What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (1 Viewer)

Just an FYI:

There were 23 RBs last year with 200+ carries. Of those 23, here were the only ones to finish below RB18 with 1 ppr:

Ballard 33rd

DMC 25th

BJGE 21st

Turner 22nd

Bradshaw 20th

Greene 19th

On that list, Ballard/BJGE/Greene are as mediocre as it gets. Turner was a shell of himself. And DMC/Bradshaw battled injuries.

If Miller tops 200 carries, which all indications at this point say he will, RB18 is probably his floor barring him being awful. His 4.9 ypc last year on 50 carries says otherwise (as does watching him).

Just saying.
Depends on his use as a receiver (and the Miami offense only got Bush 35 catches last year) and short yardage (for which the straight line plodder Thomas seems like a better fit).Is a stat line of 225 - 1000, 20 - 150, 6 TDs hugely unrealistic to you? That would have been RB23 last year.
Unrealistic? Absolutely not. Close to his absolute ceiling? Absolutely not.

This.

225 carries is not the absolute best case, oops, reasonable upside where Miller seems so clearly the lead back in a balanced offense. 4.0 is certainly not the reasonable upside for someone who averaged 4.9 over his rookie year when beginning his 2nd. 20 catches is not the reasonable upside for Miller, who can catch, replacing a guy who got 35 from a rookie QB now entering his second year. 6 TDs is clearly not the scoring upside for any 225+ lead back.

If Thomas is the primary goal line back and Miller can't pass block and gives up the third down role, if Tannehill turns sour and the offense implodes, if Miller gets badly hurt or Tannehill or a couple of OLs. I agree there are a lot of reasons he might not reach your reasonable upside projections. But if he is the guy the team is clearly saying they think he is, and if he runs well and holds the role and even shares the goal line work, he can blast through your best reasonable case. I get that you don't think he will be good, but calling Miller's reasonable upside a situation where he isn't the teams lead back is limiting him to your preconceptions and has nothing to do with what his reasonable upside is. But I'm willing to take your 'reasonable upside' as a middle ground projection.

And I am with the gentle brohan in wishing for Barry to have a striking comeback.

a reasonable upside projection would be something along the lines of 250 att, 1225 yards (4.9 YPC), 40 receptions for 400 yards, and 12 total TD's. that's 266 points in PPR, good for RB6. Do I expect him to hit these numbers? of course not, but each of these statistics can be argued as being within the realm of possibilities. I certainly don't expect him to be RB6, but I do expect him to be in the RB20-30 range.

Rotoworld

The Miami Herald confirms Lamar Miller has "done nothing to lose his firm grasp" on the Dolphins' starting tailback job so far in camp.
Alleged "competitor" Daniel Thomas fumbled in Saturday's practice, which is a recurring theme in Fumbling Dan's career. Meanwhile, Miller broke off two 20-plus-yard runs and added a 15-yard gain on a wheel route from Ryan Tannehill. One of the best aspects of Miller's fantasy outlook is he has no real competition.
All ahead full on Miller's ADP!

a reasonable upside projection would be something along the lines of 250 att, 1225 yards (4.9 YPC), 40 receptions for 400 yards, and 12 total TD's. that's 266 points in PPR, good for RB6. Do I expect him to hit these numbers? of course not, but each of these statistics can be argued as being within the realm of possibilities. I certainly don't expect him to be RB6, but I do expect him to be in the RB20-30 range.
What kind of stat line would put him at RB20?

What kind of stat line would put him at RB20?
RB20 is typically 185-190 pts.

900 rushing yds with 5 TDs is 120 points alone just on rushing totals. 30 receptions for 300 yards with 1 TD is another 66 points . That's 186 points. Those are fairly conservative numbers overal if the guy is truly the lead RB.

There were 29 RBs last year with 5 rushing TDs. There were 25 RBs that had over 30 catches (including guys like Snelling and Leshoure).

Rotoworld:

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin says Lamar Miller's improvement in pass protection began late last year.
Pass pro is critical for Miller because nailing down blitz protections would allow him to function as a three-down back, greatly increasing his fantasy value. "He can pass protect," Philbin said. "It took him a little while to get the responsibilities down, the blitz adjustments down. At the end of the year, he was very sound in his pass protection. He has good hands, can catch the football." Miller only touched the football seven times on third downs as a rookie, but his passing-game role projects to grow dramatically in '13.

Source: Miami Herald

Miller looking good, rest of the offense is horrible.
I'll give them a bit of a pass as it's kinda early, but they do have some things to work on for sure lol. But, I really liked how Miller looked for the most part.
Obviously it's pre-season, and I get that.

I am sure Miami fans are going Reggie who?
Seriously? He had a terrible fumble on his first carry. Miller showed good speed running through big holes on 2 of his 4 chances, but we already knew he had speed. Philip Tanner looked more impressive than Miller, even without the fumble.

Rotoworld:

The Palm Beach Post confirms Lamar Miller is "doubtful" to be challenged for his starting job.
We re-watched Miller's first-drive fumble in Sunday night's HOF game, and it seemed to be due to jitters. Ryan Tannehill placed the ball a touch low in Miller's belly, and the tailback tried running before the handoff was fully accepted. Daniel Thomas is not a threat. Continue to view Miller as a breakout candidate.

Source: Palm Beach Post

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller rushed twice for 21 yards in the Dolphins' preseason opener against the Cowboys.
The Dolphins opened the game with a botched handoff, as Ryan Tannehill put the pigskin in Miller's breadbasket and he kicked it to the recovering Cowboys. Immediately after the fumble -- which was offically charged to Tannehill -- ESPN's Adam Schefter reported there is "still uncertainty" about Miller among "some in (the) organization." Miller responded by ripping off back-to-back bursts of 11 and 10 yards, weaving through traffic and flashing his vertical jets. Miller's fumble seems like a fluke. As a rookie, he didn't put the ball on the ground once across 94 combined preseason and regular season touches.

I'll give them a bit of a pass as it's kinda early, but they do have some things to work on for sure lol. But, I really liked how Miller looked for the most part.

Seriously? He had a terrible fumble on his first carry. Miller showed good speed running through big holes on 2 of his 4 chances, but we already knew he had speed. Philip Tanner looked more impressive than Miller, even without the fumble.
He responded after the fumble, which is important. Finished with 2 carries for 21 yards. Not bad in limited action.

He responded after the fumble, which is important. Finished with 2 carries for 21 yards. Not bad in limited action.
I agree that it was important for him to respond the way he did, but those runs in no way wipe out the terrible fumble he had. To post that Dolphins fans are now saying "Reggie who?" after a performance where miller fumbled on 1 of 3 carries is stupid imo. At best, Miller's value is right where it was at before the game. At worst, it is slightly lower than before this game.

It was a botched exchange on the first play of their first of 5 preseason games. Bounced off his pads and he never had his arms around it. The placement was high but Miller should of secured it. Sure you don't like to see a mistake, but if it were a trend with the guy I'd be more worried. Ironically the Dolphins use Miller as an example to teach ball security.

“[Miller] is very, very fundamentally sound,” Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin said. “He is a guy where we talk to our team about ball security. ...There were a lot of good clips we showed the ball club yesterday of him in practice executing the fundamental of where we want to.

I don't think there was anything to gain from last night's 3 carries. The fumble was clearly his fault but you can easily blame jitters or extra excitement at live football finally being back. And as for the 2 big runs, the Dolphins had their starters out there while Dallas didn't really on defense. The run defense was completely out of position, over ran the play and looked terrible. When the RB runs 10-12 yards in a straight line without a defensive player even being close to him, it's usually more of an indictment on the defense or credit to the O-line than credit to the RB. He did show good burst though and Pouncey looked good.

I think Miller will get the lion's share of the carries this year, but I still don't see the Dolphin offense being that good. Miller is not an elite talent at all and will be further limited by a poor left side of the line and a passing attack that won't be any better than slightly above average at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miller looked really fast - he got to top speed in a blink. Both runs were off tackle. The fumble did look to be his fault.

Nothing we didn't know, in my opinion. Hopefully we get to see some more between the tackle over the next month.

This is why I hate preseason. Miller's fumble was a terrible mistake on his part. It's also part of every preseason. Miller has never had ball security issues in the past. He didnt fumble at all last year and I can't remember him fumbling at Mia either.

His 2 runs, while nice, told us basically nothing as well. The oline opened some decent holes and he showed incredible bust running thru them. Still, they were bland plays vs a mostly 2nd team defense.

The only thing I care about, he is still healthy.

Fumble means nothing imo. I put that 100% on nerves/excitement.
If he's getting nervous during the Hall of Fame Game, why do you think he won't have jitters when the games actually mean something? The fumble means nothing? Seriously? Take off the blinders, there's a bunch of red flags with Miller.

If he's getting nervous during the Hall of Fame Game, why do you think he won't have jitters when the games actually mean something? The fumble means nothing? Seriously? Take off the blinders, there's a bunch of red flags with Miller.
Right, it means nothing. More excitement/chompin at the bit than nerves probably.

It wasn't even a ball security issue. I don't think we need to worry about Miller having regular trouble accepting freakin handoffs.

Miller looked really fast - he got to top speed in a blink. Both runs were off tackle. The fumble did look to be his fault.

Nothing we didn't know, in my opinion. Hopefully we get to see some more between the tackle over the next month.
Totally agree with all of this.

Maybe you should put a few blinders on becauseyou're going 100% in the other direction.

Do you see a future where Miller is going to have issues taking a handoff? Was that a problem for him in high school or at Miami U? Sometimes things happen - that "fumble" will mean nothing, just like I doubt anyone is thinking Miller will average over 10 yards a carry during the regular season just because he did on his two carries last night.

What we saw with his 2 carriesis he was the fastest HB in the game , hit the holes quick and got to top speed even quicker. . Give Him a hole and he's going for big yards.

Users who are viewing this thread