that slot.

So it's not a surprise to me that he had issues learning three positions in the pros. But the guy has the potential to be extremely productive if things click for him and he finally gets some consistent QB play (another huge issue for him at Rutgers). 
Which WR role did he primarily play in college?

For Gases 3 WR sets Landry is the slot, Stills is the Z and Parker the X.

I kind of thought Carroo would compete with Stills to play the Z but with them re-signing Stills that does not seem available to him.

Could this be talk about Carroo playing the X WR position over Parker?

Which WR role did he primarily play in college?

For Gases 3 WR sets Landry is the slot, Stills is the Z and Parker the X.

I kind of thought Carroo would compete with Stills to play the Z but with them re-signing Stills that does not seem available to him.

Could this be talk about Carroo playing the X WR position over Parker?
Carroo was the X.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/358314/'Far-from-certain'-Leonte-Carroo-makes-roster

According to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, it is "far from certain" that 2016 third-round WR Leonte Carroo even makes the Dolphins' 53-man roster

Jeff Risdon 

@JeffRisdon

And before anyone is like "go sign Caroo", he's getting cut because he isn't a football player. Your team's coach isn't going to change that

12:59 PM - 26 May 2017

Jeff RisdonVerified account @JeffRisdon  47m47 minutes ago

More

Jeff Risdon Retweeted Nick

Rutgers people straight up told us he didn't play vs Michigan b/c he just didn't want to play against Jourdan Lewis.

Second-year Dolphins WR Leonte Carroo is "battling" with 2016 UDFA Rashawn Scott for a reserve receiver spot.

The Miami Herald reported last month that Carroo's 53-man roster spot is not assured, and this would seem to confirm that. Speaking Monday, Dolphins ST coordinator Darren Rizzi did say Carroo has improved, taking the offseason more seriously and reporting in excellent shape. Carroo will be on notice from Day 1 in camp.

Related: Rashawn Scott

Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter 

Jun 5 - 1:37 PM

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 7h7 hours ago

The #Dolphins have placed WR Albert Wilson (hip) on Injured Reserve and promoted former third-rounder Leonte Carroo to the active roster.

Hey, kids, he was one of my favorite WRs in his rookie year until the Dolphins drafted him...maybe he finally gets his chance.

He is on waivers in most dynasty leagues at the moment. So you can't beat the price, as you can get him for nothing.

voiceofunreason said:
He's not free,  I need to use a roster spot so hes massively overpriced.
Everyone should have at least one roster spot to take a weekly flyer on - and I always do. Most don't work out, but it is worth it for the few times you do strike gold.

Matt Waldman and Matt Harmon were both bullish on Carroo in 2016 https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/07/06/rsp-film-room-no-84-wr-leonte-carroo/ but with the competition he never really got the opportunity and/or the necessary reps to succeed if he was given the opportunity. I am not really expecting much tonight, but if I don't see something promising, I will simply move on to another crapshoot player next week.

Everyone should have at least one roster spot to take a weekly flyer on - and I always do. Most don't work out, but it is worth it for the few times you do strike gold.

Matt Waldman and Matt Harmon were both bullish on Carroo in 2016 https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/07/06/rsp-film-room-no-84-wr-leonte-carroo/ but with the competition he never really got the opportunity and/or the necessary reps to succeed if he was given the opportunity. I am not really expecting much tonight, but if I don't see something promising, I will simply move on to another crapshoot player next week.
So instead of having a good player on your roster, you save a spot for a crappy one. Nice.

So instead of having a good player on your roster, you save a spot for a crappy one. Nice.
Yeah that’s not what he’s doing. 

You think of his flier turns into a great player he will drop him?

I mean most leagues (esp large dynasty leagues) the last few players on anyone’s bench are fliers. 

In my dynasty league the top few agent WRs are Ryan Grant, Dorsett, Torrey Smith, Tajae Sharp and Jarius Wright   

Yeah that’s not what he’s doing. 

You think of his flier turns into a great player he will drop him?

I mean most leagues (esp large dynasty leagues) the last few players on anyone’s bench are fliers. 

In my dynasty league the top few agent WRs are Ryan Grant, Dorsett, Torrey Smith, Tajae Sharp and Jarius Wright   
If you're saving a space for a weekly flyer (which is what he said he's doing), you're assuming that the flavor of the week is better than the players on your roster. And that that will be consistently true.

Of course you work the waiver wire, but the idea of "saving a spot" for waiver pickups doesn't make any sense. If the waiver WRs are so crappy why would you think they're better than what you have? 

In this specific case, do you think Leonte Carroo, who has 10 receptions in his first 2.5 years, is better than Tajae Sharpe? 

If you're saving a space for a weekly flyer (which is what he said he's doing), you're assuming that the flavor of the week is better than the players on your roster. And that that will be consistently true.

Of course you work the waiver wire, but the idea of "saving a spot" for waiver pickups doesn't make any sense. If the waiver WRs are so crappy why would you think they're better than what you have? 

In this specific case, do you think Leonte Carroo, who has 10 receptions in his first 2.5 years, is better than Tajae Sharpe? 
No. I’m not advocating for Carroo. 

I would imagine if his ‘crappy pickup’ 2 years ago was Thielen he’s gonna keep him. 

But - I would rather have a rotating flier spot than hold guys like Torrey Smith who have shown who they are. Even if they score more points that a flier has to date. 

Users who are viewing this thread