What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (1 Viewer)

I think a lot of people in this thread are huge Beatles aficionados who might also not go with the heavy hitters so much.Ā  Overall, the rankings will probably smooth such that the big ones will do well, but I expect some quirky lists.Ā  I have a couple IRL friends who submitted lists that are generously considered quirky.
I'm very curious if there are going to be any unanimous songs.Ā  There are a some obvious ones that I would expect to be on most lists, but I'm not sure if any will be on all the lists.

That makes sense to me, though, Getz. It would be different if the catalog's quality wasn't so vast.
Yes - when people say they are not taking "chalk" (or some similar sentiment), I'm trying to figure out just was is exactly "chalk" with the Beatles? I mean I'm sure we could come up with the "Top 5" most well known songs - but this is a band where people like every song on most albums. It's just different than most bands.

Well, this is probably quirky.Ā  Also I didn't know there was such a thing.Ā  :popcorn: Ā for your list.

By the way, and this has nothing to do with these posts, but Getz and I have discussed, and this will be a spoiler-free zone.Ā  People can feel free to post whatever they want about their own lists, but we won't be saying stuff like "you have xx of the top 25" or giving away anything about the relative ranking of songs before posting them, etc. as in the LZ thread.Ā  Just our personal preference to do this one differently.

I'm surprised the old thread wasn't bumped when that came out - they played it a lot on the Beatles channel back when it was released.Ā  It's actually a pretty good list, IMO.Ā  They did the same thing we are doing here with Sirius listeners but without the epic write-ups and the super-intelligence of the posters we have here.Ā  No clue how many times they've done it/updated it but it was a fun listen on a road trip.

Yep, every list that comes in...... I'm like, "WTF, how canĀ thisĀ song be so low in the rankings? It's a great song."

I also find many of the songs NOT listed last time to be WTF also and way better than many that were listed.

Not to belabor the point and please don't you or Krista take this the wrong way but theoretically some songs are being left out due to the cut-off being 25.Ā  I realize you know that and also that we have to have a cutoff to get the most participation.Ā  So, no issues with it at all - just pointing out that everybody could have Maxwell's Silver Hammer as their 26th song and it could end up unranked and outside the top 150 here.

I would trust this group's composite rankings on the Beatles' records over any media creation. If "A Taste Of Honey" comes in at #1, so be it.

This is a good point too - while my hypothetical could happen, it won't and I'm not worried about it.Ā  We have an unbelievable amount of knowledge in this thread about the Beatles.

Yes - when people say they are not taking "chalk" (or some similar sentiment), I'm trying to figure out just was is exactly "chalk" with the Beatles? I mean I'm sure we could come up with the "Top 5" most well known songs - but this is a band where people like every song on most albums. It's just different than most bands.

Normally, when talking about music/bands, etc. I will say chalk to refer to the songs everyone knows and that get a lot of play time on the radio.Ā  You just can't do that with the Beatles like you can just about any other group.

Not to belabor the point and please don't you or Krista take this the wrong way but theoretically some songs are being left out due to the cut-off being 25.Ā  I realize you know that and also that we have to have a cutoff to get the most participation.Ā  So, no issues with it at all - just pointing out that everybody could have Maxwell's Silver Hammer as their 26th song and it could end up unranked and outside the top 150 here.
I get your point, but 164 songs have made the list.Ā  Ā Not sure sending in a top 50 would add more than 5 more songs right now.Ā 

It would sharpen up the 26 to 75 final list, but I must say I'm already seeing that happen this time with the more lists.Ā 

Normally, when talking about music/bands, etc. I will say chalk to refer to the songs everyone knows and that get a lot of play time on the radio.Ā  You just can't do that with the Beatles like you can just about any other group.
I have a friend who prefers the Stones. But the deeper and deeper we would go on our lists would favour The Beatles more and more. And from a much more condensed time period no less.

I'm very curious if there are going to be any unanimous songs.Ā  There are a some obvious ones that I would expect to be on most lists, but I'm not sure if any will be on all the lists.
If I were to guess, and I am, I'd say 2

I'm sorry, but with the deadline so close, I'm not taking any more changed lists.

It just took me 20 minutes to do a change of a list and I don't like you guysĀ thatĀ much.Ā  :lmao:

I do owe Wikkid a change if he wants one.
Well, i just finished watching Get Back and it helped me FINALLY figure out my favorite Beatles song - the one i'm listening to. The sharpness of Lennon, the fullness of McCartney, the stillness of Harrison, the fillness of Starkey. When i get to hear that fusion - even when they're just fission - i'm as happy with music as i can ever be. nufced

*no changes, thx, g*

I get your point, but 164 songs have made the list.Ā  Ā Not sure sending in a top 50 would add more than 5 more songs right now.Ā 

It would sharpen up the 26 to 75 final list, but I must say I'm already seeing that happen this time with the more lists.Ā 
I think weā€™d also lose some number of rankers the more songs we required of them. Ā And 50 would just be another random cutoff.

Next time everyone should be required to rank 204.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iā€™m coming to you live right now from my eyebrow microblading , btw. Ā Thatā€™s thread dedication!

There were none in the Zep countdown, and the Beatles have more songs, only of which a small handful are universally disliked. So I would bet large sums that we will have none here either.

