What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest FBG music countdown of >800 artists - #2 The Rolling Stones, #1 The Allman Brothers Band (1 Viewer)

I agree with you regarding the volatility of Queen's output, although I would say they have a high ceiling/relatively high floor - very valuable in PPR leagues. I think part of it comes from their artistic talent/bent in addition to the instrumental talent - they tried to push some barriers and some of it worked great, some not as much. From the debut album through The Game, their output was IMO as good as all but a small group of bands over that period. I'm not a fan of the post-The Game stuff, although they had a few good moments.

36. Little Feat (221 points)

Total number of songs: 40

Average song score: 3.55

# of 5-point songs: 7

# of 4-point songs: 16

Top 50 track bonus: #3 Roll Um Easy; #44 Dixie Chicken (live at The Rainbow Theatre, London, 1977)

Personnel bonus: #17 songwriter Lowell George

Recommended listening: A Apolitical Blues (live at The Rainbow Theatre, London, 1977); Dixie Chicken (live at The Rainbow Theatre, London, 1977); Fat Man in a Bathtub (live in Washington D.C., 1977); Mercenary Territory (live at The Rainbow Theatre, London, 1977); Roll Um Easy; Skin It Back (live at The Orpheum Theatre, Boston, 1975); Spanish Moon (live in Washington D.C., 1977); Teenage Nervous Breakdown (live in London, 1975); Two Trains (live at The Orpheum Theatre, Boston, 1975); Willin’; Willin’ (live in Washington D.C., 1977)

I think there was a thread, though I can’t remember which one, in which @timschochet mentioned not having much to say about Little Feat. I was shocked. Partially because I respect Tim’s musical knowledge. Partially because they are from his neck of the woods. And mostly because I consider them to be one of the greatest bands in American music history.

Of all the musicians who died way too young (Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, etc.), my favorite is obviously Duane Allman. Number 2 is probably Little Feat frontman Lowell George. There are only a handful of musicians who got serious consideration for the top 20 on my musician list three times (as a songwriter, a vocalist, and an instrumentalist). Lowell is one of those few. You see that he got a bonus for songwriting. George got his start playing with The Mothers of Invention, but according to at least one story, Frank Zappa fired him because he was too talented and Zappa didn’t want to hold him back.

Even without George, however, Little Feat probably was a top 100 band all-time. Paul Barrere is probably one of my 50 favorite guitarists, Bill Payne is one of my 10 favorite rock pianists, and Fred Tackett was a phenomenal multi-instrumentalist.

Their style is awesome, with a great and really unique blend of southern rock, blues, country, and jazz. They are essentially a jam band every bit as much as The Grateful Dead or The Allman Brothers, and you can see by all the above recommendations that they were incredible live. But while I primarily think of them as a live band, they also recorded by all-time favorite studio track (“Roll Um Easy” is third on my favorite tracks list, but the two above it are both live recordings).

Most of the above live recordings come from Waiting For Columbus, which I consider one of the 10 greatest live albums ever. All of the tracks from 1977 except “Teenage Nervous Breakdown” come from that album. That track is not actually in my library but is very similar to a version from the 1975 bootleg album Hellzapoppin (from which the above versions of “Skin It Back” and “Two Trains” are also taken). Mick Taylor plays on the above version of “A Apolitical Blues.”

And yes, the spelling of “Feat” is a tribute to The Beatles.

A little sad and surprised that we have no Little Feat fans on the board. Moving on...

35. Lynyrd Skynyrd (225 points)

Total number of songs: 41

Average song score: 3.83

# of 5-point songs: 13

# of 4-point songs: 12

Top 50 track bonus: #8 Freebird (live at The Fox Theatre, 1976)

Personnel bonus: #18 songwriter Ronnie Van Zant

Recommended listening: The Ballad of Curtis Loew; Call Me the Breeze (live at The Fox Theatre, 1976); Freebird (live at The Fox Theatre, 1976); Free Bird (live in Dallas, 1987); Gimme Three Steps; I Ain’t the One; I Know a Little (live at The Omni, 1987); Simple Man; Sweet Home Alabama (live at The Omni, 1987); That Smell; T for Texas, Blue Yodel #1 (live at The Fox Theatre, 1976); Tuesday’s Gone; Whiskey Rock-a-Roller

Clearly I love guitars, and while they may not be the first band to use a triple guitar attack, no one has done it better than Lynyrd Skynyrd. I’d rank several of the above tracks among the greatest guitar tracks ever. But actually it is the beautiful piano playing of Billy Powell that separates Skynyrd from other guitar bands and makes them really interesting to me.

The band has obviously undergone numerous lineup changes over the years and I’m sure everyone knows the story of the plane crash. The lineup just before the plane crash, when Steve Gaines was really taking a prominent role as the third guitarist along with Allen Collins and Gary Rossington, is probably my favorite. I love what Gaines brought on songs like “That Smell.”

The above songs listed as being at The Fox come from the album One More for From the Road, their only live album to feature original leader Ronnie Van Zant. The other live tracks here come Southern By the Grace of God, recordings made on their 1987 tribute tour, the first tour following the plane crash. While not the same as the original, this version of the band is still really good and Johnny Van Zant does a great job stepping in for his brother.

It’s cliché to call for “Freebird” at concerts, but that doesn’t matter to me because it is just a really great song. It is hard to imagine a list of top rock songs that didn’t have an extended live version of the song.

I really dig that Curtis Loew track

The character is based on several people Ronnie Van Zant knew in childhood, including Shorty Medlocke. Shorty is the grandfather of Blackfoot guitarist Rickey Medlocke and wrote one of their most famous songs, "Train, Train." Rickey plays guitar with the current Skynyrd lineup and early in their career also played some drums for them.

34. George Harrison (233 points)

Total number of songs: 55

Average song score: 3.53

# of 4-point songs: 22

Top 50 track bonus: none

Personnel bonus: none

Recommended listening: All Things Must Pass; Bangla Desh (live from The Concert for Bangladesh); Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth); Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth (live in Japan, 1991); If I Needed Someone (live in Japan, 1991); Isn’t It a Pity; I Want to Tell You (live in Japan, 1991); Plug Me In; Run of the Mill; Sue Me, Sue You Blues; Thanks for the Pepperoni; Wah-wah; What Is Life; When We Was Fab; While My Guitar Gently Weeps (live from The Concert for Bangladesh)

We have a third Beatle off the board. I mentioned in the Lennon entry that of the four, George probably had my favorite solo career. Paul (who hasn’t appeared yet) just happens to have more songs in my library.

George is an interesting solo entry because he could have been a lot higher. I mentioned in the Little Feat entry that there are only a handful of artists who received serious consideration for bonuses in each of the songwriter, vocalist, and instrumentalist categories. Unlike Lowell George, this George didn’t quite make the cut in any of them (he literally missed songwriter by one spot, finishing at #21).

It should come as no surprise that a lot of the recommended tracks come from All Things Must Pass. It is an incredible album and I’d argue up there with nearly anything The Beatles did. That being said, I think I’ve mentioned in another thread that my favorite solo tune by any former Beatle is “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth).”

Rather than posting any George covers in this entry (Warren Haynes does a pretty awesome cover of “Give Me Love”) I’ll instead post one of my all-time favorite George moments.

33. Muddy Waters (236 points)

Total number of songs: 72

Average song score: 2.49

# of 5-point songs: 5

# of 4-point songs: 9

Personnel bonus: #6 vocalist Muddy Waters

Recommended listening: Champagne and Reefer (live at The Checkerboard Lounge, 1981); Goodbye Newport Blues (live at The Newport Jazz Festival, 1960); Got My Mojo Working; Hoochie Coochie Man; I Just Want to Make Love to You; Mannish Boy; My Sweet Little Baby (live at Ebbets Field, 1973); Next Time You See Me (live at The Checkerboard Lounge, 1981); Rollin’ Stone; Trouble No More; You Need Love

“Blues at its most.” That’s how Robbie Robertson introduced Muddy Waters at The Last Waltz. Muddy Waters is quite simply the most important musician in the history of modern blues music.

Muddy, real name McKinley Morganfield, is one of the greatest vocalists who ever lived. He was also a fine guitarist and harmonica player. Maybe most importantly, he had a deep knowledge of the blues and was an outstanding bandleader. He surrounded himself with the best of the Chicago blues musicians–guys like Buddy Guy, Willie Dixon, Little Walter, and Otis Spann–and together they did the definitive recordings of many of the genre’s most iconic songs.

Of the above tracks, there are a number that deserve special mention. In the Willie Dixon entry I described how “You Need Love” became Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.” “Trouble No More” is famously the first song The Allman Brothers Band recorded. In the Bo Diddley entry I described how “Mannish Boy” was a response to Diddley’s “I’m a Man.” “Rollin’ Stone” evolved from the delta blues song “Catfish Blues” and itself eventually evolved into Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Child Blues.” It was also the source of the name of The Rolling Stones. And, of course, “Hoochie Coochie Man” (also frequently covered by The Allman Brothers) may be the most famous blues song ever.

32. Charlie Parker (237 points)

Total number of songs: 101

Average song score: 2.45

# of 5-point songs: 2

# of 4-point songs: 7

Recommended listening: Billie’s Bounce; Bird Gets the Worm; Bloomdido; Carvin’ the Bird; Chasin’ the Bird; Crazeology; Donna Lee; Kim; Ko-Ko; Leap Frog; Now’s the Time; Parker’s Mood; Relaxin’ at Camarillo; Tiny’s Tempo; Yardbird Suite

Way back in the Dizzy Gillespie entry I said that I attributed a big part of Dizzy’s success to his partnership with another jazz legend. Charlie “Bird” Parker is obviously who I meant.

Parker was a virtuoso saxophonist who greatly expanded the scope of jazz improvisation through his free use of the chromatic scale for key changes. He relates his development of this style of soloing: “"I was jamming in a chili house on Seventh Avenue between 139th and 140th. It was December 1939. Now I'd been getting bored with the stereotyped changes that were being used all the time at the time, and I kept thinking there's bound to be something else. I could hear it sometimes but I couldn't play it ... Well, that night I was working over 'Cherokee' and, as I did, I found that by using the higher intervals of a chord as a melody line and backing them with appropriately related changes, I could play the thing I'd been hearing. I came alive."

Charlie is best known as one of the pioneers of bepop, but he was a master of a range of jazz styles and also had great appreciation for classical music. His two most popular albums during his lifetime bear the name Charlie Parker with Strings and fuse these two genres.

As I alluded to, though, Parker’s greatest work was his collaborations with Dizzy Gillespie, perhaps captured best in the Jazz at Massey Hall album. This concert featured one of the greatest jazz quintets ever assembled: Parker, Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach.

I’ve mentioned in other threads that Allman Brothers Band guitarists Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes were huge admirers of Parker and wrote the instrumental “Kind of Bird” as a tribute to him. You can read more about the song here.

31. Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes (240 points)

Total number of songs: 40

Average song score: 3.73

# of 5-point songs: 11

Personnel bonus: #10 vocalist Chris Robinson (partial bonus); #3 guitarist Jimmy Page (partial bonus); #10 drummer Steve Gorman (partial bonus); #8 miscellaneous/multi-instrumentalist (piano) Eddie Harsch (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Celebration Day (live at The Greek, 1999); Custard Pie (live at The Greek, 1999); Hots On for Nowhere (live at Jones Beach, 2000); Mellow Down Easy (live at The Greek, 1999); Shake Your Money Maker (live at The Greek, 1999); Sick Again (live at Jones Beach, 2000); Ten Years Gone (live at Jones Beach, 2000); The Wanton Song (Live in Pittsburgh, 2000); What Is and What Should Never Be (live at The Greek, 1999)

When The Black Crowes were on the European leg of their Amorica tour, they played a series of shows at Royal Albert Hall. After the second show, Robert Plant, who had a previous relationship with the Crowes (they refer to him as Uncle Bob), walked in with Jimmy Page. Jimmy had seen the show and was very complimentary, especially impressed with their improvisational jams.

A week later, the Crowes were playing a show in Paris and Jimmy was again in attendance. The band ran into him at the end of one of the sets and asked Jimmy if he would join them for an encore. Chris Robinson: “No worries, we’ll just play a couple of old blues.” Page took them up on the offer and joined them for “Shake Your Money Maker” and “Mellow Down Easy.”

Several years later Jimmy was looking for a backing band for a charity show in London and the band’s photographer made the connection between Page and the Crowes. It was supposed to be a one-time thing. The group was actually on the verge of breaking up as pianist Eddie Harsch got really sick right before the charity show and drummer Steve Gorman was planning to leave the band. In his book, Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of The Black Crowes (in a chapter titled “Just When I Think I’m Out…Mr. Jimmy F***ing Page) Gorman describes how Page asked them to go on tour and that kept the Crowes together.

Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes toured together in in the fall of 1999 and summer of 2000. The concerts consisted of a mix of Led Zeppelin songs, Black Crowes songs, and various blues covers. It was a match made in heaven. I remember reading contemporary articles from that time saying the Crowes played the tunes better than Zeppelin. That is, of course, absurd. But they did about as amazing of a job with them as any band reasonably could.

The tour included two shows at The Greek Theatre in L.A. As soon as the tour started, Crowes manger Pete Angelus wanted to record a live album, but Page was initially not interested. He didn’t want the pressure of having to make a great album. Angelus made him a deal: they would record two shows at the Greek and Jimmy could have the tapes. If he didn’t love them, they would burn them.

The first show at The Greek was subpar. Many considered it one of the worst shows of the tour. Before the second show, Page looked to Steve Gorman for a way to relax. Gorman had a habit of taking a power nap just before each show, and Jimmy wanted to try it. Gorman quoting Page: “’Well, look in here,’ he said. ‘My dressing room has two sofas. I thought we could take a nap together.’ I was caught between thinking this was the single weirdest, most unexpected moment in my life and feeling like it was the most natural thing in the world.”

However weird it may have been, it worked as they blew the second show out of the water. Page was very happy and the entire Live at The Greek album was taken from this second show.

Since that time, an unofficial recording from a show in Pittsburgh has been released and that’s where most of the non-Greek tracks in my library come from. As a result, the above recommendations are not always the exact tracks that I have in my library. If interested, though, you can listen to the entire Pittsburgh show here.

Unfortunately, the tour was short-lived as Jimmy abruptly ended it. The official reason at the time was that Jimmy was having back issues. But in Hard to Handle Gorman says that the real reason is Rich Robinson insulted Page by declining an offer to write songs together. Knowing how toxic the relationships around the Robinson brothers often are, that seems likely.

While it lasted, though, this pairing was awesome. Probably the best thing Page has done post-Zeppelin. You can get a great look at the vibes on the tour in this video.

For this entry, the individual musicians get partial personnel bonuses as performers. However, since there was no original material from this pairing, I did not award any of their songwriting bonuses here.

30. Creedence Clearwater Revival (250 points)

Total number of songs: 60

Average song score: 3.52

# of 4-point songs: 22

Personnel bonus: #19 songwriter John Fogerty

Recommended listening: Bad Moon Rising; Bad Moon Rising (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1970); Born on the Bayou (live at Woodstock); Commotion (live in Europe, 1971); Down on the Corner; Green River/Susie Q (live in Europe, 1971); Have You Ever Seen the Rain; I Put a Spell on You (live at Woodstock); Keep on Chooglin’ (live at Woodstock); Keep on Chooglin’/Pagan Baby (live in Europe, 1971); Lookin’ Out My Back Door; The Midnight Special; Proud Mary (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1970); Someday Never Comes; Susie Q, Part 1; Tombstone Shadow (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1970); Travelin’ Band (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1970); Up Around the Bend; Who’ll Stop the Rain

I mentioned in the AC/DC entry that the chord structure for most of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s songs was relatively simple. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Because they are still great songs. They have beautiful melodies, interesting lyrics, and an air of authenticity. All that earns John Fogerty a songwriting bonus.

Just as importantly, these tunes were delivered so well. CCR was super tight as a live band and nearly every recording I have heard from them just plain sounds great. That’s part of the reason that, despite having so many great original songs, you also see a number of covers in the recommended tracks. Part of their success was that John’s voice fit the songs perfectly. He fell just short of a personnel bonus as a vocalist.

For many years I considered Creedence’s Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits album my favorite compilation album. The American public apparently feels similarly as it is the 5th longest-running album on the charts at well over 600 weeks.

The only disappointing thing about Creedence is that they didn’t last longer. While the 4 members were together for a fairly long time under other names like The Golliwogs, as Creedence they basically had a 3-4 year run. Unfortunately, like Ray and Dave Davies, John and Tom Fogerty’s sibling rivalry was pretty intense and ultimately helped lead to the demise of the group. It’s too bad because I consider both of their solo careers to be pretty mediocre, but I can’t help but wonder if there would have been more great material had they stayed together.

While it lasted, though, this pairing was awesome. Probably the best thing Page has done post-Zeppelin. You can get a great look at the vibes on the tour in this video.
Looking at the video, I just want to know how Jimmy was doing all of the various noises during Whole Lotta Love. I see the antenna but what is that for. (I doubt it was his wireless) Any of you guitar players out there know?

Looking at the video, I just want to know how Jimmy was doing all of the various noises during Whole Lotta Love. I see the antenna but what is that for. (I doubt it was his wireless) Any of you guitar players out there know?

He is using what is essentially a theremin (see about half way down the page).

He is using what is essentially a theremin (see about half way down the page).
I think I need to get me one them. I was always the guitar player that spent more time getting my guitar to make weird noises than I did practicing scales.

29. The Doors (251 points)

Total number of songs: 47

Average song score: 3.68

# of 5-point songs: 12

# of 4-point songs: 17

Top 50 track bonus: #41 When the Music’s Over (live in New York, 1970)

Personnel bonus: #20 vocalist Jim Morrison

Recommended listening: Alabama Song; Break on Through (Live at the Isle of Wight, 1970); Five to One; Gloria (live In Concert); Little Red Rooster (live in New York, 1970); Riders on the Storm; Roadhouse Blues; Soul Kitchen (live at The Aquarius Theatre, 1969); Touch Me; Twentieth Century Fox; When the Music’s Over (live in New York, 1970)

I get the sense that The Doors aren’t super popular on this board. Maybe that’s not correct and my perception is off. If they aren’t, I’m not really sure why. They have a great catalog of songs. And when Jim wasn’t being super crazy, they could be a really great live band. I think they rock a lot harder than they are generally given credit for, and they could jam too.

Robby Krieger deserves a lot of credit as I have long thought he is one of rock’s great underrated guitarists. He was so versatile. He was playing jazz fusion and incorporating elements of world music before that was really a widespread thing. I love his use of flamenco style playing. And he is a great slide player. His solo on “Five to One” is one of my favorite solos ever (it was later basically copied by Ace Frehley on “She” and Mike McCready on “Alive”).

The tracks on this one get a little tricky. Several of the live tracks are from the In Concert album, which is basically a repackaging of three of their other live albums: Alive, She Cried, Live at The Hollywood Bowl, and Absolutely Live. The tracks on those albums came from multiple different recordings, in some occasions with several performances even edited together into one track. The above versions of “When the Music’s Over” and “Little Red Rooster” both seem to primarily be from a performance at The Felt Forum in New York in 1970. The suggested version of “Gloria” is known to be from a soundcheck in 1969 but there is some debate as to the location and I’ve never seen anything to make me 100% convinced.

28. T-Bone Walker (263 points)

Total number of songs: 123

Average song score: 2.12

# of 5-point songs: 3

# of 4-point songs: 5

Recommended listening: Blues for Marili; Call It Stormy Monday; Cold Cold Feeling; Evenin’; How Long Blues; Mean Old World; Long Skirt Baby Blues; Shuffling the Blues; Strollin’ with Bones; T-Bone Shuffle; West Side Baby; Woman You Must Be Crazy (live from The Greatest Jazz Concert in the World, 1967)

I think you could make an argument that T-Bone Walker is the first truly great guitar superstar. In the 1920’s, as just a teenager, he was already working the blues circuits at the same time as guys like Robert Johnson. Unlike the delta blues greats, however, the jump blues style that T-Bone played lent itself to more widespread appeal and was really closer to early rock and roll than gritty roots blues.

Between that and his interest in jazz, by the 1940’s Walker had made a name in the Chicago blues clubs and he was also playing some of the major concerts of that time alongside people like Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. It helped that he was also a great performer. Many techniques that later guitar legends like Jimi Hendrix would adopt, things like playing behind the back or playing with one’s teeth, originated with T-Bone.

He also was a prolific and influential songwriter. A few posts back I called “Hoochie Coochie Man” the most famous blues song ever. If that’s true, “Call It Stormy Monday” probably isn’t far behind. Bobby Bland did a very popular cover of the song (erroneously calling it “Stormy Monday Blues,” which is actually the title of a different T-Bone Walker song). And of course many rock acts such as Cream and The Allman Brothers have done amazing versions of the tune.

Of the above tracks, “Woman You Must Be Crazy” deserves mention as it is one of my favorite live blues recordings ever. That’s Oscar Peterson playing piano on the recording.

27. Derek & the Dominos (275 points)

Total number of songs: 37

Average song score: 4.19

# of 5-point songs: 19

# of 4-point songs: 9

Top 50 track bonus: #11 Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?; #46 Key to the Highway

Personnel bonus: #1 guitarist Duane Allman (partial bonus); #7 guitarist Eric Clapton

Recommended listening: Anyday; Have You Ever Loved a Woman; Jam III; Jam IV; Jam V; Keep on Growing; Key to the Highway; Let It Rain (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Presence of The Lord (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?

Take two of the greatest guitarists who ever lived and turn them loose to just jam and you are bound to end up with something special. When it was originally released, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs received mixed reviews, with critics lambasting the raw production and inconsistent vocal performances. With time popular opinion has shifted to it being one of the great rock albums of all-time, largely due to the chemistry displayed between Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.

Following work with Delaney & Bonnie and on George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass, Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Carl Raddle, and Jim Gordon came together as Derek & the Dominos. In the spring of 1970 producer Tom Dowd was splitting his time between working with The Allman Brothers on Idlewild South and working with the Dominos to record an album at Criterion Studios. Duane, having known some of the Dominos from Delaney & Bonnie but never working with Eric, asked if he could come to the studio.

Tom Dowd in Skydog: The Duane Allman Story: “I put the phone down and thought, ‘I’d better pump Clapton.’ So when he went by I said, ‘Hey Eric, there’s a guitar player chap from a band called the Allman Brothers that I record for Atlantic, and they were here a couple of weeks ago and they heard you were coming and that was Duane on the phone.’ Eric says, ‘You mean the guy that plays on the back of “Hey Jude?”.’ I said, ‘Yeah. They’re doing a concert, and he would like to come by after the concert and see you play.’ And Eric looked at me and said, ‘I want to see him play!’”

The Dominos went to the Allman concert and when Duane saw Clapton, he was so shocked he stopped playing for a second. He quickly recovered, though, and Eric was blown away. The Allman Brothers went back to the studio with the Dominos and they jammed most of the night. Eric then invited Duane to join them on a couple of songs for the new album they were making. Turns out, he ended up playing on all the tracks but three.

The recording of Layla was very loose with Tom Dowd often just rolling tape as the group jammed. Several of their informal jams have been released on deluxe additions of the album. At one point Dowd was using the restroom as the band was playing a particularly blistering jam that led into “Key to the Highway.” He had left the equipment off. When he returned and heard the amazing playing, he started the equipment rolling, fading in the sound, which is why that track starts the way it does. In my opinion it is still the best version of that iconic blues song ever recorded.

My favorite track on Layla is “Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?” which features some of my favorite guitar work ever. “Keep on Growing” is one of the few tracks Duane didn’t play on but for me is also a highlight of the album.

Clapton asked Duane to join the band as a permanent member, but Duane turned him down, believing in what he was doing with the Allman Brothers. He played only two live shows with the group, in Syracuse and Tampa in December of 1970. Unfortunately, no tracks from those shows are included on either of the live albums the group released. Those albums still feature some great playing and are definitely worth checking out.

The personnel bonuses obviously boost the score here given the relatively low number of songs. The average song score also helps – 4.19 is the second highest average of any artist with at least 25 songs.

Three Dog Night's version of "Mama Told Me Not to Come" was the only #1 hit ever written by Randy Newman--his own ("Short People" made it to #2.
I did not know this.
Saw this tweet from Super 70s Sports, reminded me of when this happened. No Internet, I was an overnight DJ and back in the day there used to be a ticker tape with live feed of AP and UPI stories that would come over the wire.
We were supposed to pull anything that was interesting, so I ran with it.

Super 70s Sports
@Super70sSports
“So the Orioles are 0-18 and we need a photo to capture sucking that badly for the cover story.” “Get me the ****ty Ripken.”
Picture

I played this tune by Randy Newman after reading the story.
Fits perfectly with the story and I always liked this tune.
Randy Newman - Baltimore

26. Derek Trucks Band (276 points)

Total number of songs: 65

Average song score: 3.40

# of 5-point songs: 18

# of 4-point songs: 11

Top 50 track bonus: #47 I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free)

Personnel bonus: #4 guitarist Derek Trucks

Recommended listening: Already Free (live in Chicago, 2009); D Minor Blues; Days is Almost Gone; Down Don’t Bother Me (live in Chicago, 2009); Down in the Flood (live in Chicago, 2009); For My Brother (live at The Georgia Theatre, 2003); Gonna Move (live at The Georgia Theatre, 2003); I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free); Revolution; Sahib Teri Bandi; Soul Serenade/Rastaman Chant; Volunteered Slavery (live at The Georgia Theatre, 2003)

We have back-to-back artists featuring a Derek. And yes, Derek Trucks was named after Clapton’s moniker from the Dominos. The guitar prodigy began playing at age 9 and by his 13th birthday he was already doing this. That same year he played with Buddy Guy. By the time he was 20 he was an official member of The Allman Brothers Band. No less than Gregg Allman has referred to him as Duane Allman reincarnated.

The Derek Trucks Band was founded in 1994, when Derek was 15 years old. The group included a strong supporting cast of musicians including vocalist Mike Mattison (leader of Scrapomatic, who appeared earlier in the countdown), multi-instrumentalist Kofi Burbridge (brother of Allman Brothers bassist Oteil Burbridge), and percussionists Yonrico Scott (a respected session drummer who played with Stevie Wonder) and Count M’butu (who played with The Aquarium Rescue Unit).

The above selections give a nice perspective on the range of music that the group played. There are some great original tunes like “D Minor Blues” and “Down Don’t Bother Me” as well as covers from a variety of artists like Bob Dylan (“Down in the Flood”) and Rahsaan Roland Kirk (“Volunteered Slavery”). There is some outstanding blues, which is the heart of what the band plays, but we also get elements of jazz, soul, funk, and with selections like Sahib Teri Bandi you get some great world fusion.

We even get a killer guitar vs. flute dual in “For My Brother.”

My favorite track by this group is “I Wish I Knew,” a jazz tune by Billy Taylor that has been recorded by many artists but was most famously done by Nina Simone. Mattison just kills the vocals on this version.

Derek will, of course, appear a couple more times later in the countdown.

Top 50 track bonus: #11 Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?
So far I am the only person to take this in Krista's rest-of-the-world countdown. There are six rounds left for anyone else to join me.

He played only two live shows with the group, in Syracuse and Tampa in December of 1970. Unfortunately, no tracks from those shows are included on either of the live albums the group released.
I used to have a recording of the Tampa show. The sound quality was very poor, but the playing was FIRE.

25. Johnny Winter (281 points)

Total number of songs: 56

# of 5-point songs: 9

# of 4-point songs: 25

Personnel bonus: #10 guitarist Johnny Winter

Recommended listening: Be Careful with a Fool; Bony Moronie (live in California, 1975); Dallas; Hustled Down in Texas; It’s My Own Fault (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Leland Mississippi Blues; Love Life & Money (live in Sweden, 1987); Mojo Boogie (live in Sweden, 1987); One Step at a Time; Rock Me Baby; Rollin’ ‘cross the Country; Stranger Blues (live from Bootleg Series Volume 8); Sugar Sweet (live in Sweden, 1987)

This is our second entry for a member of the Winter family. Edgar appeared at spot #273 and now Johnny comes in as our first artist to crack the top 25.

For this entry I’m not sure that there is even that much to say other than that Johnny Winter was really, really, really good at playing blues guitar. His style of play was typically very high energy, sometimes bordering on frantic, yet is still maintained a genuine blues sounds. Winter could play multiple styles of blues well, and songs like “Dallas” show a different side to his music as he embraces the resonator guitar.

One of the best things about Johnny is that he put out a ton of live music. There are some great albums that are must-listens. The selections above that were recorded in Sweden come from an album that includes Dr. John on piano. There is also a great “Bootleg” series of albums that are worth checking out.

The above version of “It’s My Own Fault” is one of my favorite guitar tracks and just missed out on a top 50 bonus.

Of course, I need to mention that Johnny was a friend of the Allmans and played with them from time to time. That includes joining them on this version of “Mountain Jam,” which is my favorite version ever.

25. Johnny Winter (281 points)

Personnel bonus: #10 guitarist Johnny Winter

Recommended listening: Be Careful with a Fool; Bony Moronie (live in California, 1975); Dallas; Hustled Down in Texas; It’s My Own Fault (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Leland Mississippi Blues; Love Life & Money (live in Sweden, 1987); Mojo Boogie (live in Sweden, 1987); One Step at a Time; Rock Me Baby; Rollin’ ‘cross the Country; Stranger Blues (live from Bootleg Series Volume 8); Sugar Sweet (live in Sweden, 1987)

This is our second entry for a member of the Winter family. Edgar appeared at spot #273 and now Johnny comes in as our first artist to crack the top 25.

For this entry I’m not sure that there is even that much to say other than that Johnny Winter was really, really, really good at playing blues guitar. His style of play was typically very high energy, sometimes bordering on frantic, yet is still maintained a genuine blues sounds. Winter could play multiple styles of blues well, and songs like “Dallas” show a different side to his music as he embraces the resonator guitar.

One of the best things about Johnny is that he put out a ton of live music. There are some great albums that are must-listens. The selections above that were recorded in Sweden come from an album that includes Dr. John on piano. There is also a great “Bootleg” series of albums that are worth checking out.

The above version of “It’s My Own Fault” is one of my favorite guitar tracks and just missed out on a top 50 bonus.

Of course, I need to mention that Johnny was a friend of the Allmans and played with them from time to time. That includes joining them on this version of “Mountain Jam,” which is my favorite version ever.

Johnny

was one of the first albums i ever purchased, was in the el cheapo bin for $1.25, and i already had Edgar's "They Only Come Out At Night", and saw that side two featured a coupla Stones covers, so away i went.

never a big fan of the blues, but Johnny played it with such an indelible edge ... that track, ("Still Alive & Well) flat out rocked as hard as anything i had ever heard.

selected it in the last great album draft here, and it is still a go-to listen for me.

🖤

24. Ten Years After (286 points)

Total number of songs: 62

Average song score: 3.52

# of 5-point songs: 12

# of 4-point songs: 16

Personnel bonus: #12 guitarist Alvin Lee

Recommended listening: 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Hard Monkeys; Help Me (live in Amsterdam, 1973); I Can’t Keep from Cryin’ Sometimes (live at the Isle of Wight, 1970); I’d Love to Change the World; I’m Going Home (live at Woodstock, 1969); I Woke Up this Morning (live at Fillmore East, 1970); Love Like a Man; Once There Was a Time; One of These Days; Slow Blues in C (live in Frankfurt, 1973); Uncle Jam

The second artist in my top 25 is a bit of a dark horse as you don’t typically see Ten Years After on lists of the greatest rock bands ever. But they are one of my favorites. In my opinion Alvin Lee is one of the best guitarists of all time. He is best known as a lightning-fast shredder for which he once earned the moniker "the fastest guitarist in the West,” but he also slows things down and can play some of the most soulful blues guitar you’ll ever hear.

In addition he is incredibly underrated as a song writer. A few of his compositions such as “I’d Love to Change the World” and “Love Like a Man” are big radio play songs that most will recognize, but I like lesser-known songs like “Hard Monkeys” or “Once There Was a Time” just as much. Their album A Space in Time is one of my favorites.

It’s their live performances, however, that really make this band stand out. I’ve used the phrase “blues jams” in reference to The Allman Brothers Band and Hot Tuna, but it might be most appropriately applied to these guys. Their concerts basically consisted of taking “Blues Song A” and turning it into a 10 minute jam, then taking “Blues Song B” and making it a 15 minute jam, rinse and repeat. It’s glorious.

Their best known live performance, of course, is at Woodstock where some say they were the best performers at the festival, bringing down the house with a sizzling version of “I’m Going Home.” Personally, I like their Recorded Live album best, which features a number of shows from a European tour, though their Live at the Fillmore East 1970 album is also great.

23. Van Morrison (288 points)

Total number of songs: 60

Average song score: 3.50

# of 4-point songs: 20

Top 50 track bonus: #42 Caravan (live at The Last Waltz)

Personnel bonus: #3 vocalist Van Morrison

Recommended listening: Caravan (live at The Last Waltz); Cyprus Avenue (live in Los Angeles, 1973); Domino (live in Santa Monica, 1973); Gloria; Have I Told You Lately; Into the Mystic; I Paid the Price (live in London, 1973); I’ve Been Working (live in Santa Monica, 1973); Mystic Eyes; Moonshine Whiskey (live in Santa Monica, 1973); Tupelo Honey; Wild Night (live in Santa Monica, 1973)

Van Morrison might be the coolest performer ever. The above video of “Cyprus Avenue” is just money. From taking a drag on his cigarette between lines at the beginning to his spastic jumping toward the end, finishing with a final “It’s too late to stop now” as he stalks off the stage, the whole performance exudes awesomeness.

His kicks during the finale of “Caravan” are nearly as cool. In the above version from The Last Waltz he is actually a little more calm than normal. I’ve seen video of other performances where he gets much more force behind those kicks. But that is my favorite version musically and thus was awarded the song bonus. Actually, that is the one song bonus I split between two artists since I think they both made incredible contributions to that performance.

Anyway, Van is simply the best non-English British musicians ever. He finishes #3 in my vocalist rankings. His phrasing, his use of volume, his improvisation are all among the best in the history of rock. He just missed getting a bonus for songwriting. Even though he isn’t thought of as an instrumentalist that often, he also was a great multi-instrumentalist. The harmonica on “Mystic Eyes” is killer.

Many of the above tracks come from the live album It’s Too Late to Stop Now. It is definitely worth getting the 4-volume boxed set of this tour. Incredible performances from start to finish. Van’s band during that time period, The Caledonia Soul Orchestra, deserves a ton of recognition as well.

Not sure if it is commonly known, but a fun fact about “Mystic Eyes” is that a very young Jimmy Page played the lead guitar parts on the original version of that song.

22. The Yardbirds (289 points)

Total number of songs: 82

Average song score: 2.78

# of 4-point songs: 8

Personnel bonus: #3 guitarist Jimmy Page (partial bonus); #7 guitarist Eric Clapton (partial bonus); #18 guitarist Jeff Beck (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Dazed and Confused (live at the BBC, 1968); Happenings Ten Years Time Ago; I’m a Man (from Shindig, 1965); I Wish You Would (from Palais des Sports, 1965); Jeff’s Blues; Jeff’s Boogie (from Joe Loss Pop Show, 1966); Louise (from Go Tell It On the Mountain, 1964); Mister, You’re a Better Man Than I; Over, Under, Sideways, Down; Psycho Daisies; Shapes of Things; Smokestack Lightning (live at the Marquee Club, 1964); Steeled Blues; Train Kept a-Rollin’ (from Bouton Rouge, 1968); White Summer (live at the BBC, 1968)

The Yardbirds are certainly best known for the trio of legendary guitarists that played with the band. For those who don’t know the details, Clapton came first. He joined the band around the time they replaced The Rolling Stones as the house band at The Crawdaddy Club. This version of the band was almost pure blues, doing mostly covers of songs like “I’m a Man,” “Good Morning Little School Girl,” “Boom Boom,” and “Smokestack Lightning.”

When the band started to branch out and explore pop and psychedelia, Clapton disapproved and left the group. He recommended his friend Jimmy Page as his replacement, but Page was doing too well to leave his job as England’s top session guitarist, so in turn he suggested Jeff Beck. With Beck the Yardbirds recorded some of their most notable original tunes like “Shapes of Things” and “Over, Under, Sideways, Down,” while Beck himself took the sound of electric guitar to totally knew places from what was being done at the time (see the separate Jeff Beck entry at rank position #42).

At some point Jeff Beck got sick and Jimmy Page substituted as their guitarist. He ended up staying with the band and for a brief time they had dual lead guitar from Page and Beck, though there are few surviving recordings from this period (“Beck’s Bolero” was actually recorded before Page was officially a member of the band and is typically characterized as a Beck solo tune rather than a Yardbirds tune).

Beck left soon after to form The Jeff Beck Group, and under Page the Yardbirds eventually evolved into a proto-Zeppelin. Obviously, he brought tunes like “Dazed and Confused” and “White Summer” with him when he formed Led Zeppelin. And obviously the Zeppelin versions are way better. But it is still really cool to hear these early versions of the songs.

The Yardbirds were both outstanding blues musicians but also very innovative. Long into their career they continued to play songs like “I’m a Man.” They made Tiny Bradshaw’s song “Train Kept a-Rollin’” their own (literally, since when they originally recorded it they did so under the alternate title “Stroll On”) and their arrangement was the basis of future arrangements by groups like Aerosmith. Songs like “Happenings Ten Years Time Ago” (one of the few surviving songs to feature both Page and Beck) were incredibly progressive for their time. “Shapes of Things” stands at the beginning of British psychedelia and I think you could argue that “Psycho Daisies” was one of the first punk songs ever.

Really the only reason these guys aren’t higher is that the sound quality of a lot of their live recordings is fairly low. With better audio, they could be a borderline top 10 band.

21. Paul McCartney (304 points)

Total number of songs: 58

Average song score: 3.32

Personnel bonus: #9 songwriter Paul McCartney (partial bonus); #9 vocalist Paul McCartney; #10 bassist Paul McCartney

Recommended listening: Band on the Run; Blue Moon of Kentucky (unplugged); Every Night; Good Rockin’ Tonight (live in Charlotte, 1993); Here, There, and Everywhere (unplugged); Here Today; I Got Stung; I’ve Just Seen a Face (unplugged); Jenny Wren; Maybe I’m Amazed; Penny Lane (live in Boulder, 1993); Run Devil Run; San Francisco Blues (unplugged); We Can Work It Out (live in New Jersey, 1993)

If I were going by gut rankings, I would not say Paul McCartney is my favorite musician. In fact he isn’t even my favorite Beatle. My favorite musician just based on how I feel is a tie between Duane Allman (obviously) and one other guy who will be appearing a little later in the countdown (if you have been paying attention, I’m sure it’s pretty obvious who that is).

If I were being objective, though, maybe Paul should be number 1. I have said a few times that there are only a handful of artists who got consideration for top 20 personnel bonuses as a songwriter, a singer, and an instrumentalist. Paul is the only one to actually make the top 20 in all three categories and he in fact made the top 10 in each (that other still-to-come favorite musician is ranked #11 in my songwriter rankings and #8 in the rankings for his instrument, but just missed a vocalist bonus finishing #25 there).

Anyway, Paul is obviously great and his personnel bonuses play a big role in being my highest ranked solo Beatles. Though I will say that consistency and longevity bonuses also contributed significantly to this score.

I’ll admit, though, that I am not the biggest expert on McCartney’s solo career. I’d welcome our real Beatles experts to chime in. I am fairly certain I probably don’t even know half of Sir Paul’s solo material. I will say that I tried to get a broad representation of his solo stuff in the above selections, with some Beatles material, original Paul solo tunes, some nice covers, and a mix of live and studio stuff. I’d probably rank Run Devil Run as my favorite of his solo albums even though it only has a few McCartney originals.

21. Paul McCartney (304 points)

Total number of songs: 58

Average song score: 3.32

Personnel bonus: #9 songwriter Paul McCartney (partial bonus); #9 vocalist Paul McCartney; #10 bassist Paul McCartney

Recommended listening: Band on the Run; Blue Moon of Kentucky (unplugged); Every Night; Good Rockin’ Tonight (live in Charlotte, 1993); Here, There, and Everywhere (unplugged); Here Today; I Got Stung; I’ve Just Seen a Face (unplugged); Jenny Wren; Maybe I’m Amazed; Penny Lane (live in Boulder, 1993); Run Devil Run; San Francisco Blues (unplugged); We Can Work It Out (live in New Jersey, 1993)

If I were going by gut rankings, I would not say Paul McCartney is my favorite musician. In fact he isn’t even my favorite Beatle. My favorite musician just based on how I feel is a tie between Duane Allman (obviously) and one other guy who will be appearing a little later in the countdown (if you have been paying attention, I’m sure it’s pretty obvious who that is).

If I were being objective, though, maybe Paul should be number 1. I have said a few times that there are only a handful of artists who got consideration for top 20 personnel bonuses as a songwriter, a singer, and an instrumentalist. Paul is the only one to actually make the top 20 in all three categories and he in fact made the top 10 in each (that other still-to-come favorite musician is ranked #11 in my songwriter rankings and #8 in the rankings for his instrument, but just missed a vocalist bonus finishing #25 there).

Anyway, Paul is obviously great and his personnel bonuses play a big role in being my highest ranked solo Beatles. Though I will say that consistency and longevity bonuses also contributed significantly to this score.

I’ll admit, though, that I am not the biggest expert on McCartney’s solo career. I’d welcome our real Beatles experts to chime in. I am fairly certain I probably don’t even know half of Sir Paul’s solo material. I will say that I tried to get a broad representation of his solo stuff in the above selections, with some Beatles material, original Paul solo tunes, some nice covers, and a mix of live and studio stuff. I’d probably rank Run Devil Run as my favorite of his solo albums even though it only has a few McCartney originals.

Placeholder to come back and address this soon. :thumbup:

20. Eric Clapton (307 points)

Total number of songs: 70

Average song score: 3.41

# of 5-point songs: 8

# of 4-point songs: 26

Personnel bonus: #7 guitarist Eric Clapton

Recommended listening: Alberta (unplugged); Badge (live at Crossroads Guitar Festival, 2019); County Jail Blues; Cryin’; Further On Up the Road (live in Dallas, 1976); Have You Ever Loved a Woman (live in Long Beach, 1974); Hoodoo Man (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1991); Running on Faith (unplugged); Worried Life Blues (unplugged)

I know there are some mixed feelings toward Eric Clapton on this board and some aren’t huge fans. But there is no denying that he is one of the most talented guitarists who ever lived. He has a ton of music that is really worth listening to. We have already encountered Clapton with the Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds, and Derek & the Dominos. We haven’t seen Cream yet, but we will soon. This entry essentially covers everything else in his career.

Clapton has recorded the blues classic “Have You Ever Loved a Woman” (written by Billy Myles and first recorded by Freddie King) many times. He was playing it all the way back when he was with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and a great version was included on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. But the above solo version might be my favorite recording of the tune. It got strong consideration for at top 50 track bonus.

“Further On Up the Road” is another one that Clapton has recorded multiple times. My favorite version is the one from The Last Waltz. But the above track is still very good.

The rest of the above selections come from a variety of albums spanning multiple parts of his career. I assume most are pretty familiar with the Unplugged album. It is obviously great. I love the resonator guitar work on that version of “Running on Faith.”

The other album to check out if you don’t know it is 24 Nights. The album includes tracks captured from 42 shows at the Royal Albert Hall across 24 nights in 1990 and 1991. Among the musicians that played with Eric during those shows are Johnnie Johnson, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, and Chuck Leavell (Chuck also plays on Unplugged). For several shows he even had Michael Kamen conducting an orchestra. There are some great versions of some of his best songs on that album.

Blues is the other album that a lot of the above tracks are taken from. It is a two-disc compilation of blues covers, with one disc being studio recordings and the other live.

Recommended listening: Alberta (unplugged); Badge (live at Crossroads Guitar Festival, 2019); County Jail Blues; Cryin’; Further On Up the Road (live in Dallas, 1976); Have You Ever Loved a Woman (live in Long Beach, 1974); Hoodoo Man (live at Royal Albert Hall, 1991); Running on Faith (unplugged); Worried Life Blues (unplugged)

I know there are some mixed feelings toward Eric Clapton on this board and some aren’t huge fans. But there is no denying that he is one of the most talented guitarists who ever lived. He has a ton of music that is really worth listening to. We have already encountered Clapton with the Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds, and Derek & the Dominos. We haven’t seen Cream yet, but we will soon. This entry essentially covers everything else in his career.

Clapton has recorded the blues classic “Have You Ever Loved a Woman” (written by Billy Myles and first recorded by Freddie King) many times. He was playing it all the way back when he was with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and a great version was included on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. But the above solo version might be my favorite recording of the tune. It got strong consideration for at top 50 track bonus.

“Further On Up the Road” is another one that Clapton has recorded multiple times. My favorite version is the one from The Last Waltz. But the above track is still very good.

The rest of the above selections come from a variety of albums spanning multiple parts of his career. I assume most are pretty familiar with the Unplugged album. It is obviously great. I love the resonator guitar work on that version of “Running on Faith.”

The other album to check out if you don’t know it is 24 Nights. The album includes tracks captured from 42 shows at the Royal Albert Hall across 24 nights in 1990 and 1991. Among the musicians that played with Eric during those shows are Johnnie Johnson, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughn, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, and Chuck Leavell (Chuck also plays on Unplugged). For several shows he even had Michael Kamen conducting an orchestra. There are some great versions of some of his best songs on that album.

Blues is the other album that a lot of the above tracks are taken from. It is a two-disc compilation of blues covers, with one disc being studio recordings and the other live.

His Christmas album is pretty damn good

Is it really? I'm kind of skeptical but haven't actually heard anything from it and now I kind of want to check it out.

19. J.J. Grey & Mofro (360 points)

Average song score: 3.61

# of 5-point songs: 16

# of 4-point songs: 19

Personnel bonus: #12 songwriter J.J. Grey; #5 vocalist J.J. Grey

Recommended listening: A Woman; Brighter Days (live in Atlanta, 2011); Harp and Drums; How Junior Got His Head Put Out; King Hummingbird, (live 2011); Lochloosa; Lochloosa (live in Atlanta, 2011); The Long Way Home; Orange Blossoms; Pray for Rain; The Sun is Shining Down; The Sweetest Thing (live in Atlanta, 2011); This River; The Wrong Side

Probably the biggest dark horse pick in these rankings, J.J. Grey and Mofro might be the artist I was most excited to write about in the entire countdown. I’m not sure how many here are familiar with Mofro or know a lot of their stuff, but if you don’t, check them out right away.

I first saw Mofro open for The Black Crowes on the Crowes’ reunion tour in 2005. I had no idea who they were at the time, but I was blown away. There has never been another time that I have gone from not knowing a band to them being one of my favorite artists so quickly.

(Quick aside on the name. The group initially started as “Mofro” which J.J. Grey thought captured the sound of their music. He later added his own name to the front when his grandmother asked him if he was ashamed to use his real name).

I have heard Mofro’s music labeled as “front porch soul music.” It’s a combination of soul, R&B, southern rock, swamp rock, funk, and blues. It’s just a great sound.

Some of my past posts have made clear that a sense of authenticity is a big thing for me in music. I have never encountered an artist for whom I felt like you can sense the belief in their music like J.J. Grey. Every note he sings has such genuine passion. That’s a big part of the personnel bonuses that he earns here. His lyrics are also so heartfelt. “The Sun is Shining Down” nearly brings me to tears whenever I listen to it (as it does to J.J. in the above video).

Just as importantly, he is super talented. His singing on songs like “This River” blow me away. That particular tune might be one of my top 10 favorite vocal performances ever.

J.J. also basically is the band. On their studio albums he plays most of the instruments on most of their songs. And while he is often content to let those around him take the instrumental spotlight during live performances, I have also seen him take the lead on some killer guitar and keyboard jams. His harmonica playing on songs like “Lochloosa” is so soulful. I’m actually really regretting not giving the live version of “Lochloosa” above a top 50 track bonus. It’s one of my favorite performances of any song ever.

Is it really? I'm kind of skeptical but haven't actually heard anything from it and now I kind of want to check it out.

Dead serious. Play it every Christmas these last few years

Dead serious. Play it every Christmas these last few years

Nice. I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

The next entry is a tie. It is the last tie left in the countdown, and oddly enough it is a 3-way tie. I plan to post eat artist as a separate post, but post them all at the same time. Still need to finish them up but should have them out in a few hours.

T-16. Cream (361 points)

Total number of songs: 51

Average song score: 3.63

# of 4-point songs: 19

Top 50 track bonus: #19 Stormy Monday (live at Royal Albert Hall, 2005)

Personnel bonus: #7 guitarist Eric Clapton; #12 bassist Jack Bruce; #6 drummer Ginger Baker

Recommended listening: Crossroads (live at Winterland, 1968); I Feel Free; I’m So Glad (live in San Diego, 1968); Outside Woman Blues (live at the BBC); Rollin’ and Tumblin’ (live at Royal Albert Hall, 2005); Sitting on Top of the World (live in San Diego, 1968); Steppin’ Out (live at the BBC); Stormy Monday (live at Royal Albert Hall, 2005); Strange Brew; Sunshine of Your Love, (live at the BBC); White Room

The first legendary power trio and arguably the first supergroup, Cream is one of four groups on the list in which all the core members get a top 20 personnel bonus (The Who, Gov’t Mule, and Led Zeppelin are the others).

Clearly Cream was incredibly talented. For me, though, they are another group where the whole is slightly less than the sum of the parts. One would think with the instrumental talent of all three members they would be a top 10 group, but they come in at 16 here and if I were doing gut rankings they would probably be more in the 25-30 range. Partly that is because the vocals are serviceable rather than outstanding. Partly it’s because I find their catalog of songs to be just ok. When they were doing jammy versions of blues covers they were great. But of their original tunes, “White Room” is the only one that I would consider an all-time song. Some of their other more psychedelic stuff like “Strange Bew” is very good to me, but not great.

That’s a small criticism though because they were still incredible. Their live performances, when Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce weren’t getting into literal physical altercations or sabotaging each other’s equipment, were phenomenal.

Most of the material here is from the band’s original run. However, the material from their reunion shows at Royal Albert Hall also deserves mention because it’s great. “Stormy Monday” has come up a number of times on the countdown already (see the T-Bone Walker entry). Probably the overall best version of that tune is done by The Allman Brothers, but the reunion Cream version is still special in my mind. Clapton’s solo on that is one of my 5 favorite guitar solos ever.

T-16. Gregg Allman (361 points)

Total number of songs: 85

Average song score: 2.74

# of 5-point songs: 10

Personnel bonus: #10 songwriter Gregg Allman; #4 vocalist Gregg Allman; #3 miscellaneous/multi-instrumentalist (piano) Chuck Leavell (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: All My Friends; Before the Bullets Fly/Melissa (live in Macon, 2014); Black Muddy River; Blind Bats and Swamp Rats; Come and Go Blues; Demons; Multi-colored Lady; My Only True Friend; Queen of Hearts (live from The Gregg Allman Tour, 1974); Sweet Feelin’; These Days (live in Macon, 2014); Wasted Words; Will the Circle Be Unbroken (live from The Gregg Allman Tour, 1974); Wolf’s a-Howlin’

This will be a relatively short entry because obviously there will be more Gregg Allman to come. Gregg started his solo career with the Johnny Sandlin-produced album Laid Back, which features a couple of Allman Brothers tunes, a couple of new original Gregg tunes, and a few covers. The aptly-named album has a different feel than an Allman Brothers album, with more R&B, soul, and gospel influences rather than the typical Allman Brothers blues and rock. That’s not a bad thing, though, as it is an outstanding album.

The album was recorded at the same time the Allman Brothers were making Brothers and Sisters. Indeed, it was through his work on Laid Back that Chuck Leavell came to work with and eventually became a member of the Allman Brothers. The album was supported by a 1974 tour (with corresponding live album). Among the musicians who played with Gregg on that tour are Chuck Leavell, Jaimoe, Randall Bramblett, Tommy Talton, and Scott Boyer. Because he was such a big part of so many of the tracks above, I did give a partial Chuck Leavell bonus here.

Otherwise, Gregg intermittently put out additional solo material throughout his career. Some of it, including the collaborations with then-wife Cher, is pretty terrible. Some of it is very good; not quite Allman Brothers-level material, but close. Most of it is in the middle. That includes his most successful solo recording, “I’m No Angel.”

The above recording of the Allman Brothers song “Wasted Words” is one of my favorites. It features Johnny Winter, Berry Oakley, and Buddy Miles. The live show he did in Macon in 2014 is also worth checking out. And his final album Southern Blood, despite being mostly covers, is also outstanding and definitely worth a listen.

Last edited:
T-16. Miles Davis (361 points)

Average song score: 2.84

# of 4-point songs: 7

Top 50 track bonus: #10 All Blues; #24 Call It Anything (live at The Isle of Wight Festival, 1970)

Personnel bonus: #2 miscellaneous/multi-instrumentalist (trumpet) Miles Davis; #1 miscellaneous/multi-instrumentalist (saxophone) John Coltrane (partial bonus); #17 drummer Tony Williams

Recommended listening: Agitation (live in Antwerp, 1967); All Blues; All Blues (live at the Plugged Nickel, 1965); Billy Boy; Bitches Brew; Blue in Green; Call It Anything (live at The Isle of Wight Festival, 1970); John McLaughlin; Miles Runs the Voodoo Down; Milestones; No Blues (live in Paris, 1960); Sanctuary; So What (live at the Plugged Nickel, 1965); Straight, No Chaser

Miles Davis had to be the top ranked jazz musician on the list. One of the most innovative musicians in history, Davis was the leader in multiple major new directions in jazz and through his work in jazz fusion heavily influenced rock. As The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll says, "Miles Davis played a crucial and inevitably controversial role in every major development in jazz since the mid-'40s, and no other jazz musician has had so profound an effect on rock."

He also surrounded himself with some of the best talent of any bandleader ever. As you can see above, a couple members of his band, Coltrane and Tony Williams, contribute partial bonuses here based on how much they played on the tracks I have. But Miles worked with many other great jazz legends: Cannonball Adderley, John McLaughlin, Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock, etc.

Actually it is probably a little unfair to include “John McLaughlin” in the recommended tracks here because Davis didn’t actually play on the track. But it was recorded by his band at the time and appeared on one of his most iconic albums, so this is where it got filed.

“All Blues” is the top ranked jazz track on my top 50 list. The quintessential modal jazz composition was profoundly influential on so much subsequent music, both jazz and rock. This includes inspiring the Allman Brothers song “Dreams.”

“Call It Anything” also gets a track bonus as maybe the most epic jazz improvisation ever. Miles was pushing the envelop at the height of his electric period when he played at Isle of Wight Festival. I have mentioned the festival a few other times and many tracks from it have appeared already in the countdown. It was basically the British Woodstock. Miles appearing at the festival was a major event bridging the gap between jazz and rock. His group went out and played an incredible 35-minute long improvisation that was the highlight of the festival. When asked what the piece was called, Davis simply said “Call it anything,” which became the name of various edits of the performance that were included on later albums. You can watch the full performance here.

15. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (388 points)

Total number of songs: 54

Average song score: 4.04

Top 50 track bonus: #13 Texas Flood; #31 Little Wing

Personnel bonus: #2 guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan

Recommended listening: Ain’t Gone ‘n’ Give Up on Love (live at Montreux Jazz Festival, 1985); Dirty Pool (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); Lenny; Life by the Drop; Little Wing; Mary Had a Little Lamb (live at Montreux Jazz Festival, 1985); Pride and Joy; Rude Mood; Scuttle Buttin’ (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); The Sky is Crying; Testify (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); Texas Flood; Tightrope; Voodoo Child (from Live Alive)

My second favorite guitarist ever is another musician who died way too young. Stevie Ray Vaughan’s career was only about seven years long, but in that time he left us with the single greatest collection of blues music any musician has ever compiled. Inspired by artists like Albert King, Lonnie Mack, and Jimi Hendrix, in my opinion Stevie was even better than any of them. His tone was so sweet. Every bend, all his vibrato, each slide was just so expressive.

I also think he is underrated as a vocalist and feel like he has a really great voice for blues music. In addition, Double Trouble deserves some props as they were a really great band.

The top end of Stevie’s output was incredible. You can see two tracks make my top 50, though it easily could have been more as “Rude Mood,” “The Sky is Crying,” and the above live version of “Dirty Pool” all got strong consideration as top 50 tracks. I especially love the horns in that last selection.

But more than anything, the consistency of SRV really impresses me. I don’t know that I have ever heard a recording from him that I didn’t really enjoy. As a result, all of the tracks by these guys are at least at the 3-point level, which is very rare in the countdown.

All that adds up to the strong 4.04 average. Really the only reason these guys aren’t top 10 is that I don’t have quite as much material by them as I do some other artists.

Among the above tracks, some of them are from the Live Alive album which doesn’t provide all the detail needed in the liner notes to give a definitive time and place of the recording. The recommended version of “Voodoo Child” was probably recorded in Dallas in 1986, but I just can’t say with enough certainty to list it as such.

14. The Band (464 points)

Total number of songs: 81

Average song score: 3.60

# of 5-point songs: 19

Top 50 track bonus: #12 The Weight; #42 Caravan (live from The Last Waltz); #45 Don’t Do It (live at The Academy of Music, 1971); #49 Forever Young (live from The Last Waltz)

Personnel bonus: #14 songwriter Robbie Robertson; #11 vocalist Levon Helm; #11 drummer Levon Helm

Recommended listening: Chest Fever; Don’t Do It (live at The Academy of Music, 1971); Forever Young (live from The Last Waltz); Get Up Jake (live at The Academy of Music, 1971); (I Don’t Want To) Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes (live at The Academy of Music, 1971); It Makes No Difference (live from The Last Waltz); Life is a Carnival; The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down; Ophelia (live from The Last Waltz); The Shape I’m In (live from The Last Waltz); Stagefright (live from The Last Waltz); This Wheel’s on Fire; Up on Cripple Creek (live from The Last Waltz); The Weight; The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show (live at The Academy of Music, 1971)

As mentioned way back at rank #324, The Band started as The Hawks, the backing band for Ronnie Hawkins. Of course, they became better known as the backing band for Bob Dylan. John Hammond Jr. made the initial connection between Dylan and The Band. They first toured with him as The Hawks in 1966, but changed their name when people started referring to them simply as “The Band.”

For years members of the group intermittently worked with Dylan, including on his first electric tours and on mid-60’s albums like Blonde on Blonde. But owing to the negative initial reaction of Dylan going electric, some members (particularly Levon Helm) were reluctant to be his permanent band. The full group did collaborate with Dylan to record Planet Waves and The Basement Tapes, along with the live album Before the Flood.

Their first album under their own name, Music from Big Pink, referred to the house in upstate New York where they worked on much of the material that years later would be released as The Basement Tapes. Dylan contributed to this album by helping write several of the songs and also doing the cover art, though he did not play on the album.

I assume most are familiar with The Last Waltz. This was The Band’s farewell concert from Thanksgiving Day 1976, famously made into a movie by Martin Scorsese. Guest performers at the concert included Dylan, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, Ronnie Hawkins, Emmylou Harris, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Wood, and Van Morrison.

Obviously The Last Waltz was one of the greatest concerts ever and anything on the album of the same name is great. Levon Helm’s performance on “Up on Cripple Creek” in particular is sickeningly good. But Rock of Ages, another live album recorded at the Academy of Music, is also worth mentioning. Allen Toussaint did the horn arrangements for the concert and it really makes tracks like the Holland/Dozier/Holland classic “Don’t Do It Stand” stand out.

I did make a mistake earlier. In the Van Morrison entry I said that “Caravan” was the only track that split a top 50 track bonus between two artists, but I forgot that I did that with a second song from the same album. “Forever Young” gets split between Bob Dylan and The Band.

Anyway, these guys were amazing. Robbie and Levon both get personnel bonuses, but each member of the band got strong consideration for one. Rich Danko could have easily had a bonus as a bassist. Danko and Richard Manuel were both outstanding vocalists and Garth Hudson is one of the best multi-instrumentalists ever.

15. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (388 points)

Total number of songs: 54

Average song score: 4.04

Top 50 track bonus: #13 Texas Flood; #31 Little Wing

Personnel bonus: #2 guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan

Recommended listening: Ain’t Gone ‘n’ Give Up on Love (live at Montreux Jazz Festival, 1985); Dirty Pool (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); Lenny; Life by the Drop; Little Wing; Mary Had a Little Lamb (live at Montreux Jazz Festival, 1985); Pride and Joy; Rude Mood; Scuttle Buttin’ (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); The Sky is Crying; Testify (live at Carnegie Hall, 1984); Texas Flood; Tightrope; Voodoo Child (from Live Alive)

My second favorite guitarist ever is another musician who died way too young. Stevie Ray Vaughan’s career was only about seven years long, but in that time he left us with the single greatest collection of blues music any musician has ever compiled. Inspired by artists like Albert King, Lonnie Mack, and Jimi Hendrix, in my opinion Stevie was even better than any of them. His tone was so sweet. Every bend, all his vibrato, each slide was just so expressive.

I also think he is underrated as a vocalist and feel like he has a really great voice for blues music. In addition, Double Trouble deserves some props as they were a really great band.

The top end of Stevie’s output was incredible. You can see two tracks make my top 50, though it easily could have been more as “Rude Mood,” “The Sky is Crying,” and the above live version of “Dirty Pool” all got strong consideration as top 50 tracks. I especially love the horns in that last selection.

But more than anything, the consistency of SRV really impresses me. I don’t know that I have ever heard a recording from him that I didn’t really enjoy. As a result, all of the tracks by these guys are at least at the 3-point level, which is very rare in the countdown.

All that adds up to the strong 4.04 average. Really the only reason these guys aren’t top 10 is that I don’t have quite as much material by them as I do some other artists.

Among the above tracks, some of them are from the Live Alive album which doesn’t provide all the detail needed in the liner notes to give a definitive time and place of the recording. The recommended version of “Voodoo Child” was probably recorded in Dallas in 1986, but I just can’t say with enough certainty to list it as such.
Great call. I'm surprised that you don't have anything from the Albert King session on your recommended list.

Users who are viewing this thread