There were none in the Zep countdown, and the Beatles have more songs, only of which a small handful are universally disliked. So I would bet large sums that we will have none here either.
Agree and knowing some of the songs I left off itā€™s no surprise. Ā If you had to guess one what would it be? Ā I guess Iā€™d take a random guess at Abbey Road medley because you get so much content and styles in it. Ā If Iā€™m picking a single song Iā€™d guess In My Life.

Agree and knowing some of the songs I left off itā€™s no surprise. Ā If you had to guess one what would it be? Ā I guess Iā€™d take a random guess at Abbey Road medley because you get so much content and styles in it. Ā If Iā€™m picking a single song Iā€™d guess In My Life.
I'm amateur hour in this crowd with this band, but leaving in my life off a list seems blasphemous. I'm sure there will be some outliers though.Ā 

I have a friend who prefers the Stones. But the deeper and deeper we would go on our lists would favour The Beatles more and more. And from a much more condensed time period no less.
I was an unabashed "Stones over Beatles" guy most of my life. I liked the Beatles, but I grew up with it. My older sisters were fanatics, and my older brothers were in their rebellious teens through Beatlemania. The first album I ever bought for myself was a Stones compilation (like the K-tel records ones) off a TV commercial. It had a lot of the older, bluesy stuff- like High Tides and Green grass stuff. I wore that #### out on the record player. And it was mine. My music that I picked. Plus, there was the more "bad boy" image that resonated with me, at the time. Always wanted to thumb my nose at some authority.

I never disliked the Beatles. Always appreciated them for being so ground-breaking and talented, but kinda took them for granted. It wasn't until later that I had to admit that the Stones couldn't hold the Beatles jocks, musically. Don't get me wrong, the Stones are still icons: Brian was a misunderstood genius and i love me some Keef. But the Beatles are just on another level, once in a lifetime talents.

When Let It Be came out and I saw the trailers; I was just blown away. The raw power of hearing some of those songs with fresh ears gave me chills. I sat and watched all 9 hours in 2 days, and would happily have watched more. I'll buy the Peter Jackson 64 hour box set, if they sell it. It set me off on a discovery of more and more. Watching videos and finally getting around to reading the original krista thread.

I'm amateur hour in this crowd with this band, but leaving in my life off a list seems blasphemous. I'm sure there will be some outliers though.Ā 
IRL, I like to consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the Beatles. Ā In here, Iā€™m barely above an amateur. Ā In My Life is very high on my list.

Guys?Ā  GUYS??!?!?!

I had something amazing happen today.Ā  And it wasn't the eyebrow microblading.Ā  It was something I had been waiting for for many years.Ā  Something that, many years from now, Binky's grandchildren Vera, Chuck and Dave will be writing about. Someday one of them will start a thread on rememberwhentherewasfootball.com, talking about the Beatles, and when they do their "this day in Beatles history," they won't mention the Ed Sullivan show, oh no no no they won't, they will say that, on this date in 2022, krista4 landed the first ever in competition...

Quad-Beatles!!!

Yes, in fact, today while driving I found Beatles-related songs simultaneously on four different SiriusXM channels.Ā  Remember when I was excited just for a triple Beatle?Ā  Today I got:

Live and Let Die, live by Wings - Classic VinylĀ  :pickle: Ā 

She Loves You - Underground GarageĀ  :pickle: Ā  :pickle:

She's Leaving Home -- Deep TracksĀ  :confused: Ā 

A Fool on the Hill - Beatles channelĀ  :mellow: Ā  @Getzlaf15

Guys?Ā  GUYS??!?!?!

I had something amazing happen today.Ā  And it wasn't the eyebrow microblading.Ā  It was something I had been waiting for for many years.Ā  Something that, many years from now, Binky's grandchildren Vera, Chuck and Dave will be writing about. Someday one of them will start a thread on rememberwhentherewasfootball.com, talking about the Beatles, and when they do their "this day in Beatles history," they won't mention the Ed Sullivan show, oh no no no they won't, they will say that, on this date in 2022, krista4 landed the first ever in competition...

Quad-Beatles!!!

Yes, in fact, today while driving I found Beatles-related songs simultaneously on four different SiriusXM channels.Ā  Remember when I was excited just for a triple Beatle?Ā  Today I got:

A Fool on the Hill - Beatles channelĀ  :mellow: Ā  @Getzlaf15ā¤ļø

Guys?Ā  GUYS??!?!?!

Quad-Beatles!!!

Quads you say?

I once heard Band On The Run 106 times in one day and on SEVEN different stations at the same time.

It was interesting to find some stations played their songs a little faster than others as some that were a little behind caught up and passed others.

Guys?Ā  GUYS??!?!?!

Quad-Beatles!!!

Beep beep'm beep beep yeah :drive:

The one I would have thought would be on all lists would be A Day In The Life.Ā  I learned from our earlier thread, though, that this won't be the case.

I think In My Life is a perfect song, and it was (and :spoiler: will remain) my #1, but I could see why it isn't on some lists.
This may not make mine.Ā  :whistle: Ā **BLASPHEMOUS, MAC!!!**

It's somewhere within my last ones in/last ones out. It's a great song, but it doesn't grab my attention nor do I seek it out. Given the depth of this catalog that matters and could lead to it being squeezed. We'll see how the last couple spins through go...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread